So is Jokic just gonna be seemingly out of shape his entire career and does it matter??

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,501

Re: So is Jokic just gonna be fat his entire career? 

Post#141 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:46 am

DaPessimist wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
So what metric do you use to determine that "Americans are lazy"?

Enlighten me.

Obesity rates.

Americans have longer work rates than most of the developed World. They certainly aren't 'lazy'. Obesity in America has more to do with what people eat.

Well working more leads to more poor diet choices. That said we also walk less, cook less, and likely throw in more stress from work.

Though you can still take most of that back to being lazy. Working more...or are we just lazy in the office and take work home (I'm guilty of this).

But ultimately, I'd venture to guess American's as a whole are more focused on work and less focused on their health and well being. Perhaps cultural, perhaps governmental, perhaps something else. Either way, this American is sick of all the holiday's his co workers have when he's trying to get projects completed.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#142 » by Pg81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:49 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Who said don't eat bad food? I said put the fork down. You can go a month without eating. I can assure you, your weight will drop. It is THAT simple. If someone consumes less calories than they burn, they'll drop weight. If people struggle to keep weight off, it's for one SIMPLE reason. They chose to eat more than they burn. Every time you eat, it's a choice. There's a difference in "want" and "choice". If I want abs (who doesn't?) but choose to eat a burrito....well I chose to be fat.

You are completely and utterly ignorant of psychology. :roll:
Please do me a favor, go to your nearest drug rehab center and tell all the addicts there that all they have to do is lay down the needle and that they can live without ever doing drugs. The reaction will be priceless, especially by the professionals. :lol:

I full understand what you're saying. It does not in anyway change that eating is a choice as is using drugs. Though comparing someone who struggles to pass on a 2 liter of coke with someone on drugs is a bit comical. Most people in reality just don't want to be lean as much as they want another serving of food. It's just that simple.

Actually there is nothing comical about it. Weight is not just a matter of food but in large parts psychology. We have dozens of types of addictions, including gambling. I find it hilarious that people like you think that weight is in general something easy to fix when reality shows time and time again that disorders and mental health problems are often far harder to fix than physical injuries. And stop saying it is that simple, that is demonstrably wrong. Oh and how would you know that most people do not want to be "lean"? Read or done any studies? Any surveys? Or does this come from your deep treasure of "life experiences"? :roll:
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Re: So is Jokic just gonna be fat his entire careeIr? 

Post#143 » by dautjazz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:51 am

He's really damn good, but over the long run it could be really bad for knees, and body in general. He doesn't have to have a KG frame, but needs to trim a lot of fat.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#144 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:59 am

Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
You are completely and utterly ignorant of psychology. :roll:
Please do me a favor, go to your nearest drug rehab center and tell all the addicts there that all they have to do is lay down the needle and that they can live without ever doing drugs. The reaction will be priceless, especially by the professionals. :lol:

I full understand what you're saying. It does not in anyway change that eating is a choice as is using drugs. Though comparing someone who struggles to pass on a 2 liter of coke with someone on drugs is a bit comical. Most people in reality just don't want to be lean as much as they want another serving of food. It's just that simple.

Actually there is nothing comical about it. Weight is not just a matter of food but in large parts psychology. We have dozens of types of addictions, including gambling. I find it hilarious that people like you think that weight is in general something easy to fix when reality shows time and time again that disorders and mental health problems are often far harder to fix than physical injuries. And stop saying it is that simple, that is demonstrably wrong. Oh and how would you know that most people do not want to be "lean"? Read or done any studies? Any surveys? Or does this come from your deep treasure of "life experiences"? :roll:

When someone dieting gets excited to have a cookie, we don't need to discuss further what they care more about. When someone who wants to be in shape spends more eating out than on their gym membership, we don't need to dig deeper. If you tell the average person who claims they want to be lean to log their food for a few months, weighing each meal, and they look at you like a mad man. Well they don't actual care because it's work.

Mental health, genetics, etc etc are all real thing. the law of thermodynamics doesn't care. It care if you put your fork down or not. Nothing else matters.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#145 » by bb22 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 am

He’s a 24 year old in a 30 year old body. I just don’t see how he plays another 8-10 years
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#146 » by DaFan334 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:39 am

This is the same guy that played 65 minutes in a game last playoffs, right?
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#147 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 am

Jokic and Nuggets not looking great to start the season.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Go Raps!!
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#148 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:09 pm

Pg81 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Pg81 wrote:If that were the case we would not have a such a terrible success rate of dieting. According to some Swedish scientists, only about 5% manage their achieved weight for years. The vast majority fall back into old bad habits. That is like saying to a meth addict "You are responsible for staying clean".
Is this statistic valid for professional athletes as well?

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

I do not know but the poster before me seemed to talk in general anyway so that is why I did, too.

Please, all this thread is about a professional athlete. We can look at all the context we want but let's try to go back to what point we are trying to make.
Permanently changing your body is extremely tough.
It requires dedication and consistency and, depending on how close to your limit you put the target, it can be very unrealistic for an average person to achieve it. Not because it's difficult to know how to do it, but because a normal person has multiple other priorities in his life and might not be really ready to dedicate his existence to achieve an ideal body. And probably it wouldn't be even healthy. I can easily keep leaving my life doing my running twice a week, with healthy weight but far from any ideal freakish body. I have some little fat in my belly, I don't have big muscles. I had times looking better but I realize I'm not ready to do what it takes stay that way permanently. It's my choice.
But, again, I'm not a pro. If my success would depend on it, I would know what to do and I would be much closer to that ideal body vs where I am today. And that's why the vast majority of pro athletes are able to not just control their weight but get very close to their athletic potential, and stay there for years.
This is the field Jokic is playing in, we should expect him to chose the right thing when contemplating if to follow a proper diet or just give up some of stamina or agility for the pleasure of an extra beer and burger.
I disagree when people say that this is his ideal weight, but I understand the logic. I find ridiculous though when people instead answer that "it's very difficult to follow a diet, it's not his fault".
Слава Украине!
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#149 » by Pg81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Is this statistic valid for professional athletes as well?

