David Blatt retires from basketball

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: David Blatt retires from basketball 

Post#21 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:23 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:His winning percentage in the NBA was 67.5%, 30-11 in the season he was fired. Yes the Cavs, won the title that year, over the Warriors no less... but history should be kinder to the man than fans and the press were at the time.

Not that I think Blatt is a bad coach, because I don't, but that winning percentage isn't all that impressive when you look at the roster that he had...

And the press picked on headlines that he gave them himself that were ridiculous....there’s a few but the fighter pilot line was his own doing, not to mention getting away with calling timeout when he didn’t have any and having Lebron inbounding the ball on the last possession of a playoff game before his own team scrapped it.

Those 2 things don’t define his coaching ability as he has had much success outside of the nba, but he was his own worst enemy with the media and honestly I don’t think was ready for the spotlight that comes with LeBron James.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#22 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Plans of becoming Israeli ambassador. Shame he never got fair chance in the NBA, but man retires as one of the best coaches still in my book.
Few months ago Blatt was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

DB's former team, Euroleague powerhouse Olympiacos are in search for new coach now, trying to lure Scott Skiles.

He didn't??

Course he didnt. He was rookie coach trying to coach LeBron, and he had no cushing behind him.

The fact that he was a rookie coach and coaching LeBron James is more than a fair chance in itself....plenty of 1st time coaches would kill for that “not fair chance” and do a better job trying to make it work and hurdle all the obstacles a LeBron James team brings in terms of media coverage.

He got a fair chance. It wasn’t an easy job but he had a fair chance.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#23 » by mixerball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm

fair chance is atleast one full season. just stop it already.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Else_where wrote:a bit off topic guys but could someone give a bit information about the illness he has to overcome?

Best wishes to him, he always seemed a classy and respectful man.

nervous system disease, you slowly stop being able to function, affects your nerves, muscles, brain cells etc...it's rough
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,598

Post#25 » by UcanUwill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:11 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:He didn't??

Course he didnt. He was rookie coach trying to coach LeBron, and he had no cushing behind him.

The fact that he was a rookie coach and coaching LeBron James is more than a fair chance in itself....plenty of 1st time coaches would kill for that “not fair chance” and do a better job trying to make it work and hurdle all the obstacles a LeBron James team brings in terms of media coverage.

He got fired at a time his team had 30-11 record, I mean give me a break, how can anyone claim he got a fair chance.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,481

Post#26 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:20 am

Don't really care about the basketball talk on this one. Horrible disease and I hate hearing this. I wish nothing but the best for him.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#27 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:25 am

Was real excited when the Cavs hired him. Wish him the best of luck with everything.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,375

Post#28 » by svart » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 am

Pennebaker wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Plans of becoming Israeli ambassador. Shame he never got fair chance in the NBA, but man retires as one of the best coaches still in my book.

DB's former team, Euroleague powerhouse Olympiacos are in search for new coach now, trying to lure Scott Skiles.

He did get a fair chance in the NBA.

He was put in a situation where any good coach would win a title and he just couldn't figure it out and got canned.

lol.

He got canned because bron needed a yesman.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#29 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:27 am

svart wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

He was put in a situation where any good coach would win a title and he just couldn't figure it out and got canned.

lol.

Come on dude, Blatt sucked. He lost 11 out of 41 games in his second season. It was amazing the Cavs allowed that losing to go on so long.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#30 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:13 am

UcanUwill wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

He got fired at a time his team had 30-11 record, I mean give me a break, how can anyone claim he got a fair chance.

Wa wa wa....he had a few seasons to coach the team BEFORE that. He’s coaching a very talented team and made a ton of blunders and idiotic comments and just because a team has a winning record it does not mean the coach has a handle on the locker room or the players are listening to his voice.

He was coaching Lebron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin love- he should have a winning record, Brendan Haywood on his nba radio show along with others have commented several times how the players didn’t respect blatt and he carried himself as a championship winning coach in the locker room for what he did in Israel overseas etc and in the NBA that doesn’t fly. Guys don’t care what a coach did in Europe.

1st time nba coach gets handed a super team- yea, not a fair shot my ass.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,598

Post#31 » by UcanUwill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Wa wa wa....he had a few seasons to coach the team BEFORE that. He’s coaching a very talented team and made a ton of blunders and idiotic comments and just because a team has a winning record it does not mean the coach has a handle on the locker room or the players are listening to his voice.

He was coaching Lebron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin love- he should have a winning record, Brendan Haywood on his nba radio show along with others have commented several times how the players didn’t respect blatt and he carried himself as a championship winning coach in the locker room for what he did in Israel overseas etc and in the NBA that doesn’t fly. Guys don’t care what a coach did in Europe.

