Expectations for Lonzo Ball this Season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Re: Expectations for Lonzo Ball this Season 

Post#61 » by Dynamix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 am

I expect him to double the current worth of my mint condition BBB flip flops.
TDotJon
Junior
And1: 514

Post#62 » by TDotJon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:08 pm

1st team all defense.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#63 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:04 pm

levon wrote:Do we like him now?

Because he is not a laker anymore so yes I suppose.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#64 » by LastNameEver » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Hes playing beside a really smart defensive guard in Holiday, he will pick up some good habits.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#65 » by Jadoogar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Him and Jrue will be a great defensive backcourt.
I could see him being a more successful Ricky Rubio. Both highly touted prospects, never reach the star potential but carve out a good career.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#66 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Him and Jrue will be a great defensive backcourt.
I could see him being a more successful Ricky Rubio. Both highly touted prospects, never reach the star potential but carve out a good career.

This, albeit Ball is a worse shooter IMO. I still wouldn't play him more than 24-26mpg. Let him be ball dominant and push the tempo in that time, but still you cant play a guy huge minutes that cant shoot. If he isn't pushing the tempo, he is greatly reduced in offensive value. He cant create his own shot, like..at all, in halfcourt. He isn't able to beat people and finish so he is reduced to a quick passer and below average set 3PT shooter in halfcourt. That's not a player you should give 30+mpg to IMO. But in a half role controlling the ball, tempo and pushing everything, he is good. Not to mention he has been a plus on defense for a while now.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,135

Post#67 » by Edrees » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Dominater wrote:Just don't get injured and the rest will take care of itself

Pretty much this
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#68 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:Lakers Zo-trash, bust, overrated

Pelicans Zo-borderline all-star, stud

Ya'll crack me up.

You realize a poster with a Laker avatar started the thread?
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#69 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:

Ya'll crack me up.

ok....what are you getting at?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,036
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#70 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:19 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:

Ya'll crack me up.

And I don' think anyone here thinks he will be an all star except that one dude that said he was top 3 last year :lol:

I honestly think he's worth more as a trade chip than he is as a long term prospect, but he looks like he is a better fit than expected, despite his finishing and shooting still being bad.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#71 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Ya'll crack me up.

ok....what are you getting at?

A Laker poster started a thread asking for predictions for Lonzo's season, while commenting on his seemingly improved shooting form. Posters have replied with mostly middling predictions, some good, some bad, etc. So what exactly cracks you up? I get the whole anti-Laker bias accusation, but you have to really be looking hard to find something here.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. Talking about anti-Laker bias in a thread where there really hasn't been any, is probably just going to make people more biased against the Lakers.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#72 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Ya'll crack me up.

And I don' think anyone here thinks he will be an all star except that one dude that said he was top 3 last year :lol:

I honestly think he's worth more as a trade chip than he is as a long term prospect, but he looks like he is a better fit than expected, despite his finishing and shooting still being bad.

Many have said he significantly improved at finishing last season, I didn't watch him enough to judge this but his 2P% did increase from 52% to 48% last season. Improving his finishing would allow him to be more active with the ball as well I think, which has been another criticism of him.
Bizz
Senior
And1: 322

Post#73 » by Bizz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
To be clear, you guys are talking about 15 total shots in the preseason. Right?

15 shots in 44 minutes. So basically 1 game's worth of minutes and shots for some people. Again he shot 33% from 3 last year, if he bumps that up 2% he is at 35% which is respectable. He doesn't need to be a high volume scorer, he just needs to play elite defense (he's capable of that), facilitate at an elite level (we know he is capable of that) and be able to hit 3s at a respectable rate and he is the perfect PG for this offense.

For some reason I think if he went 9/15 and 7/11 from three, we would be hearing "hold on, let's not draw conclusions. It's only pre-season on 15 shots". :)

Yes it would be and we would be right. Since him shooting 9/15 and 7/11 would be something out of normal standards for Lonzo so people would be right to be sceptical. But him shooting below 30% in 2 games is something we have gotten acustomed to to see from Lonzo in his first two seasons, so it is a safer bet to assume he will continue this way into the season than if it would be the other way around and he would be shooting 50% in 2 games.

With his defense and passing it all depends on his shooting ability. If he cant shoot better than 40% FG and 70%FT he will always be a liability on offense and therefore a bench player on a winning team. But if he can improve to 42/35/75 he can become a solid starter for a championship team (which qualifies as a borderline allstar). Those are still below average % for a PG and him being far away from those numbers still, people have a right to be sceptical. Which player has succesfully changed his shot or made a big jump in shooting % after his second year in the league? They are far and few in between. And how many guards shooting below 50%FT have made it in this league?
ajdontwatchthat
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,496

Post#74 » by ajdontwatchthat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm

They like anyone not named LeBron who doesn't wear purple and gold.
ajdontwatchthat wrote:So were Horry and Rick Fox more productive than a young Kobe judging off PER?

Pennebaker wrote:Yes, absolutely. Young Kobe was not a great player.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,064

Post#75 » by MrBigShot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 pm

12/9/5 on improved percentages. He's gonna love playing with Zion.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#76 » by Mister Ze » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:55 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:
Mister Ze wrote:He’ll average close to 10 assists

he can and he should, he avg'd 10pts 7reb7ast his rookie campaign with less competent scorers and a inexperienced coach at the helm
alvin gentry will actually be a huge benefit to players like zo , zion and B.I. in my opinion

At the same time he’s sharing the ball with another PG in Holiday.

Either way though I think Lakers will regret moving Ball
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#77 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Mister Ze wrote:
lonzo_pelota wrote:

he can and he should, he avg'd 10pts 7reb7ast his rookie campaign with less competent scorers and a inexperienced coach at the helm
alvin gentry will actually be a huge benefit to players like zo , zion and B.I. in my opinion

the pace they play at will lend to more possessions and wide open play which Zo excels at and it should help him get to that number regardless of Jrue Holiday being on the floor.

Also Anthony Davis is a pretty good player, don't really see the Lakers regretting that trade. Should end up being a win for both sides.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,130

Post#78 » by levon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm

ajdontwatchthat wrote:

They like anyone not named LeBron who doesn't wear purple and gold.

I remember Lebron's status on here during the Finals, and then right after July 1st. Can't say it wasn't predictable.
TheDoors24
Rookie
And1: 1,050

Post#79 » by TheDoors24 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I think he plays a lot better this year because the game will become fun again outside the LAL clown show. I still think his offense will always be an issue, and while he may become a meh set 3PT shooter (Which is an improvement) he likely never improves enough at the line or finishing in traffic to really max his passing. He has always been good on defense and that should continue. Holiday / Ball, if they can play on offense together, can really be a great defensive duo.

No reason the Pels cant make the playoffs. I am a Blazers fan and think that team could beat us on any given night. Really underrated talent base, albeit maybe lacking a bench guy who can create for himself.

You call it a clown show but LA has always had attention and yet much more success than mmmm other non “clown shows”. So yeah.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Post#80 » by lonzo_pelota » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Mister Ze wrote:
lonzo_pelota wrote:

jrue is a seasoned vet and he'll do what the team needs to win i feel, when he's on the court they need his scoring and defense, zo can set him up or take some of the point guard load off during some possessions
id much rather jrue take more shots and do less point guard role and have zo take less shots and pass more imo

Return to The General Board