ImageImageImageImageImage

Is there anybody still regretting the DeMar trade?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Re: Is there anybody still regretting the DeMar trade? 

Post#41 » by Raps1103 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Wait... are you asking if this team would be better today with Derozan on it.. at no trade cost. Because that’s pretty much a given.

Our team right now, as is... would not be better with Dero on it ! I’m not a Dero hater... but the hole he creates on Defence is huge! And the the volume shooting would hurt our offence! I think he’s a fantastic human being .. but I wouldn’t take him back for a 2RP
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#42 » by Wo1verine » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Nope good person but not someone you build around.
BrunoSkull
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#43 » by tor1234567 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Even if we got bounced in the first round by Orlando... I still wouldn't regret that trade.
vbmeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 735

Post#44 » by vbmeer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Masai was constantly trying to get rid of in-prime Raptors "legend" Demar Derozan, whether it be for 3 months of Paul George, for Thunder's Oladipo/Sabonis, for a top 8-12 first round pick, or what he eventually traded him with and for.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#45 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:03 pm

If we didn't win and Kawhi left, probably?
Credits to Jstock12
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#46 » by Badonkadonk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:10 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:If we didn't win and Kawhi left, probably?

Definitely not. Masai essentially gave up a piece of a core that had capped out in the playoffs and that, at best had a 2 year shelf life remaining before a veteran sell-off. He traded that 2 year window for 1 year of uncapped potential.

Yes, the best case scenario happened (i.e. Kawhi = title), but taking that shot was a no-brainer from the start.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#47 » by howlin mad axer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:11 pm

No but I'll be honest I regretted the trade all the way to the playoffs last season.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#48 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Raps1103 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Wait... are you asking if this team would be better today with Derozan on it.. at no trade cost. Because that’s pretty much a given.

Our team right now, as is... would not be better with Dero on it ! I’m not a Dero hater... but the hole he creates on Defence is huge! And the the volume shooting would hurt our offence! I think he’s a fantastic human being .. but I wouldn’t take him back for a 2RP

Lol. I give up on this place. Powell and McCaw or whoever are now both better than derozan. Ok.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#49 » by Raps1103 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:

Lol. I give up on this place. Powell and McCaw or whoever are now both better than derozan. Ok.

Go and give up, I’m sure we’ll all be fine !! Nowhere did I say that either are better players .. but it’s fun to make things up eh? Tho, they are both insanely better defenders than DeMar !! Which is what are team is.. an elite defensive team .. if you haven’t figured that out.. then yea... you should definitely give up on basketball all together ! There’s such a thing as fit .. not everything is PPG... DeRozan DOES NOT FIT WHAT WE ARE DOING HERE IN TORONTO! I would think that was obvious to the long time fans :banghead:

He also can’t hit 3s just sayin
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#50 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:28 pm

ItsDanger wrote:I firmly believe Demar quit in the 17/18 playoffs vs Cavs. Knew the team would go nowhere until he was traded.

That makes no sense considering how butthurt he was when it happened. He may have quit but it's because he sucked and he just knew mentally thtt he wasn't good enough to carry the team the way we needed him to in that series, the way kawhi did against Philly. DeMar was the eoitome of the raptors teams until last year, great regular season player, too flawed to win in the playoffs because his sterngths were easily countered by the elite teams and physical defense.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#51 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:30 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
And1+2 wrote:
More like a filter thread, because anyone who still thinks that needs to get filtered out of this forum.

I'm more disappointed that we still hanve Lowry haters. Imo those people don't belong here.

I think it's because they have hated Lowry for so long that their brain has become hardwired to hate him :lol:.

For years all signs have pointed to Lowry being the engine, the teams best player, not only through the eye test but also with analytics and somehow the DeMar fans deluded themselves into thinking otherwise. Funny because all the analysts started hopping on the DeMar train as well. Same ones who say we're missing the playoffs this year. Like I said just a bunch of people thwt have no idea what's actually happening.

Then they start acting surprised when we still win without DeMar or kawhi. Watch... I predict this year siakam is gonna get all the creiit tho while Lowry still plays the humble leader role who everyone hates.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#52 » by raptor jesus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:34 pm

I assume this is a facetious thread, but I'll answer in earnest. I respect Demar for many reason - but the team was routinely better with him sitting on the bench. So no.
Senor Waffles
Senior
And1: 1,891

Post#53 » by Senor Waffles » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 pm

I hope not. And I'm a top 10% DD stan - wanted him on draft night, ran around the house when we drafted him and have always thought he was a top class dude.

You don't argue with a 'ship, who would have ever thought we would win one? And DDs doing just fine himself
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#54 » by yellowknifer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Nurse is so far superior to Casey. Decent chance we still win a chip IMO. But it's all good. Better off featuring Pascal more now IMO. Worked out long term nicely for a lot of reasons.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,228

Post#55 » by TheAlchemist » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:49 pm

The one for one trade of Demar for Kawhi and Green was such a damn steal, that even in the whirlwind of that year, we won it hands down.

But forget the Purtle + DeRozan price, or about what we got in return.

Nobody really talks about what the byproduct of the trade is.

All our core young guys learnt from a superstar in Kawhi. They saw first hand what it takes to be elite.
They saw what it takes to be a champion. Our younger guys all hardened in the playoffs with guys getting exposure to the ECF and NBA finals.

I really believe us winning the chip has enabled another gear in a guy like FVV, Siakim and hell even Norm and OG. They just know what itll take and work hard towards it.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#56 » by macNcheese3 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:57 pm

No regrets what’s so ever. Got to see my favourite team win a championship. Still sort of surreal.
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#57 » by Lukeem » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Probably already been said but ... obvious answer.... one person

Spoiler:
Demar
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,891

Post#58 » by ItsDanger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Boogie! wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:I firmly believe Demar quit in the 17/18 playoffs vs Cavs. Knew the team would go nowhere until he was traded.

That makes no sense considering how butthurt he was when it happened. He may have quit but it's because he sucked and he just knew mentally thtt he wasn't good enough to carry the team the way we needed him to in that series, the way kawhi did against Philly. DeMar was the eoitome of the raptors teams until last year, great regular season player, too flawed to win in the playoffs because his sterngths were easily countered by the elite teams and physical defense.

He may have looked butthurt on the outside but he was defeated mentally. He was best suited as a #2 scoring option and his defense was trash. And he knows it. Thats why he quit, he knew he wasn't good enough.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,404

Post#59 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 pm

No. In all seriousness I would have traded him straight up for Danny Green. It so happens that Kawhi was a heck of throw-in :)
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#60 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Huge regrets. One chip with Kawhi, but possibly multiple titles with Demar.

a perfect swan song. now you can retire undefeated.

Return to Toronto Raptors