The 2019-2020 Zion Williamson thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Re: The 2019-2020 Zion Williamson thread 

Post#41 » by NinjaSheppard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:03 am

Questioning Zion's superstardom at this point is like being that dude who called KD a 6'11 Jamal Crawford
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#42 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:47 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:Questioning Zion's superstardom at this point is like being that dude who called KD a 6'11 Jamal Crawford

Damn! Memories.

Already has as many 3’s as Simmons
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:56 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:Questioning Zion's superstardom at this point is like being that dude who called KD a 6'11 Jamal Crawford

i'm not sure how anyone can at this point, i really don't

21/25 last 2 games

mini Shaq
O_6
Rookie
And1: 1,507

Post#44 » by O_6 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 am

Ok, so I’ve been sold on Zion since midway through his Freshman year at Duke. But the one thing I did wonder is if he could finish in the paint against NBA caliber rim protectors who have a significant length advantage against him. I specifically wondered how he’d do against Gobert/Embiid.

The play at 30 seconds in the highlight vid below has answered even that final question for me. He gets the ball and simply goes over and THROUGH Rudy Gobert, the premier rim protector in the league. This wasn’t a case of him catching Rudy Gobert in a weird spot, Gobert has two feet planted firmly at the rim and time to gather for a jump while Zion doesn’t even dribble after catching the ball. Zion just bodies him for a tough finish that he makes look easy.

This kind of explosion, power, and touch is just special. I don’t know what his ceiling is, but his floor is very high if he can already do things like this to the DPOY (who has a 7’9” wingspan at 250+ lbs) as a teenager.

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#45 » by scrabbarista » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:18 am

22 pts 4 asts for NAW in 16 minutes and +9.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,670

Post#46 » by homecourtloss » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 am

His efficiency and scoring in these last two games have been much like what they were in college and he’s scoring the same way he did in college, I.e., around the basket, around the rim, in the paint, muscle moves, occasional quick first step displayed. That’s pretty crazy.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
clyde21
RealGM

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:16 am

scrabbarista wrote:22 pts 4 asts for NAW in 16 minutes and +9.

Zion Williamson
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Jaxson Hayes

this could be a legendary draft for the Pels possibly
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#48 » by scrabbarista » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:37 am

clyde21 wrote:

Zion Williamson
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Jaxson Hayes

Hayes played like a pansy (the flower, not the slang usage meaning effeminate or homosexual man) tonight, other than one impressive block that he seemed to make almost by accident because he's so unbelievably athletic. He could still boom or bust. Zion and Alexander-Walker are clearly legit, though. NAW is so... I keep wanting to use the word "rubbery." It's kind of similar to a trait Kyrie has. Like, he just seems like 90% of his body can be totally off balance and he can still keep the ball on balance. He's not as quick or shifty as Kyrie, but he has some of that particular quality. He's so poised and skilled. And I just love his mental approach and how he seems to know the balance between getting his and keeping others involved. He's been really fun to watch through summer league and preseason. I never watched him in college or high school.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 am

scrabbarista wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Zion Williamson
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Jaxson Hayes

Hayes played like a pansy (the flower, not the slang usage meaning effeminate or homosexual man) tonight, other than one impressive block that he seemed to make almost by accident because he's so unbelievably athletic. He could still boom or bust. Zion and Alexander-Walker are clearly legit, though. NAW is so... I keep wanting to use the word "rubbery." It's kind of similar to a trait Kyrie has. Like, he just seems like 90% of his body can be totally off balance and he can still keep the ball on balance. He's not as quick or shifty as Kyrie, but he has some of that particular quality. He's so poised and skilled. And I just love his mental approach and how he seems to know the balance between getting his and keeping others involved. He's been really fun to watch through summer league and preseason. I never watched him in college or high school.

I feel the same way about NAW. I have such a small sample size of him right now, but I’m waiting for him to have an unimpressive outing.

Hayes needs strength badly. He’s a late grower and his dad was an NFL tight end, and is now a strength and conditioning coach, so all the ingredients are there :D

Zion looks like a dominant player right out of the gate. Both sides are admittedly not going full speed on defense and rebounding for preseason, but he’s the strongest guy on the court by an excessive amount, and he’s still a teen.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,914

Post#50 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 am

clyde21 wrote:

21/25 last 2 games

mini Shaq

I think it needs to be noted that:

1) players don't want to hurt each other in preseason and don't defend interior very hard.

