The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

LeBird
Rookie
And1: 887

Re: The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread 

Post#181 » by LeBird » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:23 am

Love LeBron but he should shut up and dribble, he knows very little about politics other than his myopic leftist slant. Morey knows far more than LeBron about pretty much everything aside from being a basketball player - the fact that LeBron calls him misinformed is just a joke.

Say what you want about MJ, and many know he isn't my favorite player, but he stays out of this ****.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#182 » by Slava » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 am

LeBird wrote:Love LeBron but he should shut up and dribble, he knows very little about politics other than his myopic leftist slant. Morey knows far more than LeBron about pretty much everything aside from being a basketball player - the fact that LeBron calls him misinformed is just a joke.

Say what you want about MJ, and many know he isn't my favorite player, but he stays out of this ****.

I don't doubt LeBron is more aware of the challenges minorities face in the US as compared to complex international issues like Hong Kong but I doubt Morey is as well informed either. Morey in all his infinite wisdom would never have tweeted what he did if he knew how sensitive territorial integrity was to China, who are one of the biggest revenue sources for the Rockets. That would be plain sabotage and the kind of thing that gets executives fired.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#183 » by mysticOscar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:24 am

This is not just a Lebron issue but it's to all the celebrities that try to virtue signal.

When it actually comes to the crunch, they normally cower.

It's so easy to boast how virtues they are when they are sitting in there multi million mansions and luxury cars and high profile status on top of there ivory towers.....but when it actually comes to affecting them personally, they are the first people to sucumb.

Hollywood are even worse when it comes to hypocricy....they are so in there own bubble and out of touch from normal folks.

I really don't see many Hollywood stars rushing to support the HK protesters whose basic freedom is being eroded by the authorative Chinese government....but these Hollywood stars thump there chest on issues that are minor relative to some of the issues plaguing other countries
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#184 » by zimpy27 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:46 am

mysticOscar wrote:This is not just a Lebron issue but it's to all the celebrities that try to virtue signal.

It's so easy to boast how virtues they are when they are sitting in there multi million mansions and luxury cars and high profile status on top of there ivory towers.....but when it actually comes to affecting them personally, they are the first people to sucumb.

Hollywood are even worse when it comes to hypocricy....they are so in there own bubble and out of touch from normal folks.

I really don't see many Hollywood stars rushing to support the HK protesters whose basic freedom is being eroded by the authorative Chinese government....but these Hollywood stars thump there chest on issues that are minor relative to some of the issues plaguing other countries

I don't see many voicing their opinion on here rushing to actually help with issues either.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#185 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59 am

LeBird wrote:Love LeBron but he should shut up and dribble, he knows very little about politics other than his myopic leftist slant. Morey knows far more than LeBron about pretty much everything aside from being a basketball player - the fact that LeBron calls him misinformed is just a joke.

Maybe reconsider your position any time you find yourself unironically quoting Laura Ingraham.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#186 » by mysticOscar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:13 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
mysticOscar wrote:This is not just a Lebron issue but it's to all the celebrities that try to virtue signal.

I don't see many voicing their opinion on here rushing to actually help with issues either.

I could be wrong, but I don't see many ppl virtue signal to there millions of followers here pandering on popular opinions on trivial issues relative to the real issues around the globe
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#187 » by PCProductions » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:21 pm

It's more like it's easy to feel empowered to voice strong opinions when they aren't very controversial. Police brutality isn't exactly a polarizing subject; we all agree it needs addressing. This China thing however is a geopolitical firestorm with deep financial ties and business relationships, and standing up to them might actually affect their income. Unsurprisingly, these players aren't as ready to be activists when there are sacrifices to be made in the face of what's right.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#188 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I like LBJ a lot and think he's usually a role model off the court. But I can't go against freedom of speech. Really sad about his reaction on the China issue.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#189 » by yoyoboy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm not disappointed because this is exactly what I expected. I've never personally viewed LeBron as some amazing role model who's made sacrifices for the greater good. Not to say he's a bad person either, but he's always been a man about his business, a guy who aspires to be a billionaire athlete. Calling Morey misinformed, saying he should've been more aware of the consequences, and then saying that he can't comment on China because he's not a politician are all pretty absurd statements. The CCP is the problem in this equation - not Morey.

