ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,372

Re: OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA 

Post#421 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:33 am

Read on Twitter
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,179

Post#422 » by aq_ua » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:40 am

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Meanwhile, VPN subscriptions went through the roof?
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#423 » by blanko » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:55 am

E-Balla wrote:
blanko wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Because even including the fact that their governor is elected people in Hong Kong have more rights than Puerto Ricans AND Americans?

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new

And for economic freedom specifically they're #1 in the world:
https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Most human right indexes that separate Hong Kong from China show they have more rights than we do. What good does a vote do if you have less rights outside of voting? Like for all the criticism of China here, how many people do you think American police would've killed by now if we had a race riot that lasted that long and got that violent? Sometimes it's easier to point fingers than to look at ourselves. Now none of this means what China's doing is good, just means that China isn't some boogeyman way worse than the US.
China is committing genocide now on muslims. What the Israelis did to palestinians is going on times 2 in china.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

We're discussing Hong Kong. Mainland China has separate issues completely.
And hong kong can turn into the mainland any time.

DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#424 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 am

Surprised no one is talking about this yet. This is a very big deal for any company operating in China.

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2019/09/chinas-new-cybersecurity-program-no-place-to-hide.html
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#425 » by MadGrinch » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:35 pm

blanko wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
That's all well and good, but, again, that is not what he was doing and what people were criticizing. If he framed it like you just did he might be considered differently right now, but he most decidedly did not just say his opinion is as valid as Morey's or anyone elses. He did the opposite.

And if his knowledge is as great as you claim it is, then show it when you enter the breach, don't puff up your chest about your great and infinite wisdom vs. the inferior knowledge of others and expect that to be sufficient. He showed us nothing about that supposed great knowledge, but he sure made a lot of pretense about it. That my friend is straight up azzhole behavior. If you see it differently, then so be it.

you know if you are the kind of person who takes umbrage at behavior rather than the message so be it .

i personally didn't take it that way and probably would be more understanding even if i did ,I saw him as speaking up for people (himself included) that were put in a hostile environment unnecessarily.

i have personally been in a situation where i'm in a foreign country and people don't have best feelings about where i've come from , its not the best situation to find yourself in .

and my situation was no where near what Lebron James clearly went through but i can empathize because i've been in this country and see how we can treat people who our govt. and citizens treat as an enemy even when they personally did nothing to deserve that treatment.

and I'll keep mentioning fighting for Hong Kong for rights we don't personally as a nation enjoy comes off as silly to me and wasted energy . I need people to explain the urgency that Hong Kong's rights come before actual Americans in the same boat?

Puerto Rico is in a similar situation as are most US territories ...PR has been in this situation for over 100 years ,

Why should any American feel pressure to speak up for Hong Kong before their own Americans?

which is it just feels like manufactured outrage .
Puerto rico has the right to self determination. Independence, statehood, or keep thenstatus quo.

Hong kong doesnt have any of those options.

Puerto rico has the right to elect its governors

Hong kongs governors are appointed by Beijing.

I mean how are these two situations even comparable?

not really true ,

in 2017 PR voted 97% for statehood...so the choice is clearly not theirs in a vote that had a relatively weak turnout , in 2012 61% voted for statehood with about 80% of the eligible voters taking part.

PR elects their governors , but not and Representative, nor senators or presidents

Hong Kong does vote in some of their representatives

Hong Kongs governors between 1841- 1997 were british appointments by the british monarchy .

so..they've never had universal suffrage ...not even under previous regimes.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#426 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 am

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy veteran Martin Lee believes ‘democracy will arrive in China’ - Very informative interview

https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong/3004716/hong-kongs-pro-democracy-veteran-martin-lee-believes-democracy-will-arrive
blanko
Starter

Post#427 » by blanko » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 am

https://youtu.be/g9QIETD4QV0

These asians never had true democracy how dare they demand for freedom?

DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#428 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:55 pm

blanko wrote:https://youtu.be/g9QIETD4QV0

DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#429 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk[/quote][/quote]
blanko
Starter

Post#430 » by blanko » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:59 am

tuna108 wrote:
tuna108 wrote:
blanko wrote:https://youtu.be/g9QIETD4QV0

Beijing ‘supports’ Hong Kong in banning activist Joshua Wong from upcoming local election

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/30/beijing-supports-hong-kong-banning-activist-joshua-wong-upcoming-local-election/
This kid is going to get the noble peace prize some day. For those interested watch the documentary "Joshua " on netflix. he was 14 when he started. amazing.
Blah blah, they never had democracy what makes them think they deserve it now?

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#431 » by matchman » Wed Nov 6, 2019 2:26 am

It's been some time since last update but no luck here.

