Image ImageImage Image

Lavine “ I’m tired of people talking s*** about my defense”

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Re: Lavine “ I’m tired of people talking s*** about my defense” 

Post#21 » by IamSam » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Zach's efforts so far match the talk, and the results have looked pretty good so far in the pre-season. I'm looking forward to seeing it (hopefully) in the regular season.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#22 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:It's hard not to be excited. He's saying and doing all of the right things, especially after bouncing back last year.

It's true. I've been one of his biggest critics and I have to admit he looks fresh. He's got that fire and attitude. Reminds me a little of the look that Jimmy Butler had preseason the year he broke out. He looks like somebody who is ready to take things up a level. I hope it happens.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Post#23 » by madvillian » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:32 pm

IamSam wrote:Zach's efforts so far match the talk, and the results have looked pretty good so far in the pre-season. I'm looking forward to seeing it (hopefully) in the regular season.

It's been a palate cleansing pre season so far let's keep it going. Good vibes only.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,727

Post#24 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Don't talk about Zach, in the words of Nike, "Just do it."
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#25 » by SHO'NUFF » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Zach LaVine:

“I’m just tired of people talking [bleep] about my defense,’’ LaVine said on Monday. “I’ve always been a good on-ball defender. But there’s no reason I can be this good offensively and not be that good on the defensive end. So I’m taking more pride in it. I’m pretty sure it’ll show. I’ll make sure of that.’’

He's not just getting mad at his critics like some other soft minded NBA players....he wants to go out there and prove them wrong.

Right now it's the "cool thing" to believe that Zach LaVine is absolute god awful defender. People just agree with it because others are saying it....I've seen absolute god awful defenders and Zach LaVine is not one of them. He is absolutely NOT a horrible defender & at the same time he's not a good defender. People make it seem like he allows his man (on offense) to do anything he wants.

Zach LaVine torches "great defenders" all the time. Let's not nitpick on missed defensive plays and not praise the other parts of his game....because he's not as bad a defender as many make it seem. [Though he definitely needs to improve]

Glad to see him notice his faults even if they may be blown out of proportion.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#26 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:Don't talk about Zach, in the words of Nike, "Just do it."

I am a Zach detractor of sorts. That being said he is just doing it in preseason and all off season by all reports. He is the “media” leader of this team right now and he is required as part of the business to say something. I’m seeing some proof in that pudding right now and as said way better than Jabari’s comments.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,585

Post#27 » by JohnnyTapwater » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:03 am

wow...it's happening right before our eyes...
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#28 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:26 am

If you have your star player buy in on defense, the troops will usually follow. White looks like he can defend, WCJ should be able to provide the help d, and OPJ is more than capable. Could be a nice defensive squad next year.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
madvillian
RealGM

Post#29 » by madvillian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:50 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:If you have your star player buy in on defense, the troops will usually follow. White looks like he can defend, WCJ should be able to provide the help d, and OPJ is more than capable. Could be a nice defensive squad next year.

the activity level on defense is noticeably higher all around, even for preseason. active hands, getting in the passing lanes, doing a good job on the glass and hustle areas as well. part of it is having defensive capable and willing players (wendell, Porter, Coby) but it's also like you said having guys buy in to the scheme. That's credit to Boylen and Zach mostly.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,413

Post#30 » by Ice Man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:57 am

Yeah kinda. But we gave up 1000 points to the Bucks and played a fake Raptors team, so what we are talking about is two good defensive games, one of which our starters sat out.

I think our offense will break out this season. Don't know about the defense. Maybe.
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#31 » by NWIBullsFan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 am

gardenofsound wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
It's against realgm policy to post content that is behind a paywall.

