Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Do you think he'll be a bust ?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Yes, I do
29%
Nah
71%

Total votes: 157

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Re: Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ? 

Post#61 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:43 pm

LastNameEver wrote:Alright, so this kid is displaying Kyrie body control in a 300 lbs body with prime Blake Griffin athleticism.
His vision is better than a lot of guards and he can get to the rim at will because he's stronger than everybody with above average ball security (this surprised me)..

Only suspect thing is his perimeter shooting but we knew that ahead of time.

What are some other critiques that you guys see that could potentially hinder him going forward ? :o

If you want to compare him to the best parts of and a hybrid of Irving and Griffin... yeah its safe to say he will underwhelm this year. Good lord :roll:
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Re: Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ? 

Post#62 » by LastNameEver » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:Alright, so this kid is displaying Kyrie body control in a 300 lbs body with prime Blake Griffin athleticism.
His vision is better than a lot of guards and he can get to the rim at will because he's stronger than everybody with above average ball security (this surprised me)..

What are some other critiques that you guys see that could potentially hinder him going forward ? :o

If you want to compare him to the best parts of and a hybrid of Irving and Griffin... yeah its safe to say he will underwhelm this year. Good lord :roll:

I dont see your attempted point though.
He has tools comparable to both of those.

You could simply say that he doesn't have similar traits but youd be kidding yourself.
He has elite body control, especially for his size and he has athleticism that is comparable to BG. That doesn't mean hes a hybrid of those players, like you contorted my words to say.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#63 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 pm

LastNameEver wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

You could simply say that he doesn't have similar traits but youd be kidding yourself.
He has elite body control, especially for his size and he has athleticism that is comparable to BG.

No, he really doesn’t. Especially Kyrie, lol at me being the one kidding themself here.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#64 » by LastNameEver » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

He has elite body control, especially for his size and he has athleticism that is comparable to BG.

No, he really doesn’t. Especially Kyrie, lol at me being the one kidding themself here.

Yes, he really does.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,239

Post#65 » by Funcrusher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm

LastNameEver wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

He has elite body control, especially for his size and he has athleticism that is comparable to BG. That doesn't mean hes a hybrid of those players, like you contorted my words to say.

don't bother with him, he's a troll and established Zion hater. Lol at his athleticism not being comparable to Griffin
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,239

Post#66 » by Funcrusher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:03 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:People think an usersized big consistently getting shots at the rim is an indictment.

Seriously. Would you rather him take mid-range shots or even threes than the most statistically efficient shot in the game (layups and dunks)? Like, people realize that's essentially Giannis' shot chart, right? Who is a superstar. A. Superstar.

Well if he only has one way to score he will be easy to figure out. Isn’t this issue the same as Simmons?

well sure he will have to take the occasional jumper when he is completely walled off from the paint, but 1: that's not going to happen very often, he's a significantly better athlete than Simmons and once he turns the corner on his initial defender it's pretty much impossible to stop him from getting in the paint and 2: he's not a total non-shooter like Simmons and shot 34% from 3 last year (albeit almost entirely from wide-open set shots)
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#67 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:06 pm

underwhelm is such a loaded word for him because he has been compared to lebron and gotten that level of hype and that is just not fair to him. i think he is going to have a really good rookie year but i don't think it's possible to meet the bar that's been set for him in the media and fans etc in his 1st year
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#68 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:Seriously. Would you rather him take mid-range shots or even threes than the most statistically efficient shot in the game (layups and dunks)? Like, people realize that's essentially Giannis' shot chart, right? Who is a superstar. A. Superstar.

Well if he only has one way to score he will be easy to figure out. Isn’t this issue the same as Simmons?

well sure he will have to take the occasional jumper when he is completely walled off from the paint, but 1: that's not going to happen very often, he's a significantly better athlete than Simmons and once he turns the corner on his initial defender it's pretty much impossible to stop him from getting in the paint and 2: he's not a total non-shooter like Simmons and shot 34% from 3 last year (albeit almost entirely from wide-open set shots)

It will be interesting to see how teams adapt to him and how he readapts back.
Forum permissions