ImageImageImageImageImage

PS: Nets vs Lakers in Shanghai | 10/10/19 | 7:30 AM | YES & NBATV

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: PS: Nets vs Lakers in Shanghai | 10/10/19 | 7:30 AM | YES & NBATV 

Post#81 » by DarkXaero » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 pm

What did you guys think of Deandre Jordan today? Thought it was a much more impressive showing than the first preseason game. You can see what he brings over Jarrett Allen. His screens and passing ability are a big plus too on offense.

Anyway, impressive win, considering we were without Kyrie & Levert. Dinwiddie, Musa, and Prince balled out. I really like our bench role guys as well, Temple & Nwaba. Temple especially just plays good, smart basketball on both ends. I was underwhelmed by his signing for that money, but if he keeps playing like this consistently, he'll be well worth it. Also, Prince & Harris in the same lineup are going to be a problem for teams, with their caliber of shooting. Add in Kyrie who is also an excellent shooter, and we can have one of the best shooting units out there.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#82 » by MGrand15 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Really sucks that we couldn't get Kyrie or Caris any minutes together. They're the keys to this season. Hopefully they play Saturday and start working things out.

Man, it's only preseason so I don't want to read too much into it but these new guys fit our system and culture like a glove. Temple, Prince, Nwaba, Jordan all looked great. The offense and defense was running like it was midseason. I could see why we went after Temple. Really solid all around player that doesn't make mistakes. Hopefully he can stay consistent from 3. That's always been the deciding factor for him.

Really liked what I saw out of Musa. In my mind, this type of performance wins him a rotation spot. We need to see what he can do at least. He's not super athletic but the guy is huge. Legit 6'9. He might've just been hot from 3 but he looked good offensively. Not bothered at all by the NBA length + athleticism. I really liked how he battled on defense too. He has some good chemistry with Rodi too. Wouldn't mind seeing them come off the bench together.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#83 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:24 pm

MGrand15 wrote:He might've just been hot from 3 but he looked good offensively.

35% on 3-pointers in g league on 5 or 6 field goal attempts

in the nba with better players, he should get better looks
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#84 » by SpeedyG » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:30 pm

DarkXaero wrote:What did you guys think of Deandre Jordan today? Thought it was a much more impressive showing than the first preseason game. You can see what he brings over Jarrett Allen. His screens and passing ability are a big plus too on offense.

Anyway, impressive win, considering we were without Kyrie & Levert. Dinwiddie, Musa, and Prince balled out. I really like our bench role guys as well, Temple & Nwaba. Temple especially just plays good, smart basketball on both ends. I was underwhelmed by his signing for that money, but if he keeps playing like this consistently, he'll be well worth it. Also, Prince & Harris in the same lineup are going to be a problem for teams, with their caliber of shooting. Add in Kyrie who is also an excellent shooter, and we can have one of the best shooting units out there.
Jordan looks legit. His ball screen and hand offs to our shooters will be deadly. And Kyrie and Caris will feed him on PNR

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#85 » by DeRoma » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
DeRoma wrote:I hope i'm proven wrong but I haven't seen anything good with him whatsoever. I did see improvement from the preseason game. However, it's hard to judge when he is playing with some random Brazilian team.

im waiting for you

While he played well I don't think it's sustainable on the way he approaches the game. If he can sustain a high FG% at the way he plays then you can say I'm wrong well see. So don't go away we can talk about this onwards
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#86 » by Born_Ready » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:12 am

I didn't get to see any of the game, but I'm glad to hear and see the performance Musa had. I've been wanting him to get some steady burn. Hopefully he continues to develop.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,246

Post#87 » by Papi_swav » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:32 am

SpeedyG wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:So do we think Jordan is the starter or that was situational?

And if so, I guess this is the rotation:

Irving / Dinwiddie
LeVert / Nwaba
Harris / Temple
Prince / Kurucs
D.Jordan / Allen

With a little Musa thrown in.

Pinson, Chandler, Ellenson, Claxton - DNPs
Leaning towards situational. But Jordan seemed to handle the strength and banging in the post better than Allen. Kenny might actually go with what he said as far as changing things up depending on match up

I think situational too. I say Allen start 65-70 games while Jordan starts the rest. jordan will get more minutes when we play bigger guys like Embiid and Drummond so they won't be able to use their bully ball against Allen.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#88 » by Papi_swav » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 am

On Musa, he's doing well in pre season but I don't think what he's doing is sustainable against real NBA competition. He can't get by anybody and his handles are not that good. He will have to shoot it lights out to get good minutes. I don't think he's there yet.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#89 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 am

Papi_swav wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:So do we think Jordan is the starter or that was situational?

