ESPN Muzzles it's on air talent and refuses to allow them to speak on Hong Kong

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,420

Re: ESPN Muzzles it's on air talent and refuses to allow them to speak on Hong Kong 

Post#61 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:33 pm

dautjazz wrote:I know some full is going blow a tantrum, but Disney has 231.42 billion market capital, with their brand all over China with theme parks, TV, movies, etc. Considering China's GDP is over 15% of the World's GDP and growing, you better believe they are going to stay neutral.

I think you meant to say you better believe they are not going to stay neutral. Read the first part of your comment again and you'll see what I'm saying.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,845

Re: ESPN Muzzles it's on air talent and refuses to allow them to speak on Hong Kong 

Post#62 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 am

MotownMadness wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm pretty certain that the NBA must have told the players to fall back here and let Silver handle things and take the heat. As a collective, that's the wisest decision for both the league and players. Silver got up, apologized for offending, and then rightfully defended Darry Morey's right to free speech as an American. I'm not sure why some of you folks are upset that the players or coaches aren't going gung ho in this situation especially when most likely not a lot of them understand the situation regarding Chinese Sovereignty and the issues with HK, Tibet, etc like they do the ongoing social issues here in the United States...only a fool offers an opinion about something he doesn't know anything about. It isn't really reported in the American mainstream news media, in fact this is the most attention it has gotten.

Fact is, I think some of you just want them to start talking **** about China for your own agenda, which I suspect isn't in good faith from some folks on here, because you're upset that coaches like Pop and Kerr took aim at particular social issues which tends to send folks who lean a certain way politically on here into fits of rage.

That being said, sports has always carried political undertones to it, especially since the days the pro leagues started integrating. This isn't anything new....so to the folks that keep screaming "KEEP POLITICS OUT OF MUH SPORTS!", you're either very, very ignorant of US history, or you've got blinders on. Probably a bit of both.

Lol you only like them talking politics cause they act like liberal puppets. Trust me im sure if you tuned into watch sports and had to listen to Pro Republican talk instead you would sing a different tune.

Look here Trumper, I watch sports to watch sports, not to hear political commentary. 99% of the time I turn on a sporting event the discussion is about what's happening in the event, not politics....so this false idea that you're being bombarded with liberal talking points on sports shows is a load of horse ****.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#63 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm pretty certain that the NBA must have told the players to fall back here and let Silver handle things and take the heat. As a collective, that's the wisest decision for both the league and players. Silver got up, apologized for offending, and then rightfully defended Darry Morey's right to free speech as an American. I'm not sure why some of you folks are upset that the players or coaches aren't going gung ho in this situation especially when most likely not a lot of them understand the situation regarding Chinese Sovereignty and the issues with HK, Tibet, etc like they do the ongoing social issues here in the United States...only a fool offers an opinion about something he doesn't know anything about. It isn't really reported in the American mainstream news media, in fact this is the most attention it has gotten.

Fact is, I think some of you just want them to start talking **** about China for your own agenda, which I suspect isn't in good faith from some folks on here, because you're upset that coaches like Pop and Kerr took aim at particular social issues which tends to send folks who lean a certain way politically on here into fits of rage.

That being said, sports has always carried political undertones to it, especially since the days the pro leagues started integrating. This isn't anything new....so to the folks that keep screaming "KEEP POLITICS OUT OF MUH SPORTS!", you're either very, very ignorant of US history, or you've got blinders on. Probably a bit of both.

Lol you only like them talking politics cause they act like liberal puppets. Trust me im sure if you tuned into watch sports and had to listen to Pro Republican talk instead you would sing a different tune.

Look here Trumper, I watch sports to watch sports, not to hear political commentary. 99% of the time I turn on a sporting event the discussion is about what's happening in the event, not politics....so this false idea that you're being bombarded with liberal talking points on sports shows is a load of horse ****.

Triggered
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,420

Post#64 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:09 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
https://deadspin.com/internal-memo-espn-forbids-discussion-of-chinese-polit-1838881032

This could be because Chuck Salituro, the senior news director of ESPN, sent a memo to shows mandating that any discussion of the Daryl Morey story avoid any political discussions about China and Hong Kong, and instead focus on the related basketball issues. The memo, obtained by Deadspin, explicitly discouraged any political discussion about China and Hong Kong. Multiple ESPN sources confirmed to Deadspin that network higher-ups were keeping a close eye on how the topic was discussed on ESPN’s airwaves.

