Image ImageImage Image

Preferred rotation

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Re: Preferred rotation 

Post#21 » by PaKii94 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Now I'm envisioning:

Starters: Sato [30] - Lavine [34] - OPJ [30] - Lauri [34] - WCJ [32]
Main Backups: White [20] - ___________ [14] - Young [30] - Kornet [16]
Bench Warmers: Archi - Shaq - Mokoka - Gafford - felicio

The blank will be filled out situational-ly depending on the play of Dunn (defensive higher usage guard)/Valentine (Shooting offensive flow guard)/Hutch (defensive disruptor wing). I wanted to put Gafford in the rotation but Kornet provides valuable spacing along with semi decent rim protection. Gafford is situational if we need a rim runner.

I don't think Sato/OPJ/Young will get above 30 mins. They are the "vets" and will be load maintained. i want to see Lavine/Lauri/WCJ as the highest minute players. They need the experience and they have young legs. This rotation would fit league standards of 7-8 solid rotation players and 8-10 being players who can step up and fill in gaps.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#22 » by transplant » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Satoransky, LaVine, Porter, Markkanen, Carter and Young are all legit high-minutes guys. White should get 20mpg split between the two guard spots. That’s 7 guys. Kornet and Gafford look good enough to me so we shouldn’t have to see anymore of Felicio. I expect Hutchison and Valentine to be competent subs. That’s 11 and enough barring injury.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#23 » by weneeda2guard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Sato, lavine, porter jr, lauri, Carter Jr to start
White, valentine, hutch, young and kornet for the bench

If hutch out we do white, arci, valentine, young and kornet with gafford getting minutes as well.

That rotation gets us a 6th seed imo
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#24 » by ZOMG » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm

I'm very surprised to see that people envision Carter playing 30+ minutes of C and Kornet getting some leftovers.

How does that work? From what we've seen, Kornet is a legit rim protector AND he can hit the all-important corner 3 all day long. I know we have a tendency to think that as a #7 pick, the job is Carter's to lose, but let's face it - he's an undersized 6'9'' center who's yet to prove he can shoot in the NBA.

We have to go with the guys who give us the best chance of winning.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#25 » by PaKii94 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 pm

ZOMG wrote:I'm very surprised to see that people envision Carter playing 30+ minutes of C and Kornet getting some leftovers.

How does that work? From what we've seen, Kornet is a legit rim protector AND he can hit the all-important corner 3 all day long. I know we have a tendency to think that as a #7 pick, the job is Carter's to lose, but let's face it - he's an undersized 6'9'' center who's yet to prove he can shoot in the NBA.

Kornet would get exposed trying to guard the perimeter. I think WCJ has a great leg up for that. Along with the rest of the fundamentals I think WCJ has the advantage in. Finally, Kornet doesn't have the strength to bang with the heavyset centers. His rim protection comes with his length. With WCJ's purported weight gain, he should have an advantage in that too.But I agree. WCJ needs to start showing the ability from the 3 for him to truly be a next level factor otherwise Kornet will start eating into his minutes.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#26 » by GrowingHorns » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:48 am

It's hard come up with exact minutes, but i'll say this: i prefer to go on the season with little bit of conditioning in mind but not too much to hinder the geling together with the guys that matter. I'd try to give a bit of a run for some bench guys in certain games and more minutes for another bench guys in another games, depending of the match-ups, so in event if we face up with problems (like injuries), we have introduced the system for good dozen of guys in Zach, Sato, Coby, Arcie, Otto, Z3l, Shaq, Lauri, Wendell, Thadd, Luke, Gaff + Dunn. With Dunn i'm bit troubled as i still feel like it's pretty possible he might be wanting to be traded by himself and FO no matter what they say, but I guess we need to see him some minutes nevertheless, but make sure he understands his role.

PG: Sato 26 Coby 12 Arcie/Dunn 10
SG: Zach 30 Coby 12 Z3l/Sato 6
SF: Otto 30 Z3l/Sato/Shaq/Hutch 18
PF: Lauri 24 Thadd 24
C: Wendell 26 Luke/Gaff 16 Lauri 6

I have put max. 30 minutes for everyone to start the season. Sacramento Kings had last season only three players over 30 minutes mark (Fox, Hield, Barnes) and I think with the pace and transition scoring we're about to build on, this is the approach we should take.

