Preseason games discussion thread 2019

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

How many times will the phrase "it's only preseason" be used in this thread on average?

Once every 10 pages or more
8%
Once every 8 pages
No votes
Once every 6 pages
1%
Once every 4 pages
4%
Once every 3 pages
7%
Once every 2 pages
17%
Once every page
16%
Twice every page
16%
Thrice or more every page
31%

Total votes: 153

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Re: Preseason games discussion thread 2019 

Post#1001 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

manlisten wrote:Jrue seems like Pat Riley's kinda guy. Would be a much better option than Chris Paul for that Heat team.

Ya that thought definitely crossed my mind. Can you imagine the perimeter defense with Jrue/Winslow/Butler/Bam 1-4. You know Spo would love that.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#1002 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm

The_Hater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Yup this is exactly how I see it. I can see this team clicking and him waiting to move Jrue this summer and resign Ingram if they're making a playoff push.

But ya say it looks like playoffs are just out of reach this year. I can see a playoff team wanting Jrue and making a good offer for him. If by then it doesn't look like Ingram's play is meshing I can see him looking to flip him for a wing that can shoot.

I can see a lot of different ways this team can go. I think Griffin has a lot of different avenues to go down all depending on how this initial lineup plays out. But I don't see a scenario where Jrue is on the team at the start of next year. Again nothing against Jrue, just so much young talent at the guard spot, and hard to risk losing Jrue for nothing the next summer.

Ingram needs to come off the bench to be honesty, I'd almost just start NAW:

Jrue
NAW
Lonzo
Zion
Favors

with Jackson, JJ, Ingram and Hayes off the bench.

If youre going to bring Ingram off the bench then they should absolutely start their best shooter In Redick. Redick bends defenses unlike very few shooters in the league.

NAW has had a few good moments but at the sample size gets bigger I get the feeling he’s closer to 33% than 40% from the arc.

all signs point to him being a good 3 ball shooter, shot 38% both years on 4.5 attempts, almost 80% from the line, shot it well in the SL and is shooting it well now, I think 37-38% range is more likely for him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1003 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
manlisten wrote:Jrue seems like Pat Riley's kinda guy. Would be a much better option than Chris Paul for that Heat team.

Ya that thought definitely crossed my mind. Can you imagine the perimeter defense with Jrue/Winslow/Butler/Bam 1-4. You know Spo would love that.

BRUH!!!
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1004 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

who would they give up for Jrue if you're not including Herro, Winslow, or Bam in that discussion?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1005 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

who would they give up for Jrue if you're not including Herro, Winslow, or Bam in that discussion?

yikes. dunno. Herro would definitely be asked for.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1006 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

BRUH!!!

Haha right. That is as filthy as you can get defensively 1-4. But no way can the Heat get Jrue without giving up one of Winslow/Herro.

Lonzo
Herro
Ingram
Zion
Favors

Winslow
Jrue
Butler
Bam
Leonard/Kelly

Pels get the young sharpshooter guard to put in the starting lineup and Miami gets a filthy defensive team.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1007 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Would have to give up Winslow or Herro to get someone on the level of Jrue. Dont think Pels have any interest in Bam with Zion/Favors/Okafor/Hayes/Meli already.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#1008 » by manlisten » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Do the Pels have a real need for Herro with NAW and JJ on the roster? I think the value for them would come from the flexibility a Jrue trade would open up. They could do something like Dragic/Leonard and maybe draft considerations. They would recoup some of the veteran guard play that they give up with Jrue and add frontcourt shooting and potentially another pick down the line. Dragic/Leonard are both expiring and they would have space to keep both if they want or let them walk and look to make a trade into their cap.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1009 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm

manlisten wrote:Do the Pels have a real need for Herro with NAW on the roster? I think the value for them would come from the flexibility a Jrue trade would open up. They could do something like Dragic/Leonard and maybe draft considerations. They would recoup some of the veteran guard play that they give up with Jrue and add frontcourt shooting and potentially another pick down the line. Dragic/Leonard are both expiring and they would have space to keep both if they want or let them walk and look to make a trade into their cap.

they don't really need anymore draft picks tbh, they need guys that can fit around Zion/Zo at this point as optimally as possible

I think NAW is actually a sweet fit potentially next to both, which is why I'd start him now and just run with it.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,683

Post#1010 » by picc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Saw the Laker/Nets game highlights. Looks like the National Three-Point-Shooting Association is back on track.

