ImageImageImageImageImage

Nurse harshly criticizes RHJ and Stanley Johnson

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Re: Nurse harshly criticizes RHJ and Stanley Johnson 

Post#101 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Give the minutes to Miller & Boucher

Lowry - FVV
Norm - FVV/ Thomas or Terrence Davis
OG - Miller
Pascal - Boucher/Serge/Miller
Gasol - Serge

That should be their 10 man rotation.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#102 » by rocky_da_best » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Give the minutes to Miller & Boucher

Lowry - FVV
OG - Miller
Gasol - Serge

Not sure if Nurse's comments were also directed at Thomas but god, he's so undersized. I can't imagine how he's gonnna cut it in this league unless he shoots nothing short of Steph Curry-like on offence. FVV looks bigger than him :lol: :lol: :lol:
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#103 » by rocky_da_best » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Really worried if that's our actual rotation. Guys like Boucher shouldn't see the floor until garbage time. I hope Masai finds some other guys or 905 blesses us.
RAblaze
Senior
And1: 877

Post#104 » by RAblaze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:

Lowry - FVV
OG - Miller
Gasol - Serge

Not sure if Nurse's comments were also directed at Thomas but god, he's so undersized. I can't imagine how he's gonnna cut it in this league unless he shoots nothing short of Steph Curry-like on offence. FVV looks bigger than him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huh? He's like 6'4"-6'5".
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,194

Post#105 » by NBJ13 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:Elite coach

...in an elite program
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#106 » by rocky_da_best » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 pm

RAblaze wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

Lowry - FVV
OG - Miller
Gasol - Serge

Missed a word in there. He LOOKS undersized. I feel like he'll have issues guarding NBA level guys.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#107 » by Indeed » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:34 pm

I don't think those are harsh, and their performance is obviously bad from everyone on the forum who watched the games.

Meanwhile, it is for Nurse bring these up before the final pre-season game, perhaps both of them understand by now, and may show better performance.

As for expectation, I wonder if they will get the spot by simply hustle and play defense. Miller may not have the lateral quickness, but he fills a 3+D role very well, wonder how Nurse will weight on these skill set.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#108 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:35 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

Missed a word in there. He LOOKS undersized. I feel like he'll have issues guarding NBA level guys.

You're right. I got that same observation as well. Looks like that grade 9 kid playing with the grade 12's lol
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Post#109 » by PoundTown » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:36 pm

booyah_child wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oof. Sounds even harsher when you hear it. Man looks stern.

I love this guy. Didn't have an issue with anyone last year, and you know what, last years team had so much heart he shouldn't have had a problem. Those guys went to work.. There was a reason he stuck with Fred. And there is a reason those guys loved him, including Kyle who has a hard time loving a coach.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#110 » by JYD » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Thomas is not that small at SG, maybe a bit short-armed and slow on D. But guys like Thomas and McCaw get where Nurse wants them to be on defense and play unselfishly. That's why they're higher in the pecking order by default. Have to agree with Nurse's principles here.

Thomas at 25 or whatever and pretty much at his peak already, I think if he shows some decent scoring ability a lot of finals contenders could be interested in him. He knows where to be, he knows how to hit open looks, just reliable in that aspect. If you put him on the floor to space for some stars he could be valuable.

RHJ has 2 things over Johnson imo, a better motor, and better rebounding. Better natural passing talent as well though it may not translate into games. But if he's not on his spot on D it won't matter.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,713

Post#111 » by Ell Curry » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Skeezo wrote:Great comment by Nurse, but have to say in addition to the championship reputation, it helps that he has Vets that buy-in to that mentality. I think it was T.Davis at the beginning of the season talking about how VanVleet set him straight saying, "We work here" ...

When your team is aware of the the apathy-filled locker rooms that exist around the league and they are ready and willing to self-regulate the new additions to the team, half your job is accomplished as a coach.

Credit to Ujiri, Nurse and Lowry.

Nurse seemingly committing to us just being a defensive team first and foremost gives me confidence we can get to 48-50 wins off of cohesion, ball movement and outside shooting (of his 8 rotation guys according to Lewenberg they're all capable of average 3pt shooting seasons though you'd probably bet on one of Ibaka, McCaw or even OG to struggle from outside since they're all a bit erratic - though also equally capable of a high 30s year - from there).
Where's the D?
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,673

Post#112 » by VanWest82 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 pm

That sucks. Can’t say I’ve been too impressed with either but it’s never good to hear your two highest potential signings are dogging it / just not getting it. RHJ has some redeeming qualities IMO but SJ looks like a guy who’s about to be out of the league. Have to wonder if Nurse was thinking about Davis here as well. Matt Thomas OTOH has been a revelation. He might not be very athletic but he’s definitely a pro.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#113 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 pm

JYD wrote:Thomas is not that small at SG, maybe a bit short-armed and slow on D. But guys like Thomas and McCaw get where Nurse wants them to be on defense and play unselfishly. That's why they're higher in the pecking order by default. Have to agree with Nurse's principles here.

Thomas at 25 or whatever and pretty much at his peak already, I think if he shows some decent scoring ability a lot of finals contenders could be interested in him. He knows where to be, he knows how to hit open looks, just reliable in that aspect. If you put him on the floor to space for some stars he could be valuable.

RHJ has 2 things over Johnson imo, a better motor, and better rebounding. Better natural passing talent as well though it may not translate into games. But if he's not on his spot on D it won't matter.

Well said. Someone made the comment unless he shoots like Curry - what is his value. Well he does shoot like a Curry or a Reddick. That his value and as long as he works really hard, everything says he has, and knows where to be on offense and defense then he deserves to be higher up. He knows who he is, Stanley does not yet. RHJ needs a reminder.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#114 » by Boogie! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:05 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

Jj Redick?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
RAblaze
Senior
And1: 877

Post#115 » by RAblaze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
RAblaze wrote:

You're right. I got that same observation as well. Looks like that grade 9 kid playing with the grade 12's lol

LilRomeo905
Junior
And1: 267

Post#116 » by LilRomeo905 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Lots of people here they were "good pick-up" for Kawhi's replacement lmaooo
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#117 » by StopitLeo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:15 pm

I have always enjoyed how candid Nurse is.

This is disappointing since defense is basically all these guys bring to the table. These guys better get things sorted out because they are completely opportunistic on offense and can't shoot 3s. I think we'll see a lot of sliding positions in lineups like last year.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#118 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 pm

RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

lol you still dont get it.

It's the NBA dude.
wigginstruther
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#119 » by wigginstruther » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 pm

I think Nurse has peeped that these guys are using the Raptors as a pit stop to take up usage and spike their value, not knowing that there's an established system, hierarchy and culture. They're both almost out of the NBA and know this contract may be their last if things don't work out. Our 7 man rotation is already elite. If you wanna crack it and showcase yourself, you've gotta earn it.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#120 » by mademan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:49 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

lol you still dont get it.

It's the NBA dude.

Ya. I think he's gonna need a full NBA offseason with the right trainers to get by. If he can get to JJ Redick/Joe Harris not completely awful level of defense, then he's got a long career in the NBA.

Return to Toronto Raptors