David Blatt retires from basketball

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,590

David Blatt retires from basketball 

Post#1 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Plans of becoming Israeli ambassador. Shame he never got fair chance in the NBA, but man retires as one of the best coaches still in my book.
Few months ago Blatt was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

DB's former team, Euroleague powerhouse Olympiacos are in search for new coach now, trying to lure Scott Skiles.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Re: David Blatt retires from basketball 

Post#2 » by taikibansei » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Apparently, he is doing so because of a multiple sclerosis diagnosis:

https://sports.yahoo.com/david-blatt-out-olympiacos-greek-league-euroleague-cleveland-cavaliers-multiple-sclerosis-225318198.html

If so, wow...and so sad for many, many reasons.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,243

Post#3 » by RoxSteady » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm

His winning percentage in the NBA was 67.5%, 30-11 in the season he was fired. Yes the Cavs, won the title that year, over the Warriors no less... but history should be kinder to the man than fans and the press were at the time.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 pm

taikibansei wrote:Apparently, he is doing so because of a multiple sclerosis diagnosis:

https://sports.yahoo.com/david-blatt-out-olympiacos-greek-league-euroleague-cleveland-cavaliers-multiple-sclerosis-225318198.html

Really unfortunate. Wish him the best.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#5 » by The4thHorseman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:59 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Plans of becoming Israeli ambassador. Shame he never got fair chance in the NBA, but man retires as one of the best coaches still in my book.

DB's former team, Euroleague powerhouse Olympiacos are in search for new coach now, trying to lure Scott Skiles.

He didn't??
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#6 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Plans of becoming Israeli ambassador. Shame he never got fair chance in the NBA, but man retires as one of the best coaches still in my book.

He didn't??

Course he didnt. He was rookie coach trying to coach LeBron, and he had no cushing behind him.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#7 » by The4thHorseman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:19 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:

He didn't??

Course he didnt. He was rookie coach trying to coach LeBron, and he had no cushing behind him.

Blatt's not squeaky clean in that whole matter though. He baSically thought his **** didn't stink due to what he achieved outside of the NBA. This was after his first NBA win.

"That night, the Cleveland Cavaliers had defeated the Chicago Bulls for their first win of the season and Blatt's first win as an NBA coach. The players waited for him in the locker room, and when he emerged from his office they mobbed him, mussed his hair and yelled. They presented him with the game ball. Blatt accepted it with a smile, but he was also annoyed.

"Not all of you know me that well," Blatt told the media, "but I've probably won over 700 games in my career."

"Blatt viewed himself as a coach with numerous championships in Europe, an Olympic medal and 20-plus years on the sideline, a career that made him one of the most experienced coaches in the world.

The Cavs players, especially the veterans, saw him as a rookie.

"That's his first NBA win," Kyrie Irving said after the game. "He deserves the game ball. It's his first time in the NBA. I call him the virgin of the NBA."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14629892/nba-final-unraveling-david-blatt

You earn your respect, not demand it from day 1.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,271

Post#8 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 pm

RoxSteady wrote:His winning percentage in the NBA was 67.5%, 30-11 in the season he was fired. Yes the Cavs, won the title that year, over the Warriors no less... but history should be kinder to the man than fans and the press were at the time.

Not that I think Blatt is a bad coach, because I don't, but that winning percentage isn't all that impressive when you look at the roster that he had...
Big_Aristotle
Junior
And1: 241

Post#9 » by Big_Aristotle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:He didn't??

Blatt's not squeaky clean in that whole matter though. He baSically thought his **** didn't stink due to what he achieved outside of the NBA. This was after his first NBA win.

"That night, the Cleveland Cavaliers had defeated the Chicago Bulls for their first win of the season and Blatt's first win as an NBA coach. The players waited for him in the locker room, and when he emerged from his office they mobbed him, mussed his hair and yelled. They presented him with the game ball. Blatt accepted it with a smile, but he was also annoyed.

"Not all of you know me that well," Blatt told the media, "but I've probably won over 700 games in my career."