ESPN first kicked off coverage of the Morey tweet Monday morning with SportsCenter doing a quick news hit on the topic. The segment steered clear of any political discussions, but notably called the protestors in Hong Kong “anti-government” protestors. Then, Mike Golic Jr. and Trey Wingo took up the discussion on their show, focusing mostly on how the story would have been different if James Harden or another star player had said what Morey said. Next, Stephen A. Smith went on the radio and delivered this gem. Highly Questionable featured a discussion with sportswriters Frank Isola and Israel Gutierrez that recapped the situation and wondered whether China would be placated by the league’s efforts at smoothing over the relationship

Some clarification. The memo said employees could talk about Morey and basketball issues, but they could not talk about China or Hong Kong. This does not amount to staying out of politics. Effectively, it gives employees the option to stay out of politics, but also makes it okay for them to side against Daryl Morey (and, by extension, Hong Kong, human rights, and freedom). Without having to say it, what the memo meant was that they could blame Morey for the impending loss of revenue, but they could not praise him for his pro-democracy stance (because that would make reference to "Hong Kong and China"). Obviously, no one is allowed to blame China for the loss of revenue, because that would be talking about China, which isn't allowed, per the memo. The only problem with this memo is that it leaves out the possibility of sharing one thing: the truth. The truth is that it's the CCP who's being unreasonable in its totally disproportionate reaction to the tweet.
Utterly reprehensible from ESPN (though, yes, as one commentator said, it's as predictable as the sun rising). I've seen this for ten years of China-watching now. There were many years, during Obama's presidency, mostly, when all reporting on China seemed to require the phrase "escalating tensions" in reference to whichever party wasn't China. The phrase isn't in vogue anymore, but if it were, you'd see a hundred pieces in a hundred newspapers saying how Morey's tweet had contributed to "escalating tensions" with China. As though China were completely absolved of any culpability, an innocent victim of escalating tensions. Nope. You know who's constantly escalating the tensions? I'll give you one guess. Fortunately, people are starting to wake up, and many media outlets can no longer get away with such China pandering. ESPN, being a sports and entertainment outlet, can and does get away with it, so it seems.

To be clear, I'm fine with those commentators who are remarking on the potential loss of revenue, etc.. This is valid and valuable. I, like most people in this thread, want my sports news to be free of political opinions. However, many commentators have slid from there into actually implying that Morey is somehow at fault - for speaking out against a regime that's possibly the worst in human history. The ones who have done this have lost my respect forever - or until they change their stance. I will literally avoid these voices at all costs, indefinitely. That's how disgusted I am by their takes. I'm mostly referring to a couple of podcasters, but this applies to anyone else I see taking such stances in the future, too.

But, (as has probably already been mentioned in this thread,) ESPN is owned by Disney, who has a gigantic stake in China. China is the largest movie market for Disney, and they have theme parks over there, too. I'm not familiar with all the intricacies of the corporate ties involved (I'm sure it gets more corrupt the more you look at it), but this part, at least, is pretty well known.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#65 » by spacemonkey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Just lol, ESPN...
Read on Twitter
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,661

Post#66 » by hyper316 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Players are out-spoken about politics (i.e. Trump) and I dont see NBA stopping that
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,345

Post#67 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 pm

It amazes me that people think it fine and normal to say nothing on issues like this. That all these guys have to stay quiet. Wtf is wrong with thus culture. This is how the expression “turning a blind eye” was invented. Its like people think it’s still the 1930s.

I have even less respect for ESPN. They aren’t news Let’s make that clear. But the tv and radio personalities just being toadies about it, all toadying along, just disgust me.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#68 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Triples333 wrote:This is NOT the Kaepernick story people. This is much, MUCH bigger and involves two superpowers with a very tenuous relationship where the only common ground is commerce. The NBA can do without China, but it would be at the cost of hundreds of billions of capital to them, networks like ESPN, endorsement deals to players (rest assure, the players do NOT want a feud with China, that's why they have not spoken up), etc. China does not want to lose the NBA either, but they have the upper hand in this discussion.

It is unfolding as predicted so far. Inevitably unless Silver backs off his stance even further, we will likely lose their business in the near future. It will hurt the NBA (endorsements lost, cap money for teams plummet, and networks/the league lose their largest growing market), but from MY angle I say good riddance (easy to say for me/us with essentially nothing at stake).

You just have to understand that this is a situation that has massive implications and that memo from ESPN to its employees is as predictable as the sun rising. It would have been beyond wreckless not to proceed cautiously here.

I would love to learn what % of the NBA's yearly earnings comes from the Chinese market.

