Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

What is holding Dennis Smith Jr. Back? 

Post#1 » by Pelly24 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:16 am

Why is he so bad? It's weird.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,411

Re: What is holding Dennis Smith Jr. Back? 

Post#2 » by picko » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:23 am

His brain.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#3 » by homecourtloss » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 am

Dennis Smith Jr.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:06 am

1. his health...was my biggest worry about him and I was big on him coming out...he's ALWAYS nicked up...always something wrong with him whether it's his feet, shoulder, back...he's almost never 100%

2. decision making...still needs a lot of work...didn't develop as much I thought he would so far in this aspect, his decisions are inefficient on both sides of the ball, needs to learn to manage the game better and take better shots and understand pace
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,314

Post#5 » by The High Cyde » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:36 pm

He's more of an athlete than a ball player. Just doesn't have a natural feel for the game.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#6 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Year 3 is when you usually have an idea of what a player's gonna be, so this is probably worth re-visiting around the ASB to see where he's at. He has his flaws/shortcomings, but his ability to get in the paint is impressive and I'd say he's *at least* average if not above average at finding shooters off penetration. Knicks have some shooters this year, so we'll see how that goes. And if the jump shot isn't broken that'd be cool too.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:44 pm

He's not big, he's weak shooter and mediocre playmaker, he's nothing special as a defender... Without any improvement I don't see why he should be better than he is right now. He's just not good basketball player by NBA standards.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:59 pm

70sFan wrote:He's not big, he's weak shooter and mediocre playmaker, he's nothing special as a defender... Without any improvement I don't see why he should be better than he is right now. He's just not good basketball player by NBA standards.

Poor mans Steve Francis.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#9 » by Statlanta » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 pm

His own lack of basketball IQ and the incompetence of the Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
BIGJ1ER
Rookie
And1: 535

Post#10 » by BIGJ1ER » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:09 pm

clyde21 wrote:1. his health...was my biggest worry about him and I was big on him coming out...he's ALWAYS nicked up...always something wrong with him whether it's his feet, shoulder, back...he's almost never 100%

2. decision making...still needs a lot of work...didn't develop as much I thought he would so far in this aspect, his decisions are inefficient on both sides of the ball, needs to learn to manage the game better and take better shots and understand pace

Interesting to see you were high on him clyde, I never really liked him as a prospect tbh.

3 years in and I'm even lower on him than before. I think he's awful and I just can't see him turning it around to the point where he's ever a hugely impactful player.

Obviously as a knicks fan I'd love to be proven wrong, but yeah I just can't see it happening.
Big Fan of / and (
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:15 pm

BIGJ1ER wrote:
clyde21 wrote:1. his health...was my biggest worry about him and I was big on him coming out...he's ALWAYS nicked up...always something wrong with him whether it's his feet, shoulder, back...he's almost never 100%

Interesting to see you were high on him clyde, I never really liked him as a prospect tbh.

3 years in and I'm even lower on him than before. I think he's awful and I just can't see him turning it around to the point where he's ever a hugely impactful player.

Obviously as a knicks fan I'd love to be proven wrong, but yeah I just can't see it happening.

yea, I've tempered my expectations on him at this point, but I still think he can be a functional PG in this league, there's a path there, but a lot of it starts with just getting healthy and staying on the court, and just improving general decision making.

Return to Player Comparisons