He didnt have few seasons before that, he had one season where he reached the finals and was somewhat in games despite not having Irving and Love. I am not saying reaching finals in east with Lebron is some kind of accomplishment, but Blatt didnt suck. He came in, reach ed the finals first year, was 31-11 second year and got fired.

If players didnt respect him, thats pure unprofesionalism from the players not the coach. If team hires man as coach, players should respect him, not like he was some intern from the street, there was a reason why he landed a coaching job. And yes, he had an EGO, because he was very successful before he joined CAVS, I mean he is probably a Hall of famer... but thats insane that some of you try to spin this as big negative, and that it is his fault players were too much entitled to be coached by a rookie.

I dont get why some people try to debunk his coach ability, like people dont want to believe that Euro coach can be good in the NBA.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#32 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:06 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

He didnt have few seasons before that, he had one season where he reached the finals and was somewhat in games despite not having Irving and Love. I am not saying reaching finals in east with Lebron is some kind of accomplishment, but Blatt didnt suck. He came in, reach ed the finals first year, was 31-11 second year and got fired.

If players didnt respect him, thats pure unprofesionalism from the players not the coach. If team hires man as coach, players should respect him, not like he was some intern from the street, there was a reason why he landed a coaching job. And yes, he had an EGO, because he was very successful before he joined CAVS, I mean he is probably a Hall of famer... but thats insane that some of you try to spin this as big negative, and that it is his fault players were too much entitled to be coached by a rookie.

I dont get why some people try to debunk his coach ability, like people dont want to believe that Euro coach can be good in the NBA.

I hate to break it to you but no nba player gives a damn what he did in coaching before the nba, the same way no players care about what a rookie did in college or high school. You put Blame on all the players- perhaps blatt should have came into the nba and been humble and not carry himself like he was some veteran championship coach like former cavs players say he did.

Several cavs players said he would call out everyone on film when they made a mistake but when Lebron made a mistake never hold him accountable- it’s wny the players respected ty lue, because he would call out ANYONE who made mistakes including Lebron. He had a golden opportunity and HE didn’t make it work.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#33 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Agree that Blatt was one of the best. It is tragic that many keen and eager basketball minds reading this are unaware of the knowledge and acumen he has for game we all love.

Were rooting for you, David. Stay strong.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#34 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I don't get the Blatt hate. He had his flaws, but he got as good of results as any coach would have got in his year and a half. Two games away from the title without 2 all stars. Second year gets fired for a 30-11 record which is first place in the EC. Who knows how he would have done if he was given more time. Maybe they fail to win the finals that year, but with what we know he didn't underachieve. He did as well as any coach would have done in the 1.5 years he was given.
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,945

Post#35 » by playoffs » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:26 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

I hate to break it to you but no nba player gives a damn what he did in coaching before the nba, the same way no players care about what a rookie did in college or high school. You put Blame on all the players- perhaps blatt should have came into the nba and been humble and not carry himself like he was some veteran championship coach like former cavs players say he did.

Several cavs players said he would call out everyone on film when they made a mistake but when Lebron made a mistake never hold him accountable- it’s wny the players respected ty lue, because he would call out ANYONE who made mistakes including Lebron. He had a golden opportunity and HE didn’t make it work.

Yes, he definitely should've come in to the locker room on day one and said "Hey guys, I'm a rookie and don't know anything about the NBA. I'll just sit here in the corner and let LeBron do the coaching. Thanks for letting me hang around".
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#36 » by Senbonzakura » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Damn LeBron really finished mans off lol
MoneyMo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,792

Post#37 » by MoneyMo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:55 pm

svart wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

lol.

He WAS Lebron's yes man. He was scared to to say anything to him
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#38 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm

playoffs wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Yes, he definitely should've come in to the locker room on day one and said "Hey guys, I'm a rookie and don't know anything about the NBA. I'll just sit here in the corner and let LeBron do the coaching. Thanks for letting me hang around".

No, but you develope relationships and earn the respect of a locker by what you do with your current team, not what was done in a league that unfortunately nba players don’t give a damn about. It’s been said he conducted himself as if he won nba championships and not what he did overseas.

There’s a fine line between acting how you’re describing and having the current nba players buy into your coaching skills by showing them actual proof and developing relationships.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Post#39 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:04 pm

MS is a terrible disease, but some forms can go into remission. Hopefully Blatt has that kind. If so, he should return to his roots in Framingham and get a consulting gig with the Celtics. I'm sure Brad Stevens would love to pick Blatt's brain.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#40 » by Pennebaker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 am

svart wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

lol.

He got canned because he was very passive (a yes man). He didnt have the spine to stand up to any of the veterans. And that wouldn't work on any NBA team, which is probably why no one else hired him.

Lue was promoted in part because he wasnt intimidated and he wasnt afraid to speak his mind, which included calling out LeBron at times - something Blatt never did.

Return to The General Board