ImageImageImageImageImage

Nurse harshly criticizes RHJ and Stanley Johnson

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Re: Nurse harshly criticizes RHJ and Stanley Johnson 

Post#141 » by Steven1562 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:06 am

Good on Nurse for calling out these guys. This is their last audition. They need to stop slacking or else they will be out of the league soon.
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#142 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:11 am

Boogie! wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
Huh? He's like 6'4"-6'5".

Missed a word in there. He LOOKS undersized. I feel like he'll have issues guarding NBA level guys.

Jj Redick?

If he can shoot like him and find space as well as Redick does to get his shots off, sure...but I doubt it.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,481

Post#143 » by bballsparkin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 am

Dalek wrote:Nurse is just setting up for a real intense last preseason game. Against Brooklyn RHJ was going to already go hard, but now with his coach calling him out he is going to play like Gerlad Wallace.

Only Stanley Johnson should be worried. I have like Oshae Brissett better than him. Nevermind Miller who shoots and does more things.

Re: RHJ he is pretty safe. There is limited guys who can gaurd 4s and 3s and he is way ahead of Boucher in my opinion. Boucher can't board and gets bodied down low. Not a fan of his jenky game.

Yeah, I agree. I like watching RHJ play defensively and think he's safe. SJ needs to earn the spot.
soloxylo
General Manager
And1: 12,204

Post#144 » by soloxylo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:37 am

They've both been underwhelming, really don't know how they're still in the league.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#145 » by ruckus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:39 am

I love it. Championship mentality right there.

SJ and RHJ both have defensive reputations and came from decent defensive teams in DET and BKN. That's not good enough for championship level defense. That's not good enough for a championship level team.

I'm disappointed in Stanley though I'm not surprised. The biggest thing holding him back is his inconsistent motor. You'd think that playing for a champion would make you play harder.
RAblaze
Senior
And1: 877

Post#146 » by RAblaze » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:10 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
You're right. I got that same observation as well. Looks like that grade 9 kid playing with the grade 12's lol

lol you still dont get it.

It's the NBA dude.

His size has nothing to do with his ability to defend. at 6'5ish and ~197 pounds, hes about the same size as or bigger than Delon Wright, Caris Levert, Tyler Johnson, Derrick White, Ricky Rubio, Frank Ntilkina, etc. If anything, maybe question his agility, athleticism or positioning but I don't think he's small for a guard in todays NBA.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#147 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 am

Ahhhh I remember when I spoke on them and some people called me out for overreacting because "it's just preseason" dude preseason gives you an idea of what these players improved on in the offseason. These guys are not NBA talent! SJ does nothing well, and RHJ just doesn't stick to what he's decent at, and that makes him a liability. If this guy would just rebound the ball and play defence he would be decent. He's out there trying to create his own shots and it's like watching bambi on ice.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#148 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 am

Nurse should have waited and made this statement while wearing his championship ring.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#149 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:14 pm

RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
RAblaze wrote:

It's the NBA dude.

His size has nothing to do with his ability to defend. at 6'5ish and ~197 pounds, hes about the same size as or bigger than Delon Wright, Caris Levert, Tyler Johnson, Derrick White, Ricky Rubio, Frank Ntilkina, etc. If anything, maybe question his agility, athleticism or positioning but I don't think he's small for a guard in todays NBA.

I think were both trying to say that he plays defense as if he's undersized. He can't keep up. He looks as if he's undersized by the way he's lost on defence. Did that really need explaining? Lol
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#150 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:16 pm

RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
RAblaze wrote:

It's the NBA dude.

We are saying how small he is compared to the other guys on the court as in built frame which is clearly evident that hes a lot smaller than everyone else especially for a guy who plays on the wing. Guys are 6’7-8” 225.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,635

Post#151 » by sbsat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:22 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
Missed a word in there. He LOOKS undersized. I feel like he'll have issues guarding NBA level guys.

Jj Redick?

If he can shoot like him and find space as well as Redick does to get his shots off, sure...but I doubt it.

Actually jj transformed his body quite a bit. Thomas is not your answer... at least not right away.. sorry folks
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Post#152 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm

sbsat wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Jj Redick?

Actually jj transformed his body quite a bit. Thomas is not your answer... at least not right away.. sorry folks

JJ was always a pretty good, smart defender. But Masai gave Thomas a 3-year deal. Clearly the team is committed to giving him every opportunity to succeed. Might as well endure the pain now, like watching Siakam bricking 3s two seasons ago.
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#153 » by mulamutti » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Nurse has championship pedigree. He should have a lot more confidence and authority to demand from players, particularly the new guys and the young guys. With a championship, Nurse can have the ultimate freedom to be who he is without fear of getting fired or not having a job in this league. He should demand more from players with reckless abandon. Love it.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#154 » by J-Roc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm

If we really are going to develop reclamation projects, it'll be in the G League, not in preseason.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,518

Post#155 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:34 pm

You have to laugh now at the many posts saying these 2 guys were going to take OG's spot, back when they were acquired.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
vbmeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 735

Post#156 » by vbmeer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:57 pm

It is interesting that even after winning the title, lower tier free agents still see Toronto as a pit stop to potentially boost their value for their next contract rather than a franchise they seem themselves in long-term.

Thus, defensive role players sign and believe they can expand their offensive repertoire.

I think that's part of the disappointment in Nurse's mind.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#157 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Miller as backup SF works for me
DonMega
General Manager
And1: 8,689

Post#158 » by DonMega » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Glad we had the likes of Kawhi and green to show us what good defense is. Our new coach, core players got to experience it and now maybe our future going forward will be better cause we got guys like nurse at the helm.

Sent from my SM-G965W using RealGM mobile app
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#159 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:42 pm

This sounds like it comes from team practices. You need a little time to adapt to a teams system especially on defense. It's mostly about rotating, closing out and collapsing in the key. If there is a weak link, the system can fail. Not surprising they haven't caught up yet, if it was easy, everyone would be able yo do it. Their defensive reputations were based mostly on man on man D.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
RAblaze
Senior
And1: 877

Post#160 » by RAblaze » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:03 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

It's the NBA dude.

We are saying how small he is compared to the other guys on the court as in built frame which is clearly evident that hes a lot smaller than everyone else especially for a guy who plays on the wing. Guys are 6’7-8” 225.

OK, and what I'm saying is that he's not that undersized. He might get abused on mismatches, and could even be targeted by other teams in schemes IF he sees significant enough minutes this season. But he's not going to be out there and asked to defend 6'8" wings. On this team, this is the role that the many 6'8", athletic wings the Raptors currently have on the roster will fill. He's not going to be asked to guard LeBron James. There aren't as many big shooting guards in the NBA as you may think, especially off the bench where Thomas would likely see the minutes this season.

If your argument was about his perceived lack of athleticism and quickness I would agree with you. I think he could surprise people in this regard as he has shown he can play decent team defense and get in passing lanes from time to time.

Return to Toronto Raptors