ImageImageImageImageImage

Ibaka is the most underrated player on our team

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Re: Ibaka is the most underrated player on our team 

Post#21 » by ReaLiez » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:23 pm

I like him starting next to Spicy P and have Gasol off the bench in the regular season. And then for the play-offs switch it up with Gasol starting and have the whole NBA have to adjust their defense for us
Justice
MikeMars
Junior
And1: 151

Post#22 » by MikeMars » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:28 pm

[instagram][/instagram]Yeah he really upped his game last season going from an athletic big guy I wouldnt consider a baller to a seriouse threat anywhere on the court. If he was on any other team with lots of coverage hed be a household name by now. Without Serge i dont think theres a championship.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,026

Post#23 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:29 pm

ReaLiez wrote:I like him starting next to Spicy P and have Gasol off the bench in the regular season. And then for the play-offs switch it up with Gasol starting and have the whole NBA have to adjust their defense for us

I think it comes down to match ups...if we are going up against Embiid I'd start Gasol...but lots of teams start guys who are really PFs at Center..against those teams I'd start ibaka
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#24 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:57 pm

He was having a borderline all star season before the Gasol trade. As much as everyone is overlooking the Raptors, they were and still are a very deep and talented team
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,347

Post#25 » by MadDogSHWA » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:03 pm

I love bench players that can play multiple positions. He and Gasol work fine together. This allows us to give him starters minutes split between the 4 and 5. He's going to be a big part of our season. Especially if he keeps shooting 3's with confidence.

I think we all thought we had so much shooting to make up for with the loss of Kawhi and Danny but man was it raining last night. Our offense is going to create great shots all year.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#26 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Ibaka has looked like a much better player since Nurse took over and stopped the whole “stretch 4” business

He’s probably one of the most consistent scorers on the team and a great presence both on the court and off it.

I think it makes a lot of sense to keep him as the C going forward for the next couple seasons. It’s not easy to find a big man that can stretch the floor and defend and for a team that has Siakam as its focal point that is important.

Gasol is probably better as trade bait given his age and probably higher value as an asset.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,259

Post#27 » by mrdressup » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:54 pm

He's been reliably great and he looks very enthused. He's also being given the ball exactly where he needs to be to score it. It's when he tries to get creative that it gets ugly. Perfect big for us when you think about it. Fits in nicely with Gasol and Siakam.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#28 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm

yeah he has been terrific no question. definitely underrated. of course it depends what Nurse chooses for our starting lineup but it in at least some scenarios we would have Fred and Serge coming off the bench, which is pretty incredible.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,421

Post#29 » by SFour » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:25 pm

mtcan wrote:Serge will be traded at the deadline.......to......the......
LA Clippers.

Clippers don't have anything to offer in terms of draft picks but perhaps they do have Mifondu Kabengele...27th overall pick in this past draft...C of the future perhaps? He is from Burlington and has an African sounding name...how is he not a Masai Ujiri kind of prospect?

I wonder if Masai has a grudge against the Clippers for doing all that stalking **** last season with Kawhi....I have a feeling he doesn't want to help them by giving them any vets.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#30 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm

When he stays within his limits and plays to his strengths he is a great player
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#31 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Underrated goes to the guy that gets the least amount of fanfare and even hate despite contributing a lot and while ibaka has had his ups and downs with us he's not the most underrated.

That award goes to Norman Powell.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#32 » by howlin mad axer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:40 pm

The Raptors gotta start Ibaka at PF, alongside Gasol at C, then move SIakam to SF, Powell to SG and Lowry at PG.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#33 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 pm

He looks really good. Like, even better than last year. He's come into camp in great shape.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#34 » by Red_Claw » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 pm

His motor is bad. he takes plays off then tries to make up for it by taking bad shots. When he's on though, he's a great asset to have.

My problem is he's in a contract year he did this same thing last time with Orlando. He's playing for his next contract. Im certain he'll have a better statistical season this year than last and the next.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#35 » by deeps6x » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 pm

DJ_RnC wrote:Remember when people were mad that we traded T Ross for him? :lol:

He does make some boneheaded plays but was a huge X-factor during our championship run and will be an even bigger piece this year.

