ImageImageImageImageImage

Nurse harshly criticizes RHJ and Stanley Johnson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,042

Re: Nurse harshly criticizes RHJ and Stanley Johnson 

Post#161 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 pm

RAblaze wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
RAblaze wrote:
His size has nothing to do with his ability to defend. at 6'5ish and ~197 pounds, hes about the same size as or bigger than Delon Wright, Caris Levert, Tyler Johnson, Derrick White, Ricky Rubio, Frank Ntilkina, etc. If anything, maybe question his agility, athleticism or positioning but I don't think he's small for a guard in todays NBA.

We are saying how small he is compared to the other guys on the court as in built frame which is clearly evident that hes a lot smaller than everyone else especially for a guy who plays on the wing. Guys are 6’7-8” 225.

OK, and what I'm saying is that he's not that undersized. He might get abused on mismatches, and could even be targeted by other teams in schemes IF he sees significant enough minutes this season. But he's not going to be out there and asked to defend 6'8" wings. On this team, this is the role that the many 6'8", athletic wings the Raptors currently have on the roster will fill. He's not going to be asked to guard LeBron James. There aren't as many big shooting guards in the NBA as you may think, especially off the bench where Thomas would likely see the minutes this season.

If your argument was about his perceived lack of athleticism and quickness I would agree with you. I think he could surprise people in this regard as he has shown he can play decent team defense and get in passing lanes from time to time.

My argument is he looks smaller than most guys on the floor, plain a simple, which he is. For example, Powell is 6’4” and built to play on the wing althought undersized in terms of height. His body is there. Matt Thomas who you say is an inch taller looks a lot smaller than Norm due to his body type.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#162 » by Senbonzakura » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Nurse really built different.

Dude is real af.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#163 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:42 pm

In other news anyone noticing McCaw is injury prone.

He's had major injuries with Golden State and even with us he's had a few injuries already that have held him back.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#164 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:43 pm

redeye514 wrote:We’re underestimating how much we’re going to miss Danny Green.

I think the board only remembers Danny going cold in the playoffs, but 2018-2019 regular season Danny G was the best 3&D guy our franchise has ever had... EVER.

Big shoes to fill to say the least for RHJ and SJ.. these nurse comments worry me. I don’t want to go back to Patterson / Carroll level 3&D role player!!!!!

Green was incredible defensively and had one of the best RPM's in the league last year.

He also shot lights out during the regular season. Even though he struggled shooting in the post-season he still did an awesome job against guys like Augustine, Fournier, Butler, Harris, Middleton, Bledsoe, Brogdon, Klay and even Curry at times.
Valard
Sixth Man
And1: 2,902

Post#165 » by Valard » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 pm

I dont have local television---- has there been any follow up soundbites from RHJ or Johnson since Nurse ethered them?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,137

Post#166 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Nurse is a better defensive coach than "defensive guru" Dwane Casey. Come at me.
wigginstruther
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#167 » by wigginstruther » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:34 am

I think the board only remembers Danny going cold in the playoffs, but 2018-2019 regular season Danny G was the best 3&D guy our franchise has ever had... EVER.

Big shoes to fill to say the least for RHJ and SJ.. these nurse comments worry me. I don’t want to go back to Patterson / Carroll level 3&D role player!!!!!

Norm is likely going to be starting at SG. SJ and RHJ will be fighting for forward minutes. I'm hopeful for Norm finally starting at his natural position, I think his athleticism and ball handling put his ceiling above Danny's.
wigginstruther
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#168 » by wigginstruther » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:38 am

Danny1616 wrote:

Green was incredible defensively and had one of the best RPM's in the league last year.

He also shot lights out during the regular season. Even though he struggled shooting in the post-season he still did an awesome job against guys like Augustine, Fournier, Butler, Harris, Middleton, Bledsoe, Brogdon, Klay and even Curry at times.

He did excellent on Augustine, Fournier & Brogdon, Middleton & Klay were guarded by Lowry, Bledsoe & Harris by Pascal... Butler was roasting us horribly until we put Kawhi on him. By the post season it was as if Danny lost a step. It was kind of maddening.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,093

Post#169 » by The Warrior » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Nurse is a better defensive coach than "defensive guru" Dwane Casey. Come at me.
There's nothing to come at you for. What you stated is factual. You can remove the word "defensive" and it would also apply.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#170 » by will » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am

Coach doing his job.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#171 » by Rapsalot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Lion or rabbit time.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,819

Post#172 » by CoachD » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:49 pm

What are the cap ramifications if Stanley is cut?
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#173 » by navyblue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:52 pm

CoachD wrote:What are the cap ramifications if Stanley is cut?

eats up $3.8 mil next season, has a player option. plus there is no reason to cut him,
just because he hasnt shown worthy of being a rotation player in training camp, doesnt mean he his worse than the 15th player.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#174 » by StopitLeo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Valard wrote:I dont have local television---- has there been any follow up soundbites from RHJ or Johnson since Nurse ethered them?

Nope. Doubt you’d get anything anyway.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,344

Post#175 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Never heard him be that blunt. I like it.

On another note... i do love how he has prioritized defense. That it is all first. That it wasn't just good defenders, that it was a cultural change for him too.

They should come around, but it won't be immediate.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,819

Post#176 » by CoachD » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 pm

This is why Nurse is so great.

He refuses to look at their reputations and say "Aww shucks, they're good defenders, they'll figure it out". He's taking the old school approach of "Step up, and do it properly, or someone else will".

The Raps have literally NEVER had a coach like that.

Nurse is our GOAT
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#177 » by LJKO » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:31 pm

For now I don't care about scoring, To compensate I need this team to be hard to score on the defensive end all 82 games. Defense leads to offensive every single play. Man Nurse has turn a new leaf on me and I use to hate the dude, I Sincerely Apologize :nod:. He use to have that offensive coaching mentality but damn he's change his coaching mentality to defense, Kuudos to you Nurse :wink:
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#178 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:41 pm

The more I think about this the more it seems he was slightly offended by the question hence the triple nope.

To translate:

Hey coach Nurse, your teams D just won you a chip, are these two borderline NBA players making that D even better?
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#179 » by johanliebert » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Nurse is a better defensive coach than "defensive guru" Dwane Casey. Come at me.

calling out players via the media doesnt make you a better defensive coach lol. This isnt how you talk to nba players in today's age especially that bit about playoff intensity that part was cringeworthy. Nurse spoke like he was out there on the court during those games.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#180 » by johanliebert » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:00 pm

SkillzFromThe6 wrote:I don't know if Nick Nurse was an elite coach before to y'all. But this small thing puts him in the elite head coaches for me.

I dunno how this makes him an elite coach.

This guy inherited a 59 win team with an improved roster and even then he was trying to outsmart himself every game. We'll see how calling out players his GM acquired via the media flies when this team becomes mediocre which may be very soon.

Return to Toronto Raptors