What is disappointing is thinking about the kind of ground that could've been broken if LeBron did actually take a stand against what's going on in China.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant

Post#190 » by PCProductions » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:07 pm

yoyoboy wrote:I'm not disappointed because this is exactly what I expected. I've never personally viewed LeBron as some amazing role model who's made sacrifices for the greater good. Not to say he's a bad person either, but he's always been a man about his business, a guy who aspires to be a billionaire athlete. Calling Morey misinformed, saying he should've been more aware of the consequences, and then saying that he can't comment on China because he's not a politician are all pretty absurd statements. The CCP is the problem in this equation - not Morey.

What is disappointing is thinking about the kind of ground that could've been broken if LeBron did actually take a stand against what's going on in China.

Yeah I mean it's one thing to be a hypocrite, but his statements are morally wrong more than anything. And we all know what the motivations were, which makes it even worse.
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#191 » by Run DLC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:11 pm

He should’ve kept his mouth shut because he’s clearly not as educated as, Morey, but we all know he can’t help himself and will try too hard to give his two cents on every political topics. I love watching him play and he’s my favorite player of all time, but he has the personality of someone who always want to be the center of attention of every situation. In a situation like this, the best course of action is to not say anything at all. A simple “No comment” would’ve sufficed.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#192 » by Baski » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Who are you all kidding? A no comment would've elicited the same "hypocrite" comments he's getting now.

I think we need to cut these celebs some slack here. Whether hypocritical or not, they're doing their part and still making some difference. They're not Gandhi or MLK but they're doing something at least. Half a loaf is better than none. Yes Leonardo diCaprio is very vocal to a nauseating degree about how we're all killing the planet, but if he were to stop advocating because the guy who signs his checks tells him so, it wouldn't negate the good he's already done.
I've been mulling over a particular scenario ever since this mess started:
Imagine you're a badass vigilante doing more work in a night than the Police do in 3 weeks. Naturally there's a warrant out for your arrest, and you find yourself on the run, being taken in by a kind soul and his family. They successfully hide you from arrest parties for 2 days, till a 3rd party comes along and threatens to kill Mr. Kind soul's mother who lives on the next lane. Can you fault him for giving you up? Does his protection the past 2 days mean nothing to you now? I know I know this is an easy one. Now let's make him a little more scummy.
Suppose instead of threatening his mum, he's offered $1000 to sell you out and he does it. Obviously you're bummed, but how do you act like the kindness he's already done you means nothing?

My point is yeah it sucks to see that everyone has a line they won't cross when money is on the line, but can't we appreciate what they've done up to that point, instead of diminishing it because they're "hypocrites" now?
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#193 » by Mazter » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:I like LBJ a lot and think he's usually a role model off the court. But I can't go against freedom of speech. Really sad about his reaction on the China issue.

Yeah sure, we all value freedom of speech. But there is a line between freedom of speech and saying stupid things. I'm sure James couldn't care less of about 7.695486384 billion people exercising their freedom of speech about China, Morey just happened to not be one of them. Morey saying what he retweeted at the local bar, a birthday party or in the local school paper wouldn't have been a problem either. Morey being a public figure and working for an employer with ties deep in China saying that on Twitter was not very smart, uneducated if you will.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant

Post#194 » by PCProductions » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:12 am

Baski wrote:My point is yeah it sucks to see that everyone has a line they won't cross when money is on the line, but can't we appreciate what they've done up to that point, instead of diminishing it because they're "hypocrites" now?

No, supporting a brutal regime undermines everything and exposes the true ethos of his brand.
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#195 » by MisterHibachi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:54 am

Bron's ELITE at the pocket pass
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#196 » by MisterHibachi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:55 am

That was an insane bounce pass to Green
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#197 » by thebigbird » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:56 am

So, I don't think we have to worry about LeBron "turning Davis into a spot up shooter." The rest of the league will wish he did, though.

Also, LeBron doesn't look too bulky now. Good sign.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,395

Post#198 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 am

Lebron just missed a bunny at the rim.

Has he been missing lay-ups a lot during pre-season?
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,442

Post#199 » by toodles23 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 am

Same theme from the first three games, he looks pretty quick off the dribble but can't elevate at all.

His passing is absolutely sublime at this point, he's mastered PnR pocket passing, lobs, bouncers through traffic... he's continued to improve at it even this late in his career. It would probably take something weird for him not to have a career high in assists and he could very well lead the league.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#200 » by homecourtloss » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:15 am

AD + LBJ minus Rondo must be +20 per 100 at least. McGee has looked surprisingly very good in every lineup he’s been in. Playing Rondo with LBJ should be a fireable offense.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…

Return to Player Comparisons