The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread 

Post#141 » by SeniorWalker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
KTM_2813 wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:0 dunks in 2 pre-szn games

I've seen a lot of comments like this over the past few years, where people express disappointment or even surprise that LeBron isn't all that athletic anymore. Genuinely not trying to be a douche here (throwing an And-1 your way as a sign of good faith), but I don't really understand the sadness. At his age, it's inevitable that LeBron will probably be playing old-man ball for the remainder of his career. Doesn't mean he won't be great, but it will just be in a different way.

I feel like every season even well into the regular season we have posts about his steep athletic decline and then when he actually starts caring he all of a sudden looks like he’s 23 again and is uncorking dunks left and right.

This has been a topic since his early Miami days. Back early in the 2014 season people thought he was done athletically, lol. I mean it’s pretty inexplicable but he does this every year.

I mean ita a fair question to ask though. Athleticism is not a thing that, when it starts declining, disappears overnight. Especially among the super elite like LeBron. If a guy is a peak athlete at 27, he may in actuality be declining at 28 but the results are so infinitesimal at that point that they can be ignored.
Decline seems to affect both peak performance and endurance and they seem (in my opinion) have two different curves. LeBron I think has been a good example of this; we saw what he looked like at 24-25 years old. Head above the rim dunks, quick enough laterally to keep up with guards, beating basically everyone down the court in transition. I think in his 30s we've definitely not seen it to that degree, even though at times we still see him go on full.court sprints and throw down some nasty jams. Those high gear moments can still be high, but the time in between those moments is increasing with age. I mean this is just a logical opinion to have because it happens to every human being and is also noticeable with LeBron now as well.

So I think most people are in anticipation of what is inevitable. I think many of us are curious about how gracefully it will happen with King James because of how high he peaked and how impressive his longevity has seemed to now. How effective will he be when the frequency of those high gear plays decreases even more? I personally dont ever expect to see a NBA LeBron that is outside the top 10-15 players but one never knows these things for certain. If LeBron makes it to 40 years old and is still a top 10-15 player, that would be an outstanding athletic achievement.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#142 » by Gooner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
KTM_2813 wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:0 dunks in 2 pre-szn games

I've seen a lot of comments like this over the past few years, where people express disappointment or even surprise that LeBron isn't all that athletic anymore. Genuinely not trying to be a douche here (throwing an And-1 your way as a sign of good faith), but I don't really understand the sadness. At his age, it's inevitable that LeBron will probably be playing old-man ball for the remainder of his career. Doesn't mean he won't be great, but it will just be in a different way.

I feel like every season even well into the regular season we have posts about his steep athletic decline and then when he actually starts caring he all of a sudden looks like he’s 23 again and is uncorking dunks left and right.

This has been a topic since his early Miami days. Back early in the 2014 season people thought he was done athletically, lol. I mean it’s pretty inexplicable but he does this every year.

Well, he is a human being, so decline is inevitable. He was 29-30 in 2014, that was premature, but now is the time when serious decline happens. Signs are already there, for those who want to see it. He got blocked by Hezonja at the buzzer for example, facing him straight up. Biggest sign of decline though is his complete lack of defense.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#143 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:54 pm

I didn't see the pre-season games (never do), but this is no surprise. Happens every year. He's just older now, so his motor isn't the same. He has to pick his moments to be on top shape. We'll never see the 06-13 LeBron anymore, that type of motor just isn't there anymore. He'll have great periods in the season tough, maybe we'll see him doing pretty well in february or march.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,442

Post#144 » by toodles23 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:37 am

Elgee video on Lebron's passing.

limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#145 » by limbo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Anybody watching the game?

Mid 3rd quarter right now, Lakers struggling offensively.

LeBron 2-7 in 12 minutes
AD 2-7 in 12 minutes (sprained thumb, out for the rest of the game apparently)
Green 1-4
Bradley 2-6
Caruso 1-9 (lol)

And the almighty Rajon Rondo with 0 points (0-2, both 3pt attempts), 0 assists and 4 turnovers in 16 minutes. Future Hall of Famer btw.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#146 » by ardee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:I didn't see the pre-season games (never do), but this is no surprise. Happens every year. He's just older now, so his motor isn't the same. He has to pick his moments to be on top shape. We'll never see the 06-13 LeBron anymore, that type of motor just isn't there anymore. He'll have great periods in the season tough, maybe we'll see him doing pretty well in february or march.
Which is fine, because 17 and 18 LeBron were the best versions lol.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,772

Post#147 » by IG2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:41 pm

LeBron and AD only played the 1st qtr and that's all I saw. Lakers didn't seem to have any rhythm on offense. And starting Rondo certainly doesn't help.

LeBron still cannot jump. Like, at all. He was missing gimmes and getting visibly frustrated. Looks good off the dribble though. Let's see how he looks in a couple of weeks when season starts.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#148 » by SideshowBob » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:01 pm

IG2 wrote:LeBron and AD only played the 1st qtr and that's all I saw. Lakers didn't seem to have any rhythm on offense. And starting Rondo certainly doesn't help.

LeBron still cannot jump. Like, at all. He was miss gimmes and getting visibly frustrated. Looks good off the dribble though. Let's see how he looks in a couple of weeks when season starts.