Groan.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#1011 » by manlisten » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:
manlisten wrote:Do the Pels have a real need for Herro with NAW on the roster? I think the value for them would come from the flexibility a Jrue trade would open up. They could do something like Dragic/Leonard and maybe draft considerations. They would recoup some of the veteran guard play that they give up with Jrue and add frontcourt shooting and potentially another pick down the line. Dragic/Leonard are both expiring and they would have space to keep both if they want or let them walk and look to make a trade into their cap.

they don't really need anymore draft picks tbh, they need guys that can fit around Zion/Zo at this point as optimally as possible

I think NAW is actually a sweet fit potentially next to both, which is why I'd start him now and just run with it.

If it's a pick that's lightly protected and would convey around the time Jimmy or Jrue expired, that could have major value. Can never have too many trade chips. Unless you're Danny Ainge of course.
PrinceCliche
Sixth Man
And1: 720

Post#1012 » by PrinceCliche » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm

picc wrote:Saw the Laker/Nets game highlights. Looks like the National Three-Point-Shooting Association is back on track.

Groan.

What do you think the Nets chances are in the East?

1) Will they be top 4?
2) Make it past the 1st round?
3) Miss the playoffs?
4) Lose in the 2nd round?
5) Make it to the Finals?
6) Lose in the 3rd round?

***I believe Bklyn will top 4 in the East and makes it to the Conference Finals***
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1013 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 pm

manlisten wrote:Do the Pels have a real need for Herro with NAW and JJ on the roster? I think the value for them would come from the flexibility a Jrue trade would open up. They could do something like Dragic/Leonard and maybe draft considerations. They would recoup some of the veteran guard play that they give up with Jrue and add frontcourt shooting and potentially another pick down the line. Dragic/Leonard are both expiring and they would have space to keep both if they want or let them walk and look to make a trade into their cap.

Im personally not as high on NAW as most (I don't think bad or anything), but I do think Herro is the better prospect. Also wouldnt take JJ into too much consideration since I think he is just a stop gap solution because of his age. I think the Pels would just keep Jrue till the summer if all they get in return is Dragic and Leonard. If you look at Miami's draft picks, basically all of them are pretty heavily tied up.

I would expect the Pels would want Herro or Winslow, because again Herro is that sharpshooting guard that pairs perfectly with Zion and Lonzo. Winslow is that wing defender that they dont have on the team and he also can shoot the 3 now. Plus with him, if Ingram doesn't work out, you slide Winslow down to the 3 and have one of your young guards step up into the 2 spot. Plus both guys are young and fit with the young core.

I also want to be clear since I am the one that side tracked this thread with trade talks. I dont think the Pels need to be looking to trade right now. I am 100% with the mindset of sitting back and seeing if they can make work with what they have. Im just saying I can see in a few months Ingram no fitting in and looking to be moved for a wing that can shoot, also I can see them unloading Jrue because he isn't the shooter you'd like to pair with Zion/Lonzo plus he's an unrestricted free agent in 2 years.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#1014 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Ingram needs to come off the bench to be honesty, I'd almost just start NAW:

Jrue
NAW
Lonzo
Zion
Favors

with Jackson, JJ, Ingram and Hayes off the bench.

If youre going to bring Ingram off the bench then they should absolutely start their best shooter In Redick. Redick bends defenses unlike very few shooters in the league.

NAW has had a few good moments but at the sample size gets bigger I get the feeling he’s closer to 33% than 40% from the arc.

all signs point to him being a good 3 ball shooter, shot 38% both years on 4.5 attempts, almost 80% from the line, shot it well in the SL and is shooting it well now, I think 37-38% range is more likely for him.

Fair, but he’s not Redick. Redick is one of the best shooters of all time
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1015 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:42 pm

The_Hater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Fair, but he’s not Redick. Redick is one of the best shooters of all time

well, of course not, but like I said I'm putting him in there for the size/playmaking, and provides enough shooting too.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,692

Post#1016 » by jehosafats » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Durant/Levert/Irving is a problem. Brooklyn has a team.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,046

Post#1017 » by Dirk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Ok I know it's preseason but Jonathan Isaac is absolutely annihilating John Collins on the defensive end. Isaac is going to be so good.

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Fultz looking great defensively

HM,
Howard Mass wrote:

GeorgeMarcus is really putting in the work to improve his social credit score.
60/21/10
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#1018 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I’m not surprised russ only hit 27% of his threes today, but even for russ, 11 threes is a bit much.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#1019 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:44 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I’m not surprised russ only hit 27% of his threes today, but even for russ, 11 threes is a bit much.

He was better in this game than the last (less turnovers and wild play), but yeah..that’s a lot of 3’s.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#1020 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I’m not surprised russ only hit 27% of his threes today, but even for russ, 11 threes is a bit much.

He's going to have to shoot those to fit in. He doesn't do much off the ball.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient

Return to The General Board