And if so, I guess this is the rotation:

Irving / Dinwiddie
LeVert / Nwaba
Harris / Temple
Prince / Kurucs
D.Jordan / Allen

With a little Musa thrown in.

Pinson, Chandler, Ellenson, Claxton - DNPs
Leaning towards situational. But Jordan seemed to handle the strength and banging in the post better than Allen. Kenny might actually go with what he said as far as changing things up depending on match up

I think situational too. I say Allen start 65-70 games while Jordan starts the rest. jordan will get more minutes when we play bigger guys like Embiid and Drummond so they won't be able to use their bully ball against Allen.

Definitely situational. DJ will start against bigger Cs like Howard, Embiid, Drummond, etc. Allen will start against the rest.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Post#90 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:47 am

DarkXaero wrote:What did you guys think of Deandre Jordan today? Thought it was a much more impressive showing than the first preseason game. You can see what he brings over Jarrett Allen. His screens and passing ability are a big plus too on offense.

I love Temple and Nwaba. I still remember that game last year where Nwaba was all over the floor for Cleveland, dude is tailor made for this culture.

The Nets should be a top 3 three point shooting team in the league. if we can continue to take away three pointers for opposing teams (we were on of the top teams in the league last year at defending the three) while burning it up from outside with our bevy of shooters, we should win a solid amount of games this season.

Sean Marks has assembled an excellent roster, and the crazy part is Durant is on the shelf!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#91 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:49 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Leaning towards situational. But Jordan seemed to handle the strength and banging in the post better than Allen. Kenny might actually go with what he said as far as changing things up depending on match up

Definitely situational. DJ will start against bigger Cs like Howard, Embiid, Drummond, etc. Allen will start against the rest.

and that's no problem. Allen needs to earn his starts.

Got to love how deep we are.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:54 am

DeRoma wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
DeRoma wrote:I hope i'm proven wrong but I haven't seen anything good with him whatsoever. I did see improvement from the preseason game. However, it's hard to judge when he is playing with some random Brazilian team.

im waiting for you

While he played well I don't think it's sustainable on the way he approaches the game. If he can sustain a high FG% at the way he plays then you can say I'm wrong well see. So don't go away we can talk about this onwards

I don't really buy this. What's unsustainable about his game? Musa can shoot and is a crafty scorer. His ball handle is serviceable. I think he will push for time.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#93 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:58 am

MGrand15 wrote:Really sucks that we couldn't get Kyrie or Caris any minutes together. They're the keys to this season. Hopefully they play Saturday and start working things out.

Man, it's only preseason so I don't want to read too much into it but these new guys fit our system and culture like a glove. Temple, Prince, Nwaba, Jordan all looked great. The offense and defense was running like it was midseason. I could see why we went after Temple. Really solid all around player that doesn't make mistakes. Hopefully he can stay consistent from 3. That's always been the deciding factor for him.

Really liked what I saw out of Musa. In my mind, this type of performance wins him a rotation spot. We need to see what he can do at least. He's not super athletic but the guy is huge. Legit 6'9. He might've just been hot from 3 but he looked good offensively. Not bothered at all by the NBA length + athleticism. I really liked how he battled on defense too. He has some good chemistry with Rodi too. Wouldn't mind seeing them come off the bench together.

Rodi's three point shot looks crisp.

I think we might have one of the best bench units in the league. Spencer, Nwaba, Temple, Kurucs, Musa all bring something to the table. and we can mix and match Allen and Jordan.

SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#94 » by SpeedyG » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:35 am

Papi_swav wrote:On Musa, he's doing well in pre season but I don't think what he's doing is sustainable against real NBA competition. He can't get by anybody and his handles are not that good. He will have to shoot it lights out to get good minutes. I don't think he's there yet.

You guys are nuts. This isn't a 5'10 guard. He's 6'9. He doesn't need to blow by his man. He's big enough and more importantly skilled enough to finish when he does get to the paint. He's also crafty at scoring. I don't expect him to shoot 3 for 5 (or whatever he shot) from downtown every game.

He's not a good enough ball handler?

After Kyrie, Spencer, and Caris, who else can create for himself and others?

Temple? Nwaba?

The 4th playmaker/iso/creator is between him and Pinson.

And everything I've seen of those two tells me Pinson is more limited. Pinson is fine as a secondary ball handler. But his ceiling (and honestly his floor) isn't as high as Musa's.

DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#95 » by DeRoma » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:20 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:im waiting for you

I don't really buy this. What's unsustainable about his game? Musa can shoot and is a crafty scorer. His ball handle is serviceable. I think he will push for time.

