Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread. 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Bonga played far better than my expectations - a very nice first game. Glad I motivated him. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#42 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:57 pm

Not to mention that you got his thread to the next page -- again!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#43 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:58 pm

payitforward wrote:Not to mention that you got his thread to the next page -- again!

It was always in the bag! Check out these mad skills!

Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#44 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:22 pm

LOL!! Where you been hiding that!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#45 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Cross posted from the San Antonio game thread:

Bonga is the new Satoransky (the Sato of 2017, that is). He does everything except shoot.

The advanced stats really like it. But, like with Sato early on, one wonders how effective a player truly can be when his Usage % is so ridiculously low. You've got to make the defense at least account for you. I really like that Bonga drove aggressively to the lane late in the game when it looked like the defense had gotten complacent in ignoring him.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#46 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:44 pm

nate33 wrote:Bonga is the new Satoransky (the Sato of 2017, that is). He does everything except shoot.

The advanced stats really like it. But, like with Sato early on, one wonders how effective a player truly can be when his Usage % is so ridiculously low. You've got to make the defense at least account for you. I really like that Bonga drove aggressively to the lane late in the game when it looked like the defense had gotten complacent in ignoring him.

Well... if he's already as productive as Sato was that year, & he's only 19 & costs $1.5m, then... wow! :)

Plus, he's a very different type of player from Sato -- & there's plenty of headroom for offensive development. Take a look at this G League game last year:

and this game w/ the Lakers:

...& I'm guessing you'll agree: he's mobile & aggressive. Especially in transition.

So far this season, it looks like the Wiz are so focused on shooting the 3 that Bonga's not getting many opportunities to shoot the ball. But... only 3 games, after all.

As well, if he's really 19 (rather than a phenomenally well-preserved senior citizen!), he might easily grow another inch & gain 10-15 lbs (to me at least he already looks bigger than in that G League game video).

You never know, of course, but this kid could looks like he has a shot to be a tremendous player!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#47 » by WallToWall » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:43 am

KId is 19 and his body is still developing. If he hits the weight room, and gets some training with a shooting coach, he can be pretty darn good. Arm reach, quick reaction, and awareness are 3 things that you either have or just dont by the time a player reaches this level of play. Bonga has it. I thought we had a chance for a reasonable defensive player when we got him. Now, I think his potential is quite a lot, a lot more than I initially thought. We may have committed highway robbery when we got him.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#48 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:07 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
payitforward wrote:Not to mention that you got his thread to the next page -- again!

It was always in the bag! Check out these mad skills!

I’m assuming he’s mocking a soccer goalkeeper at the end of a match. Catching the ball, going to the ground, eating up time.
In Rizzo we trust
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#49 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I’m assuming he’s mocking a soccer goalkeeper at the end of a match. Catching the ball, going to the ground, eating up time.

Looks that way to me. Seems like he set out to make a meme. It doesn't really matter what it's about, though. The point is that Bonga is awesome. It's really tough to find a comparison for him historically, too. I'd love for him to get a jumper but it's his defensive potential that really sets him above. If he can find a way to remain effective while improving his defense, he's going to be super annoying for other teams to play against. His defense is clearly what's earning him PT right now even if he isn't all that effective on offense and is largely just staying out of the way.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#50 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:42 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:...I'd love for him to get a jumper but it's his defensive potential that really sets him above. ...His defense is clearly what's earning him PT right now even if he isn't all that effective on offense and is largely just staying out of the way.

He's plenty effective on offense -- TS% = .644 so far -- he's just low usage.

The combination of outstanding defense & high efficiency offense, even on low usage, will keep him on the floor a lot & make him a big plus. But... can he maintain that efficiency?

One negative so far -- he's committing a lot of fouls.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#51 » by Mojo Amok » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Is Trevor Ariza as a best-case scenario unreasonable for Bonga? He seems to have very similar tools with that frame, quickness, defensive focus and then the foundation as a playmaker.

He's already tops on the team in deflections per 36 (it's more or less a tie, but still solid):

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per36&TeamID=1610612764&sort=DEFLECTIONS&dir=1

He needs seasoning, confidence, and a reliable long ball.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#52 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:Is Trevor Ariza as a best-case scenario unreasonable for Bonga? He seems to have very similar tools with that frame, quickness, defensive focus and then the foundation as a playmaker.

He's already tops on the team in deflections per 36 (it's more or less a tie, but still solid):

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per36&TeamID=1610612764&sort=DEFLECTIONS&dir=1

He needs seasoning, confidence, and a reliable long ball.

Interesting comparison. Recall that Ariza was a pretty lousy 3-point shooter when he first came into the league as well. He didn't even shoot them in his first 4 seasons (back when you could get away with that). In his 5th year, at age 23, he launched 191 3's and only hit 32% of them. It wasn't until his 9th season (his first in Washington), that he reliably hit 35% or better.

Physically, they're almost identical. Both guys measured 6-8 this year (no shoes). The combine database says that Ariza has a 7-2 wingspan. Bonga's is 7-0. Both guys entered the league at a very young age (Bonga one month shy of his 19th birthday, Ariza at 19 and 6 months).

Of course, the problem here is that Ariza didn't become a good player until well after his rookie contract was up. We may have the same issue with Bonga.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#53 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:26 pm

I don't know whether affects your point about Bonga, nate, but I can't see where Ariza was better for us in 2012-13 than he was for Orlando in his 3d year, 2006-7, when -- tho he didn't shoot the 3 -- he still scored more points at a higher TS% & was a better rebounder. For sure, however, 2013-14 was his best year as a player.

Perhaps it's that, no matter what the empirical data say about guys taken in R2, it takes teams a long time to value a guy taken there? We have Bonga tied up for this year & the 2 following. So, maybe that will be enough for us to extend him further along the way...?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#54 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:35 pm

It's easy to forget how young Bonga is.

He's 6 months younger than Troy Brown, a year-and-a-half younger than Hachimura, two-and-a-half years younger than Wagner and Schofield, and 3 years younger than Mathews.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,997

Post#55 » by dckingsfan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 pm

nate33 wrote:It's easy to forget how young Bonga is.

He's 6 months younger than Troy Brown, a year-and-a-half younger than Hachimura, two-and-a-half years younger than Wagner and Schofield, and 3 years younger than Mathews.

Really would like to see a starting lineup of Brown, Beal and Bonga.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#56 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:13 pm

dckingsfan wrote:

Really would like to see a starting lineup of Brown, Beal and Bonga.

Agreed.

In the short term, I'm okay with Ish and IT at PG because they know the role well and it presumably makes things a bit easier on Hachimura and Bryant. But as the season goes on and Brown gets some reps at PG, I'm hoping to eventually trade IT for a 2nd round pick, move Brown to PG, and move Ish to backup PG.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#57 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:53 pm

But look at him. Really look. He looks like he’s 38
In Rizzo we trust
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#58 » by leswizards » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 am

I really like Bonga, but he fouls too much. He needs to work on that.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#59 » by WallToWall » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:05 am

The fouls is something he can fix. He is a pretty efficient player, taking good shots that he can make, making good defensive plays, etc. When he fixes his fouling, he can stay on the court for 30 mins and be pretty efficient in scoring 12 pts and getting 8 rbs per game. He's in there for his defense though, and getting that D for 30 mins would be good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#60 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 am

WallToWall wrote:getting that D for 30 mins would be good.

Return to Washington Wizards