Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Pre-season Game 2: Dallas Mavericks 0-1 @ Detroit Pistons 0-1 Wed. 7PM 

Post#61 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:He doesn’t deserve one

No one else deserves the backup SF role either. If we had a clear favorite for that role I would be with you but why not give him a hustle/defense role off the bench, especially if we have Rose, Kennard, Morris, and Wood with him. That bench could be awesome.

I think if he can play D, then I totally agree with you. My only issue is, he looks absolutely lost on D at this point.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#62 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:He doesn’t deserve one

No one else deserves the backup SF role either. If we had a clear favorite for that role I would be with you but why not give him a hustle/defense role off the bench, especially if we have Rose, Kennard, Morris, and Wood with him. That bench could be awesome.

I think if he can play D, then I totally agree with you. My only issue is, he looks absolutely lost on D at this point.

In extremely limited minutes. He also did some good things in those extremely limited minutes. Like Firpo said, give him 20 minutes here and there and see if he is indeed a positive defensive player or not. We don't know yet.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,705

Post#63 » by zeebneeb » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 am

Okay missed the game but I'm seeing "lost on D" "doesn't deserve the backup SF spot" but in the box score(I know, I know)the rook is listed at 1minute played. Did he miss a huge assignment or something?

3 things;

He's a rookie so being lost is second nature, that's why you play them minutes.

Who else in this team "deserves" the backup SF role? To me that's Snell, with the rookie starting.

Why do the Pistons draft players at all? Just trade the pick in the package, or trade the rookie now, combined with whomever to improve the team. I never understood the Pistons way of picking, and then not playing. Andre is obviously the rare exception as of late, and most of the teams picks are "meh" at best, so use them in a trade. The team desperately needed a legitimate SF to take a sizable step forward, and instead are starting Snell.

The mind boggles.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#64 » by hoophabit » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 am

Finally finding a little rhythm. They gave Maker more run and he didn't look awful, but Wood continues to impress. Wood just hustles and mixes it up. Just two games though.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#65 » by ducler » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 am

I'm disappointed with Brown so far, and why the **** Galloway is still playing 19 minutes? Damn...
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,043

Post#66 » by JLiv » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:50 am

Sekou can’t even get preseason minutes?? SVG 2.0 orrr what
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#67 » by vege » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:29 am

I didn't bother to watch our pre season games, should I? Is Kennard more aggressive? How is Rose doing so far?
Blomberg
Junior
And1: 265

Post#68 » by Blomberg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 am

Yeah it's a preseason, but I'm worried because Sekou doesn't get any minutes. 1 minute of PT, wtf is that?

There's a lot of signs that he's just too raw to play at all for now. One of the signs being him not even being considered for French World Championships team and other being lack of playing time even in preseason. Hope I'm wrong though.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#69 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 am

Apart from G-League action, I don't expect much of anything from Dumboy this season. My sense is that he needs to acclimate to the NBA, calm down a little, play with some focus. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he contributes. I'm not losing sleep over how we handle an 18 year old non-lottery pick, not just yet.

If not for some unexpected repair work, I'd have been at this game. I'm bummed I missed a good one.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#70 » by dVs33 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 pm

I didn't watch the game, but from the small amount I've seen of sekou, he doesn't look anywhere near ready for a consistent role. He's super young and looks really raw. Just give him time to develop. I don't expect anything from him this year outside of garbage time minutes and that's OK.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#71 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm disappointed Khyri Thomas isn't getting any preseason minutes. I really want to see what he brings and should be playing over Galloway imo.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#72 » by tradez401 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm

opening night i'd like to see rose, kennard, snell, blake, drummond starting then reggie, brown, svi, morris, wood bench.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,705

Post#73 » by zeebneeb » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Blomberg wrote:Yeah it's a preseason, but I'm worried because Sekou doesn't get any minutes. 1 minute of PT, wtf is that?

There's a lot of signs that he's just too raw to play at all for now. One of the signs being him not even being considered for French World Championships team and other being lack of playing time even in preseason. Hope I'm wrong though.
Given the pistons current situation, the pick was terrible. We have Blake in his prime, partnered with another all star big man. The pick should have been included in a trade for a SF of value.

Either that, or you start him and I dont care how raw he is. He was supposed to go in the lottery.

Starting lineup day one should be;

Rose/Jackson-I dont really care on this to be honest.

Kennard-Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. Way, way to much talent to be coming off the bench behind Brown. One of the best shooters in the league already, and can do a myriad of things.

