Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#5641 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Christmas has come early for the Patriots this season.

Their only remaining games that are interesting to me are @ Baltimore and @ Philly in back-to-back weeks.

The ones left that could/likely will be ugly: vs. Giants, @ Jets, vs. Browns, @ Bengals, vs. Bills, vs. Dolphins

Just a ridiculously easy schedule this year (again) for them. Offensive woes and lack of being challenged defensively considered.

Go ahead and believe the Browns, Cowboys, Texans, and Chiefs games will be interesting but they aren't compelling challengers to me.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5642 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5643 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Reason for mentioning this is the 49ers also worked out Amerson and Sensabaugh but signed Dontae Johnson last week instead. And obviously they once had Wright on their roster, who was an absolute nightmare and not in a good way.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5644 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Update on Kwon's snaps so far:

Total: 169
Coverage snaps: 100
Run defense snaps: 58
Pass rush snaps: 11
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#5645 » by NinerSickness » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:40 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Update on Kwon's snaps so far:

Total: 169
Coverage snaps: 100
Run defense snaps: 58
Pass rush snaps: 11

Kwon has been one of the biggest surprises for me. He's played better than he did in Tampa, and that's coming AFTER getting paid. That usually doesn't happen.

I'm surprised Deone Bucannon got cut. Maybe pick him up for depth?
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5646 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5647 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 am

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5648 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:04 am

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5649 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

One of the instances where the league rescinds a fine.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5650 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Watch: 49ers LB Kwon Alexander surprises his mother with a new car
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129170-watch-49ers-kwon-alexander-surprises-his-mother-new/
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5651 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5652 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#5653 » by NinerSickness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Watch: 49ers LB Kwon Alexander surprises his mother with a new car
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129170-watch-49ers-kwon-alexander-surprises-his-mother-new/

Awwwww. :clap:
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5654 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:26 am

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#5655 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:09 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Could explain why that Pats D is looking so good to start the season. That and they've had maybe the easiest schedule to start a season in the history of professional football.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5656 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Sony not being the Sony I expect and that OL would be bigger concerns to me than Brady. May not really know anything until November when they go @ Ravens, bye, @ Eagles, vs. Cowboys, @ Texans, vs. Chiefs either. And I don't think they'll necessarily be challenged in those areas by the Cowboys, Texans or Chiefs either.

Just a ridiculous scheduling year in combo with their annual divisional scheduling.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5657 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:37 pm

13 NFL assistants who could get head-coach interviews: Get to know these names

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27814643/13-nfl-assistants-get-head-coach-interviews-get-know-names

Nothing you wouldn't expect if you follow this kind of thing - other than maybe Shane Waldron.

Matt Eberflus
Robert Saleh
Kris Richard
Leslie Frazier
Bret Bielema
George Edwards
Dennis Allen
Eric Bieniemy
Dan Campbell
Greg Roman
Kevin Stefanski
Byron Leftwich
Shane Waldron

I have 0 slam dunk NFL candidates anymore now that Urban Meyer really isn't an option anymore. (Ex: Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, Bruce Arians).

A number of guys I like - some make this list - but none I love. All come with different question marks and it's about minimizing the questions of each.

I still don't think Saleh is part of the Niners solution so it wouldn't hurt me that bad if he got his chance, though I really don't have high expectations it will come to that before they decide they have to move on from him. (As a guy, I'd LOVE to sit down and talk to him because he's a cool guy, interesting, and very engaging).

I'm not as enamored with Kris Richard as many are/have been. Willing to acknowledge he could be one of those types that surprises me after he gets his shot (Ron Rivera, Dan Quinn, Matt Nagy, Bill O'Brien, Andy Reid once he went to KC, Anthony Lynn, Doug Pederson.

I have a hard time believing Leslie Frazier should ever get another chance. He's a lifelong assistant and I wouldn't even pursue him with that if I had my chance to hire.

Bret Bielema needs time before I'm even willing to jump aboard the idea of him being a high level ASSISTANT, let alone HC.

George Edwards kind of falls into some of the same categories as Saleh does. Don't subscribe to a lot of his eyes but I have a lot of respect for him as a football guy and would be someone I'd love to sit down with. He's probably closer to being worth consideration as an assistant on a staff than Saleh is but they fall into similar categories to me.

Dennis Allen is probably the worst name on that list. Under NO circumstances would I hire him for ANY position if I had the chance. I don't get that one. Fascinating that one of my favorite coaches (Payton) hired one of my least favorite names out there (Allen) and relies on him so much.

Eric Bieniemy could end up on the Rivera, Quinn, Nagy, O'Brien, Reid surprise list one day where I end up liking him more after he gets his shot but going in he probably wouldn't get much consideration from me as of today. I expect him to be one of the next guys from this list to get his shot, though, so we will probably find out how right/wrong I am.

Dan Campbell falls onto the Saleh/Edwards list of guys I'd really love to sit down and talk to on an entertainment/learning level than as a serious candidate/interview type. Although, I probably subscribe to MORE of the same ideas that Campbell does than Saleh and Edwards. He's more of a mystery than a lot of these guys just because his coaching career only started in 2010. But I'd stick him on the Saleh/Edwards list.

When I still had a long list of guys I thought were slam dunk/definite hires, Roman wasn't AS attractive to me but since his late Stanford days and his definite Niner days I REALLY loved a lot of the things he does and think he's interesting. My biggest questions about him are if his time passed him by. I don't know how he would set up a modern day football organization and relate to players of today. Those might be the biggest challenges with him. I'd be curious to see what kind of staff he could get because I think there's a wide range there - it might be really good or it might be underwhelming. Not sure. He's probably one of my favorite names out there BUT he probably also has a wider range of how he might do than some other guys I like.

Kevin Stefanski. Could put him down on the surprise list. Don't subscribe to a lot of the same ideas as him either but I also feel like he's harder to peg for coaching connection level and as an offensive mind. He's a bit of an unknown to me on an advanced level. I won't go in saying he's a definitive terrible choice or an intriguing hire until I firm up some of my thoughts on him. I'd be underwhelmed by a Stefanski hire more so for the unknown reasons than for things I definitively know about him right now.

Byron Leftwich. I've never understood the rapid rise there. The fact that Arians vouches so hard for him intrigues me because I LOVE Arians but I feel like he's always not going to do it for me on many levels. I want to sit back, not be too vocal about him for a while, and see what he molds himself into because right now I don't have solid opinions on him other than a decent amount of skepticism from my days of listening to him as a player.

Shane Waldron. Interesting background. Interesting upbringing from a coaching perspective. Has interesting NFL ties. Big unknown on a lot of things so far just because of how often he's bounced around and it's hard to know so far how many formed hard ideas he has. Wouldn't get much of a reaction out of me because he's such an unknown and not a lot of others that I've researched have a lot to say about him yet.

--------------

Speaking of Dan Quinn. If he's out at the end of the year and Saleh does get a surprise HC offer, it'd be easy to see the dots being connected on Quinn being the next DC.

If Richard gets his shot somewhere, it'd also be easy to see Pete Carroll giving him his next landing spot but that one is a little trickier because they just made Ken Norton Jr. their DC after he left the 49ers one week after getting the asst. HC job (a number of responsibilities and control still falls on Carroll) and they have split DL coach responsibilities between Jethro Franklin and Clint Hurtt (also has the asst. HC title).
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5658 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5659 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:46 am

Patriots put Jakob Johnson on IR. He's the 2nd FB they've had to put on IR (James Develin).
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5660 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Return to San Francisco 49ers