I do not know but the poster before me seemed to talk in general anyway so that is why I did, too.

Please, all this thread is about a professional athlete. We can look at all the context we want but let's try to go back to what point we are trying to make.
It requires dedication and consistency and, depending on how close to your limit you put the target, it can be very unrealistic for an average person to achieve it. Not because it's difficult to know how to do it, but because a normal person has multiple other priorities in his life and might not be really ready to dedicate his existence to achieve an ideal body. And probably it wouldn't be even healthy. I can easily keep leaving my life doing my running twice a week, with healthy weight but far from any ideal freakish body. I have some little fat in my belly, I don't have big muscles. I had times looking better but I realize I'm not ready to do what it takes stay that way permanently. It's my choice.
But, again, I'm not a pro. If my success would depend on it, I would know what to do and I would be much closer to that ideal body vs where I am today. And that's why the vast majority of pro athletes are able to not just control their weight but get very close to their athletic potential, and stay there for years.
This is the field Jokic is playing in, we should expect him to chose the right thing when contemplating if to follow a proper diet or just give up some of stamina or agility for the pleasure of an extra beer and burger.
I disagree when people say that this is his ideal weight, but I understand the logic. I find ridiculous though when people instead answer that "it's very difficult to follow a diet, it's not his fault".

You can find it ridiculous all you like but Obesity has been declared a pandemic world wide and has risen to one of the leading causes of death in many countries, especially US and Europe. If all it took was "follow a diet" we would not have this problem, yet here we are. I find this cognitive dissonance of some people fascinating, regardless how much reality proves them wrong they continue with what they believe in, regardless how wrong it is.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Post#150 » by ZB9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:47 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Obesity rates.

Americans have longer work rates than most of the developed World. They certainly aren't 'lazy'. Obesity in America has more to do with what people eat.

You can work 100 hours a week and still be lazy...

lol wtf 100 hours? No, if you work 100 hours in a week, you are definitely not being lazy.

If you are working hard, you are not being lazy.

You and I must have very very different definitions of what being lazy entails.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#151 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:52 pm

ZB9 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:

lol wtf 100 hours? No, if you work 100 hours in a week, you are definitely not being lazy.

The use of the word "hard" is a pretty big qualifier. I know plenty of people who work 100 hours a week...about 0 of that is working hard though.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#152 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 pm

Pg81 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

You can find it ridiculous all you like but Obesity has been declared a pandemic world wide and has risen to one of the leading causes of death in many countries, especially US and Europe. If all it took was "follow a diet" we would not have this problem, yet here we are. I find this cognitive dissonance of some people fascinating, regardless how much reality proves them wrong they continue with what they believe in, regardless how wrong it is.

How hard is it to accept that people don't do what's healthy or smart because they simply prefer an alternative? I'd rather come home and have a 20 year old scotch or 5 than go to the gym. I'd rather eat pizza than chicken. If you want to talk about cognitive dissonance...
Crispy
Senior
And1: 12

Post#153 » by Crispy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Friend of mine that works for an NBA team said Jokic plans to retire at 27 (once his contract is up) and go back to his home country. Said he's not really passionate about the game. Didn't believe it at first but now it seems like there might be some truth to it.
ZB9
Sixth Man

Post#154 » by ZB9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:13 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

The use of the word "hard" is a pretty big qualifier. I know plenty of people who work 100 hours a week...about 0 of that is working hard though.

yes we clearly have different definitions of laziness.

Anyway, I know plenty of fat people that aren't lazy. The more hours you work, the more difficult it is to work out and cook healthy meals because you have less time. You might only have time to grab fast food.

Gauging laziness by obesity rates makes no sense.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#155 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:20 pm

ZB9 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Anyway, I know plenty of fat people that aren't lazy. The more hours you work, the more difficult it is to work out and cook healthy meals because you have less time. You might only have time to grab fast food.

I mean you can spent100 hours in the office goofing off on facebook (or here). You're lazy.

But yeah obesity isn't always being lazy.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#156 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Pg81 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

He's a pro athlete, what are you talking about?
You really want come up with generic sociological intellectualized thoughts when discussing a guy who's taking care of his body for a living?
Yes, you're paid millions, it is as easy as having the discipline to follow a diet.
If you can't do this you're missing something in your work ethic to reach your potential.

Слава Украине!
ZB9
Sixth Man

Post#157 » by ZB9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:25 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I mean you can spent100 hours in the office goofing off on facebook (or here). You're lazy.

or posting on realgm at work, like what im doing lol
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#158 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:26 pm

ZB9 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

or posting on realgm at work, like what im doing lol

Same :) But this goofing off likely means, I'll be here later than otherwise or will be working tonight at home (where I get more work done anyway).
Knicks7Tape
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#159 » by Knicks7Tape » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Waiting for him to go vegan in the offseason and talk about being in the best shape of his life.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,360

Post#160 » by Ambrose » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:18 pm

ZB9 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
So what metric do you use to determine that "Americans are lazy"?

Enlighten me.

Obesity rates.

Ok, so....

fat = lazy

not fat = not lazy

If someone works 50 hours a week, but they are fat, then they are lazy...

If someone doesnt work, and has all day to work out whenever they want...they are not fat, so they are not lazy...

You're a genius.

I mean it's not a perfect 1/1 ratio. There is a hell of a strong correlation though.

Return to The General Board