Image ImageImage Image

Pelicans @ Bulls - Preseason Game #2 Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,583

Re: Pelicans @ Bulls - Preseason Game #2 Thread 

Post#801 » by Dez » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:06 am

Clocian wrote:I need improvement from Lauri by the trade deadline. You know he's gonna want the max. I would not be willing to give him that just as a 3 pt shooter. He can't create, handle is shaky, and has a non-existent post game (just the basics would do).

You are aware that the Bulls have a team option on him for 20/21 right? He's on the books for 5.3M this season and they'll accept his team option for 6.7M next season.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#802 » by Axolotl » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:08 am

Since this has more or less turned into a Lauri Markkanen -thread, here's how the board reacted when the Bulls drafted him ;)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1581737
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#803 » by Benedict Miller » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:31 am

I'm not at all worried about Markkanen. I hope he remains healthy and on the Bulls for his career.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#804 » by drosereturn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:36 am

Benedict Miller wrote:I'm not at all worried about Markkanen. I hope he remains healthy and on the Bulls for his career.

I think health is a huge concern for him and Carter and when their contract come up, is mgt prepared to offer max money? If Lauri takes paycut I dont mind keeping for entire career but its hard to be a Duncan,Dirk.
The worst scenario is they become good enough to be above avg starters (not elite) yet make what an actual star would make.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#805 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:29 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
I don't think Lauri is some horrible disappointment or anything, but I have thought for some time that his trade value is the most valuable thing about him. I think he's such a great trade asset that he could be a centerpiece in a trade for the next franchise-level player that becomes available, which depending on age, is something I'd hope we'd consider.

I would trade anyone on this team for a proven star in his prime, so that's not really a view that's specific to just Markkanen. However, those talking about trading him for a draft pick because of two preseason games are ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But I do think it is specific to Lauri. He's the only one who has that kind of trade value, so that's why most people are discussing the idea of trading him and not doing it with Carter, LaVine, etc.

I think Carter has comparable value and LaVine is building himself up as well on a bargain contract.

We all know though if Markkanen had two great games, these conversations aren't happening. It's clear some want preseason validation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#806 » by mj234eva » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm

ZOMG wrote:
Spoiler:
PaKii94 wrote:
logical_art wrote:
Play basketball in the NBA. More specifically, shooting, finishing and all around scoring, as well as athleticism.

Kornet looks promising, but I'm not willing to pronounce it a fact that he's a better player based on a single preseason game or that + a few games vs Chicago last season. At every step of their college and pro career, Lauri has been a better player than Luke. That could possibly (but unlikely) change, but it hasn't based on a preseason games or a few games vs a single team.

I guess his point is Luke is playing better than Lauri right now. which is true for the one preseason game they played together..... :roll:

I don't care if Lauri has some individual skills that are better than Kornet in a vacuum (he probably does). Basketball isn't played in a vacuum. For one reason or another, Lauri is having trouble fitting in with the team's new style of play. Kornet? He fits fine.

Kornet is at least as good an outside shooter, much more active, MUCH longer (putting him in another class as a rim protector), and a good passer. Lauri might be a bit quicker... and that's about it.

Lauri is a good guy but there's no guarantees in this league. We've seen many occasions where unheralded dudes have joined teams and eventually stolen starting positions. Maybe Lauri needs a true wake-up call.

This is going to be a long season.
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#807 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Very loud vocal minority here expectations for Lauri set little too high imo.

Zach just now figuring it out.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,543

Post#808 » by PaKii94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Would you guys have been better if Lauri had a Porizingis like performance? Chucking up turn around midrange shots?

He played a smart game when his team was ahead. That's what you want with a smart player. No need to exert extra energy in pointless preseason games when you have 82 regular season games (and hopefully bonus playoff games) ahead of him. We know Lauri can score. We should be happy he is working on the other aspects of his game (playmaking and defense)
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,691

Post#809 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:47 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Would you guys have been better if Lauri had a Porizingis like performance? Chucking up turn around midrange shots?

