Can Someone Explain Mason Plumlee to Me?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,243

Can Someone Explain Mason Plumlee to Me? 

Post#1 » by RoxSteady » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:48 pm

On the one hand, his per 36 minutes stats and advanced stats are really good. On the other hand, his career MPG (22) is pretty limited and he's the butt of a few jokes.

Is it his FT%? Poor offense? Undeserving spot on Team USA? "Hating?"
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,775

Re: Can Someone Explain Mason Plumlee to Me? 

Post#2 » by Collymore » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 pm

He is a beast in disguise.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#3 » by TGW » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:54 pm

He's a good player. Does the little things well.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 pm

RoxSteady wrote:On the one hand, his per 36 minutes stats and advanced stats are really good. On the other hand, his career MPG (22) is pretty limited and he's the butt of a few jokes.

Is it his FT%? Poor offense? Undeserving spot on Team USA? "Hating?"

Not sure how he’s going to get more mpg than that when his best position is Center and Jokic plays on his team?

He’s somewhat limited on offense although he’s an underrated passer, and he’s a solid defender but far from elite. Seems about right for 22 mpg but you generally don’t see career backups playing for the US national team not once, but twice. That’s where the jokes come in.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#5 » by Pattycakes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:09 pm

He’s the “raw stiff” 99% of 7 footers get called with no offensive game whatsoever, but the difference with Mason is he has an extremely high bbiq and is very solid every minute he’s on the court bringing energy and hustle to the defensive end and boards. Basically hustle, the grand separator from mediocrity to the “success” of a Mason Plumlee.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#6 » by Alfred » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm

The reason he only plays 22 minutes a game is because he can’t stretch the floor and he plays behind Jokic. He does basically everything else you want though, like pass, hustle, play defense, grab boards, etc. so he’s an asset to any team he’s on.

The reason he gets invited to play for the National team is that he’s a complementary player who does the dirty work, makes smart plays and doesn’t demand the ball.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,243

Post#7 » by RoxSteady » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Alfred wrote:The reason he gets invited to play for the National team is that he’s a complementary player who does the dirty work, makes smart plays and doesn’t demand the ball.

True. And he played for Coach K at Duke. :)
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,473

Post#8 » by Wigginstime » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Mason Plumlee is the ultimate role player who does the little stuff amazing but can't really do any of the big stuff. He is efficient because he has a strong understanding of his strengths and weaknesses.

Offensively
Weaknesses:
He doesn't have a a good post game and can't create his own shot.
He doesn't have a jump shot and shoots less than 20% when more than 3ft from the basket
Strengths:
Elite at moving without the ball. Exceptionally good at following the shots of other players. He is the type of center who has the perfect timing to make himself wide open the moment his defenders steps up to challenge a driving guard. He is also great at following the guard to tip in missed shots. This gets him a lot of easy wide open looks

Defensively
Weakness:
Poor 1v1 Defender - He will get slaughtered by any elite big in the league
Not a shot blocker or rim protector
Strengths:
Great court awareness and solid help defender.
Does this little things such as double teaming at the right time, good rotations, good decision making on pick and roll defense.
Willing to make the hussle plays such as diving for loose balls etc

Summary
Mason Plumlee - Can't score, create floor space, or defend the opposing teams best player. But does a lot of little things absolutely amazing. Hard works and good character also help him earn his time on the floor.
Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 981

Post#9 » by Ree4erMadness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Pattycakes wrote:He’s the “raw stiff” 99% of 7 footers get called with no offensive game whatsoever, but the difference with Mason is he has an extremely high bbiq and is very solid every minute he’s on the court bringing energy and hustle to the defensive end and boards. Basically hustle, the grand separator from mediocrity to the “success” of a Mason Plumlee.

Also, Mason is VERY athletic. But he really only gets to show this in the offseason when he's playing at different basketball camps.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#10 » by LastNameEver » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Wrong era of basketball. Hed be Birdman if this was 2005
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#11 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

He's fine as a player. Sometimes I think fans have a hard time understanding that there is nothing wrong with a guy being a role player by default. He's flawed just like any role player but he's solid at what he's asked to do.

LastNameEver wrote:Wrong era of basketball. Hed be Birdman if this was 2005
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#12 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

LastNameEver wrote:Wrong era of basketball. Hed be Birdman if this was 2005

The only ways that Plumlee and Andersen are similar is that they are white and neither one has a jump shot, other than that explain how he would be Birdman.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#13 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 pm

He is a good passer, solid at help defense and solid at man to man. His big issues is that he does not have a jump shot at all and he gets overpowered by big offensive Centers (Kanter and Boban always have a field day against him.)

He could start for some teams and was a starter in Portland for a while, but due to his lack of jump shot his minutes are always going to be limited behind Jokic.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,490

Post#14 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Mason is a prime example of a very good role player. He knows the role he is asked to play and he excels at it. Come in play 20-25 minutes of high energy smart basketball. He's not a high enough impact player on either side to be a starting big on a good team. But is the ideal 1st big off the bench for a good team. I'm sure coaches love him because he never tries to do more than what is asked, which means he rarely makes mistakes out on the court.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#15 » by flow » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Very good, underrated player.

High energy level. Major hustle. Near Rodman level on those fronts.

Great screen & roll setter. His game fit Portland better than it does Denver, but he's making it work. Portland is glad to have Nurkic, but they miss Plumlee at the same time. Can't shoot, but can do everything else.

mitrandil20
Bench Warmer
And1: 524

Post#16 » by mitrandil20 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:37 pm

always thought of him as a great passer for a center too.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#17 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 pm

His brother Miles is the real mystery to me. Specifically how the hell he managed to get a 52 mln. contract. I know this happened in the summer of the massive cap spike, but still, 52 mln. 4 year contract for a guy who averaged 14.3 MPG, 5.2 PPG and 3.8 RPG on a 33 wins team and was 2 months shy of his 28th birthday is just bonkers.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#18 » by antonac » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 pm

The most important thing to Denver is that he knows his role, makes smart plays (I wouldn't say he has high BBIQ, he doesn't have some abnormally good feel for how a play will develop, he just doesn't make bad decisions) and plays hard.

Denver are so reliant on their bigs for how the whole team operates that pulling one of them out and replacing him with someone more inconsistent would be mean playing a whole different way.

Would still do the Nurkic deal every time even if the Blazers did end up with the much better player.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#19 » by Dacost » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Denver fans seem to like him however I'm so glad he is not playing with my team.

Dude a boring role player should be a spurs player.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#20 » by Scalabrine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 pm

RoxSteady wrote:
Alfred wrote:The reason he gets invited to play for the National team is that he’s a complementary player who does the dirty work, makes smart plays and doesn’t demand the ball.

True. And he played for Coach K at Duke. :)

Bingo.
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board