I never understand this idea that Musa is a crafty finisher since I've never seen him do something crafty ever. I mean crafty could mean something different in your perspective so I guess I can explain how I understand a crafty finisher is. To me it means, a crafty finisher is a type of player who can finish with many different array of moves. When I think of a crafty finisher I think of LeVert. However, the only thing I see Musa do is a tear drop and a simple lay up. So I don't consider him crafty whatsoever. He is a descent ball-handler though.

I don't think his game is sustainable because he needs too much ball time in order to completely unlock his game at full potential. I'm not a fan of the way he approach scoring on the drive where he tends to stay from contact. I had the same issue with Dlo and I think dlo has a lot more creative finishes than Musa did.

Then again I do hope i'm wrong and he succeed so it could ultimately get the Nets to gain more trade value. In order to bring in more respect and/or contributors. However, from the 20 years i've played ball and watch the game I don't think he'd succeed. I do see him succeeding in different teams like the Kings for example will be the perfect place for him to play IMO
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#96 » by Papi_swav » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:45 am

SpeedyG wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:On Musa, he's doing well in pre season but I don't think what he's doing is sustainable against real NBA competition. He can't get by anybody and his handles are not that good. He will have to shoot it lights out to get good minutes. I don't think he's there yet.

You guys are nuts. This isn't a 5'10 guard. He's 6'9. He doesn't need to blow by his man. He's big enough and more importantly skilled enough to finish when he does get to the paint. He's also crafty at scoring. I don't expect him to shoot 3 for 5 (or whatever he shot) from downtown every game.

He's not a good enough ball handler?

After Kyrie, Spencer, and Caris, who else can create for himself and others?

Temple? Nwaba?

The 4th playmaker/iso/creator is between him and Pinson.

And everything I've seen of those two tells me Pinson is more limited. Pinson is fine as a secondary ball handler. But his ceiling (and honestly his floor) isn't as high as Musa's.

He's not strong enough to finish through contact and he is not quick enough to get by bigger guys. This is pre season so nobody is playing hard defense, but in the regular season he won't be getting these easy points, especially not in the playoffs.

I don't see any crafty finishing with him, he does have a left hand though but I don't see any good moves or array of moves, it's just simple up and down which wouldn't be a problem if he was quick or strong, but he's mediocre or below average in both. And His ball handling is ok, nothing crazy. He's also doesn't do much off the ball, he kind of needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

He is a good passer but I don't think he good at creating his own shots. He's definitely better than Pinson and has a higher ceiling, no argument there. Pinson ceiling is limited. I don't believe in Musa defensive abilities either. He's still only 20 so he has time, but as of right now I don't see him there yet. Temple can handle the rock a little, and we can create plays through Jordan, Prince, Kurucs etc.. He's going to have to be a lights out shooter to get some good minutes next year or if we suffer an injury, god willing we don't.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Joe Tsai's China Matters 

Post#97 » by GTR11 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:34 am

SpeedyG wrote:
GTR11 wrote:We can't initiate any organic offense period. Din is a must keeper. He'll have to play 50min with Caris and Kyrie being injury prone.
Because they kept force feeding the ball to Pinson. Musa is ready for the role. I've been hyping him since last season. 6'9 and able to do the things he does offensively, and he's starting to pick up defensively too.

Kyrie, Caris, Spence, and Musa should be our facilitators.

Kind of wouldn't mind a 5th guy, but don't think we have the roster spot.

I'm having high expectations. Maybe I got really spoiled with Harris, Dinwiddie, D.LO etc. There's no doubt that he's very skilled player, it's just something missing and I can't really figure it out when it comes to him. This year he'll play for us is a sure thing.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#98 » by GTR11 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:45 am

No disrespect to Ed but he ain't no DJ. He played with some motivation today. Very good at communicating and guiding defense. I have no doubt he will start after all star break when it'll come to money time. Allen still got bullied today by both D12 and McGee. I'm really exited to see motivated DJ and what he can do to Allen's growth.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#99 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:23 am

so many dzanan musa unbelievers here, its sad

kudos to those who believe... first it was "non-nba" team, but when he does it against nba team, they tell its just preseason game, he cant do it in a regular season or the playoffs... but well see what youre gonna say when he does it in the regular season and the playoffs... kid is a scorer, take that for data!
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#100 » by SpeedyG » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 am

GTR11 wrote:

No disrespect to Ed but he ain't no DJ. He played with some motivation today. Very good at communicating and guiding defense. I have no doubt he will start after all star break when it'll come to money time. Allen still got bullied today by both D12 and McGee. I'm really exited to see motivated DJ and what he can do to Allen's growth.
Ed hustled AF though. Jordan is better overall, but Ed' s motor will be missed a bit I think. I think there will at least be one play a game where we think "ed gets to that ball". But there's probably 2 plays a game where we say "ed doesn't make that play"

Return to Brooklyn Nets