Image ImageImage Image

Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Re: Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more 

Post#41 » by Flopper » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:22 pm

He looks significantly better than he did last year in preseason based on the limited minutes I've seen and seems to have adjusted well to NBA speed and size. I was impressed by his driving/finishing and decisiveness with the ball in the Indiana game.

I used to be on the Kris Dunn bandwagon, but he hasn't shown much growth as a player and is still as mistake prone as he was back in 2017. It's early but I'm having a hard envisioning him getting significant minutes unless it's to boost his trade value.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,061

Re: Ryan Arcidiacono: The guy we'll kick ourselves for later not playing him more 

Post#42 » by MrSparkle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:24 pm

dice wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Arci is a good 3rd stringer. If he were to increase his volume of 3Ps and still make around 38% he’d be a legit top-50 PG, but until then... he’s a stop-gap. High IQ and runs an offense well but not physically gifted enough to be more than a net neutral.

steve nash was not physically gifted

arci is a better version of john paxson, who we remember fondly as a player because of who he played with and some opportunistic clutch shots

I don’t remember Pax the player fondly.. i remember being happy when BJ came around. :lol: But MJ obviously trusted him to defend and take clutch shots.

If Arci takes his 3P shooting to another level, then I agree a Nash lite conversation can happen. He’s decently crafty scoring around the rim and he’s got quick feet with the ball. But I’m talking about the ability to pull-up and make a 3P bomb while given a foot.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#43 » by dice » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 am

MrSparkle wrote:
dice wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Arci is a good 3rd stringer. If he were to increase his volume of 3Ps and still make around 38% he’d be a legit top-50 PG, but until then... he’s a stop-gap. High IQ and runs an offense well but not physically gifted enough to be more than a net neutral.

steve nash was not physically gifted

arci is a better version of john paxson, who we remember fondly as a player because of who he played with and some opportunistic clutch shots

I don’t remember Pax the player fondly.. i remember being happy when BJ came around. :lol: But MJ obviously trusted him to defend and take clutch shots.

If Arci takes his 3P shooting to another level, then I agree a Nash lite conversation can happen. He’s decently crafty scoring around the rim and he’s got quick feet with the ball. But I’m talking about the ability to pull-up and make a 3P bomb while given a foot.

i'm not suggesting that he'll ever be remotely nash-like, but i don't think that becoming a good nba player is such a long-shot despite his relative lack of athleticism

as for pax, he wasn't a good defender. i think he was just the consummate professional who was content to be a role player and rightfully let MJ dominate the ball offensively
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#44 » by Evil_Headband » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Interesting that Arcidiacono played over Valentine last night. I think that may be the rotation to start the season.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,179

Post#45 » by coldfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Evil_Headband wrote:Interesting that Arcidiacono played over Valentine last night. I think that may be the rotation to start the season.

IMO, he will be the primary back up PG. I think that Coby is actually going to be used as a SG. Not that it really matters. The offensive system is heavy on player movement and ball sharing. There really isn't a traditional PG needed.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#46 » by League Circles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Yeah I guess Ryan (and Shaq) have gotten much more recent votes of confidence (new contracts) than Dunn, Valentine, Hutchison (and Blakeney of course). So we really shouldn't be surprised if Ryan and even shaq are ahead of dunn, Valentine, and Hutchison.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#47 » by sco » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:18 pm

League Circles wrote:Yeah I guess Ryan (and Shaq) have gotten much more recent votes of confidence (new contracts) than Dunn, Valentine, Hutchison (and Blakeney of course). So we really shouldn't be surprised if Ryan and even shaq are ahead of dunn, Valentine, and Hutchison.

I think Hutchison still will get first shot at back-up SF minutes once healthy.
:clap:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#48 » by League Circles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:23 pm

sco wrote:
League Circles wrote:Yeah I guess Ryan (and Shaq) have gotten much more recent votes of confidence (new contracts) than Dunn, Valentine, Hutchison (and Blakeney of course). So we really shouldn't be surprised if Ryan and even shaq are ahead of dunn, Valentine, and Hutchison.

I don't really think we're going to play with defined positions like that. I guess he might get minutes when a particularly difficult defensive assignment is there like Paul George or somebody, but otherwise I think Otto, Lavine, Tomas, Coby and Arci may take virtually all of the minutes at the 1,2,3 spots.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#49 » by sco » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:32 pm

League Circles wrote:
sco wrote:

I don't really think we're going to play with defined positions like that. I guess he might get minutes when a particularly difficult defensive assignment is there like Paul George or somebody, but otherwise I think Otto, Lavine, Tomas, Coby and Arci may take virtually all of the minutes at the 1,2,3 spots.