I put pretty big list of names under SF. Behind Otto Z3l has limitations to play in certain line-ups, he needs more good defenders around him than Sato or Hutch, once he's back healthy. Shaq then again, isn't really a sf, but I could see him as a slasher type of Slash'n'D guy off the bench, especially when we could rotate shooters with him in those minute to provide shooting, and Luke off the bench, maybe even Lauri rotating for few spot up center minutes.

For Coby I would like to see even amount of play in both PG/SG, I really think we might want to cherish his combo guard characteristics and give a feel of both positions, especially that in this era of "positionless basketball" they really aren't as locked in like past years.

EDIT: Tried to fix some typos and also, in summary: my three guys breaking 30 minutes mark are Zach, Lauri and Otto. Second group of Sato, Thadd, Coby and Dell lingering around 25-30 minutes while the rest will play what they will get.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#27 » by GrowingHorns » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:07 am

PaKii94 wrote:
ZOMG wrote:I'm very surprised to see that people envision Carter playing 30+ minutes of C and Kornet getting some leftovers.

Kornet would get exposed trying to guard the perimeter. I think WCJ has a great leg up for that. Along with the rest of the fundamentals I think WCJ has the advantage in. Finally, Kornet doesn't have the strength to bang with the heavyset centers. His rim protection comes with his length. With WCJ's purported weight gain, he should have an advantage in that too.But I agree. WCJ needs to start showing the ability from the 3 for him to truly be a next level factor otherwise Kornet will start eating into his minutes.

And myself, i don't want Dell to break 30 minutes mark. i want him to rather stay fit and play fierce 24-28 minutes especially early season, to stay healthy. And in some games go for bigger minutes. I want us to push the pace, be physical and be shooting lot of threes and driving to the hole. The more fresh legs we have the better chances to make it happen. We have a bunch os weapons off the bench now. And if we're about to go with Boylen's words, we have chosen from two philosophical approaches the more simpler set of playbook we're gonna roll with, instead of very conplicated playbook. I actually like this choice as we have plenty of young guys needing and also deserving minutes, it helps the several line-ups to replicate things even there's more variation.

But of course: if the game needs it, and the win column needs it, they have to go and will go with the guys that are playing the best, and minutes might climb up. i hope we don't need them to climb up for anyone too much, and the richness in roatations with simplicity of playbook combined to fresh legs through sensible minutes played/game will provide us the route for playoffs.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#28 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 am

wolffy wrote:Just trying to figure these mins out, one thing is clear, they have a deep and versatile team. Maybe it lacks that top end talent but it has a ton of pieces.

I think Zach will be considered a top end talent when the season is over.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#29 » by sco » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:57 am

I want to use our depth to keep our starters fresh (and healthy) for the long-haul.

PG Sato 24 / Coby 24
SG Lavine 30 / Sato 6/ Coby 2 / Val 10
SF Otto 30 / Thad 8/ Hutch 10
PF Lauri 30 / Thad 18
C Wendell 28 / Kornett 12 / Gafford 8

I think Shaq and Val are offense/defense switched late in games. I would love to see some line-ups like:

Coby/Shaq/Thad/Kornet/Gafford
Coby/Val/Hutch/Thad/Kornet
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#30 » by FriedRise » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 am

I dunno about the specific minutes management, but I’d like to see more of the true 5-out with Sato / LaVine / Otto / Lauri / Kornet. That lineup is super lethal offensively and isn’t all that bad on the defensive end either.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#31 » by drosereturn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 am

I wouldnt play Carter more than 30 since he is rusty and injury prone.
Load management him and give Gafford at least 20min since he can have a Mitch Robinson type season.
Get rid of either of Val/Hutch. Their role greatly overlap and I rather develop 1 guy rather than splitting minutes.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,919

Post#32 » by ChettheJet » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Minutes are just minutes

