Image ImageImage Image

Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more 

Post#1 » by sco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Can anybody make a real argument that he isn't the 2nd best PG on the team?

He is a 25 year-old crafty veteran. There are some guys in the NBA who weren't high picks, who aren't huge athletic freaks, but you look back after they've been in the league 10 years and say, "darn, why didn't we just play this guy more?". Arci is one of those guys. If we want to win, Arci needs to be our back-up PG. He can ball handle, pass, not turn the ball over, shoot 3's, shot in the paint, defend. IMO, he keeps getting better, and is now better than vintage Kirk.
:clap:
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Re: Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more 

Post#2 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Only reason Ryan played is because starting PG was China quality bound PG. Lucky for us we signed 2 BETTER players. One from North Carolina and one from Czech Republic
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Re: Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more 

Post#3 » by Evil_Headband » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Ryan likely will wind up with plenty of minutes. Maybe not at first but with injuries and disappointments, he'll get in there. We'll see a lot of three guard lineups too which should help.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#4 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:58 pm

I think he is going to play. Go 10 deep with Arch, White, Valentine, Young, and Kornet off the bench. I'm sure some starters will be mixed in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,334

Post#5 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I think he is going to play. Go 10 deep with Arch, White, Valentine, Young, and Kornet off the bench. I'm sure some starters will be mixed in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's how I see it also, with one exception - Hutch in that spot instead of Valentine.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#6 » by gardenofsound » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Guards - Lavine 32, Satoransky 24, White 24, Arcidiacono 8, Dunn 8
Forwards - OPJ 32, Markkanen 26, Hutchison 20, Valentine 16, Satoransky 4
Centers - Carter 30, Markkanen 6, Kornet 8, Gafford 6

Total minutes breakdown:
Lavine - 32
Markkanen - 32
Porter Jr - 32
Carter Jr - 30
Satoransky - 28
White - 24
Hutchison - 20
Valentine - 16
Kornet - 8
Arcidiacono - 8
Dunn - 8
Gafford - 4

I think this is going to be a pretty important year for WCJ. With Kornet and Gafford behind him on the depth chart, they're both young guys trying to prove they're worthy at this level. If they show out and Carter doesn't show a marked improvement from last year, he could start to lose playing time.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#7 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Only reason Ryan played is because starting PG was China quality bound PG. Lucky for us we signed 2 BETTER players. One from North Carolina and one from Czech Republic

As a point guard, Arci is so far ahead of White that it's not funny.

Sato and Arci should pretty much handle the PG duties between them this season. I don't think Coby needs to have a fixed role yet. Let him experiment with various things, as long as it doesn't hurt the team.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#8 » by Proven_Winner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:05 pm

I will say I’m surprised by arci. Always thought he was a bum just getting lucky but he actually is a decent bench piece. I at least feel safe when the ball is in his hands. If I imagine coby as more of a SG arci is definitely 2nd best to Sato. Dunn’s defense doesn’t make up for arci’s shooting, passing, and IQ.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#9 » by MrSparkle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Arci is a good 3rd stringer. If he were to increase his volume of 3Ps and still make around 38% he’d be a legit top-50 PG, but until then... he’s a stop-gap. High IQ and runs an offense well but not physically gifted enough to be more than a net neutral.

I guess in many ways this team’s long-term goal is getting these young auxiliary guys up to net neutral. My philosophy is get the highest ceiling core and then spend vet min, mle and trade “fool’s gold” for effective vets (in past years, guys like Lou W, PJ Tucker, Ariza, etc. went for late 1sts, Oubres, etc.). You just dump a Dunn or Valentine for the less glamorous role-player vet, get him excited to do his job on a winning team. I don’t see the point of growing this 10 player farm and then overpaying them in their development years and later losing them in bad trades for new farm gambles (ie Cam Payne).

I will say I appreciate that Arci makes quick decisions with the ball, not afraid to dribble with the off-hand, make a clean 1-hand pass. If Kirk had Arci’s handles and passing skills, he would’ve been the all-star we expected after his exciting first 2 seasons. Pretty different players actually.

Arci is pretty cheap so it’s all good, and seems a good sport, but we’ve got to be kidding ourselves if he’s the guy we kick ourselves over not playing more. In place of Dunn? Sure. But Coby and Sato should be getting all the pg min. Arci in the emergency that neither those 2 can bring the ball up and make a play for the big men.
sco
RealGM

Post#10 » by sco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Arci is a good 3rd stringer. If he were to increase his volume of 3Ps and still make around 38% he’d be a legit top-50 PG, but until then... he’s a stop-gap. High IQ and runs an offense well but not physically gifted enough to be more than a net neutral.

I guess in many ways this team’s long-term goal is getting these young auxiliary guys up to net neutral. My philosophy is get the highest ceiling core and then spend vet min, mle and trade “fool’s gold” for effective vets (in past years, guys like Lou W, PJ Tucker, Ariza, etc. went for late 1sts, Oubres, etc.). You just dump a Dunn or Valentine for the less glamorous role-player vet, get him excited to do his job on a winning team. I don’t see the point of growing this 10 player farm and then overpaying them in their development years and later losing them in bad trades for new farm gambles (ie Cam Payne).

I will say I appreciate that Arci makes quick decisions with the ball, not afraid to dribble with the off-hand, make a clean 1-hand pass. If Kirk had Arci’s handles and passing skills, he would’ve been the all-star we expected after his exciting first 2 seasons. Pretty different players actually.

Arci is pretty cheap so it’s all good, and seems a good sport, but we’ve got to be kidding ourselves if he’s the guy we kick ourselves over not playing more. In place of Dunn? Sure. But Coby and Sato should be getting all the pg min. Arci in the emergency that neither those 2 can bring the ball up and make a play for the big men.

