Image ImageImage Image

Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Re: Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#21 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 am

dice wrote:
Payt10 wrote:I just love seeing all these previously outspoken coaches and players suddenly losing their voices once the threat of losing money is on the table.

We call these people cowards.

to be fair it's a lot harder to do the right thing when you're negatively impacting everybody you associate with. would you say something that would reduce all of your co-workers' paychecks by even 1%? knowing that THEY know that you know the impact it would have?

but yeah, anything short of saying something as simple as "i value freedom of speech and human rights" is pretty pathetic

it would be pretty easy to say that. in fact I think it's something the NBA should start saying. it's pretty damn non "offensive". if anybody could take offense to human rights and freedom of association.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Re: Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#22 » by NWIBullsFan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:43 am

Michael Jackson wrote:That’s actually impactful if we could get everyone on board. Or at least a majority. The scary thing is the NBA aside how much of our economy is dependent upon them. They could cripple us just with the debt owed to them, think of how much of our production comes from them too. How many companies even domestic manufacturers are dependent on some part of their product from China. We really almost need that to happen, to have that economic fall so we reinvest in our own manufacturing and we aren’t so dependent on them. This is pretty insane... they have influence over the NBA? This is all madness.

You nailed it.

Rick Sanchez: Uh, does China know about that deal-breaker?

President: China doesn't piss on the White House.

Rick: Well, why would they? I'm sure it was expensive.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#23 » by SHO'NUFF » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 am

We need Trump as the NBA Commissioner.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,478

Post#24 » by Flopper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:53 pm

SHO'NUFF wrote:We need Trump as the NBA Commissioner.

Do we really want the league to file for bankruptcy though?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#25 » by dice » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 pm

because...he has most of his own merchandise made overseas, including some in china?

donald trump has one firmly held principle: personal profit. nothing can hold a candle to it as a motivator for him other than fame. not even staying out of prison
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 157

Post#26 » by ShadyMoney » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm

madvillian wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cowards. If the people who actually have a voice to reach millions won't stand up, then their proclamations of woke culture and everything else are bull****. They have the chance to spread awareness over a brutal totalitarian regime, and they do nothing in the name of the all mighty dollar. Their claims about fighting all of these causes and equality mean nothing.

Every time a NBA player brings up a injustice, I'll just remember the China fiasco, and that the only person with all balls to say something was a rich white douchebag who nobody likes. :nonono:

I'm not African American but you'd think the largely AA players would be especially sensitive to issues of justice and equality.

I guess not. When a man's paycheck depends on something...

Umm no.
dice
RealGM

Post#27 » by dice » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:36 pm

dice wrote:

because...he has most of his own merchandise made overseas, including some in china?

donald trump has one firmly held principle: personal profit. nothing can hold a candle to it as a motivator for him other than fame. not even staying out of prison

not to mention:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-china-promise-hong-kong-silence-trade-progress-cnn-2019-10

coward
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 826

Post#28 » by ChiefILL53 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Payt10 wrote:I just love seeing all these previously outspoken coaches and players suddenly losing their voices once the threat of losing money is on the table.

This. Everyone had something to say on everything else, including the president, but now it's crickets.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#29 » by transplant » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:20 pm

dice wrote:

to be fair it's a lot harder to do the right thing when you're negatively impacting everybody you associate with. would you say something that would reduce all of your co-workers' paychecks by even 1%? knowing that THEY know that you know the impact it would have?

but yeah, anything short of saying something as simple as "i value freedom of speech and human rights" is pretty pathetic

A thoughtful and balanced take. Not surprising.

I only spent a few days in HK in the late '90s, but I was struck by how fanatically capitalistic the place was. At the time, it was already known that mainland China would be taking over in '97. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long to reach a boil.

While I understand that the NBA has a significant financial stake in their relationship with China, they should not sell their soul. Believing that basic freedoms and human rights are important everywhere should not be considered to be a controversial stance.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#30 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:13 pm

What would this have cost D Rose? His super huge adidas contract was in part because of his popularity in China.
dice
RealGM

Post#31 » by dice » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:59 am

Michael Jackson wrote:What would this have cost D Rose? His super huge adidas contract was in part because of his popularity in China.

what are the chances that nba BRI or anti-china/pro-HK comments are part of the adidas contract?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#32 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 am

If they weren’t before they definitely are in new contracts going forward.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#33 » by MalagaBulls » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:34 pm

musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#34 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm

This impacts us directly - Zenni Optical has operations HQ'd in mainland China.

By the way, I commend Adam Silver for doing the right thing in supporting Morey's choice as an individual. Thats what seperates democracies from countries like China.
dice
RealGM

Post#35 » by dice » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Lebron Bron says onus to speak should be on the league first, then the players.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255709/LeBron-James-Put-Onus-Back-On-NBA-To-Articulate-China-Position-Before-Asking-Players-To

disingenuous cop out. the nba is not asking the players to speak out. they are not only praying to the money god that the players DON'T speak out, but are actively limiting the media opportunities for the players TO speak out. and since when does LeBron follow the league's lead when it comes to speaking out on social issues?
dice
RealGM

Post#36 » by dice » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:This impacts us directly - Zenni Optical has operations HQ'd in mainland China.

By the way, I commend Adam Silver for doing the right thing in supporting Morey's choice as an individual. Thats what seperates democracies from countries like China.

make no mistake about it: silver is not making a moral stand. he is walking a tightrope to say what will draw the least possible media attention and avoid backlash from both sides, protecting the nba's business interest in the process
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 pm

dice wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:Lebron Bron says onus to speak should be on the league first, then the players.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255709/LeBron-James-Put-Onus-Back-On-NBA-To-Articulate-China-Position-Before-Asking-Players-To

disingenuous cop out. the nba is not asking the players to speak out. they are not only praying to the money god that the players DON'T speak out, but are actively limiting the media opportunities for the players TO speak out. and since when does LeBron follow the league's lead when it comes to speaking out on social issues?

Brand LeBron in full force as per usual.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#38 » by JimmyJammer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:So what? That is no excuse to kiss China's opressive government's ass. F em.

We are kissing a worse oppressive government's ass by the name of Saudi Arabia if I recall. The amount of **** going on in Saudi Arabia is pale in comparison to a country like China. That same government hired hitmen to mutilate an American journalist inside an embassy on foreign soil, but yet we are in bed with them. All of the hijackers of 911 were Saudis. Out there, there is gender discrimination, religious biasness, racism and you get beheaded for being gay. Women can't smoke, drink, drive, etc. We can't conveniently pick and choose where to impose our own version of democracy.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#39 » by the ultimates » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Is this the same league that won't use the term owner but will keep quiet about people being oppressed and abused in Hong Kong? After this foolishness, I don't want to hear from Lebron or the NBA talking about social causes because the first thing I'll think is apparently this won't cost them any money to speak out.

Now people can say other countries do just as bad if not worse than China which is true but private businesses like the NBA and other large multinational corporations don't have to do business with them or kowtow to them. That's the key difference between governments and private business. Governments have to at times work with s****y leaders, dictators an even regimes businesses don't have to.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
tuffbull
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#40 » by tuffbull » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Lebron is right about Morey wasn't educated on the issue. HongKong's society is very divided at the moment, you can't make assumption all people were suppressed by the government over there. Majority of people are against the violent protests that have been going on for months. It's not just about the democracy, many young people are under pressure living in HK and frustrated by the high cost of housing and a lack of job opportunities in the city. There's also a small group of people who don't want to accept HongKong is part of China after 150 years of British rule.

Return to Chicago Bulls