ImageImageImageImageImage

Preason Game #4 GT - Best In The World @ BKN - 7:30 ET TSN2

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,124

Re: Preason Game #4 GT - Best In The World @ BKN - 7:30 ET TSN2 

Post#501 » by djsunyc » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm

And1+2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

djsunyc
RealGM

Post#502 » by djsunyc » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:51 pm

thiccc

djsunyc
RealGM

Post#503 » by djsunyc » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#504 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:18 pm

everdiso wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:After the Raps game I flipped over to the Pelicans-Knicks game, and the difference between a well-coached championship Raptors team and a team like the Knicks is night and day. It almost looked like they were playing a different game. The hard work, unselfishness and ball movement, professionalism, and smooth yet methodical way that the Raptors go about their business has all the hallmarks of an elite team.

They're starting to remind me of the late Duncan-era Spurs, where people wouldn't really be talking about them much, but by the end of the season they still would have won between 50-60 games. It wouldn't shock me at all if at the end of the season the Raptors have just consistently played their way to 55 wins. I'll put my prediction at 52.

Were also just more talented...

yeah, people still just don't realize how rare our team full of 3+D talent right through the rotation really is. We are minimum 7 deep (but probably 8 and maybe even 9 with davis and boucher) in guys who can all defend multiple positions and rain 3s. And at least half those guys can initiate and create offense themselves, too.

We're still probably the only team in the league that can say that.

That's why the analysts piss me off. We were a 50 win team before kawhi got here and suddenly just because he's gone were not making the playoffs? Did they say the same about the spurs after Duncan retired? This is not the cavs who were lottery bound before LeBron re signed.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,095

Post#505 » by billy_hoyle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Boogie! wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

yeah, people still just don't realize how rare our team full of 3+D talent right through the rotation really is. We are minimum 7 deep (but probably 8 and maybe even 9 with davis and boucher) in guys who can all defend multiple positions and rain 3s. And at least half those guys can initiate and create offense themselves, too.

That's why the analysts piss me off. We were a 50 win team before kawhi got here and suddenly just because he's gone were not making the playoffs? Did they say the same about the spurs after Duncan retired? This is not the cavs who were lottery bound before LeBron re signed.

Honestly, this opinion pisses me off. We were a 50 win team before Kawhi and a 50 win team with Kawhi because we had all NBA wings on our team for the last half decade. We traded one, and lost the other to FA. That means we don't have an All-NBA calibre wing anymore.

That's what the analysts are making their projections on.

If Siakam fills that usage void and Lowry maintains his form, we will still be a good to great team, but you usually need a great wing to win 50+ in this league.

Let's see how the season plays out.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#506 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#507 » by Ell Curry » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm

everdiso wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:After the Raps game I flipped over to the Pelicans-Knicks game, and the difference between a well-coached championship Raptors team and a team like the Knicks is night and day. It almost looked like they were playing a different game. The hard work, unselfishness and ball movement, professionalism, and smooth yet methodical way that the Raptors go about their business has all the hallmarks of an elite team.

They're starting to remind me of the late Duncan-era Spurs, where people wouldn't really be talking about them much, but by the end of the season they still would have won between 50-60 games. It wouldn't shock me at all if at the end of the season the Raptors have just consistently played their way to 55 wins. I'll put my prediction at 52.

We're still probably the only team in the league that can say tha
t.

I think it's just us at the moment but a 2nd team will join us by the playoffs either via trade or one of their younger players developing the 3pt shot or defensive consistency.

Philly would need the sign of the apocalypse that is Ben Simmons raining 3s.

The Bucks would similarly need Giannis to start hitting 3s.

Clippers are a Lou Williams injury and Zubac benching from maybe being there if you let Harrell's non-shooting slide under the Ibaka exception discussed at the bottom of this post.

Denver would be if Murray becomes a good defender or gets hurt but that seems unlikely (and Plumlee can't shoot either, they'd probably have to trade him and slide Millsap to the 5 to let Porter Jr play more).

Orlando actually would qualify if Augustin could guard bigger players and Fultz could hit 3s but both seem wildly unlikely.

