Image ImageImage Image

Bulls @ Pacers: Preseason Game #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Re: Bulls @ Pacers: Preseason Game #3 

Post#181 » by madvillian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:37 am

MGB8 wrote:Lots of hot takes about a guy in his 3rd preseason game as a young rookie.

Was expecting to see a celebration given that he broke out for a volume standpoint and looked like he clearly belongs in the NBA...

yea it's a pretty good sign he didn't completely **** the bed as the the #1 option, even in preseason. he's impressive. he knows how to use his body to create space. not a great playmaker by any stretch, at least yet, but can create for himself. that's a great sign early. He's not the most explosive guy but he's pretty sturdy and knows how to lean into guys.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#182 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 am

Couldnt watch game working night shift, but coby being leading scorer, leading volume and still ending efficient in his 3rd nba game is very good sign. And seems he was essentialy playing SG just looking from boxscore perspective
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#183 » by kodo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:01 am

Coby has played 0 minutes at PG so far.
So far, 100% SG.
Seems to be just a coaching decision. Denzel has played more "PG" than Coby.

What was interesting is that White could have shot a lot more than he did, he was open many times and didn't shoot and just kept moving the ball. 10-22 sounds like a ballhog, but he wasn't jacking up shots. TBH quite a few were bail out shots where the offense just broke down (when didn't it break down) and White had to create something out of nothing. Even Simon had to put up 15 FGA, there just wasn't a lot of offensive options out there.

Everyone wants very badly for Coby to be a PG because of team needs, but most likely White was just BPA but not at the position we needed. It's most likely the position where we're strongest, SG.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#184 » by Red8911 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:01 am

SHO'NUFF wrote:Coby is probably not a PG. I see him more as a scoring guard...which is absolutely fine. Play Coby behind Lavine & Arci behind Satoranski.

I didn’t watch him in North Carolina but from the very first game he played in summer league you can tell that Coby isn’t really a PG. Sure he can play there but he’s mostly a scorer and yeah there’s no problem with that at all. He’s definitely talented and is going to be very good . I think both picks Coby and Gafford were steals.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#185 » by old skool » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:05 am

At this point it is unlikely that Coby's assist numbers will go lower.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#186 » by Red8911 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:07 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I am really rooting for the guy, but I really thought this was the game Dunn was going to take over. There is nothing ahead of him and he still in like no mans land.

HIs steals and defense is always really good. Has 6 steals. He has heart. You cant take that away from him.

This was the perfect time for Dunn to show everyone that he should be the guy. This is a real let down.
That ship has sailed, Dunn is what he is which is a tough defensive role player that comes off the bench.Its not a bad role to have, just not a starter like we all thought he was.

Even if he did put up better numbers in preseason he still wouldn’t be a good fit to start anyway. Satoransky is the type of starting pg that was missing next to Lavine.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#187 » by mack2354 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:36 am

Had never played PG until his 1 year in college. It wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff already have him pinned as a scoring guard 6th man type off the bench. Giving him the green light to get comfortable scoring against NBA defenders. I don't know how many times today he set up a teammate and they missed the shot or passed up on it but it looks weird for him to have zero assists. I saw Arch set up Felicio for a nice assist on a roll to the basket. Felicio! You can't tell me Coby couldn't have played pick n roll/pop with Gafford/Kornet to get 1 assist. 10-22 with no assists just feels abnormal for a player that you are coaching up to be the PG of the future.

I'm fine with Coby being our Lavine of the 2nd unit this year but it seems weird from a coach's stand point to tell a player to go be a black hole. Step 1, get comfortable scoring efficiently in high volume. Step 2, figure out how to pass out of double teams and set up your teammates. It makes me wonder if Bobby Portis wasn't given the same advice when he was here but never completed his step 2.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,374

Post#188 » by DuckIII » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:22 am

Coby is a combo guard. But a combo guard works fine with Lavine. He’s a good fit in Chicago.

One thing I like about White is how he uses his body. Probably won’t happen as a rook, but in time Coby is going to shoot a lot of free throws.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,768

Post#189 » by beeshma » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 am

MrSparkle wrote:Who the hell was Coby supposed to pass the ball to for an assist? :lol:

Dunn was plodding the ball out of the air most the time so he wisely decided to just "go for it" every time the ball came into his hands.

I disagree with the "just going for it" part. That's what Zach does. Coby definitely looked to pass on every possession. Problem was he only looked in a 10 foot radius. He was not able to see the entire half court, or perhaps has not learned the plays yet.
High level
Analyst
And1: 595

Post#190 » by High level » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 am

Damn Val with just 3 points and played 26 mins as starter in preseason. Not a good sign.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#191 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:08 am

High level wrote:Damn Val with just 3 points and played 26 mins as starter in preseason. Not a good sign.

I'm worried about the wings behind LaVine and OPJ. Wish the team could acquire someone like Belinelli or E'Twaun Moore. Both would provide some scoring and especially shooting to the bench.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#192 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:33 am

SHO'NUFF wrote:Coby is probably not a PG. I see him more as a scoring guard...which is absolutely fine. Play Coby behind Lavine & Arci behind Satoranski.

Thats why he is a good fit since he can play either guard position.
Right now im in the boat of you play ur best player at the 1 and work your backcourt around that.
That would make him a 2 with zach and and a 1 paired with the other guards on the team.
For the sake of argument im gonna say a top 7 pick is better than sato but that is subjective.