Dunn
Lavine
Carter
Porter
Markkanen

I can see midway through the 1st and 3rd Valentine coming in for Porter

The end of the 1st and 3rd/ start of the 2nd and 4th probably sees

Satoransky
White
Kornet
Porter
Young

Valentine returns with the starters into the 2nd and 4th Porter returns to close out the half and game. Of the three PGs whoever is hot that night or matches up best gets more minutes.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#33 » by Hugi Mancura » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I wouldn't put Coby in starting 5. He is a scorer and there is more than enough scoring in first unit. So he could shine in second unit. Also his playing style in mine mind suits better in SG spot, but I have never actually liked scoring PG's. I think they should be put in SG spot. I do believe Valentine will get some of his legs under him when season goes forward. Sato suits best with starters, but I still think they will start a season with Dunn. But I hope they will see the truth later in the season. Also because team is now deeper I don't give anyone over 32 minutes. Also most likely team will use 3 guard (Sato, Lavine and Dunn/Coby lineups during the season)

PG: Sato 26 / Dunn: 20 / Arci 2
SG: Lavine 32 / Coby 16
SF: Porter 30 / Valentine 14 / Hutch 4
PF: Markkanen 28 / Young 20 / Kornet 8
C: WCJ 28 / Gafford 11 / Felicio 1
(rest of the 8 minutes will come from people in PF as you might see people in there have some extra)

ps. injuries will mix this up. So rest of the players do get some minutes here and there and players like Arci and Hutch will play more on average than is marked there.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#34 » by mack2354 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:32 am

I really really am not a fan of Dunn. He has the physical attributes and skill to be good but there is something off between the ears. I'm now willing to give Dunn the preseason and first 10 games of the season to prove he can be some semblance of consistent. Then he gets benched in favor of Arch.

Tomas 28 Dunn(Arch) 14 White 6
Lavine 34 White 14
OPJ 34 Valentine 10 Tomas 4
Lauri 32 Young 16
WCJ 28 Kornet/Gafford 20
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#35 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:07 am

ChettheJet wrote:Minutes are just minutes

Dunn
Lavine
Carter
Porter
Markkanen

I can see midway through the 1st and 3rd Valentine coming in for Porter

The end of the 1st and 3rd/ start of the 2nd and 4th probably sees

Satoransky
White
Kornet
Porter
Young

Valentine returns with the starters into the 2nd and 4th Porter returns to close out the half and game. Of the three PGs whoever is hot that night or matches up best gets more minutes.

No way is Kris Dunn our starting point guard. Satoransky has already won the job. I would MUCH rather start Arch if I had to choose between him and Dunn TBH.

Sato
Lavine
Otto
Lauri
Wendell

Arch/ Dunn
Coby/ Shaq
Val/ Hutch
Thad/ Luke
Gafford/Luke

That is the team. Maybe Mokaka sticks and gets spot minutes.

I think WCJ should play around 24 MPG. Lauri should stay around 30. Nobody needs to play more than 30 MPG on this team.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,153

Post#36 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:14 am

I don't really know what I'm basing this on exactly, but am I wrong or is there a legit chance for Gafford to beat out Kornet (amd Felicio) for the backup C role?
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#37 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 am

Sato, Lavine, Porter, Markk, WCJ
Archi, White, Hutch\Val, Young, Kornet or Gafford
Harrison, Simon, Mokoka

Im done with Dunn, Felicio, trade Kris, waive Cris..
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am

League Circles wrote:I don't really know what I'm basing this on exactly, but am I wrong or is there a legit chance for Gafford to beat out Kornet (amd Felicio) for the backup C role?

No chance. Shooting from the 5 position is extremely important for this team. WCJ hasn't showed an ability to hit the corner 3 either, but at least he can make some short jumpers.

It's good that Carter has some true pressure now to improve his long range shooting, otherwise Luke will move him to the bench in situations where you absolutely need floor spacing.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#39 » by dumbell78 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 am

Some of you guys are really low on total minutes for our core guys. Barring injuries Zach and Lauri should be be over 32 minutes and I can easily see Porter at 35 minutes.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:00 pm

dumbell78 wrote:Some of you guys are really low on total minutes for our core guys. Barring injuries Zach and Lauri should be be over 32 minutes and I can easily see Porter at 35 minutes.

With the amount he moves out there at his size, I'm not sure Lauri's body can take 32+ minutes for 82 games (and possibly more).

Return to Chicago Bulls