Image ImageImage Image

Bulls @ Pacers: Preseason Game #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Re: Bulls @ Pacers: Preseason Game #3 

Post#221 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Kornet came back down to earth tonight after a great showing last night. I really hope all this talk about him being better than Lauri gets put to rest, because it's just nonsense. That said, I like Kornet and glad he's on the team. I thought some of the anti-Lauri posts last night and today were ridiculous. I actually thought he played well for the most part.

I hate how everyone is intentionally misunderstanding the Kornet vs. Lauri thing.

Kornet is not a guy who's gonna suddenly take over when playing with hopeless G-Leaguers and borderline NBA talent like in this game. He's 100% about intelligent team basketball, and that was in very short supply. It looked like Summer League - guards pounding the ball and jacking up shots with blinders on.

I just happen to think that Kornet, while not a great individual scorer or anything, just may be the ideal combo 4/5 for this season's starting lineup. His game doesn't "take up space". He knows what he can do. Of course he's just a cog in the machine - not like Lauri, who people are expecting to become an All Star. But this season's team needs people who are smart, active and able to take what defenses give them at a given moment.

Lauri's game isn't clicking right now. If you take away his pick and pop shooting, he's been very underwhelming. Of course he'll start and play his usual minutes - the NBA is about business, egos, and marketing as well as the pure game - but I just don't understand why it's sacrilege to say that Kornet could probably match Lauri's production if he got the same amount of touches and shots. That said, it's WCJ who's in more danger of losing minutes to the UniKornet.

Markkanen needs to be held accountable, and it starts by asking why he didn't work in the offseason to improve his game. I just think it's a red flag.

It's a red flag you've pulled out of your anus.

Stay classy!

It's been 3 pre-season games of which he's played two and you're making this sweeping statement, premature doesn't even begin to describe this hot take.

The difference between you and me is that I do have a small preseason sample of Lauri playing with the exact same flaws as last season. You, on the other hand, don't have any evidence of the contrary, just wishful thinking.

The season starts in 10 days. What we're seeing now is what we're gonna get.
Ebo21
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#222 » by Ebo21 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:Bulls might have a taller Dame and CJ thing later down the road if Coby White pick works out.

Only issue for is both won't be in their primes at the same time. But that might be okay. Coby feels like a gym rat.

Coby White is the insurance plan if Markkanen can’t become a consistent #2 Option.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#223 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 pm

SubZero is going to be the leader of the second unit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Coby he has a Ben Gordon type rookie year where he just takes over and wins a few games for us. I certainly think he will drop a few 30pt games off the bench.

I say this because when you figure the backups are going to be Young, Kornet, Valentine, Dunn and Coby, he is by far the best offensive option. The ball will probably be in his hands a lot. And we will need him to score.

When he plays with the starters over the course of the game. he can have the same energy but with more complimentary players. Coby really is the one guy that fits well with the bench or the starters.
The Cult of Personality
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#224 » by BigUps » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:44 pm

DuckIII wrote:Coby is a combo guard. But a combo guard works fine with Lavine. He’s a good fit in Chicago.

One thing I like about White is how he uses his body. Probably won’t happen as a rook, but in time Coby is going to shoot a lot of free throws.

Warming up to him more?

Kid looks solid as hell. The playmaking will come as the game slows down. He’s not going to be Stockton, but he can be a solid playmaker. He just needs to play more and in a consistent rotation.

I see a lot of Derrick Rose in his game.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,313

Post#225 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Showtime23 wrote:Dunn and Coby are not pg. I swear they think they watched Kobes mixtape all day and looking to score 30, 40 points.
I will never trust them as floor generals.
Cool. That's not Coby's role

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Minalt
Analyst
And1: 1,140

Post#226 » by Minalt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Ice Man wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:It’s funny how National media are calling Coby a baller but it’s people on this board are the ones that bitch the most.

One poster is down on Coby. One.

I am not "down" on him, but I need to see more. Shot still looks a bit forced and I can't imagine him ever finishing well around the rim. If teams come in with a plan to not foul him around the rim and just play strong & tall defense, then he could have a hard time. Of course, not fouling will make it easier to make the shot too.... Not sure need to see more. Very hopeful.

EDIT: To elobarate on this... I know he is 6'5, but he looks small out there for some reason. Maybe it is his wing span which is listed as 6'4 on some sites.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#227 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:51 pm

BigUps wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Coby is a combo guard. But a combo guard works fine with Lavine. He’s a good fit in Chicago.

One thing I like about White is how he uses his body. Probably won’t happen as a rook, but in time Coby is going to shoot a lot of free throws.

Warming up to him more?

Kid looks solid as hell. The playmaking will come as the game slows down. He’s not going to be Stockton, but he can be a solid playmaker. He just needs to play more and in a consistent rotation.

I see a little Rose in his game not a lot. Rose was elite at controlling his body in the air and that is what made him so special. Coby is not that guy. He has that great foot speed and can throw up a tricky shot for sure, but I can’t see him ever at Rose level of that. That’s not a knock on white just how special Rose was before he got hurt.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#228 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
BigUps wrote:

Warming up to him more?