"Blatt viewed himself as a coach with numerous championships in Europe, an Olympic medal and 20-plus years on the sideline, a career that made him one of the most experienced coaches in the world.

"That's his first NBA win," Kyrie Irving said after the game. "He deserves the game ball. It's his first time in the NBA. I call him the virgin of the NBA."

I think that approach is BS and unfair as well. You have to respect your coach from day 1.

While that is factually true that it was his first NBA win, you could call it disrespectful towards Blatt that you assume he will be crazy happy with a regular season win after he won Olympic gold and EuroLeagues. He's a veteran in the game and couldn't care less. Just like the Clippers removing division title banners because they don't mean nothing if your hunting for rings, Blatt had higher goals than celebrating regular season wins.

But you could also say he should have gone with the flow just for the sake of adapting in your new environment.

In any case everywhere he went he won, the only NBA finals his team played and lost was without two all-stars. Nobody knows how they'd have performed with Blatt come playoff time.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#10 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm

taikibansei wrote:Apparently, he is doing so because of a multiple sclerosis diagnosis:

bars.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#11 » by QRich3 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Best of luck to him, he has a tough road ahead :(
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#12 » by Pennebaker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 pm

He did get a fair chance in the NBA.

He was put in a situation where any good coach would win a title and he just couldn't figure it out and got canned.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#13 » by BoogieTime » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Hate to say this due to his health situation, but never understood why people kept nominating him to coach another NBA team. It was persistent
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#14 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Pennebaker wrote:

He did get a fair chance in the NBA.

He was put in a situation where any good coach would win a title and he just couldn't figure it out and got canned.

Yeah, any good coach would have beaten Warriors without Love and Irving...

BoogieTime wrote:Hate to say this due to his health situation, but never understood why people kept nominating him to coach another NBA team. It was persistent

He was one of the greatest coaches in Europe, and unlike most, he had no language or culture barrier since hes American.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,120

Post#15 » by Plutonashfan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:57 pm

He got such a bad rap here and was fired unfairly. Much better then Ty Lue as we actually ran the Princeton offense.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#16 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:05 pm

RoxSteady wrote:His winning percentage in the NBA was 67.5%, 30-11 in the season he was fired. Yes the Cavs, won the title that year, over the Warriors no less... but history should be kinder to the man than fans and the press were at the time.

Yep.

And the Cavaliers were pretty competitive against the Warriors in 2015 without Love or Kyrie.

Obviously Lebron was a huge part in that, but Blatt gets zero credit whatsoever.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,061

Post#17 » by MrBigShot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Blatt never had LeBron's respect/backing so he was doomed to fail in the NBA. Bummer he has to retire and wont have another shot.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Else_where
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,510

Post#18 » by Else_where » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm

a bit off topic guys but could someone give a bit information about the illness he has to overcome?

Best wishes to him, he always seemed a classy and respectful man.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#19 » by mixerball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:35 pm

dude was fired from great winning team mid season in his first year and people here have the nerve to say he got a fair chance.
coach doesnt have to prove to players. what coach says, goes. he obviously proved himself enough to get hired to the people who decide this. those people are certanly not players.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#20 » by XxIronChainzxX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Big_Aristotle wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I think that approach is BS and unfair as well. You have to respect your coach from day 1.

While that is factually true that it was his first NBA win, you could call it disrespectful towards Blatt that you assume he will be crazy happy with a regular season win after he won Olympic gold and EuroLeagues. He's a veteran in the game and couldn't care less. Just like the Clippers removing division title banners because they don't mean nothing if your hunting for rings, Blatt had higher goals than celebrating regular season wins.

But you could also say he should have gone with the flow just for the sake of adapting in your new environment.

In any case everywhere he went he won, the only NBA finals his team played and lost was without two all-stars. Nobody knows how they'd have performed with Blatt come playoff time.

That not how it works. You respect a coach (or boss) to some level because they're the coach (or boss), but as a new boss you have a ton of work to do.

Blatt didn't achive anything of note in any league these guys respected. Worse, he acts a lot like kind of a crazy person. Like his fighter pilot stuff.

Return to The General Board