He played a smart game when his team was ahead. That's what you want with a smart player. No need to exert extra energy in pointless preseason games when you have 82 regular season games (and hopefully bonus playoff games) ahead of him. We know Lauri can score. We should be happy he is working on the other aspects of his game (playmaking and defense)

Well haven't seen much of that so far, which is where some of the frustration comes in. But yea, preseason and he had fatique issues down the stretch last year (to put it mildly) no reason to waste energy.

If he doesn't show much more by December then it will be time to start debating his future in Chicago. If he's just a solid starter that changes things.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#810 » by PaKii94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:02 pm

madvillian wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Would you guys have been better if Lauri had a Porizingis like performance? Chucking up turn around midrange shots?

Well haven't seen much of that so far, which is where some of the frustration comes in. But yea, preseason and he had fatique issues down the stretch last year (to put it mildly) no reason to waste energy.

If he doesn't show much more by December then it will be time to start debating his future in Chicago. If he's just a solid starter that changes things.

But we have though. like I mentioned in my previous post Lauri had 4 assists yesterday + multiple hockey assists in 24 minutes. Last year he had 4 or more only 4 times in the 52 games he played. That's more than double his rate last year. Also, I think he has done a good job with defense so far but that's more of a eye test thing. One thing I did notice is I think Lauri has taken over the box out the big underneath the basket role that Rolo had. I wonder if that's because WCJ is out or that's part of the game plan
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#811 » by PaKii94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Well sh*t. Noone is playing for the bulls tonight.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#812 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:30 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Well sh*t. Noone is playing for the bulls tonight.

3 in 5 nights to start the preseason. Stupid scheduling.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,057

Post#813 » by MrSparkle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm

They really should dump pre-season. Have 2 fun scrimmages and then boom, hit the season. Jesus Christ, about 35 games of the season are total chew-popcorn while commercials glare blowout borefests anyway.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,030

Post#814 » by FriedRise » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:46 pm

madvillian wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Well sh*t. Noone is playing for the bulls tonight.

3 in 5 nights to start the preseason. Stupid scheduling.

Indiana had an even more stupid scheduling. They started with a back to back last Saturday/Sunday with both games were against the Kings, and nothing since! :lol:

I hope Wendell plays a little bit though. If he's fully healthy, he should play 10-15 minutes to ramp up his stamina. And since none of the other starters are playing:

Coby / Dunn / Valentine / Young / WCJ
Arch / Mokoka / Simon / Kornet / Gafford

Enough with Felicio.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#815 » by bad knees » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Time for the Coby and UniKornet show.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#816 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:34 pm

bad knees wrote:Time for the Coby and UniKornet show.

I'm looking forward to seeing Coby with the keys to the car for most of his minutes. We'll see how he can be as the primary creator. I'd expect some struggles, but also some flashes.

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#817 » by sco » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,194

Post#818 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 pm

madvillian wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing Coby with the keys to the car for most of his minutes. We'll see how he can be as the primary creator. I'd expect some struggles, but also some flashes.

I assume Indy is fielding thEir bench too? So a slightly more organized summer league game?
madvillian
RealGM

Post#819 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
madvillian wrote:

I assume Indy is fielding thEir bench too? So a slightly more organized summer league game?

Yea and on Friday night. Probably won't bother with much of this one. First quarter might be interesting.

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#820 » by transplant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:27 pm

It's only summer league.

It's only preseason.

It's only _ games.

Ah, some things never change.

I'm definitely with those who preach patience, but I am so happy to be watching Bulls basketball again, particularly when I believe that the team will actually be trying to win games. Keep the premature hot takes coming. I may (and probably do) disagree, but it's great to see so many fans engaged again. Preseason may suck, but it doesn't suck nearly as much as the offseason.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan

Return to Chicago Bulls