Lame :cry:

Or maybe pay for good journalism so that good writers can make a living writing good material?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

You get what you pay for, there's always Blog-a-Bull if you're looking for something free. :wink:
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#32 » by wonderboy2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:01 am

madvillian wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:If you have your star player buy in on defense, the troops will usually follow. White looks like he can defend, WCJ should be able to provide the help d, and OPJ is more than capable. Could be a nice defensive squad next year.

the activity level on defense is noticeably higher all around, even for preseason. active hands, getting in the passing lanes, doing a good job on the glass and hustle areas as well. part of it is having defensive capable and willing players (wendell, Porter, Coby) but it's also like you said having guys buy in to the scheme. That's credit to Boylen and Zach mostly.

Agree 100 percent Thad Young might be having a positive influence as well.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#33 » by Chi town » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 am

JohnnyTapwater wrote:wow...it's happening right before our eyes...

Quick, where’s JohnnyVan???
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#34 » by Chi town » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 am

Ice Man wrote:Yeah kinda. But we gave up 1000 points to the Bucks and played a fake Raptors team, so what we are talking about is two good defensive games, one of which our starters sat out.

I think our offense will break out this season. Don't know about the defense. Maybe.

I’m more confident in the D than the offense.

Sato Thad and Coby all look really solid on D.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#35 » by bad knees » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:12 am

NWIBullsFan wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Or maybe pay for good journalism so that good writers can make a living writing good material?

You get what you pay for, there's always Blog-a-Bull if you're looking for something free. :wink:

My initial reaction to paying for the The Athletic was "hell, no." Then I started looking more closely at the quality and number of writers that they have, including on the Bulls but about all sports really. Here's a list of some of the writers that they employ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Athletic

I decided it was worth a shot, and I have been more than happy with the purchase. I would say that it is definitely worth it if you have $36 per year to spare. I think it goes up to $60 per year after the first year.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#36 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 am

I think Zach's full quotes a pretty good. The lead makes it sound like he's being defensive, but the full quote shows that he knows he needs to prove people wrong and accepts the challenge of doing that. I think LaVine is ok man on man already, it is the team defense concepts and overall awareness that have been struggle points.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#37 » by rtblues » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:28 am

When you look around the league, and up and down the TOP 100 players lists out there, they're chock full of average and many below-average defenders. Zach just needs to fall into the median. For all he does offensively, being an "average defender" would rank him alongside many "stars" who seem to get a pass for their defense. Once you get a rep and tag hung on you, it's hard to undo it. I give him credit for his attitude and approach to it.
Last game was easily the most engaged defensively that I've seen Lavine in a Bulls uniform. So, it's definitely more than just talk.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
madvillian
RealGM

Post#38 » by madvillian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:02 am

NWIBullsFan wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

the original guy behind blog a bull needs to retire. he's trash and adds nothing, detracts really from his own blog. I swear he's actually Joe Cowley sometimes.

the other guys are solid.

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#39 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:13 am

Chi town wrote:
JohnnyTapwater wrote:wow...it's happening right before our eyes...

Quick, where’s JohnnyVan???

I've always said that if Lavine plays well and actually helps the Bulls win games I'll be his biggest fan. So far, I really like what I'm seeing. However, it's still preseason and the Bulls still have not won a game that matters. Zach looks fresh but he still has some things that bother me impact wise. Even in preseason some of his decision making has been questionable. Still
pounding the ball while being indecisive. Still making bad careless passes. Still getting lost in the team defensive scheme at times. Still launching some questionable shots.

That said, I think he's going to be much better than I ever thought he could be. If he can just come correct with some of these things, he can be a perennial all star and a huge positive impact player on a good team. I've noticed a lot of good things lately from him even in preseason. Looking forward to a Bulls season and seeing what Lavine can do more than I have in several years.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=78754170#p78754170

viewtopic.php?p=78765627#p78765627

viewtopic.php?p=78765774#p78765774
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#40 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 am

The main issue most take with LaVine on D is that he's too talented and too athletic to not be good on D. It's a pure effort thing from him.

I want to see him become a average defender. If he can be a very good to elite scorer and average defender then he will be well worth his contract and then some.

Return to Chicago Bulls