2) most players go at half speed in preseason, rookies tend to play hard.

I think people may look pretty silly if they are predicting a superstar from preseason.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#51 » by Gooner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:28 am

clyde21 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:His body control and handle in combination with his size and athleticism is remarkable. It's why I can't fathom how anyone who watches basketball can look at him as just some raw , unskilled athlete.

He is only 6'6''.

okay? Bron is 6-7 what's your point?

LeBron is legit 6'8''. It's impressive what Zion does with his weight, but when you consider he is 6'6'', his handle isn't all that great at all. You better have a decent handle at that height.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Gooner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 am

clyde21 wrote:

21/25 last 2 games

mini Shaq

Oh, he will be a superstar, no doubt about it. Today's game with a lack of contact by the defense, and lack of calls on a offensive player, is tailor-made for him. He is the new face of the NBA, so there is nothing to worry about there.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#53 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 am

Gooner wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
He is only 6'6''.

LeBron is legit 6'8''. It's impressive what Zion does with his weight, but when you consider he is 6'6'', his handle isn't all that great at all. You better have a decent handle at that height.

LeBron measured 6-7 without shoes, Zion measured 6-6 without shoes

and what do you think Zion can't do with his handle exaclty?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 am

zimpy27 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

21/25 last 2 games

mini Shaq

I think it needs to be noted that:

1) players don't want to hurt each other in preseason and don't defend interior very hard.

2) most players go at half speed in preseason, rookies tend to play hard.

I think people may look pretty silly if they are predicting a superstar from preseason.

i predicted superstar wayyyy before the preseason, even before Duke, has nothing to do with what he's doing in the preseason
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Gooner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:38 am

clyde21 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

There aren't any official measurements for LeBron. He looks about 2 inches taller than Zion to me. But anyway, Zion's handle is good for a power forward, but he is not gonna blow anyone away with it. His game will be all about bully ball.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:53 am

Gooner wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

There aren't any official measurements for LeBron. He looks about 2 inches taller than Zion to me. But anyway, Zion's handle is good for a power forward, but he is not gonna blow anyone away with it. His game will be all about bully ball.

Lebron was 6’7 at the combine. If you want to use shoe height for him, and barefoot for Zion to make your point, just say so.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#57 » by limbo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:14 am

Was impressed by how he attacked Gobert and Ed Davis today. Dude just goes through people, goes to the body, bounces you away and still has enough strength to finish. It's one thing to do this in college, another to do it vs arguably the best interior defense in the World.
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#58 » by 90sAllDecade » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I was sold after watching live games and film early in his college season.

He'll be one of those players where you know what he's going to do but you can't stop it like Shaq.

That kind of player in any sport, once fully developed can demoralize and mentally break other players or teams.

His skill set and versatility will develop for both sides of the ball, but his dominance at what he does will make him scary and give him ATG potental.

That being said he has a long way to go and he very much has to prove it with his play and results, preseason stardom doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. But it's very exciting to watch.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#59 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:21 pm

limbo wrote:Was impressed by how he attacked Gobert and Ed Davis today. Dude just goes through people, goes to the body, bounces you away and still has enough strength to finish. It's one thing to do this in college, another to do it vs arguably the best interior defense in the World.

The most impressive play by him all preseason was his first shot against Gobert. He got the dump off pass inside the paint from Ingram, with no momentum, takes one step and challenges Gobert and scores.
(0:30 second mark)

That is basically worst case scenario for him. Going up against the best defender in the game with just one step to explode. Didn't effect him. If he can do that against Gobert, he can do that against anyone.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#60 » by Buckets22 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

I'm usually hard to get on the hype train...but Zion is the real deal.
I haven't seen a single NBA rookie forward/guard finishing like this under contact in the paint, LeBron wasn't on this level when he first came in for sure.. In 2-3 years Zion would be a beast, hope his organization can build good support cast so he can get the rings going without the need of ring chasing.
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:

Return to Player Comparisons