Last weekend there are more than 300 arrest;
Two days ago there is a university student trying to escape from a direct tear gas grenade shot to the body (which is now all made in China and melting hot, probably becomes a quite lethal weapon) and fall from third floor to the ground, whom is now in critical condition.
A district council member, Andrew Chiu, who was elected by people has his ear bite off by a suspicious man and three more citizens are being stabbed by the same guy.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#432 » by matchman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 am

Things are getting a lot worse. This morning there is a campaign to block the traffic and a strike in Nov 11.

Now these bastard cops just shoot in the street without reasons. 3 rounds and 2 down shooting unarmed people.

Read on Twitter
?s=09
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#433 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:26 pm

matchman wrote:Things are getting a lot worse. This morning there is a campaign to block the traffic and a strike in Nov 11.

Now these bastard cops just shoot in the street without reasons. 3 rounds and 2 down shooting unarmed people.

Read on Twitter
?s=09
Stay safe Matchman. Bad day today, will likely get worse, leading to cancelation of Nov 24 election.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#434 » by matchman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am

Things are going so far which is beyond imagination:

Tear gas and arrest happens in Wall Street or Manhattan;
Police or military attacking Ivy League while in Seoul style;
The HKIX (ie the heart of Hong Kong Internet connection to the world) is inside the Chinese University of Hong Kong, is being attacked by police and in danger any time.

If you see me not logging in here for days, you may know why.

P.S.

Hong Kong has a lot of difference from mainland China
- Hong Kong website domain suffix is ".hk", while China is ".cn";
- Hong Kong country code for idd is "852", China is "86", a random city of China will be "86-xxx", and Hong Kong does not need to add "86"
- Hong Kong currency is Hong Kong dollar and have a fixed rate with USD at around 7.8-7.85, yet they are freely transferred or paid everywhere in the world, while Chinese Yuan or RMB is not the same, and have tight restriction.
- Hong Kong and Taiwan are using different Chinese characters from mainland China, since Hong Kong is using a Traditional Chinese since more than a thousand years ago, while mainland China's "simplified Chinese", is a re-invented written language which is made by CCP for less than 60 years.
- Hong Kong law system is more like that of UK's common law, which is being eroded and CCP is trying their best to fooling around with this.

Hopefully this is not my last post in realgm, I love the freedom of browsing Internet and exchange ideas freely without consequences as long as we obey common sense.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#435 » by matchman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Table and mattress used as shield by CUHK students to defend against tear gas (by hand throw grenade and shotgun), rubber bullet and freakin' 0.38 pistol bullets.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#436 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm

matchman wrote:Image

Table and mattress used as shield by CUHK students to defend against tear gas (by hand throw grenade and shotgun), rubber bullet and freakin' 0.38 pistol bullets.
watching it unfold live now. Heartbreaking.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#437 » by BallSacBounce » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Where is that policeman's sense of humanity? Pepper sprayed for holding up a card with I guess some kind of message written on it.

Read on Twitter
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#438 » by matchman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 am

BallSacBounce wrote:Where is that policeman's sense of humanity? Pepper sprayed for holding up a card with I guess some kind of message written on it.

Read on Twitter

They cannot bear with any different voices or an attitude or a gesture against them. It is so gross.

And yesterday night at the same time when CUHK is at war, the leaders in Hong Kong are cheering with champagne in a banquet. Cold-hearted.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#439 » by matchman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests-usa-idUSKBN1XO2EU

Two senior U.S. senators began a process on Thursday for the U.S. Senate to quickly pass legislation that would place Hong Kong's special treatment by the United States under extra scrutiny, a sign of support for pro-democracy protesters in the Chinese-ruled city.

U.S. Senators Jim Risch, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Marco Rubio, a senior member of the panel, want to pass the "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act" by unanimous voice vote.

The legislation would require the secretary of state to certify at least once a year that Hong Kong still retains enough autonomy to warrant the special U.S. trading consideration that bolsters its status as a world financial center.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#440 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:01 pm

matchman wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests-usa-idUSKBN1XO2EU

Two senior U.S. senators began a process on Thursday for the U.S. Senate to quickly pass legislation that would place Hong Kong's special treatment by the United States under extra scrutiny, a sign of support for pro-democracy protesters in the Chinese-ruled city.

U.S. Senators Jim Risch, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Marco Rubio, a senior member of the panel, want to pass the "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act" by unanimous voice vote.

The legislation would require the secretary of state to certify at least once a year that Hong Kong still retains enough autonomy to warrant the special U.S. trading consideration that bolsters its status as a world financial center.
Another difficult day for HK. Stay safe all. Hopefully magically things get resolved for the day.

Return to New York Knicks