Let’s go back to the particulars of this trade though. Ujiri acquired Ibaka in what many referred to as a heist. I could not agree more. It was a heist then and it is a heist now. When news of the trade first broke, many assumed the Raptors parted ways with Ross, Patrick Patterson, a first-round pick, and maybe one of Siakam or Poeltl (it’s important to remember that this was when Patterson was good and Siakam was not Spicy P). When we learned it was only for Ross and a draft pick, my mind was blown. Ujiri had done it again!

The assets the team gave up to acquire Ibaka were minimal. Sure, the Raptors gave up a 2017 first-round draft pick but they had two first-round selections that year anyways. The Magic, also, received the worst of the two picks: meaning Toronto selected at 23 while the Magic selected at 25. With the 23rd pick, the Raptors famously selected OG Anunoby while the Magic drafted Anzejs Pasecniks (no, I did not make this name up). Suffice to say, the Magic fired their GM not too long after.

from this: https://lifeinrepeat.com/two-years-later-re-examining-the-serge-ibaka-terrence-ross-trade-fd00acebb65b

So basically Ross for Ibaka, and we were still able to draft OG with the pick we kept. Yup, a Masai heist for sure.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
DJ_RnC
Analyst
And1: 5,231

Post#36 » by DJ_RnC » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:48 pm

deeps6x wrote:
DJ_RnC wrote:Remember when people were mad that we traded T Ross for him? :lol:

He does make some boneheaded plays but was a huge X-factor during our championship run and will be an even bigger piece this year.

Let’s go back to the particulars of this trade though. Ujiri acquired Ibaka in what many referred to as a heist. I could not agree more. It was a heist then and it is a heist now. When news of the trade first broke, many assumed the Raptors parted ways with Ross, Patrick Patterson, a first-round pick, and maybe one of Siakam or Poeltl (it’s important to remember that this was when Patterson was good and Siakam was not Spicy P). When we learned it was only for Ross and a draft pick, my mind was blown. Ujiri had done it again!

The assets the team gave up to acquire Ibaka were minimal. Sure, the Raptors gave up a 2017 first-round draft pick but they had two first-round selections that year anyways. The Magic, also, received the worst of the two picks: meaning Toronto selected at 23 while the Magic selected at 25. With the 23rd pick, the Raptors famously selected OG Anunoby while the Magic drafted Anzejs Pasecniks (no, I did not make this name up). Suffice to say, the Magic fired their GM not too long after.

from this: https://lifeinrepeat.com/two-years-later-re-examining-the-serge-ibaka-terrence-ross-trade-fd00acebb65b

So basically Ross for Ibaka, and we were still able to draft OG with the pick we kept. Yup, a Masai heist for sure.

And the extra pick came from the Vasquez trade with the Bucks, another Masai heist.

Vasquez, Ross for Powell, OG, Ibaka

We're lucky to have this man.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#37 » by Mak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Hopefully he can get his 3pt % above 35% this year. Crazy that he only shot 29% last year, he is better than that.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#38 » by Mak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Red_Claw wrote:His motor is bad. he takes plays off then tries to make up for it by taking bad shots. When he's on though, he's a great asset to have.

My problem is he's in a contract year he did this same thing last time with Orlando. He's playing for his next contract. Im certain he'll have a better statistical season this year than last and the next.

We lost Kawhi who would play some PF and scored a lot. There will be a lot more shots for him and more playing time. Of course he will have better statistical season this year.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#39 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Prediction: Gasol gets moved at the deadline and Ibaka is re-signed in the offseason.

Siakam / Ibaka continue to be the frontcourt pairing for the Raptors.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#40 » by Metallikid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:55 am

Zeno wrote:He is absolutely a really important player. I still think one of him or Gasol gets traded.

on a side note, I hope I'm wrong but every year there is a guy who shoots incredibly in the preseason and then goes ice cold to start the season and the opposite.

Serge, Norm, 2022 & 2024 unprotected first round picks for Blake Griffin.

Lowry/VanVleet/Siakam/Griffin/Gasol

Repeat.

Return to Toronto Raptors