All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#461 » by Wo1verine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:08 am

Back-to-back great endings on Dynamite! Seriously they make you wanting more!
BrunoSkull
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#462 » by daoneandonly » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:37 pm

The first 2 segments were exceptional. The Young Bucks vs Private Party showed why tag team wrestling should still be a staple. And Jericho's promo was just flat out entertaining
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#463 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:58 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The first 2 segments were exceptional. The Young Bucks vs Private Party showed why tag team wrestling should still be a staple. And Jericho's promo was just flat out entertaining

Yep, the first two segments were fantastic. The Inner Circle is such a simple, yet effective name for a stable too.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#464 » by Scott Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Yeah the first 2 segments were great then it was kind of downhill from there ratings were down 400k this week
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#465 » by Butch718 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Jericho shut down those “we the people” chants real quick, while burning WWE creative at the same time. :lol:
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#466 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:28 pm

The problem with Jericho’s stable is, there is not a single star besides him. Guevara is talented but the promotion is filled with guys who can go in the ring. I don’t know much about it LAX but they’ve been around forever and what’s the deal with the dude and his tongue/cartoon faces? We all know Swagger is a mid card job guy. Everything about it screams thrown together. What am I missing?
Do it for Chuck
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,900

Post#467 » by Dubious Handles » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:12 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:The problem with Jericho’s stable is, there is not a single star besides him. Guevara is talented but the promotion is filled with guys who can go in the ring. I don’t know much about it LAX but they’ve been around forever and what’s the deal with the dude and his tongue/cartoon faces? We all know Swagger is a mid card job guy. Everything about it screams thrown together. What am I missing?

Agreed, though I think Jericho can carry them easily, he's that good (at least outside of the ring). They still need one more "monster" type guy, which Swagger is not.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#468 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Jericho did as well as one could selling it, but the fact that they had to do a whole ass promo literally explaining, “This is why we’re a stable” tells you it’s just a mishmash. You never know though. A lot of the best booking in wrestling came together as an accident.
Do it for Chuck
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach

Post#469 » by Flames24Rulz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm

The Boshstrich wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:The problem with Jericho’s stable is, there is not a single star besides him. Guevara is talented but the promotion is filled with guys who can go in the ring. I don’t know much about it LAX but they’ve been around forever and what’s the deal with the dude and his tongue/cartoon faces? We all know Swagger is a mid card job guy. Everything about it screams thrown together. What am I missing?

Agreed, though I think Jericho can carry them easily, he's that good (at least outside of the ring). They still need one more "monster" type guy, which Swagger is not.

Not sure if it would qualify as a "monster," but I think MJF is going to turn on Cody at the next PPV.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#470 » by Dominator83 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
The Boshstrich wrote:

Not sure if it would qualify as a "monster," but I think MJF is going to turn on Cody at the next PPV.

Wouldn't be surprised though if they just do another teaser moment with that either though. Keep it at a slow build
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#471 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:06 pm

I finally watched the first full episode, and I have to say the person I came out of the biggest fan of was Riho, it definitely beat my expectations after I saw people dragging it on here. It was a very exciting big vs small match, and I think her speed makes her believable as a threat. I think Vince watching that match is thinking he let a signee get through his fingers. Britt Baker's contribution on commentary was laughable though, she contributed about as much as the Smackdown where Shinsuke was mumbling Japanese

- The main event was good. Making it so the match didn't end in DQ after Moxley interfered is an interesting choice. I guess if the wrestlers didn't benefit themselves they shouldn't get DX'd? Or was it because he wasn't legal?

- MJF's match was the worst of the night (and ended by a legitimate injury?) but I think it would be smart to keep pushing him. The crowd is going to support all these indie guys so having a wrestler with Baron Corbin style heat instead of the heat Jericho will get where everyone secretly loves him is important to the show. He has potential to be the person you want to punch in the face the most in all of AEW, NXT or WWE Edit - annnnd he just turned face :lol:
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#472 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:38 am

The Young Bucks vs the Street Profits adjace was awesome and MOTN, eliminating the Young Bucks is a genuine shock though, I would build the AEW around the Young Bucks frankly since having the arguable best tag team in the world is such a unique asset and hits at Vince's blind spot. But it did potentially make stars out of Private Party.

I echo Pac's feelings on there being a #1 contender match between Jack Havoc and Darby Allen. It was a weak match and doesn't make any sense storyline wise how these guys jumped to the front of the line, especially Havoc who I don't know but was played like a 15 year jobber getting his one chance to be on the show let alone complete the top title. I did like the skateboard prop when Allen interfered later as it works as both a speedy entrance and then a weapon. Vince to Matt Riddle: I have this great idea for your main roster entrance, it'll be such good sh*t

I'm interested in Riho vs Dr Britt Baker, but I feel like storyline wise it was a missed opportunity. I think they should have made Britt turn on her and have it be a storyline leading into the PPV. Now they are having a title match next week as friends. Britt's finisher being a submission where she adds in a mandible claw on their teeth when she is a dentist is gold

Moxley vs Spears was solid. Moxley wearing lame tighty exercise shorts after years of the complete opposite as Ambrose weirdly works. Dillinger's new character is pretty cool.