Rookie

Blake

Andre

If the rookie doesn't work out in 15-20 games, it's not like we are sacrificing some all star in Snell.

Anything less, and I'll wait for a trade. Commit with Blake, or tear it down.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#74 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 pm

vege wrote:I didn't bother to watch our pre season games, should I? Is Kennard more aggressive? How is Rose doing so far?

Kennard and Rose were fantastic last night.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#75 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
vege wrote:I didn't bother to watch our pre season games, should I? Is Kennard more aggressive? How is Rose doing so far?

It’s pretty clear there’s mutual respect and some chemistry developing there. Problem is that if Kennard should be starting (and most of us think he should), and he plays best when paired with Rose...well...

You can guess how the rest might be a little problematic.

But last night sure as hell looked like Rose is fully capable of outplaying Reggie for the starting job. And ultimately maybe that winds up being better for Reggie anyway. King of the second unit.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#76 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Manocad wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:

It’s pretty clear there’s mutual respect and some chemistry developing there. Problem is that if Kennard should be starting (and most of us think he should), and he plays best when paired with Rose...well...

But last night sure as hell looked like Rose is fully capable of outplaying Reggie for the starting job. And ultimately maybe that winds up being better for Reggie anyway. King of the second unit.

Yup, I noticed that their chemistry and balance together was really good last night compared to Rose just dominating the ball in the first game. My ideal scenario, if the front office is deciding to improve and win now, would be to use Jackson and Galloway's expiring and whatever else is necessary in a potential package to bring in a big upgrade at SF. Then we can just start Rose and Kennard together. The bench would then take a hit but I would rather have a rock solid starting 5 and then find other ways to fill out the bench.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#77 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
Manocad wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:

Yup, I noticed that their chemistry and balance together was really good last night compared to Rose just dominating the ball in the first game. My ideal scenario, if the front office is deciding to improve and win now, would be to use Jackson and Galloway's expiring and whatever else is necessary in a potential package to bring in a big upgrade at SF. Then we can just start Rose and Kennard together. The bench would then take a hit but I would rather have a rock solid starting 5 and then find other ways to fill out the bench.

I like the idea of having a real strong bench where starters can take longer breaks from the court. Rose and Kennard can lead that unit all while spending more time on the court in the 4th as well to close out games.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 563

Post#78 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:18 am

Glad to hear the team managed to play themselves into rhythm to come back and secure the win despite Blake just coasting along and not playing in the 4th.

Hope Rose is beginning to figure things out with the team. And that was the version of Kennard that we need.

A team that had to play guys like Calderon, Pachulia, Leuer, and even Galloway & Maker, for considerable spells off the bench last season was able to hang on to 6th for a short while.

Rose, Snell, Wood, Morris... On paper, our ceiling theoretically just got higher. Now if only health & chemistry will work a bit in our favor, we could approach that potential and make for a more worthwhile & engaging season to watch. :pray:
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#79 » by ducler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:59 am

Blomberg wrote:Yeah it's a preseason, but I'm worried because Sekou doesn't get any minutes. 1 minute of PT, wtf is that?

He wouldn't have made French team anyway.
First, coach prefers to use more experimented guys and also sometimes his choices are questionable: Fournier was already French best or 2nd best SG back in 2016 Olympics but he wasn't on the roster and wasn't injured at all.
Second, I believe Sekou preferred to manage his preparation this summer and work by himself. I expect to see him in 2020 Olympics extended shortlist thought.

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,378

Post#80 » by Billl » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:59 pm

_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:Glad to hear the team managed to play themselves into rhythm to come back and secure the win despite Blake just coasting along and not playing in the 4th.

Hope Rose is beginning to figure things out with the team. And that was the version of Kennard that we need.

A team that had to play guys like Calderon, Pachulia, Leuer, and even Galloway & Maker, for considerable spells off the bench last season was able to hang on to 6th for a short while.

Rose, Snell, Wood, Morris... On paper, our ceiling theoretically just got higher. Now if only health & chemistry will work a bit in our favor, we could approach that potential and make for a more worthwhile & engaging season to watch. :pray:

Our ceiling didn't get any higher, but I think our floor got lower. We're still just riding blake as far as he can take us. Unless we swing a major upgrade to the 1-3 starting slots, we are still in that tier of teams fighting for a playoff spot. Hopefully the improved bench will let blake rest a bit more so he isn't limping into the playoffs.

Return to Detroit Pistons