Image ImageImage Image

Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,946
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:09 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-nba-teams-planning-for-scenario-in-which-salary-cap-would-drop-due-to-situation-with-china-003037770.html

At least five NBA teams are having their salary cap personnel plan for a scenario in which the cap for the 2020-21 season could drop between 10 and 15 percent due to the current situation between the NBA and China, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

This is part of the teams’ regular seasonal planning, but "it's like the cap spike, but opposite,” a league source told Yahoo Sports. “After all the money everyone spent last summer, this would have a major impact on all of us."

Last month, the NBA released an updated cap projection of $116 million for the 2020-21 season. That projection is nearly $7 million higher than the figure of just over $109 million for the current season.

A drop of 10 to 15 percent would be somewhere between $11.6 million and $17.4 million off the current projection. A drop in the cap would also impact the starting figures for maximum salary contracts, which range from 25 to 30 to 35 percent of the cap. It would also impact various exceptions and the rookie scale contracts, which rise or fall by the same percentage as the cap does.

Discuss
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,350

Re: Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#2 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am

Yes this can have a major impact. Leonard on a 2 year would really have to resign with the Clips if that happens. AD woukd def have to sign with the Lakers. No one really except the Knicks would have cap space lol. They glimpsed into the future. In all honesty it might actually be good for the game. The Brogdon type contracts hamstring a team like Indy if the cap goes down. The Wall, CP3 type contracts are even more crippling.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,152

Re: Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#3 » by League Circles » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 pm

So much for the common presumption of consistently inevitable franchise valuation growth.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#4 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Makes LaVine’s contract look all that much better if it does happen.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#5 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

So what? That is no excuse to kiss China's opressive government's ass. F em.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Post#6 » by aguifs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm

And-1 for you!!!
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm

The story seems to be a worst case scenario:

Read on Twitter
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,008

Post#8 » by Peelboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:59 pm

If this ends up being a potential multi-year cap reduction, I wonder if Felicio's $7.5M in 20-21 becomes valuable as an expiring. Heck, even without it it could be valuable to take on a longer-term deal. Using the 25% rule, Bulls could take back $10M in salary and the other team stretch Felicio for a $2.5M cap hit and savings of $7.5M (before any tax implications for the other team).

Also any cap reduction for next year makes it even more likely that Otto opts into his $28M (or resigns on a longer/cheaper deal if he thinks the cap reduction may last longer than 1-2 years).
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#9 » by madvillian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:So what? That is no excuse to kiss China's opressive government's ass. F em.

The Chinese know that they have lifetime leadership positions and that they can act as one. They are ruthless that way and is one "advantage" of the quasi-communist (more like oligarchical) government they have.

You give them an inch and they will take a mile and that is what has happened here.

This is Silver's first real crisis since Sterling and this one is much trickier than simply removing an asshat nobody likes with no real financial implications. So far he's handled it poorly.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#11 » by Bluewaterheaven » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:07 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cowards. If the people who actually have a voice to reach millions won't stand up, then their proclamations of woke culture and everything else are bull****. They have the chance to spread awareness over a brutal totalitarian regime, and they do nothing in the name of the all mighty dollar. Their claims about fighting all of these causes and equality mean nothing.

Every time a NBA player brings up a injustice, I'll just remember the China fiasco, and that the only person with all balls to say something was a rich white douchebag who nobody likes. :nonono:
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#12 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:34 am

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cowards. If the people who actually have a voice to reach millions won't stand up, then their proclamations of woke culture and everything else are bull****. They have the chance to spread awareness over a brutal totalitarian regime, and they do nothing in the name of the all mighty dollar. Their claims about fighting all of these causes and equality mean nothing.

Every time a NBA player brings up a injustice, I'll just remember the China fiasco, and that the only person with all balls to say something was a rich white douchebag who nobody likes. :nonono:

I'm not African American but you'd think the largely AA players would be especially sensitive to issues of justice and equality.

I guess not. When a man's paycheck depends on something...
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Post#13 » by Flopper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 am

madvillian wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not African American but you'd think the largely AA players would be especially sensitive to issues of justice and equality.

Indifference to suffering and human rights abuses is a problem with all Americans and I don't think it's necessarily fair to hold a certain group to a higher standard due to historical context. Hundreds of millions here turned a blind eye to the massive death tolls of the post-9/11 wars, mass famines from the US backed Saudi war in Yemen, and the Chinese ethnic cleansing of the Uighur despite not having any economic disincentive to not speak out. I don't condone the silence, but it's understandable given the circumstance. We as consumers actually have just as much power to send a message through protest and through boycott as the players do, so don't get mad because they're not doing the things that you're perfectly capable of doing yourself.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#14 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 am

Flopper wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:

Indifference to suffering and human rights abuses is a problem with all Americans and I don't think it's necessarily fair to hold a certain group to a higher standard due to historical context. Hundreds of millions here turned a blind eye to the massive death tolls of the post-9/11 wars, mass famines from the US backed Saudi war in Yemen, and the Chinese ethnic cleansing of the Uighur despite not having any economic disincentive to not speak out. I don't condone the silence, but it's understandable given the circumstance. We as consumers actually have just as much power to send a message through protest and through boycott as the players do, so don't get mad because they're not doing the things that you're perfectly capable of doing yourself.

