Marquese Chriss Open To Signing Two-Way Deal With Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Marquese Chriss Open To Signing Two-Way Deal With Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Marquese Chriss would be open to signing a Two-Way contract with the Golden State Warriors if he has no other options.

“I want to be in the NBA right now,” Chriss said. “So, I think if it comes down to it, that’s something I’d have to consider, that’s something I’d have to think about, but I just want to make the most of this opportunity and build from it.”

Chriss has been impressive early in the preseason for the Warriors.

After being a lottery pick in 2016 by the Phoenix Suns, Chriss has now played for four teams in three seasons.

Via Connor Letourneau/San Francisco Chronicle

lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Re: Marquese Chriss Open To Signing Two-Way Deal With Warriors 

Post#2 » by lonea » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:50 pm

lol, this bum is gonna play the full year in the g league
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#3 » by totalrekall » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:23 pm

the Warriors could use him. the team is shorthanded and bereft of talent in the frontcourt. the only players who are reliable are Green and Looney. a good organization like the Warriors will get the most out of him and could turn his career around. if he takes his job seriously he will have a major role. if not, his career is effectively over
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#4 » by alphatron10 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Why do they need to free up a roster spot for him in the first place? If they cut Andrew Harrison, Juan Toscano, and Kavion Pippen, then he makes the active roster. No two-way necessary.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#5 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 pm

I believe If they carry only 13 regular contracts until the deadline, that helps them with luxury tax. They can just convert their 2-ways after the deadline.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#6 » by DCRYsing89 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 pm

totalrekall wrote:the Warriors could use him. the team is shorthanded and bereft of talent in the frontcourt. the only players who are reliable are Green and Looney. a good organization like the Warriors will get the most out of him and could turn his career around. if he takes his job seriously he will have a major role. if not, his career is effectively over

Because the warriors set a Hardcap on themselves with the DLo trade, in doing so they have to relieve cap to sign new players.
Pretty sure signing him to min would put them over, and therefore be illegal salary wise.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#7 » by LukasBMW » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Hassan Whiteside 2.0

Talented moron plays himself out of the league
Talented moron gets his stuff together and dominates the D league
Talented moron gets a 10 day contract and shines
Talented moron gets a huge deal
Talented moron plays well for a few years and then becomes a terrible contract.

Chriss will follow this same path.
kanahda ballz
Junior
And1: 248

Post#8 » by kanahda ballz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 am

Well below average player.......... with attitude to boot.

I remember last season when he was with the Cavs and he threw Serge Ibaka to the floor and stood over Serge giving him the stare down...........like he was reincarnate of Shaquille O'Neal :lol: .

This is most likely his last shot to stick in the NBA.
attilathehun
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by attilathehun » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:54 am

As DCRYsing89 said, the Warrior are hard capped because of the DLo deal. They have 14 players under contract, and that eats up their entire cap space, so they cannot sign anyone unless they cut someone to make the cap space. They cannot carry a 15th player at all. Of their 14 under contract, all but Alfonso McKinnie are fully guaranteed contracts, so they have to be paid even if cut. That means the only way they can sign another player to the regular NBA roster is to cut Alfonso McKinnie, since his contract is not guaranteed.

They also have two 2-way players, Damion Lee and Ky Bowman, and their contracts are not guaranteed either. Two-way players spend most of the season in the G league but can play limited time in the NBA.

So to sign Chriss or anyone else they have to cut McKinnie, opening a spot on the 15-man roster, or cut one of their 2-way players and sign the new player to a 2-way contract.

Return to Wiretap Discussion