Less than Canada and they don’t seem to have any problem saying stuff to piss off this entire country all the time that really isn’t even done for a reason!! ;)
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#69 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:55 pm

This coming from the most magical place on earth .ESPN gets political when they can. Look at Kapernick
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#70 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Triples333 wrote:This is NOT the Kaepernick story people. This is much, MUCH bigger and involves two superpowers with a very tenuous relationship where the only common ground is commerce. The NBA can do without China, but it would be at the cost of hundreds of billions of capital to them, networks like ESPN, endorsement deals to players (rest assure, the players do NOT want a feud with China, that's why they have not spoken up), etc. China does not want to lose the NBA either, but they have the upper hand in this discussion.

It is unfolding as predicted so far. Inevitably unless Silver backs off his stance even further, we will likely lose their business in the near future. It will hurt the NBA (endorsements lost, cap money for teams plummet, and networks/the league lose their largest growing market), but from MY angle I say good riddance (easy to say for me/us with essentially nothing at stake).

You just have to understand that this is a situation that has massive implications and that memo from ESPN to its employees is as predictable as the sun rising. It would have been beyond wreckless not to proceed cautiously here.

I would love to learn what % of the NBA's yearly earnings comes from the Chinese market.

Less than Canada and they don’t seem to have any problem saying stuff to piss off this entire country all the time that really isn’t even done for a reason!! ;)

Yeah but it's all love though

ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,443

Post#71 » by ropjhk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:It amazes me that people think it fine and normal to say nothing on issues like this. That all these guys have to stay quiet. Wtf is wrong with thus culture. This is how the expression “turning a blind eye” was invented. Its like people think it’s still the 1930s.

I have even less respect for ESPN. They aren’t news Let’s make that clear. But the tv and radio personalities just being toadies about it, all toadying along, just disgust me.

I'm all for people expressing their opinion. I just wish it could be done in a more thoughtful way. When it comes to China, there is plenty of echo chambering going on.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#72 » by abark » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm

For the whole "keep politics out of sports" crowd

Do you feel the same way before a football game when they sing the national anthem while holding oversized American flags all over the field, with soldiers everywhere, and military jets flying over the stadium?

You do understand they are paid by the government to do much of this in a partnership to help recruit young people to join the armed forces. That is over 5 million of our tax dollars over the last three years for a straight up propaganda effort.

And even though the NFL is the most egregious, the department of defense has contracts with every major sports league.

If you want politics out of sports, I at least hope you find that much more disturbing than a conversation about social justice.

In the end, nearly every aspect of your life is impacted by politics, regardless of whether you are aware of it or want to talk about it.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#73 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 pm

ropjhk wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:It amazes me that people think it fine and normal to say nothing on issues like this. That all these guys have to stay quiet. Wtf is wrong with thus culture. This is how the expression “turning a blind eye” was invented. Its like people think it’s still the 1930s.

I'm all for people expressing their opinion. I just wish it could be done in a more thoughtful way. When it comes to China, there is plenty of echo chambering going on.

There’s been one tweet. One **** tweet. That’s all that was said by anyone from the nba or espn is any capacity. And China overacts like a child would and shuts it down. No, I think I can stand to hear lots of them express their opinions.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#74 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm

abark wrote:For the whole "keep politics out of sports" crowd

Do you feel the same way before a football game when they sing the national anthem while holding oversized American flags all over the field, with soldiers everywhere, and military jets flying over the stadium?

You do understand they are paid by the government to do much of this in a partnership to help recruit young people to join the armed forces. That is over 5 million of our tax dollars over the last three years for a straight up propaganda effort.

And even though the NFL is the most egregious, the department of defense has contracts with every major sports league.

If you want politics out of sports, I at least hope you find that much more disturbing than a conversation about social justice.

Sports has always had political undertones to it over the last 100 years. We can start with Jesse Owens competing in the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany, pissing off Adolf Hitler, and work our way downwards and you will rarely ever find a time where sports and political issues did not intersect.

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#75 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:24 pm

My respect for Kyrie Irving would go up about one million-fold if he would just re-tweet Darryl Morey's tweet (I guess it was deleted but whatever.) He seems spacey enough sometimes to pull something like that.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#76 » by Laimbeer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 pm

They've been discussing it on First Take.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#77 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:10 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
https://deadspin.com/internal-memo-espn-forbids-discussion-of-chinese-polit-1838881032

This could be because Chuck Salituro, the senior news director of ESPN, sent a memo to shows mandating that any discussion of the Daryl Morey story avoid any political discussions about China and Hong Kong, and instead focus on the related basketball issues. The memo, obtained by Deadspin, explicitly discouraged any political discussion about China and Hong Kong. Multiple ESPN sources confirmed to Deadspin that network higher-ups were keeping a close eye on how the topic was discussed on ESPN’s airwaves.

