ImageImageImageImageImage

Is there anybody still regretting the DeMar trade?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Re: Is there anybody still regretting the DeMar trade? 

Post#21 » by itsme23 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Amazing trade.

Just wish we didn’t have such a robotic emotionless superstar where nothing could sway his decision.

I don’t think there is or ever has been any other superstar in the league that would have left the raps in that situation the following year aside from Kawhi.

Cannot think of one. Maybe Lebron but even he tried to repeat again the following year.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#22 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:03 pm

VanWest82 wrote:I was vocally against it at the time. My argument was why not wait and deal Demar mid season when he’d re-couped his value. Even if the package was only say Reggie Jackson + Luke Kennard + FRP you still also have Poeltl and our pick (likely low 20s) to help rebuild, We probably would have dealt Lowry as well. Surely three FRPs, even non-lottery, plus Poeltl and whatever else is better than one year of Kawhi and Danny right?

Then we won the title. It’s impossible to argue against that. Obviously you pick the championship and the memories every single time. But we were also four lucky bounces on the rim from possibly being a second round exit. If that had happened there’d be some serious buyer’s remorse around here. Let’s not get it twisted.

One, there's absolutely no way DeMar gets any real assets. What you're suggesting as a trade isn't better just because of a couple of low 20s picks.

Two, we were four bounces from OT in a game we had a slim upper hand the entire time. Kawhi missed a shot like that earlier and bricked an FT that would have put us up - this isn't MJ over Ehlo.

Three, even if we lost in the Finals against that superstar Warriors team and Kawhi left it would still be by far the most successful season in franchise history and worth it.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,339

Post#23 » by alpngso » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Ask the Spurs board and see what they say
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#24 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:24 pm

I don't know if it's rose coloured glasses, faulty memory, or our abismal history, prior to JV, in acquiring quality centers, but I want Jakob back. I want the championship, and I want Jakob. Could we get him for a first pick plus a bottom 7 player on our roster?

Maybe it's residual feelings of missing the Red Rocket.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#25 » by everdiso » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:31 pm

getting rid of that contract, and that ball-dominating uselessness destroying team play at both ends of the court, would have been a great move even if we got nothing back at all.

the fact that we got Kawhi and Green back on top of that is as hilarious as it gets.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,319

Post#26 » by Bank Shot » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:00 pm

RyderMike wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Huge regrets. One chip with Kawhi, but possibly multiple titles with Demar.

Right we could've had another 3 or 4 Divison titles. Instead all we got was 1 NBA title.

We're still getting that division title this year.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#27 » by lebron stopper » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:02 pm

everdiso wrote:getting rid of that contract, and that ball-dominating uselessness destroying team play at both ends of the court, would have been a great move even if we got nothing back at all.

the fact that we got Kawhi and Green back on top of that is as hilarious as it gets.

Kawhi could have sat out the entire season waiting to head to LA, and the Raptors still would have won the trade.

DeMar is just not a good player, especially at his bloated overpaid salary.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#28 » by alienchild » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:09 pm

I regret that it took so long to trade him.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#29 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 pm

And1+2 wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:Is this a troll bait thread?

More like a filter thread, because anyone who still thinks that needs to get filtered out of this forum.

I'm more disappointed that we still hanve Lowry haters. Imo those people don't belong here.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#30 » by B-Ball Freak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:29 pm

I love Demar's love and loyalty for the city, he will always be a fan favorite here, but this was the best trade this franchise has ever made.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#31 » by B-Ball Freak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Boogie! wrote:
And1+2 wrote:

More like a filter thread, because anyone who still thinks that needs to get filtered out of this forum.

I'm more disappointed that we still hanve Lowry haters. Imo those people don't belong here.

I think it's because they have hated Lowry for so long that their brain has become hardwired to hate him :lol:.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#32 » by LJKO » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Huge regrets. One chip with Kawhi, but possibly multiple titles with Demar.

I see what you did there :nod:
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,259

Post#33 » by mrdressup » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:57 pm

The difference between elation and being on suicide watch after the first round.
YoungG
Head Coach
And1: 4,505

Post#34 » by YoungG » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Like many have said already, Demar's loyalty and love for the city will forever be recognized, but if I'm Masai, I'm making that trade 10/10 times.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#35 » by TheBoi10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:08 pm

No, he's one of the most overrated players of all time
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,496

Post#36 » by SFour » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:12 pm

If the trade only involved Demar for Danny Green I'd still do it...that should answer your question.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,408

Post#37 » by And1+2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Boogie! wrote:
And1+2 wrote:

DeRozan lovers and Lowry haters are usually one in the same. I would love to get into one of thier minds, if just for the lawls.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#38 » by SaveTheHens » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:26 pm

itsme23 wrote:Amazing trade.

Just wish we didn’t have such a robotic emotionless superstar where nothing could sway his decision.

I don’t think there is or ever has been any other superstar in the league that would have left the raps in that situation the following year aside from Kawhi.

Cannot think of one. Maybe Lebron but even he tried to repeat again the following year.

I don't think he's robotic. He didn't bend under pressure from what he really wanted. In fact that's a great example for any of us in real life, stick to your values, and your goals, don't let people try and put you into a position that you 'have' to make a decision that they want you to make. Respect everyone, but do your own thing. Kawhi's a legend.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#39 » by Raps1103 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm

HOOOMAN wrote:Even without Kawhi this team is moving into a future with cap flexibility, decent prospects, and most importantly a winning culture after winning it all.

Are there people still on this board that think we are better off with DeMar as one of our max players? Is it simply because of loyalty?

IN all seriousness ... can we add the Gasol trade to this title.. there were A LOT of uneducated fans/posters here that thought we shoulda kept JV over Gasol! Kept moving the goal posts after ever series win! It was embarrassing !
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,000

Post#40 » by ItsDanger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm

I firmly believe Demar quit in the 17/18 playoffs vs Cavs. Knew the team would go nowhere until he was traded.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors