Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#101 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Well this is propaganda and BS at its finest. It would never be 10 x 15% first off.ll but and it would never happen en masse by teams two days later. And how can anyone believe this trash....it’s just another reason to shut down people’s free speech. :banghead:

Two days later.. in October... teams prepping scenarios for caps situation over a year years away. ... and nobody asked if this would be an insane overreaction? honestly, could we have any kind of critical thinking before posting trash.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#102 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Honestly, Darryl Morey really does deserve to be fired for this. I wouldn't want the Rockets to do it for several reasons, but he really did some serious damage here.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#103 » by LofJ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
LofJ wrote:
ropjhk wrote:This thread has been derailed. I was hoping for some discussion on how the hit to the salary cap would affect each team and which teams are poised to benefit and which teams would be most screwed over. Instead the political discussion just goes on.

I guess people don't care much about basketball anymore.

I think the teams that will be most negatively affected are the ones that will be over the lowered cap and still have players to re-sign. So teams like the Pacers (Sabonis), Celtics (Brown), Magic (Isaac, Augustin), and Nuggets (Beasley, Millsap, Plumlee) might need to find a way to cut future salary obligations or they could be forced to let some of these guys walk.

Wouldn't it affect teams with cap space too, though? Like, Brown and Sabonis may not get the money they want since a lot less teams would have max space

If this year's class of unrestricted free agents was better that would likely happen, but it's not so I expect that young, good players like Sabonis and Brown are still going to get paid, either by the team that drafted them or by someone else.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#104 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Can anyone here explain how the escrow rules play a role in all of this? My understanding is already players are only paid 90% of their salary and then based on BRI they are paid out of the escrow based on where the BRI went. So a drop in revenue would mean they do not get the full escrow back and an increase means they'd get it plus additional funds.

Not sure how that flows into a cap though. Is the cap hold based on expected numbers as well and thus dynamic?
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#105 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:OK so lets assume the Chinese GOV is upset with the NBA. How exactly does that translate to financial losses? Have the games been banned there?

They can stop all NBA operations, stop televising games, advertising etc. It's not unprecedented for China to go to such extreme measures.

And the money is all tv. And the nba has a contract and still gets paid. So how is any of this a reality when it talks about teams prepping.

As for biting their own nose off to spite their face.., doubtful. All that money isn’t just going into US pockets.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,075

Post#106 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:OK so lets assume the Chinese GOV is upset with the NBA. How exactly does that translate to financial losses? Have the games been banned there?

They can stop all NBA operations, stop televising games, advertising etc. It's not unprecedented for China to go to such extreme measures.

And the money is all tv. And the nba has a contract and still gets paid. So how is any of this a reality when it talks about teams prepping.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/10/09/nba-china-hong-kong-whats-at-stake/3912447002/#targetText=In%20July%2C%20China's%20Tencent%20reached,including%20coverage%20of%20the%20playoffs.

Not to mention sponsorships and such.

Contracts usually have an out, I imagine something like this would qualify.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,443

Post#107 » by ropjhk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:49 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
LofJ wrote:
ropjhk wrote:This thread has been derailed. I was hoping for some discussion on how the hit to the salary cap would affect each team and which teams are poised to benefit and which teams would be most screwed over. Instead the political discussion just goes on.

I think the teams that will be most negatively affected are the ones that will be over the lowered cap and still have players to re-sign. So teams like the Pacers (Sabonis), Celtics (Brown), Magic (Isaac, Augustin), and Nuggets (Beasley, Millsap, Plumlee) might need to find a way to cut future salary obligations or they could be forced to let some of these guys walk.

Wouldn't it affect teams with cap space too, though? Like, Brown and Sabonis may not get the money they want since a lot less teams would have max space

I think the teams with cap space will benefit in the long run. If there is no end in sight to the China ban in 2020, then free agents will be cheap that year and fewer players will get max contracts as teams expect future revenues and cap levels to drop. The 2021 free agency class is the one to watch because of the big names involved. If the salary cap continues to goes down, then free agents will end up signing for less as the max contract and mle go down as they are pegged to the salary cap.