I see a little Rose in his game not a lot. Rose was elite at controlling his body in the air and that is what made him so special. Coby is not that guy. He has that great foot speed and can throw up a tricky shot for sure, but I can’t see him ever at Rose level of that. That’s not a knock on white just how special Rose was before he got hurt.

Not to mention that young Rose was one of the most explosive NBA athletes of all time.

White is not even a great athlete on NBA standards.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#229 » by waffle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:08 pm

I am less worried about him being able to learn to play the 1 than I am about his ability to actually score in this men's league. Sure as heck looks like he'll be able to score and I am fairly confident that, as called on and as coached, he'll be able to learn to play the 1 when called on

I see nothing that worries me greatly and much that intrigues me
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#230 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:25 pm

The other day I was reading somewhere a comment from Lavine saying, Coby White is having the best training camp that he has seen from a rookie in his six years in the NBA. That says a lot considering Lavine had training camp with Karl Anthony Towns.
econprof
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#231 » by econprof » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:29 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
There’s not much difference at all between Portis/Jabari/Blakeney and the current fluff. Felicio, Valentine and Dunn are overpaid busts; the latter two should’ve been drafted in the 2nd rd. I’m annoyed that 3 guaranteed roster spots are still wasted on them.

There is a big difference. Portis, Jabari (and Blakeney by the end of the year) were all heavy minute rotation players and frequent starters. The current team has more depth (though still not enough), and Felicio, Valentine and Dunn will not see nearly as much PT, if any.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#232 » by VolumePoster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Thus far Coby is exactly as billed: a score first combo guard with verticality limitations, but who can push pace and break down his man off the dribble. The importance of the latter cannot be understated. Zach is the only one on the team who can do that consistently.

He’s a great fit off the bench. I’m really happy with him so far.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#233 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:58 pm

VolumePoster wrote:Thus far Coby is exactly as billed: a score first combo guard with verticality limitations, but who can push pace and break down his man off the dribble. The importance of the latter cannot be understated. Zach is the only one on the team who can do that consistently.

A Jamal Crawford career is not bad.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#234 » by sco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
VolumePoster wrote:Thus far Coby is exactly as billed: a score first combo guard with verticality limitations, but who can push pace and break down his man off the dribble. The importance of the latter cannot be understated. Zach is the only one on the team who can do that consistently.

I can see Zach and Coby co-existing in the backcourt with certain defensive-heavy line-ups like Hutch, Thad, WCj or Gafford.

I think our bench is defense-heavy and whatever position you call Coby, he's going to need to be the primary scorer. While you could say that Luke or Valentine are shooters, they aren't scorers.
:clap:
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#235 » by wonderboy2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:15 pm

sco wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

I can see Zach and Coby co-existing in the backcourt with certain defensive-heavy line-ups like Hutch, Thad, WCj or Gafford.

I think our bench is defense-heavy and whatever position you call Coby, he's going to need to be the primary scorer. While you could say that Luke or Valentine are shooters, they aren't scorers.

The crazy thing is people are so worried that his shooting has been inefficient that people are overlooking the defense he has been playing. His defense has been very solid for a 19 year pg. He moves laterally very well and actually tries on that end. He can definitely be a plus on that end if he continues to develop.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#236 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:The crazy thing is people are so worried that his shooting has been inefficient that people are overlooking the defense he has been playing. His defense has been very solid for a 19 year pg. He moves laterally very well and actually tries on that end. He can definitely be a plus on that end if he continues to develop.

He's a mix of Chauncey Billups and Arenas imo.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#237 » by Chi town » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:52 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:The crazy thing is people are so worried that his shooting has been inefficient that people are overlooking the defense he has been playing. His defense has been very solid for a 19 year pg. He moves laterally very well and actually tries on that end. He can definitely be a plus on that end if he continues to develop.

He's a mix of Chauncey Billups and Arenas imo.

Jamal Murray
High level
Analyst
And1: 595

Post#238 » by High level » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 pm

GhostOfChicago wrote:
High level wrote:Damn Val with just 3 points and played 26 mins as starter in preseason. Not a good sign.

I'm worried about the wings behind LaVine and OPJ. Wish the team could acquire someone like Belinelli or E'Twaun Moore. Both would provide some scoring and especially shooting to the bench.

Hopefully Val can turn it up and he's just knocking off rust but tbh he was never proven as a reliable backup wing that can consistently produce night in night out but his iq and shooting ability gives him the potential.
Finfro
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#239 » by Finfro » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:17 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I say this because when you figure the backups are going to be Young, Kornet, Valentine, Dunn and Coby, he is by far the best offensive option. The ball will probably be in his hands a lot. And we will need him to score.

Replace Dunn with Arci and I agree. I can't believe how underrated Arci still is on this forum. He has clearly shown that he belongs in the NBA.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#240 » by transplant » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Thank you.

I was very impressed with White's defense. He consistently kept his defensive assignment within reach while he was seeing the whole floor. This is the only way you can effectively provide NBA help defense which he did. For a rookie offensive wunderkind to instinctively show this ability is all kinds of encouraging.

I wasn't thrilled with the Bulls picking him, but I'm becoming a big fan.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan

Return to Chicago Bulls