Couldn't jump in the beginning of the 17-18 season either, but looked pretty insane by mid-late season. I'm just happy the quickness seems to be there.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#149 » by nzahir » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:18 pm

AD might miss be out for a month with sprained thumb.

How **** unlucky has Lebron been
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#150 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 pm

nzahir wrote:AD might miss be out for a month with sprained thumb.

Read on Twitter
:reporter:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#151 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:33 pm

an injury prone player getting injured is not 'unlucky', that's just what you're getting
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,952

Post#152 » by thebigbird » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:00 am

SideshowBob wrote:
IG2 wrote:LeBron and AD only played the 1st qtr and that's all I saw. Lakers didn't seem to have any rhythm on offense. And starting Rondo certainly doesn't help.

LeBron still cannot jump. Like, at all. He was miss gimmes and getting visibly frustrated. Looks good off the dribble though. Let's see how he looks in a couple of weeks when season starts.

Couldn't jump in the beginning of the 17-18 season either, but looked pretty insane by mid-late season. I'm just happy the quickness seems to be there.

Yeah, the lack of quickness would be more concerning to me. He should get his legs underneath him after a few weeks. Christmas day was the last time he was playing competitive basketball while healthy. A little rust should be expected.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,488

Post#153 » by Jazz9 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:45 am

People really shouldn't expect LeBron to be that athletic freak anymore.
To me his last year with the Cavs was the last of his (extended) prime.

He's not that player anymore.
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#154 » by _Game7_ » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:16 am

Just get into the playoffs, everything will take care of itself from there.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,688

Post#155 » by NbaAllDay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:

an injury prone player getting injured is not 'unlucky', that's just what you're getting

Although it's the start of the season so it's nothing drastic, Lebron has had his all star level team mates miss pretty significant time and at particularly crucial times as well. I think him being Iron man makes it look even worse on the others.

Either way I feel he has been more on the 'unlucky' side when it comes to injuries to his teammates especially from Miami onwards.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#156 » by nzahir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:24 pm

NbaAllDay wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Although it's the start of the season so it's nothing drastic, Lebron has had his all star level team mates miss pretty significant time and at particularly crucial times as well. I think him being Iron man makes it look even worse on the others.

Either way I feel he has been more on the 'unlucky' side when it comes to injuries to his teammates especially from Miami onwards.

Love and Kyrie injuries cost him a damn ring in 2015

Pre Miami did it really even matter? Teams were so bad anyways
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#157 » by SeniorWalker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 pm

nzahir wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Its a little 'strong' to say all of LeBron's pre Miami teams were bad. I certainly agree they were not very talented offensively, LeBron absolutely carried their offense. But some of those pre-Miami teams did play outstanding defense and great defense is certainly a team effort particularly when the star player himself is not yet a great defender (LeBron was not a great defender before 2009).
I only say this because if his teams were not good defensive teams, they probably dont get near 60 wins at all and maybe struggle to make it out of the first round. We pretty much dont ever see teams that are bad both offensively and defensively make it very far. It's a little strong to call a great defensive team a bad team. That'd be like calling the 2011 bulls a bad team. Yes they were offensively challenged but they played outstanding team defense and were still clearly a better unit than most of the league except the Heat and maybe Dallas.

As for the current LeBron I havent seen him play yet outside of a few highlights. I expect a continued physical decline but if he plays smart and Davis is healthy it may not matter quite yet.

Hope Davis can stay healthy because if he cant that's where the real problems will begin.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
nzahir
RealGM

Post#158 » by nzahir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:37 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:
nzahir wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:

Its a little 'strong' to say all of LeBron's pre Miami teams were bad. I certainly agree they were not very talented offensively, LeBron absolutely carried their offense. But some of those pre-Miami teams did play outstanding defense and great defense is certainly a team effort particularly when the star player himself is not yet a great defender (LeBron was not a great defender before 2009).
I only say this because if his teams were not good defensive teams, they probably dont get near 60 wins at all and maybe struggle to make it out of the first round. We pretty much dont ever see teams that are bad both offensively and defensively make it very far. It's a little strong to call a great defensive team a bad team. That'd be like calling the 2011 bulls a bad team. Yes they were offensively challenged but they played outstanding team defense and were still clearly a better unit than most of the league except the Heat and maybe Dallas.

As for the current LeBron I havent seen him play yet outside of a few highlights. I expect a continued physical decline but if he plays smart and Davis is healthy it may not matter quite yet.

Hope Davis can stay healthy because if he cant that's where the real problems will begin.

Lebron was 2nd in dpoy voting in 2008-2009 season when they started to win a lot

Bulls team had boozer, deng and noah(great passing big) vs mo will, Delonte west and big z
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant

Post#159 » by SeniorWalker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:56 pm

nzahir wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:
nzahir wrote:Love and Kyrie injuries cost him a damn ring in 2015

Lebron was 2nd in dpoy voting in 2008-2009 season when they started to win a lot

Bulls team had boozer, deng and noah(great passing big) vs mo will, Delonte west and big z

I agreed about 09. I remember that being a year that he leaped in recognition of his defensive efforts. I dont say 2008 because most of the season is played in the following year.

I said before that he was not. You might recall he had some contending teams before 2009.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#160 » by JVL » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:19 pm

Ah yes, it’s the customary preseason “Lebron is done” discussion.

Return to Player Comparisons