ImageImageImageImageImage

Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me"

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Re: Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me" 

Post#61 » by tor1234567 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:23 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:
tor1234567 wrote:The Orlando series goes 7 games with Casey as coach.

The Philly series would eliminate the Raptors in six games at most.

Yup. Agree 100%

Also the Bucks series would be unfathomable and we REALLY wouldn't of pulled off the box and 1 against GSW.

Casey just simply was an organizational development guy. He didn't have the acumen to be a championship coach. Nothing wrong with that, just don't take credit from Nurse.

LOL.

Oh man. I don't even wanna think about what would have happened if we met the Bucks with Casey as coach.

Guaranteed sweep, with at least two brutally embarrassing blowout losses.

Essentially, it would have been exactly how Casey ends his playoff runs here in the past (and this year with Detroit too).
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#62 » by team edward » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Danny1616 wrote:Casey is a good guy, and is a good coach with many flaws as a coach.

His main issue was always rotations. What set Nurse apart from Casey is that he knew how to adjust and wasn't bound to the same line-ups and rotation minutes every single game.

Exactly. While I'm sure Casey would have loved to have added Kawhi, Gasol,Green and FVV Sr. to his playoff teams, something makes me doubt that he would have pulled out the Box-and-1 defence on Curry.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#63 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Casey was better than most, if not all, coaches who came before him. The bar wasn't very high.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#64 » by Dalek » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 pm

I don't know what I dislike more:

1. The American media saying we only won because Kawhi carried the team to the Championship.

2. Dwane Casey implying he could have won the title if he had Kawhi, Danny Green, and Marc Gasol.

Nick Nurse won an almost record number of games with an unprecedented amount of rest for players, and an almost complete lack of chemistry going in. I remember it being a week out from the playoffs, and this team had hardly played together. I will say it was a miracle that Toronto won and in no small way it was a team and coaching effort.

To Casey's credit, Detroit played well in the second half. As always, he rode his main horse (Blake Griffin) until he collapsed, and then he had zero answers about getting swept again. How many sweeps does this man have to his name now?
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#65 » by Joker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Casey's fundamental flaw isn't his rotations or x's and o's or lack of adjustments --- it's his ego, which causes a glaring lack of self-accountability and self-awareness. He doesn't see/acknowledge his mistakes and correct them.

He takes credit for successes, but when met with failure or losing, it's either bad luck, lack of roster talent, the opponent being simply too great, or the players' lack of effort/execution. He never deserves blame.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,160

Post#66 » by Tofubeque » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:43 pm

He’s going to remember even MORE reporters’ names this season
props Turbozone
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#67 » by Mikistan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:51 pm

So glad this clown isn't our coach anymore

He wasted my prime
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,908

Post#68 » by lolwut » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Red_Claw wrote:Are "Casey Haters" even a thing anymore? Isin't that just the majority now? "Hater" is an obvious overreaction cause I mean i can respect some of the things Casey provided and accomplished but he had GLARING holes in his coaching and it was obvious he was never going to win the Raptors a championship.

So thanks Casey for your time here but do not take any credit for the Raptors championship.

Also, its so Casey to feel he's vindicated by the Raptors Championship. He's incapable of looking at his own flaws as a coach.

You're only a "hater" if the act of hating on something is not a popular opinion.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,847

Post#69 » by rocky_da_best » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:59 pm

When will this guy STFU about our team?
Suga2Panda
Rookie
And1: 670

Post#70 » by Suga2Panda » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Obviously Casey learned a lot from the BC school of how to take credit for someone else's success.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#71 » by Alfred » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:14 pm

maternal85 wrote:Another reason I'm happy we won the title. You can't talk crap about us or throw shade. You must respect us. If we didn't win the title, Casey would be clowning us. We all know deep down Casey is not happy we won the title and wished nothing but failure upon us, especially towards nurse. We also know the reason him and Derozan didn't talk about us the raptors, is because we won the title. Can't talk crap about a team that just won the title. Demar even said it hurt seeing pics of the parade. Lastly you can still feel Casey taking indirect shots at us. He's a bitter clown.

Why are you conflating DeMar and Casey? DeMar has said nothing but good things and has been totally honest about the Raptors since he left. He’s been a gentleman. Casey on the other hand has been petty and vengeful, even towards Raptor fans.

DeMar saying it hurt seeing parade pics is because he wishes he was a part of it.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,486

Post#72 » by Duffman100 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Same offense, same defense.

