ImageImageImageImageImage

Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Re: Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me" 

Post#101 » by djsunyc » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm

v1n5anity wrote:He didn't even acknowledge Nick Nurse. I bet Casey wouldn't have thought of that box-and-1 Nurse pulled out in the Finals. 8-)

i think casey and nurse only have a superficial professional relationship. i don't think they particularly get along at a friendship level.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: 

Post#102 » by Boogie! » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:05 am

canada_dry wrote:His lack of adjustments alone in a playoff series would have cost us.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

You mean like playing fvv all Philly series even tho he did absolutely nothing and the match ups obviously are the reason he struggled...

I think Casey is super petty but I hate how people act like nurse is some genius that fixed all Casey's mistakes...

My negative opinion on Casey has more to do with this idea that he's so classy and a nice guy, when in fact a lot of what he's shown has been pettiness... If he was so nice he would've congratulated nurse and Masai but instead he basically threw them under the bus, and he still continues to make it seem like he would've done the exact same thing... He never acknowledges his own mistakes and thats a problem as a coach.

But tbh, maybe he would've won a championship with that same roster... I don't see nurse as being some supe genius innovator that everyone's making him seem to be... Let's not forget he was also part of the Casey raptors squad that got swept all those years... There's two sides o every story and I still feel like there's underlying beef between the two.

Also Casey acts like he's all about karma I wonder how he's gonna feel in a couple of years if detroit still hasn't progressed into a contender, and the pistons need a scapegoat and end up firing him. What's he gonna say then?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,412

Post#103 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:06 am

Read on Twitter
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,392

Post#104 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:40 am

Matty wrote:He is right though. It does vindicate his methods. We probably could have still won a title with Casey because it's not like Nurse was doing anything special unique to himself outside of being more open to different combinations. We brought 3 veteran players with championship/deep playoffs experience. That made a much bigger difference than the coaching change.

Casey would have put CJ Miles (provided we didn't trade him) on Giannis.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#105 » by will » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 am

So...more rock pounding?
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#106 » by Boogie! » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:23 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Matty wrote:He is right though. It does vindicate his methods. We probably could have still won a title with Casey because it's not like Nurse was doing anything special unique to himself outside of being more open to different combinations. We brought 3 veteran players with championship/deep playoffs experience. That made a much bigger difference than the coaching change.

Nick nurse was having cj miles guard 4s all last season prior to him sucking ass and subsequently getting benched and traded.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#107 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 am

This is exactly why he isn’t a good coach. He’s far too stubborn, almost brainwashed at this point. Casey would’ve lost that Sixers series without any doubt, he would’ve made zero adjustments. We’re talking about a guy who had the most puzzling rotations in the first place.

People saying he’s one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. Why should that be the standard? It’s like saying you’re the smartest person in jail. You can’t just settle for that because we’ve had a poor lineage of mediocre coaches

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,760

Post#108 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:29 am

Nobody is sitting around crying in spilled milk about what happened, what could’ve happened. Everybody has got to move on, and move on to the next phase.

Not quite nobody. There's still half this board that can't let anything go.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#109 » by Matty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:01 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

Actually he would have put Kawhi on him from the start which could have led to a sweep of that series.
DonMega
General Manager
And1: 8,689

Post#110 » by DonMega » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:01 am

I hate Casey so much, was waiting years for his firing. I’ll never forget how he put cj miles on lebron and cj got roasted 4 possessions in a row and Casey just kept him on lebron.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,508

Post#111 » by SFour » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:16 am

Gives no props to Nurse and actually tries to take all the credit for the offense and defense....lmao Casey is still a joke. He should be bowing down to Masai for extending his contract after getting swept by the Wizards.
Baarignani
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#112 » by Baarignani » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 am

By the reaction you would think Casey banged every Raptor fans mom and girlfriend.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#113 » by JYD » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 am

“What it did, it reinforced what I was I doing. And that group took it over the hump and finished it. The foundation, what we were building, how I was building it, was good. Running the same offense, same defense, same philosophy, same things we built there for seven years, so it enthused me.

Every time Casey opens his mouth he proves his classlessness and how right Masai was to can him. It's an obvious insult to Nurse. There's always one backhand in there.

It doesn't matter how much of it is reality or not, it's the kind of thing you let other people say about you.

Regardless of any of this, I don't envy Casey. That Detroit roster has zero present or future.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#114 » by SHFT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Boogie! wrote:
canada_dry wrote:His lack of adjustments alone in a playoff series would have cost us.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

You mean like playing fvv all Philly series even tho he did absolutely nothing and the match ups obviously are the reason he struggled...

I think Casey is super petty but I hate how people act like nurse is some genius that fixed all Casey's mistakes...

My negative opinion on Casey has more to do with this idea that he's so classy and a nice guy, when in fact a lot of what he's shown has been pettiness... If he was so nice he would've congratulated nurse and Masai but instead he basically threw them under the bus, and he still continues to make it seem like he would've done the exact same thing... He never acknowledges his own mistakes and thats a problem as a coach.