Well I agree with almost everything you wrote. I'm not mad I'm just saddened really how easily human rights are abandoned when dollars are gained by turning a blind eye: especially with regard to Chinese Authoritarianism, of which we all should fear as free citizens.

But frankly I'm not in a position to do much. Players in the NBA -- of all races -- are.

TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#15 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 am

This is what was happening in Nazi Germany before German invasion on Poland. Everyone was turning blind eye on every step. I simply can't believe now in 21st century specially with social media with presence it has many who have actual voice to reach millions if not billions stay silent, specially those in US.

It's shameful. Barkley was once again 20+ years ahead of his time with his I am not a role model. Many in NBA are just for their paychecks and as long it doesnt involve them directly they will stay silent.

This whole NBA "we are woke" movement is just a fake to the bone.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#16 » by Payt10 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:14 am

I just love seeing all these previously outspoken coaches and players suddenly losing their voices once the threat of losing money is on the table.

We call these people cowards.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 am

While it would be nice if they did say something but the still smoldering fire that Kapernick started reminds the players how ugly it gets when you take a stand. Agree with it or not it did not work out well for anyone when he voiced an opinion. I can understand why the players keep their mouth shut because getting that spotlight on you has to be immensely uncomfortable. This absolutely can change a persons life and their families. While the right thing to do is clearly to speak up, but I see why it would take incredible courage.
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Post#18 » by Flopper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:49 am

madvillian wrote:
Flopper wrote:
madvillian wrote:

Well I agree with almost everything you wrote. I'm not mad I'm just saddened really how easily human rights are abandoned when dollars are gained by turning a blind eye: especially with regard to Chinese Authoritarianism, of which we all should fear as free citizens.

But frankly I'm not in a position to do much. Players in the NBA -- of all races -- are.

Yeah, I think everyone is on the same page in terms of recognizing the inherent danger of having so many large businesses trying to appease or not piss off a brutal authoritarian regime by stifling advocacy for human rights. I do have to say that it's definitely disappointing to see normally outspoken people like Kerr and Pops quiet on an issue like this.

Rather than being angry at athletes and coaches, people could instead stop buying Chinese phones (Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, Xiaomi), TVs (TCL, Hisense, Haier), and laptops (Lenovo) and also stop buying goods and services from American companies that grovel at the feet of China. I ended up canceling a game subscription and uninstalling a few Blizzard games after they took punitive action against a professional gamer who spoke out in a tournament interview. It's not much, but small things like that can add up.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#19 » by dice » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:07 am

Payt10 wrote:I just love seeing all these previously outspoken coaches and players suddenly losing their voices once the threat of losing money is on the table.

We call these people cowards.

to be fair it's a lot harder to do the right thing when you're negatively impacting everybody you associate with. would you say something that would reduce all of your co-workers' paychecks by even 1%? knowing that THEY know that you know the impact it would have?

but yeah, anything short of saying something as simple as "i value freedom of speech and human rights" is pretty pathetic
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#20 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:14 am

Flopper wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Flopper wrote:

Yeah, I think everyone is on the same page in terms of recognizing the inherent danger of having so many large businesses trying to appease or not piss off a brutal authoritarian regime by stifling advocacy for human rights. I do have to say that it's definitely disappointing to see normally outspoken people like Kerr and Pops quiet on an issue like this.

Rather than being angry at athletes and coaches, people could instead stop buying Chinese phones (Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, Xiaomi), TVs (TCL, Hisense, Haier), and laptops (Lenovo) and also stop buying goods and services from American companies that grovel at the feet of China. I ended up canceling a game subscription and uninstalling a few Blizzard games after they took punitive action against a professional gamer who spoke out in a tournament interview. It's not much, but small things like that can add up.

That’s actually impactful if we could get everyone on board. Or at least a majority. The scary thing is the NBA aside how much of our economy is dependent upon them. They could cripple us just with the debt owed to them, think of how much of our production comes from them too. How many companies even domestic manufacturers are dependent on some part of their product from China. We really almost need that to happen, to have that economic fall so we reinvest in our own manufacturing and we aren’t so dependent on them. This is pretty insane... they have influence over the NBA? This is all madness.

Return to Chicago Bulls