Lol, delusional
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,305

Post#73 » by TOStateofMind » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:35 pm

He’s probably fuming in reality lol. Of course he’s never gonna outright say he is bitter but it’s been obvious in those quotes. Not to mention he hasn’t once brought up nurse says it all.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#74 » by Jcity08 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:36 pm

I honestly don't know how someone whose watched all the years of the Casey system and watch Nurses system through the regular season & playoffs, and come away with the thought "If Casey had the same roster, the results would be the same".

Like Nurse & Casey are the same or that the Head Coaching position is easily interchangeable. If the former was the case, there would have been no reason to fire Casey, if the latter, why even spend the money the team spends for a Head Coach, just get the cheapest coach in the market and be done with it.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,553

Post#75 » by VanWest82 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Red_Claw wrote:Are "Casey Haters" even a thing anymore? Isin't that just the majority now? "Hater" is an obvious overreaction cause I mean i can respect some of the things Casey provided and accomplished but he had GLARING holes in his coaching and it was obvious he was never going to win the Raptors a championship.

So thanks Casey for your time here but do not take any credit for the Raptors championship.

Also, its so Casey to feel he's vindicated by the Raptors Championship. He's incapable of looking at his own flaws as a coach.

I think Casey deserves credit for helping to instill a culture of work ethic that permeates the organization even today. He also had a hand in Lowry's development which even Kyle has acknowledged. Those things absolutely contributed to the championship. Not giving that man his due would be as incorrect as Casey feeling like his coaching tactics were somehow vindicated.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#76 » by Red_Claw » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:49 pm

VanWest82 wrote:

I think Casey deserves credit for helping to instill a culture of work ethic that permeates the organization even today. He also had a hand in Lowry's development which even Kyle has acknowledged. Those things absolutely contributed to the championship. Not giving that man his due would be as incorrect as Casey feeling like his coaching tactics were somehow vindicated.

Its my right to acknowledge his accomplishments while he was head coach....which i have.

But he has no right to credit himself for the Raptors championship. You can analyze the facts all day, he wasn't the coach and and was not affiliated with the team at the time.

If we lost in the first round, its like if Casey said " See, I was never the problem".
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,001

Post#77 » by raptor jesus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Casey should feel a sense of pride, he definitely had a hand in all of this. But to say that the team ran the same offence and defence is grossly disingenuous. Of course, I don't expect Casey to say as much or even recognize it himself, but Nurse is so much more creative on both sides of the ball - and that was also a key factor in getting over the hump.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#78 » by Asif16 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Lmao he really thinks he was part of this championship run.

What a douche. We wouldve lost to Orlando in Rd 1 if that clown was the coach
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#79 » by Yeezus_ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Casey's core fundamental belief resides in structure and steadiness. If a starter got hurt, he would rather use a 3rd stringer in the starting lineup to maintain the cohesiveness of the 2nd unit. It helps in the regular season. He would rather keep the stability in lineups. That in itself is a flaw that gets exposed in the playoffs when players struggle and opponents heavily gameplan. What happens then is that you're forced to put a 5 man unit out there who hasn't played much together OR you stick with the same lineups that worked in the regular season but isn't doing well in the playoffs. It clearly didnt work regardless.

Tldr: He cared too much about regular season success.
Yeezy SZN approaching
AT17
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#80 » by AT17 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:32 pm

So Nick Nurse led our offensive coordination duties on a franchise leading 59 games in a year under Casey. He takes over the team and we still maintain our defensive identity (2nd in the league). I can agree to alittle bit of that, maybe 20% attributed to his success.

So I'll defend Casey. He's right, technically some of the team offense and defense is the same. Except, for the most part that garnered victories, it was attributed to Nick Nurse, so its a moot point anyway since he shouldn't even be credited that much for his last season. If he remained as Coach, he would still would've had to rely on Nick Nurse to draw up X's and O's for our offensive game plan, and sure as hell would've kept Ibaka playing at the 4 and other rotations etched in stone.

I will say this though - this pettiness after he left is just cringeworthy. Demar who had his heart etched in to Toronto found it within himself to move on and focus on his team and career rather than look back. Casey is a reigning coach of the year before leaving Toronto. He had offers from other teams. He went to a so called Championship pedigree in Detroit.

If his situation and accomplishments are really up to task, and he was so confident about his coaching stature, he wouldn't feel so insecure about making amends with his past.

Return to Toronto Raptors