The "Golden Generation" of your City/State/Country? For L.A. its now

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Re: The "Golden Generation" of your City/State/Country? For L.A. its now 

Post#41 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 am

Coeur wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
My uncle commuted from Philadelphia to New York his whole life on the train. I know people who live in Costa del Sol, Spain and work in London. I don't think commuting is the main point of reference. Especially since there are significant corporate campuses located near Riverside that cause people to move down there. The public school districts are some of the most competitive in the country. Riverside is too insignificant in population combined with too close in proximity to Los Angeles to not be considered a part of the greater LA region. Hell, San Diego is practically a part of the LA metro region, depending how liberal the definition.

Your take on county's and "metro" areas is just to confusing to be of practical use. Everything about Orange County screams that the county is it's own thing. It has it's own major university. It has it's own downtown areas. It has it's own base of industry. It's own entertainment.

That’s true. They have their own baseball team. The Los Angeles Angels

Yea.. It's honestly super weird. But for whatever reason the Angels have never wanted to be known as the Orange County Angels. I don't know why, but that's where they are located. I don't really know why they changed to the Los Angeles Angels form the Anaheim Angles, but the LA tv market does crazy things to franchises. Just look at the Chargers complete implosion in trying to move to LA.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#42 » by Roddy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Doug Christie
Michael Dickerson
Jason Terry
Jamal Crawford
Brandon Roy
Nate Robinson
Martell Webster
Marvin Williams
Spencer Hawes
Isaiah Thomas
Avery Bradley

No NBA team

Shawn Kemp Jr
Gary Payton II

:wink:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#43 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 am

50CalClips wrote:To borrow "GOLDEN GENERATION" from the world of Soccer/Football -- it's when a country experiences an era of the greatest collective group of "home country" players in their history.

When and who were your City's/State's/Country's "Golden Generation" when it comes to Basketball?

NOTES:
- Players who were born or raised there (not if they just attend College there)
- Regardless of which NBA team they play for (ex: LeBron = Clev/Ohio, not L.A./California)
- Group of players from the same generation (this is not a GOATs list, that would be different)

UCLA basketball in the wooden era of the 60s. wooden recruited about 11 out-of-staters or about 1 every year in the 11 years he won10 banners. everyone else was home grown
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,345

Post#44 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
As far as I know Riverside isn't part Los Angeles.

It's close enough, honestly. It's like people saying Wilmington Delaware isn't part of Philly metro, but really it is

It's not though. You don't just get to claim other county's as part of Los Angeles. Riverside is as much a suburb of Los Angeles as Orange County. In other words... It's not part of LA.

Orange County is definitionally the suburbs of LA and was a part of LA county. The fact they are a different county now is a political/governmental thing once population got so huge but they remain part of Greater Los Angeles as does Riverside, where many commute west each day.

If you wanted to use a broader term for the area you could use “Southland”, but people don’t really use that term any more.

Also, can’t call it SoCal because that would need to include San Diego and Santa Barbara and these players weren’t that spread out.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#45 » by Spintown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:Huh? You mean LA born players who play for LA teams, or LA players in the league?

I mean isn’t Kawhi from San Diego and PG from an hour outside of LA?

I know Westbrook and Harden are literally from LA, but they play for the Rockets.

Born or Raised... "Home Town" players.

Kawhi attended San Diego State University, and lives there now, but he's from Compton/Moreno Valley (a suburb of L.A.)

I Used to Live in Riverside. The people identify themselves as LA because anyone coming from other states (or even northern california) don't know where riverside is.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,784

Post#46 » by GiannisAnte34 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Toronto 2018-19, was fun while it lasted
Narigo
Veteran
And1: 816

Post#47 » by Narigo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 pm

From Illinois

George Mikan
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Garnett
Jack Sikma
Anthony Davis
Derrick Rose
Dan Issel
Isiah Thomas
Mo Cheeks
Andre Iquodala
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#48 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 pm

As far as Canada and mostly Ontario/Toronto its the golden age without question

SGA/Corey Joseph
Jamal Murray/Nickeil Alexander Walker
RJ Barrett/Andrew Wiggins
Kellly Olynk (BC)/Trey Lyles(Sask)
Dwight Powell/Khem Birch/Brandon Clarke (BC)

a full NBA team with a number of other fringe guys floating around on training camp rosters. A long way from the early 2000s up to 2010 where it was Steve Nash and Jamal Magloire only.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#49 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:55 pm

As far as Canada and mostly Ontario/Toronto its the golden age without question

SGA/Corey Joseph
Jamal Murray/Nickeil Alexander Walker
RJ Barrett/Andrew Wiggins
Kellly Olynk (BC)/Trey Lyles(Sask)
Dwight Powell/Khem Birch/Brandon Clarke (BC)

a full NBA team with a number of other fringe guys floating around on training camp rosters. A long way from the early 2000s up to 2010 where it was Steve Nash and Jamal Magloire only.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#50 » by shakes0 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Narigo wrote:From Illinois

George Mikan
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Garnett
Jack Sikma
Anthony Davis
Derrick Rose
Dan Issel
Isiah Thomas
Mo Cheeks
Andre Iquodala

man you sure did manage to half ass that list. If you're gonna attempt to do all of Illinois for all time at least try and get half your list correct lol.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#51 » by 50CalClips » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:Born or Raised... "Home Town" players.
Kawhi attended San Diego State University, and lives there now, but he's from Compton/Moreno Valley (a suburb of L.A.)