Jericho's promo straddling the 4th wall and burying WWE was money

Dustin Rhodes can be a guy who holds titles for AEW. He is still really good at what he does.

I like the brawls so far probably for the wrong reasons, I'm confused about who's feuding who which makes it seem like anything can happen. In the WWE it's obvious who's coming out to save the other person or hurt them based on allegiances and feuds.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#473 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 am

I just need the entrance music to be better lol
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man

Post#474 » by Dubious Handles » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Kenny Omega vs. Joey Janela was a brutal match. Both of them took A LOT ofpainful bumps.

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#475 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:57 pm

I wasn't crazy about the main event. Not sure if Darby is worth that match, and Jericho in the wrong situation can look like a fat old guy. The duct taped hands idea was cool but also a bit silly that it led to Darby momentum not Jericho momentum.

Riho vs Baker was good. Really liked the speed of which Riho went from submission to stomp off the top rope, and making her afraid to open her mouth during Baker's submission was a nice touch

The tag matches were great. The Jurassic Express vs Lucha Bros was fun considering Marko looked like a 12 year old girl the first time you saw him, but their energy made it believable. Scorpio Sky came out of his match seeming like he should be a singles wrestler. Moxley/Pac vs Omega/Page was excellent with at least 3 major players
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man

Post#476 » by Dubious Handles » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Yeah i'm not really buying Darby either, he's just not my cup of tea. It was an alright episode, all tag matches were good, I thought the women's match was meh. But the biggest bummer was finding out that Luchasaurus tore his hamstring right before the show started........ one of the wrestlers I was really looking forward to watch. Oh and also no Orange Cassidy :(
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#477 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Did Scorpio and Frankie botch that finish or is that move designed to look that way?

Also IRT Darby getting that title shot i think it can be the beauty of the W/L record thing if played right. By that i mean someone like Darby can hit a mini hot streak with these being the early days of AEW, so he (and others like him in terms of relatively unknown to the masses) can be plugged in or tried out on that Main Event stage. A good believable performance allows you to continue with a real push for him and if it doesn't then you can move on to someone else. End of the day we know who the main guys are gonna be so those records later down the line when things get established further in AEW are gonna keep those guys in the positions we're accustomed to, in the meantime why not build others and with the records we have evidence of push. Plus i think it opens up storylines and feuds if they handle it correctly.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#478 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 pm

I also understand why they did it because with a shallow roster you don't want to make Jericho face Pac or something for the title on TV 3 weeks in. Better save those ones for PPV
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach

Post#479 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:01 pm

I thought the Jericho-Allin match was great, tbh. I came away pretty impressed with Allin, and Jericho did a good job of making him look good in the process.

The Mox/PAC-Omega/Page match was terrific. They did a great job of setting up the finish too with Mox & PAC.

The tag team division as a whole is actually a pretty big strength for AEW right now.

My biggest positive for AEW is that for a two hour show, the two hours absolutely fly by. It's not like RAW (and even SD) where the time kind of just drags on if you're watching it live. I'm legit looking forward to Full Gear in a full weeks -- all of the matches are getting proper builds now that they're on TV.

My biggest negative is the entrance music, as touched on earlier. It definitely has that WCW vibe where they don't make the entrance music that big of a deal, outside of the absolute top guys in the company. Hopefully they put more of an emphasis on that soon.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#480 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:I thought the Jericho-Allin match was great, tbh. I came away pretty impressed with Allin, and Jericho did a good job of making him look good in the process.

The Mox/PAC-Omega/Page match was terrific. They did a great job of setting up the finish too with Mox & PAC.

The tag team division as a whole is actually a pretty big strength for AEW right now.

My biggest positive for AEW is that for a two hour show, the two hours absolutely fly by. It's not like RAW (and even SD) where the time kind of just drags on if you're watching it live. I'm legit looking forward to Full Gear in a full weeks -- all of the matches are getting proper builds now that they're on TV.

My biggest negative is the entrance music, as touched on earlier. It definitely has that WCW vibe where they don't make the entrance music that big of a deal, outside of the absolute top guys in the company. Hopefully they put more of an emphasis on that soon.

WWE has generally been very good at making the music match the performer. AEW seems to follow the Indy route of the performer basically selecting a favorite song which may not always mesh with the character. Having the distinction in the music can make a big difference. Thinking back to WCW, Goldberg, DDP, Ric Flair, and the NWO were all standouts and it makes the character more noticeable when the music can be applied to just them. It legit comes across as most if not all the AEW music could be interchangeable for whomever comes out. You'll likely always need to big screen to accurately identify whomever is appearing. Where as with WWE, once the bell tolls, or the glass breaks, or it's time to play the game you immediately know who's arriving.
Watch More Basketball

Return to Pro Wrestling