Phoenix hit 24 3 pointers in preseason game

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Liminy
Junior
And1: 189

Phoenix hit 24 3 pointers in preseason game 

Post#1 » by Liminy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 pm

24 3 pointers is only 2 off of the all-time record and Booker didn't even play. Is there ceiling a little higher than we thought? I've got them for 33 wins. There are not going to be any easy outs in the west this year until teams start tanking. Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota, Memphis, OKC, Sacramento and now Phoenix all have competitive teams.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,671

Re: Phoenix hit 24 3 pointers in preseason game 

Post#2 » by jehosafats » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:16 pm

I expect them to win at least 35-38 games this season. Because remember they won just 19 games last season. Their core of Ayton, Saric, Oubre Jr., Rubio, Baynes, Johnson, and Booker is enough to rectify the situation.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,298

Post#3 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Cameron Johnson is going to be one of the best shooters in this league.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#4 » by Crives » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm

No Booker/Rubio/Ayton and CJ/Dame played heavy minutes..... I’m trying not to overreact... please delete the thread so we don’t cause any bad karma/luck!

Just remember most of the National media and many on this board gave the suns a F offseason grade.
BKSZN
Junior
And1: 240

Post#5 » by BKSZN » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:39 pm

I would love to see them get a little going forward
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#6 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:40 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Cameron Johnson is going to be one of the best shooters in this league.

I thought everyone was killing him and phx for selecting him that high, then I checked the draft and remembered it was PJ washington on the bobcats that everyone said was like 10 spots too high.

I don't know too much about him, I think Coby was the only legit NC guy from last year.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,564

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Cam Johnson is a legit sharp shooter (I do think they could've traded down and still got him though). Im sure there will be some nights when the team gets hot and really lights up the scoreboard. Not sure I see them reaching the 30 win mark though.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#8 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:48 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Cameron Johnson is going to be one of the best shooters in this league.

I thought everyone was killing him and phx for selecting him that high, then I checked the draft and remembered it was PJ washington on the bobcats that everyone said was like 10 spots too high.

I don't know too much about him, I think Coby was the only legit NC guy from last year.

No, a lot of people were bashing the Suns as well, Johnson went much higher than expecting, but he is an elite shooter.

Honestly the best shooter I've ever seen in my 25 years of watching North Carolina.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#9 » by Crives » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:55 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

No, a lot of people were bashing the Suns as well, Johnson went much higher than expecting, but he is an elite shooter.

Honestly the best shooter I've ever seen in my 25 years of watching North Carolina.

Statistically maybe one of the best shooting prospects in a long time. But Cam is showing he can do much more then shoot in these preseason games.

Last year of College 3pt%
Cam Johnson = .457%
Buddy Hield = .457%
Doug McDermott = .449%
Carris LeVert = .446%
Landry Shamet = .442%
Nick Stauskas = .442%
Luke Kennard = .438%
Mikal Bridges = .435%
Dylan Windler = .429%
Lauri Markkanen = .423%
Justice Winslow = .418%
Kevin Huerter = .417%
Devin Booker = .411%
Deangelo Russel = .411%
Brandon Ingram = .410%
Jamal Murray = .408%
Dario Saric =.403%
TY Jerome = .399%
Malik Monk = .397%
Trae Young = .360%
Tyler Herro = .355%
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#10 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Mighty Quinn wrote:I expect them to win at least 35-38 games this season. Because remember they won just 19 games last season. Their core of Ayton, Saric, Oubre Jr., Rubio, Baynes, Johnson, and Booker is enough to rectify the situation.

I don’t see enough defense there to make headway in a tough Western conference. They should definitely be improved but idk about anything over the ~30ish win range
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#11 » by Fo-Real » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

:o WOAH :o
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,494

Post#12 » by bisme37 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Former Celtics bust James Young had 31 points for Maccabi Haifa against the Grizzlies the other night. Not a good idea to get too high or too low over one preseason game.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#13 » by jpengland » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:11 pm

They are going to absoloutely live and die by the three.