Phoenix actually has the talent offensively with their multi-dimensional role guys in Saric, Bridges, Oubre, Cam and Tyler Johnson and Baynes and Rubio could definitely start hitting 3s a la old Jason Kidd at some point, but Booker and Ayton defending seems unlikely and while Ayton could probably shoot 3s he doesn't really.

As for trades, I think some GM is going to realize we won the title by virtue of surrounding a genuine star entirely with 3 and D types apart from backup center (Ibaka can shoot them obviously but hit 29% in the regular season and 23% in the playoffs).
Where's the D?
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#508 » by everdiso » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

t.

I think it's just us at the moment but a 2nd team will join us by the playoffs either via trade or one of their younger players developing the 3pt shot or defensive consistency.

Clippers are a Lou Williams injury and Zubac benching from maybe being there if you let Harrell's non-shooting slide under the Ibaka exception discussed at the bottom of this post.

Denver would be if Murray becomes a good defender or gets hurt but that seems unlikely (and Plumlee can't shoot either, they'd probably have to trade him and slide Millsap to the 5 to let Porter Jr play more).

Orlando actually would qualify if Augustin could guard bigger players and Fultz could hit 3s but both seem wildly unlikely.

Phoenix actually has the talent offensively with their multi-dimensional role guys in Saric, Bridges, Oubre, Cam and Tyler Johnson and Baynes and Rubio could definitely start hitting 3s a la old Jason Kidd at some point, but Booker and Ayton defending seems unlikely and while Ayton could probably shoot 3s he doesn't really.

As for trades, I think some GM is going to realize we won the title by virtue of surrounding a genuine star entirely with 3 and D types apart from backup center (Ibaka can shoot them obviously but hit 29% in the regular season and 23% in the playoffs).

Thanks for the research! I was too lazy.

Oh, and I didn't want to sell us short in another department either - we also have a stud impact star primary ballhandler on top of all that, too.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nba-players-of-the-last-6-seasons/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Best Players of the last 6yrs

1.Curry 9.5
2.Paul 9.1
3.Kawhi 8.1
4.Harden 7.8
(Jokic 7.5 - only played 3yrs)
5.Draymond 6.5
6.Lebron 6.3
7.Durant 6.0
8.George 5.6
9.Davis 5.4
10.Lowry 5.3
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#509 » by Bigfactsstackz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:41 pm

djsunyc wrote:Image

Who that :oops:
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#510 » by MadDogSHWA » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Bigfactsstackz wrote:
djsunyc wrote:Image

Who that :oops:

Her identity is steeped in mystery. Pascal dares not have her anywhere around the team so that OG can't steal her away.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#511 » by Scott Hall » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Scott Hall wrote: I haven't read or watched any experts opinions on the NBA so far this year
other then stumbling upon Dennis Scott not picking us to make the playoffs and Sam Mitchell picking us 8th
with teams like Chicago and Atlanta ahead of us lol on NBA TV while flipping around.

Yeah I saw them both. Dennis said something like Toronto fans they need to show me first. We just won a championship. There are teams he picked over us who didn't even make the playoffs last year. I thought that was odd. Sam is on the one superstar and a bunch of solid role players message. Since we lost our superstar we're only a team of solid role players. However, Kyle is a perennial all-star. Siakam should make it. With a weak East either Gasol or Ibaka could make it. How many other teams could do that. Philly. Maybe Milwaukee. Maybe Boston. Possibly Detroit. That would put us around 4th - 5th which sounds about right. I wonder if Sam is trying too hard to not seem biased for us like he has in the past.

Yeah I'm also hearing some pundits say to not put to much stock into our 17-5 record without Kawhi? why? that's
a quarter of a season worth of data and we had quality wins with beating a completely healthy Golden State minus
Cousins (I think) on the road in a blow out as the cherry on top.

A lot of them still don't realize how good Siakam is despite how good he was in the playoffs and a lot of them still don't
get how good Lowry is because he isn't flashy making highlight plays on a regular basis. If they don't know that they
won't know about our young guys like OG, FVV, Terrence Davis etc.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#512 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
everdiso wrote:

Honestly, this opinion pisses me off. We were a 50 win team before Kawhi and a 50 win team with Kawhi because we had all NBA wings on our team for the last half decade. We traded one, and lost the other to FA. That means we don't have an All-NBA calibre wing anymore.