But tbh, maybe he would've won a championship with that same roster... I don't see nurse as being some supe genius innovator that everyone's making him seem to be... Let's not forget he was also part of the Casey raptors squad that got swept all those years... There's two sides o every story and I still feel like there's underlying beef between the two.

Also Casey acts like he's all about karma I wonder how he's gonna feel in a couple of years if detroit still hasn't progressed into a contender, and the pistons need a scapegoat and end up firing him. What's he gonna say then?
Except sticking with Freddy proved to be right. Proper coach knows which players to ride or die with. Also I believe Mccaw was injured in that series.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#115 » by SHFT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Matty wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Actually he would have put Kawhi on him from the start which could have led to a sweep of that series.
Like CJ miles on Kevin Love lolololol

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,389

Post#116 » by Ranger One » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:This guy still doesn't get it. If Casey were the coach, we would have lost against Philly, there's no doubt in my mind.

He is a great regular season coach. He's all about consistency, preparation, and work hard. But come the playoffs, you need to be savvy enough to coach within a game and play chess which Nurse was masterful of.

That's why we beat the Bucks in my opinion. Milwaukee was over-achieving all year and it seems to me that Budenholzer just stuck with what was working since they were winning. That's exactly what Casey did; find a way to win regular season games and stick with it. This of course comes back to bite you in the playoffs because you don't have enough options to go to when making adjustments, you can only try harder at what you're doing (Fred literally said this).

Meanwhile, Nurse explained as early as training camp that he would do a lot of experimenting to have more tools in the toolbox for the playoffs (he blamed the lack of tools as a reason for prior post-season failure). He admitted that a lot wouldn't work and at some points said that they might even lose games, but explained that nobody was going to overreact about that. As we saw in the playoffs, Nurse and the team were able to make adjustments that eventually our opponents could not match.

Dwane Casey and Mike Babcock sure sound alike.

This is why the Leafs will continue to be first round exits for as long as Babcock is there. They have all the talent in the world but are literally stuck with the white version of Casey.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#117 » by dalton749 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 pm

This is the same guy who started third stringers when starters got injured in order to not mess up the bench chemistry. Then when it came playoff time it took him multiple games to figure out that it wasn’t going to cut it before making adjustments.

This team was woefully unprepared going into the playoffs every year with Casey which was mind boggling when it was clear we would win 50+ games yet no effort was made to experiment with different lineups. If you get to the playoffs and have to play a line up that has never seen time together before you should be fired on the spot. There’s 82 damn games to prepare.
DonMega
General Manager
And1: 8,689

Post#118 » by DonMega » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Ranger One wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:
That's why we beat the Bucks in my opinion. Milwaukee was over-achieving all year and it seems to me that Budenholzer just stuck with what was working since they were winning. That's exactly what Casey did; find a way to win regular season games and stick with it. This of course comes back to bite you in the playoffs because you don't have enough options to go to when making adjustments, you can only try harder at what you're doing (Fred literally said this).

Meanwhile, Nurse explained as early as training camp that he would do a lot of experimenting to have more tools in the toolbox for the playoffs (he blamed the lack of tools as a reason for prior post-season failure). He admitted that a lot wouldn't work and at some points said that they might even lose games, but explained that nobody was going to overreact about that. As we saw in the playoffs, Nurse and the team were able to make adjustments that eventually our opponents could not match.

This is why the Leafs will continue to be first round exits for as long as Babcock is there. They have all the talent in the world but are literally stuck with the white version of Casey.

I agree with this, I’m hoping they kinda flop this year and he gets canned. Dubas wanted to can him last year but shannahan stepped in and stopped it. Egocock is brutal.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,389

Post#119 » by Ranger One » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 pm

DonMega wrote:
Ranger One wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

I agree with this, I’m hoping they kinda flop this year and he gets canned. Dubas wanted to can him last year but shannahan stepped in and stopped it. Egocock is brutal.

Oh you better believe this is his last chance. There's a lot of pressure on the leafs this season to finally make it out of the first round given the huge contracts they've given out to guys like Marner and Matthews and the multitude of roster changes they went through over the summer. If they flop again, Babcock is as good as gone. All the Toronto media already want his head on a stick.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,412

Post#120 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Ranger One wrote:
DonMega wrote:
Ranger One wrote:

Oh you better believe this is his last chance. There's a lot of pressure on the leafs this season to finally make it out of the first round given the huge contracts they've given out to guys like Marner and Matthews and the multitude of roster changes they went through over the summer. If they flop again, Babcock is as good as gone. All the Toronto media already want his head on a stick.

I actually think they get out of the first round just by having a subpar season and getting one of the wildcard spots and result dont play boston anymore.

Return to Toronto Raptors