And...
Arlington is not part of Dallas...
San Jose is not part of San Francisco...
Newark is not part of New York...
Broward County is not part of Miami...

Moreno Valley/Riverside Co. is a suburb of L.A. It's definitely part "So Cal" (the Greater L.A. area)

Besides all that, Kawhi was born in L.A.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#52 » by 50CalClips » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm

dorkestra wrote:Yaoundé, Cameroon is having a bit of a golden era with Joel Embiid, Pascal Siakam, and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. Especially considering how far away it is from the US and how little basketball infrastructure is in place.

Wow, that's pretty good.
What about expanding it to the Continent as a whole...
Who is part of the "Golden Generation" of Africa (in Basketball)?
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#53 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:Born or Raised... "Home Town" players.

And...

Moreno Valley/Riverside Co. is a suburb of L.A. It's definitely part "So Cal" (the Greater L.A. area)

San Diego isn't part of "the greater LA area." But it's definitely part of "So Cal." That's the problem with ever shifting definitions.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#54 » by 50CalClips » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

And...

San Diego isn't part of "the greater LA area." But it's definitely part of "So Cal." That's the problem with ever shifting definitions.

"So Cal" = the Greater L.A. area (it's not necessarily simply the southern half of the state)
San Diego is San Diego (I think you guys are "Low Cal,"for lower California, including Imperial Co.)
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#55 » by asdfgh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Los Angeles is without a doubt the Mecca of basketball in terms of player production.
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,683

Post#56 » by California Gold » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
And...

"So Cal" = the Greater L.A. area (it's not necessarily simply the southern half of the state)
San Diego is San Diego (I think you guys are "Low Cal,"for lower California, including Imperial Co.)

That's simply not true. San Diego is very much a part of the definition most people refer to as SoCal. But yeah cook on.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#57 » by LofJ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm

North Carolina is still producing a good amount of basketball talent.

Steph Curry/Chris Paul/Dennis Smith
Kent Bazemore/DeAndre Bembry/Seth Curry
Brandon Ingram/TJ Warren
Zion Williamson/PJ Tucker
Bam Adebayo/Harry Giles/Hassan Whiteside

Injured Reserve: John Wall (lol)
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#58 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Lucky Clover wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

That's simply not true. San Diego is very much a part of the definition most people refer to as SoCal. But yeah cook on.

It's super weird I was born and raised in San Diego. Went to school at Santa Barbara City College, and then transferred to UC Irvine. I now work in San Diego again. I've never heard San Diego referred to as anything other than SoCal. Never even heard the term LoCal. I also don't hear people referring to themselves as Los Angeles natives when they're from Riverside or Orange County.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#59 » by 50CalClips » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:36 am

TheRealKaboom wrote:The city of Los Angeles has more combined college/professional sports championships than any city on the continent. More than New York City, more than all of the cities in the entire state of Texas combined.

But the current Lakers, Dodgers & Rams haven't won anything yet. Until those teams start winning titles again, there's no Golden Age in L.A. Those teams need to start living up to the expectations people from L.A. have for their local sports teams.

And reading through some of the posts here, anyone who thinks Palmdale, Riverside, or Moreno Valley are in any way part of Los Angeles is either a transplant from somewhere else or an outsider.

That's a different topic. (big FAIL by the Dodgers, btw)

The "Golden Generation" concept is not about teams winning title for a particular city/state... it's about the Players from a particular country (or city/state/etc).

Yes, Palmdale, Lancaster are L.A. (literally in L.A. County)... and the Inland Empire along with OC are suburbs of L.A.

Arlington = Dallas Metro Plex
San Jose = The Bay Area
Broward Co = Greater Miami
East Rutherford NJ = The Tri-State Area
... etc...

And anyway, Kawhi was BORN in L.A.

Read on Twitter
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#60 » by Spintown » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:14 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Lucky Clover wrote:
50CalClips wrote:

It's super weird I was born and raised in San Diego. Went to school at Santa Barbara City College, and then transferred to UC Irvine. I now work in San Diego again. I've never heard San Diego referred to as anything other than SoCal. Never even heard the term LoCal. I also don't hear people referring to themselves as Los Angeles natives when they're from Riverside or Orange County.

Riverside is a city in, and the county seat of, Riverside County, California, United States, located in the Inland Empire metropolitan area. It is named for its location beside the Santa Ana River.[10] It is the most populous city in the Inland Empire and in Riverside County, and is located about 55 miles (89 km) east of downtown Los Angeles. It is also part of the Greater Los Angeles area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside,_California

Return to The General Board