I want you to be right, but don't think Kingpin will get creative with line-ups. Also, the Bulls try really hard to make their picks look good, rightly or wrongly.
:clap:
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,536

Post#50 » by Ice Man » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Let's see. Sato and LaVine will start. After that, the choices on merit for guard are Coby, Arch, and Shaq. That would give Arch some significant minutes. The problem is that the Bulls will continue to try to find a place for Dunn. Eventually, they'll give up, either because he is traded or because after the trade deadline there won't be any more point in forcing the issue. So that could squeeze Arch's time for non-merit reasons.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#51 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm

He's going to play. 12 MPG.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#52 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:30 pm

nomorezorro wrote:i kind of thought the arch signing might be kind of silly - that we were buying "high" on a marginal nba player, that we shouldn't discount how bad he looked in his rookie season (and how bad he shot the ball). but as long as he's a reliable 3pt shooter, i'm starting to buy the notion he's a legitimately OK rotation player. he just looks leaps and bounds more comfortable on the court than he did when he first signed here, and he's become a legit "doesn't make the wrong play" player.

still probably a pretty modest ceiling there, but i would probably agree he's the second best pg on the roster right now

Yep.

Arcidiacono doesn't do anything more than what he's good at: Play defense, play hard, hit open shots, move the ball to better players, and limit mistakes. If you can get that for 15 minutes from your backup PG, then it's fine. It's no surprise he made lineups better.

Overall, the Bulls did a great job of retaining and adding smart and selfless basketball players. It's going to be a noticeable upgrade over playing Dunn, Parker, Blakeney, Payne, and others who played low floor basketball last season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#53 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:03 am

coldfish wrote:
Evil_Headband wrote:Interesting that Arcidiacono played over Valentine last night. I think that may be the rotation to start the season.

IMO, he will be the primary back up PG. I think that Coby is actually going to be used as a SG. Not that it really matters. The offensive system is heavy on player movement and ball sharing. There really isn't a traditional PG needed.

The traditional PG isn't needed anymore. Yes you need guys that can create for their teammates, but the pure PGs like Chris Paul and Steve Nash not only don't really exist anymore, but if they did they would be a luxury.

This is what I wanted to see if Chris Fleming would bring into the equation. Having unselfish players is also important.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,089

Post#54 » by Mk0 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 am

Bulls 1v1 Weekly Tournament
Arch vs Zach
https://streamable.com/555l3

This is why I want this guy on my team. Grimey
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 737

Post#55 » by Hold That » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:52 pm

How did Arci and Sato become the two most overrated players on this board over night? Hell if we drafted Tyler Hero he’d be the second coming of Jesus on this board.

Arci is better than vintage Kirk now? :lol: let me know when Arci commands the toughest defensive assignment night in and night out. Let me know when he’s not a defensive liability anymore or when he can put up 14-15ppg on decent shooting and above average defense. Kirk was a two way player and was very good. Defensive effort isn’t the same as being good defensively. Kirk was good defensively period, Ryan tries hard and does the best he can but that’s where it is.

The guy is a 3rd stringer unless he made some miraculous jump like Kyle Lowry did when he joined the Raptors as Jose calderons backup
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#56 » by logical_art » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

I don't think the Bulls have a choice but to play him. He's clearly the second best PG on the roster right now after Sato. That may change if Coby develops there, but at least early season I expect Ryan to play a lot.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,205

Post#57 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Hold That wrote:How did Arci and Sato become the two most overrated players on this board over night? Hell if we drafted Tyler Hero he’d be the second coming of Jesus on this board.

Arci is better than vintage Kirk now? :lol: let me know when Arci commands the toughest defensive assignment night in and night out. Let me know when he’s not a defensive liability anymore or when he can put up 14-15ppg on decent shooting and above average defense. Kirk was a two way player and was very good. Defensive effort isn’t the same as being good defensively. Kirk was good defensively period, Ryan tries hard and does the best he can but that’s where it is.

The guy is a 3rd stringer unless he made some miraculous jump like Kyle Lowry did when he joined the Raptors as Jose calderons backup

Ryan is better than Kirk... not based on any fact but simply because he wasn’t a Jayhawk.

Return to Chicago Bulls