He doesnt have to be pidgeonholed to a position.
There may be times you want to tank the pointguard matchup and who you play there is circumstantial.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#193 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:34 am

Coby is proving game in and game out he is SG, not a PG.. Great offensive game, but ZERO assists is just odd for me, for a guard.. Had zero turnovers too, but he aint passing the ball much.,soo.. He will be ok player for Bulls, Sato - Lavine 1st backcourt combo and Archi - White should be 2nd backcourt combo from bench.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#194 » by drosereturn » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am

kodo wrote:Coby has played 0 minutes at PG so far.
So far, 100% SG.
Seems to be just a coaching decision. Denzel has played more "PG" than Coby.

What was interesting is that White could have shot a lot more than he did, he was open many times and didn't shoot and just kept moving the ball. 10-22 sounds like a ballhog, but he wasn't jacking up shots. TBH quite a few were bail out shots where the offense just broke down (when didn't it break down) and White had to create something out of nothing. Even Simon had to put up 15 FGA, there just wasn't a lot of offensive options out there.

Everyone wants very badly for Coby to be a PG because of team needs, but most likely White was just BPA but not at the position we needed. It's most likely the position where we're strongest, SG.

playing sg doesnt mean you cannot make an assist. Considering how many minutes he has played, the number of assists is mind boggling. and you can see he has tunnel vision and not a good passer. he is not a ballhog like Butler, Dunn but jacks up way too many shots. I just dont like 1 dimensional players that can only score. We already plenty in Lavine, Lauri.

White has never properly been trained to play pg. He was just randomly slotted as the defacto pg at UNC but nowhere did he demonstrate his pg skills. It was more of a combination of scoring, and jack of all trades skillset that made him a lottery pick.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM

Post#195 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 am

Not sure why White's lack of assist numbers is surprising, or being made out to be a big deal. This was known about him coming out of UNC. Coby is more of a 2 guard than a 1 until he learns to run an offense and work on his handle. Coby isn't going to become a NBA point guard over night. Even if that does happen Coby has a scorer mentality and I doubt that will go away, nor should it (unless he became a black hole which I don't see him as)

Me personally, I've always viewed him as Eric Gordon, who is a fantastic 6th man who can score in bunches. I would be extremely happy with that outcome.
danzou
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#196 » by danzou » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 am

He is basically collin sexton, which isn't a bad thing.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#197 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:Kornet came back down to earth tonight after a great showing last night. I really hope all this talk about him being better than Lauri gets put to rest, because it's just nonsense. That said, I like Kornet and glad he's on the team. I thought some of the anti-Lauri posts last night and today were ridiculous. I actually thought he played well for the most part.

I hate how everyone is intentionally misunderstanding the Kornet vs. Lauri thing.

Kornet is not a guy who's gonna suddenly take over when playing with hopeless G-Leaguers and borderline NBA talent like in this game. He's 100% about intelligent team basketball, and that was in very short supply. It looked like Summer League - guards pounding the ball and jacking up shots with blinders on.

I just happen to think that Kornet, while not a great individual scorer or anything, just may be the ideal combo 4/5 for this season's starting lineup. His game doesn't "take up space". He knows what he can do. Of course he's just a cog in the machine - not like Lauri, who people are expecting to become an All Star. But this season's team needs people who are smart, active and able to take what defenses give them at a given moment.

Lauri's game isn't clicking right now. If you take away his pick and pop shooting, he's been very underwhelming. Of course he'll start and play his usual minutes - the NBA is about business, egos, and marketing as well as the pure game - but I just don't understand why it's sacrilege to say that Kornet could probably match Lauri's production if he got the same amount of touches and shots. That said, it's WCJ who's in more danger of losing minutes to the UniKornet.

Markkanen needs to be held accountable, and it starts by asking why he didn't work in the offseason to improve his game. I just think it's a red flag.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#198 » by drosereturn » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:Gafford was one of the steals of the draft. GREAT pick. Kid is a gonna be very good in this league. Love his game and his attitude.

Gafford will be this year's Mitchell Robinson and a top 5 pick in a redraft.
His athleticism is like top 5% in the entire league and it shows in the stat sheet when you look at the number of steals and blocks he can produce. Defense is already above average and with a defensive minded coach, he can be elite two way player.
Guys jumper away from being a stud.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#199 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:01 am

Showtime23 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Gafford was one of the steals of the draft. GREAT pick. Kid is a gonna be very good in this league. Love his game and his attitude.

Gafford will be this year's Mitchell Robinson and a top 5 pick in a redraft.
His athleticism is like top 5% in the entire league and it shows in the stat sheet when you look at the number of steals and blocks he can produce. Defense is already above average and with a defensive minded coach, he can be elite two way player.
Guys jumper away from being a stud.

Yeah, love Gafford. Once he learns to tone down the relentless block hunting... look out.

The "he's a jumper away" thing is a bit more complicated than it sounds, though. As it is, Gafford is unplayable in many situations due to his complete lack of shooting. He needs to work extremely hard on that.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM

Post#200 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:23 am

Gafford reminds me so much of Taj Gibson. Yes he's taller but he's strong on the offensive boards, can screen and roll while catching lobs like Taj. Really good pick by the front office.

Return to Chicago Bulls