That's what the analysts are making their projections on.

If Siakam fills that usage void and Lowry maintains his form, we will still be a good to great team, but you usually need a great wing to win 50+ in this league.

Let's see how the season plays out.

If you honestly think the raptors hvve a chance of missing the playoffs with the roster as constructed I will lump you in as one of the analysts who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. I can guarantee the raptors are making the playoffs and am willing to bet a large sum of money on that idea alone. I am also willing to bet a slightly lesser amount that they wi be a top 5 seed. If you actually follow the team and understand basketball and the state of the other teams in the league and the east specifically, theres no need to take the "wait and see approach" when assessing this team's playoff chances. The only chance this team misses the playoffs is if a guy like Lowry or siakam misses a significant amount of time due to Injury.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#513 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:20 pm

everdiso wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
everdiso wrote:

t.

Oh, and I didn't want to sell us short in another department either - we also have a stud impact star primary ballhandler on top of all that, too.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nba-players-of-the-last-6-seasons/?ex_cid=story-twitter

1.Curry 9.5
2.Paul 9.1
3.Kawhi 8.1
4.Harden 7.8
5.Draymond 6.5
6.Lebron 6.3
7.Durant 6.0
8.George 5.6
9.Davis 5.4
10.Lowry 5.3

So funny how all those guys are considered superstars except Lowry who's apparently a fringe role player. Analysts suck.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#514 » by Mikistan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:38 pm

We the repeat
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#515 » by YelloC » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

You can tell in his expression at the end that he’s thinking if you could have Stanley’s Defence with Matt’s shooting you’d have a complete player.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,509

Post#516 » by S.W.A.N » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 pm

YelloC wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

You can tell in his expression at the end that he’s thinking if you could have Stanley’s Defence with Matt’s shooting you’d have a complete player.

Yep. Nick has been spoiled by having so many good two way players. He not a fan of guys who can only do it on one side of the ball. I'd really like Matt to be the one to figure things out. He'll never be a great defender, but his shooting can be elite. If he can figure out how to defend well enough to stay on the court, he such a weapon.
We the North
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#517 » by TR50 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:01 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Lets face facts here guys.

We're spoiled as hell to be cheering for a team like this.

I watched the entire game last night...and watching our guys play, made me feel like I was watching an actual regular season game. The composure we have, how well coached we are, the plays we make, and the overall game we have is really something. I think we are going to be really damn good. Can't wait for Tuesday!!
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#518 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:36 pm

S.W.A.N wrote:
YelloC wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yep. Nick has been spoiled by having so many good two way players. He not a fan of guys who can only do it on one side of the ball. I'd really like Matt to be the one to figure things out. He'll never be a great defender, but his shooting can be elite. If he can figure out how to defend well enough to stay on the court, he such a weapon.

The league now favours players like Thomas over Stanley. Thomas will be more valuable throughout the course of the season if we find a way to integrate him. If Philly could win with jj starting there's no reason we can't have Thomas in our rotation. Stanley is pretty much a bigger mccaw.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,819

Post#519 » by CoachD » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:33 pm

And1+2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Everyone on the bench is on their feet and supporting... and then there's sour ass Stanley

What is this dude's problem?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#520 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Boogie! wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

1.Curry 9.5
2.Paul 9.1
3.Kawhi 8.1
4.Harden 7.8
5.Draymond 6.5
6.Lebron 6.3
7.Durant 6.0
8.George 5.6
9.Davis 5.4
10.Lowry 5.3

So funny how all those guys are considered superstars except Lowry who's apparently a fringe role player. Analysts suck.

its true, Lowry's been extremely underrated in general. but people don't watch enough of the Raptors to begin with. Not an american team, so they don't care. american analysts seem to be more focused on american teams - i'm sure if you freshly brough a whole cast of european analysts and replaced the american ones - Raptors and Lowry would have been one of the more talked teams in the last 4 years or so.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to Toronto Raptors