When the salary cap is dropping and expected to keep dropping teams who have a lot of players signed long term will suffer the most. Those long term salaries with their pre negotiated salary increases will eat more and more of the cap, making those players harder to trade and giving those teams less room under the cap to improve their teams.

Conversely, when the salary cap is rising faster than usual and expected to do so, teams with longterm contracts signed when the cap was still low will benefit. Golden State was able to sign KD because Klay, Steph and Dray were already signed longterm before the salary cap really exploded for the 2016-2017 season.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,443

Post#108 » by ropjhk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Or maybe people realize there are way more important issues going on right now than the **** nba

There are always more important issues going on than basketball. There are plenty more important issues than China and Hong Kong. Basketball is supposed to be a distraction to help us relax our minds away from these things.

We already have multiple threads talking about the politics of the China-HK situation. I think we'd be better off saving this thread for basketball related talk in regards to the salary cap.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#109 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Well this is propaganda and BS at its finest. It would never be 10 x 15% first off.ll but and it would never happen en masse by teams two days later. And how can anyone believe this trash....it’s just another reason to shut down people’s free speech. :banghead:

Two days later.. in October... teams prepping scenarios for caps situation over a year years away. ... and nobody asked if this would be an insane overreaction? honestly, could we have any kind of critical thinking before posting trash.

That’s how the price of gas is set as well. It’s called the speculative market. It’s like when Iran bombed the Saudi oil fields, the speculation was that the world supply of oil would be reduced therefore the price of gas at the pump immediately went up about 50 cents per gallon. The Saudis brought their productions back to normal in two weeks with a minimal to impact to actual supply production, but the price of gas remains high.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
TheDoors24
Rookie
And1: 1,050

Post#110 » by TheDoors24 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Honestly, Darryl Morey really does deserve to be fired for this. I wouldn't want the Rockets to do it for several reasons, but he really did some serious damage here.

100%. The league is going to feel this impact for a while and i also think the Rockets will be impacted. Will the owner want to invest as much if he lost all that sweet sweet china money?
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#111 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Well this is propaganda and BS at its finest. It would never be 10 x 15% first off.ll but and it would never happen en masse by teams two days later. And how can anyone believe this trash....it’s just another reason to shut down people’s free speech. :banghead:

That’s how the price of gas is set as well. It’s called the speculative market. It’s like when Iran bombed the Saudi oil fields, the speculation was that the world supply of oil would be reduced therefore the price of gas at the pump immediately went up about 50 cents per gallon. The Saudis brought their productions back to normal in two weeks with a minimal to impact to actual supply production, but the price of gas remains high.

NBA teams are not futures Chicago or stocks tracked on the Dow or S&P, nor would their yearly financial projections, budgets, and most importantly cap space projections which have nothing to do with either of those... require revising after 48 hours with no known outcome.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,447

Post#112 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm

bisme37 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:
Maxes would lowered since they're dependent on % of the cap (which future projections would be incorrect for with the 10-15% decrease).

And in theory salaries across the board could be lowered to make up for losses, but that's something the NBA hasn't had to do because so far just holding back a % of the salary has been sufficient to make up for any slop in the final numbers.

So, short of digging in to the CBA, I guess we'll have to see ...

You can't change an existing contract because you suddenly don't want to pay the contracted amount. It's signed and legally binding. So I don't think that theory is valid.

NHL and NHLPA did a salary rollback of 24% back in 2005. As long as the rollback is collectively bargained between the League and the Players Association, the Courts will allow it.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#113 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:

NBA teams are not futures Chicago or stocks tracked on the Dow or S&P, nor would their yearly financial projections, budgets, and most importantly cap space projections which have nothing to do with either of those... require revising after 48 hours with no known outcome.

I never said that they were I was just pointing out what these guys are doing by projecting the future cap in the NBA.
Forum permissions