ESPN first kicked off coverage of the Morey tweet Monday morning with SportsCenter doing a quick news hit on the topic. The segment steered clear of any political discussions, but notably called the protestors in Hong Kong “anti-government” protestors. Then, Mike Golic Jr. and Trey Wingo took up the discussion on their show, focusing mostly on how the story would have been different if James Harden or another star player had said what Morey said. Next, Stephen A. Smith went on the radio and delivered this gem. Highly Questionable featured a discussion with sportswriters Frank Isola and Israel Gutierrez that recapped the situation and wondered whether China would be placated by the league’s efforts at smoothing over the relationship

Some clarification. The memo said employees could talk about Morey and basketball issues, but they could not talk about China or Hong Kong. This does not amount to staying out of politics. Effectively, it gives employees the option to stay out of politics, but also makes it okay for them to side against Daryl Morey (and, by extension, Hong Kong, human rights, and freedom). Without having to say it, what the memo meant was that they could blame Morey for the impending loss of revenue, but they could not praise him for his pro-democracy stance (because that would make reference to "Hong Kong and China"). Obviously, no one is allowed to blame China for the loss of revenue, because that would be talking about China, which isn't allowed, per the memo. The only problem with this memo is that it leaves out the possibility of sharing one thing: the truth. The truth is that it's the CCP who's being unreasonable in its totally disproportionate reaction to the tweet.
Utterly reprehensible from ESPN (though, yes, as one commentator said, it's as predictable as the sun rising). I've seen this for ten years of China-watching now. There were many years, during Obama's presidency, mostly, when all reporting on China seemed to require the phrase "escalating tensions" in reference to whichever party wasn't China. The phrase isn't in vogue anymore, but if it were, you'd see a hundred pieces in a hundred newspapers saying how Morey's tweet had contributed to "escalating tensions" with China. As though China were completely absolved of any culpability, an innocent victim of escalating tensions. Nope. You know who's constantly escalating the tensions? I'll give you one guess. Fortunately, people are starting to wake up, and many media outlets can no longer get away with such China pandering. ESPN, being a sports and entertainment outlet, can and does get away with it, so it seems.

To be clear, I'm fine with those commentators who are remarking on the potential loss of revenue, etc.. This is valid and valuable. I, like most people in this thread, want my sports news to be free of political opinions. However, many commentators have slid from there into actually implying that Morey is somehow at fault - for speaking out against a regime that's possibly the worst in human history. The ones who have done this have lost my respect forever - or until they change their stance. I will literally avoid these voices at all costs, indefinitely. That's how disgusted I am by their takes. I'm mostly referring to a couple of podcasters, but this applies to anyone else I see taking such stances in the future, too.

But, (as has probably already been mentioned in this thread,) ESPN is owned by Disney, who has a gigantic stake in China. China is the largest movie market for Disney, and they have theme parks over there, too. I'm not familiar with all the intricacies of the corporate ties involved (I'm sure it gets more corrupt the more you look at it), but this part, at least, is pretty well known.

Thanks, that was an excellent post, especially about ESPN.

I completely agree that discussing the impact on NBA revenue is not for or against, it's simply discussing the impact of an issue that you could fall on either side of.

I personally am glad at the hoopla Morey's tweet has raised, not just about Hong Kong but also generally about freedom of expression, the inevitable intersection of business and politics and culture, and all the discussion that has resulted.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,443

Post#78 » by ropjhk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
ropjhk wrote:

There’s been one tweet. One **** tweet. That’s all that was said by anyone from the nba or espn is any capacity. And China overacts like a child would and shuts it down. No, I think I can stand to hear lots of them express their opinions.

That's your prerogative, but I encourage you to seek out and evaluate a diverse set of opinions. Otherwise you're no better than an extreme SJW or extreme Nationalist.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#79 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 pm

ropjhk wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
ropjhk wrote:

That's your prerogative, but I encourage you to seek out and evaluate a diverse set of opinions. Otherwise you're no better than an extreme SJW or extreme Nationalist.

an there we have it.... shout down freedom of speech arguments by calling me a SJW. Prefer that rhetoric to being a shill, sheep or plebe thats' for sure. lmao at me being the nationalist in this. do you even get where I live?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:27 am

lol @ ESPN cutting straight to commercial as soon as Stephen A mentions the Israel-Palestinian conflict

Return to The General Board