Their defense is going to be poor so they will have to hit at a high clip to get wins.

They likely win 24 - 28 IMO. And those wins will be against anybody and will cause some upsets.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#14 » by In2ition » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:15 pm

The Suns added a lot of guys that are smart players who can shoot and pass. It seems those attributes are a bit underrated around here, but shouldn't be.

Last year the Blazers beat the Suns by 22 in preseason and have won the last 10 regular season games against them by around a 15 pt margin per. It was a definite change in things. Does this mean the Suns are better and the league will see soon enough or are the Blazers not quite as good as last year?
In2ition
Senior

Post#15 » by In2ition » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:21 pm

jpengland wrote:They are going to absoloutely live and die by the three.

Their defense is going to be poor so they will have to hit at a high clip to get wins.

They likely win 24 - 28 IMO. And those wins will be against anybody and will cause some upsets.

There defense has been much better in the preseason. Just adding a real PF to the roster along with other legitimate guys at positions will improve their rebounding, which improves their defense. Monty is much more of a no nonsense type of coach and will keep players in check.

No offense, but 24 - 28 wins is absolutely laughable. You can't have paid any type of even cursory attention to what the Suns have done in the off-season other than what the "experts" told you were LOLSUNS moments to come up with that total.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#16 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Crives wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

Statistically maybe one of the best shooting prospects in a long time. But Cam is showing he can do much more then shoot in these preseason games.

Last year of College 3pt%
Cam Johnson = .457%
Buddy Hield = .457%
Doug McDermott = .449%
Carris LeVert = .446%
Landry Shamet = .442%
Nick Stauskas = .442%
Luke Kennard = .438%
Mikal Bridges = .435%
Dylan Windler = .429%
Lauri Markkanen = .423%
Justice Winslow = .418%
Kevin Huerter = .417%
Devin Booker = .411%
Deangelo Russel = .411%
Brandon Ingram = .410%
Jamal Murray = .408%
Dario Saric =.403%
TY Jerome = .399%
Malik Monk = .397%
Trae Young = .360%
Tyler Herro = .355%

Oh yea, he isn't a pure shooter, he can definitely contribute in other ways as well.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#17 » by jpengland » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 pm

In2ition wrote:

There defense has been much better in the preseason. Just adding a real PF to the roster along with other legitimate guys at positions will improve their rebounding, which improves their defense. Monty is much more of a no nonsense type of coach and will keep players in check.

No offense, but 24 - 28 wins is absolutely laughable. You can't have paid any type of even cursory attention to what the Suns have done in the off-season other than what the "experts" told you were LOLSUNS moments to come up with that total.

Let's wait and see...
In2ition
Senior

Post#18 » by In2ition » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:43 pm

jpengland wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Let's wait and see...

I want to see your insightful analysis on this team to justify your prediction. I have a feeling you think it's the same roster with the same huge holes as last season.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#19 » by LloydFree » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Any lineup with Booker, Saric and Cam Johnson in it, better hit 20 3's per game. They're sure not going to defend anybody.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#20 » by jpengland » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:19 pm

In2ition wrote:
jpengland wrote:
In2ition wrote:There defense has been much better in the preseason. Just adding a real PF to the roster along with other legitimate guys at positions will improve their rebounding, which improves their defense. Monty is much more of a no nonsense type of coach and will keep players in check.

Let's wait and see...

I want to see your insightful analysis on this team to justify your prediction. I have a feeling you think it's the same roster with the same huge holes as last season.

Poor interior and exterior defense.

Poor penetration from the wings.

Lack of depth.

Lack of players from winning cultures.

Ayton and Booker put up numbers but I don't see that translating to wins.

Decision making is poor. Rubio helps with this but doesn't negate it.

I have no confidence that Monty Williams can coach this team to significant improvement.

Im predicting a 2 to 6 win improvement on last year.

Oh and having just checked, the over/under is 28.5 so I'm hardly out of kilter with expectations.

As i have said, we will see. But im fairly confident they don't break 30.

Return to The General Board