I agree the Coby/Arci discussion is real. The problem, IMO, is that we don't have a good SG and, right now, Coby might be our best option there.

You could say, yeah, we can just slide Sato over to play SG, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Sato wouldn't still be functioning as the PG in that situation, with the only difference being that he would likely defend the SG.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#11 » by HoopsterJones » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Arci is decent in a limited role. He has a sneaky way and getting to the basket like TJ McConnell. That being said, I don’t see him being much more than a 3rd string PG.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#12 » by LateNight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Archie rules. Looks like Archie and Gaff are low-key some of our best people now
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#13 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm

He grew on me. I didnt like him at all at the beginning but im liking him more and more. He has some skills, passion and heart. He, Shaq and Coby should be backup backcourt behind Lavine and Sato.

Lets just move on from Dunn and Val in the backcourt, unless Val can play decent SF role.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#14 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 pm

I think Arci will play plenty. Imo, the Sato, Arci and Coby will all get mintues in the backcourt (with Sato and Arci getting bulk of their mintues at PG).

As for Dunn, I think he might become useful as a backup wing behind Otto considering how weak our depth is there.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#15 » by ZOMG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Arci is a good 3rd stringer. If he were to increase his volume of 3Ps and still make around 38% he’d be a legit top-50 PG, but until then... he’s a stop-gap. High IQ and runs an offense well but not physically gifted enough to be more than a net neutral.

Arci is pretty cheap so it’s all good, and seems a good sport, but we’ve got to be kidding ourselves if he’s the guy we kick ourselves over not playing more. In place of Dunn? Sure. But Coby and Sato should be getting all the pg min.
Arci in the emergency that neither those 2 can bring the ball up and make a play for the big men.

White is clearly not an NBA point guard. He can occasionally moonlight at the 1 but there's no way we're relying on him to run the team in a season where winning is the goal.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#16 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:50 pm

ZOMG wrote:
White is clearly not an NBA point guard. He can occasionally moonlight at the 1 but there's no way we're relying on him to run the team in a season where winning is the goal.

We dont need NBA point guard. We need guys who can shoot the ball, have size, athleticism and can defend, space the floor. As long they are willing passers. Point guard, combo guard, grandma guard, papa guard call it whatever you want. I want those. White can do that
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#17 » by Proven_Winner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:39 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:I think Arci will play plenty. Imo, the Sato, Arci and Coby will all get mintues in the backcourt (with Sato and Arci getting bulk of their mintues at PG).

As for Dunn, I think he might become useful as a backup wing behind Otto considering how weak our depth is there.

I don’t know with Dunn he feels like a liability out on offense. Shaq arguably could replace him and do better. He’s more of a tough defender and he at least knows how to cut and has a tighter handle. I think it’s bad enough we’re forcing Val to play SF but Dunn I feel doesn’t give enough to justify him playing SF and arguably SG behind Otto and Zach.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#18 » by CoreyVillains » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 pm

sco wrote:Can anybody make a real argument that he isn't the 2nd best PG on the team?

He is a 25 year-old crafty veteran. There are some guys in the NBA who weren't high picks, who aren't huge athletic freaks, but you look back after they've been in the league 10 years and say, "darn, why didn't we just play this guy more?". Arci is one of those guys. If we want to win, Arci needs to be our back-up PG. He can ball handle, pass, not turn the ball over, shoot 3's, shot in the paint, defend. IMO, he keeps getting better, and is now better than vintage Kirk.

I like Arch a lot and support him having a role on this team, but we really can’t get carried away. I mean better than vintage Kirk? I know the world we live is very much what have you done for me lately, but Kirk was a very good point guard in the league and was a legit great defender. If Archi could give us what vintage Kirk did, he shouldn’t be the backup, he should be the starter.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#19 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Wait... Coby white seems to have a knack for scoring and getting open with his quickness. Hes better then i thought hed be on offense. Hes clearly our spark plug or microwave scorer. Just needs to get teammates involved more. Archie is getting good. I think he'll get his chance. And sato is decent to. Im still not high on him like others in here. Hes still a 2nd string pg. I still would start dunn. He has the most experience with zach and lauri. He doesnt get in the way and we need defense more then 3pt shooting in the starting 5.

The nobody has the heart to say it but kris dunn is still the best overall pg we have. Yall judging him off his flaws. He good at assists. And can score if necessary. I like his ability to play the passing lanes and pick pocket guards. But once coby is ready hes going to be a big piece.

But on arcie. Hes not going to ever be a starter. All this praise is off a preseason game where nobody is engaged on defense. He can shoot and drive but like last season he does it for 2 games and not seen again for months. Hes hurting his owm value. Like ppl say dunn had his chance, well hes had his to last season in absence of dunn. He struggled alot. Dont act like hes some great hidden secret. Hes a known comodity to. He needs to do his thing more than once or twice then going back to mediocre
sco
RealGM

Post#20 » by sco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
sco wrote:Can anybody make a real argument that he isn't the 2nd best PG on the team?

I like Arch a lot and support him having a role on this team, but we really can’t get carried away. I mean better than vintage Kirk? I know the world we live is very much what have you done for me lately, but Kirk was a very good point guard in the league and was a legit great defender. If Archi could give us what vintage Kirk did, he shouldn’t be the backup, he should be the starter.

IMO, Kirk wasn't a great PG during his time with the Bulls. He was a great defender, who developed into a decent 3pt shooter, he was good at not turning the ball over, but he would dribble the air out of the ball and hand it off to a guy away from the hoop who didn't have an open shot - so there's some context for my statement.

Return to Chicago Bulls