Matisse Thybulle Defense

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,335

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#41 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:20 pm

He is the secret sauce. Not mayonnaise and ketchup.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#42 » by Marcus » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:26 pm

Just the mere fact that he wants it this bad and legit takes pride in making these kinds of plays is the most impressive part to me. He legit wants to be this guy. It's Rodman esque in that sense.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,335

Post#43 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:27 pm

100 years from now, they will discover a metal that attracts leather like what magnet is to a steel.

They will call it “thybulle”
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#44 » by draftnightsuit » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:57 pm

His on ball defense is average. He’s a defensive playmaker that cuts lanes and gets steals and blocks.

His defensive IQ is high though.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#45 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:24 pm

E-Balla wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
E-Balla wrote:He's always been amazing defensively but my issue with him is his offense might be too bad to justify playing him much. It's weird to see an offensive player with a decent jumper be this bad.

They call him the disrupter for a reason though.

If the shot starts falling in the mid-30s from 3 (the form is there, so we'll see if the results follow), I think he's a fine 5th option. He seems like a high IQ player on offense. Moves well off ball, makes makes the right passes. He's just really limited. He's very Danny Green-ish on that end.

In college his shot fell and his offense was still terrible.

All he needs to be able to do is space the floor and he's fine as a 5th option. There's a difference between being limited and being a guy that actively hurts the offense. If the shot doesn't come together and teams just double off of him constantly, that's a problem. If the shot does come together, he's a prototypical 3 and D guy. It's not like Danny Green or Robert Covington are highly skilled offensively.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#46 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:42 pm

youngcrev wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
If the shot starts falling in the mid-30s from 3 (the form is there, so we'll see if the results follow), I think he's a fine 5th option. He seems like a high IQ player on offense. Moves well off ball, makes makes the right passes. He's just really limited. He's very Danny Green-ish on that end.

In college his shot fell and his offense was still terrible.

All he needs to be able to do is space the floor and he's fine as a 5th option. There's a difference between being limited and being a guy that actively hurts the offense. If the shot doesn't come together and teams just double off of him constantly, that's a problem. If the shot does come together, he's a prototypical 3 and D guy. It's not like Danny Green or Robert Covington are highly skilled offensively.

All he needs to do is make enough shots that other teams don’t ignor him. Coach Pierce in Atlanta, basically ignored him and he only hit 2 of 7. If that continues, that will ba problem. I don’t expect him to continue to shoot less than 30%, because his form is too good, and he’s a good FT shooter. Just being a floor spacer, no matter how many points he gets, is enough to justify his minutes.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#47 » by abark » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:15 am

HotelVitale wrote:
abark wrote:
Eyeamok wrote: I want you to be right. But stop it man just stop it! It's too soon in the process. :lol: But I do recall you singing his praises in pre-season. So I'd be happy to be wrong.
He's averaging 5 steals and 2.5 blocks per36 which is exactly what he did in preseason. And just watching him, I've never seen any perimeter player so disruptive on defense. Obviously you can't annoint him "the best ever" at anything after 5 games. But he I'd already be surprised if he doesn't end up in the conversation, barring injury.
Love Thybulle but I'd pump the brakes--a big chunk of his steals come from a few moves that ballhandlers should be able to get wise to, even if many of them just come from great anticipation and quick hands. I think he's still a really good defender beyond the stats but I'd caution against hyperbole based just on his steal/block, which is generally a bad way to measure defense anyway.

I understand there's a lot more to defense than blocks and steals, but I don't think it's hyperbole. He is simply a great all around defender, whether we are talking man or help D.

He currently has the highest DBPM in the league at +9.1 right now.

I know he has a long way to go on the offensive end to get to the point where he isn't a significant liability.

But I've seen all his preseason and regular season games, and truly believe this guy is special on the defensive end.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#48 » by freethedevil » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:10 am

draftnightsuit wrote:His on ball defense is average. He’s a defensive playmaker that cuts lanes and gets steals and blocks.

His defensive IQ is high though.

man defense<<<<<defensive playmaking
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#49 » by Coach Carter » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:28 am

saw him the other day, quite incredible
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,629

Post#50 » by LordCovington33 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:37 am

Read on Twitter
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,530

Post#51 » by jpengland » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:45 am

Hes an absoloute wrecking ball.

His on ball defense is so so but on a team full of good, smart, on ball defenders he can have licence to gamble. He also has the smarts to know when to gamble and the athletic ability to recover.

Hes special. If that three ball develops he could be the best role player in the league
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,530

Post#52 » by jpengland » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:48 am

abark wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
abark wrote: He's averaging 5 steals and 2.5 blocks per36 which is exactly what he did in preseason. And just watching him, I've never seen any perimeter player so disruptive on defense. Obviously you can't annoint him "the best ever" at anything after 5 games. But he I'd already be surprised if he doesn't end up in the conversation, barring injury.
Love Thybulle but I'd pump the brakes--a big chunk of his steals come from a few moves that ballhandlers should be able to get wise to, even if many of them just come from great anticipation and quick hands. I think he's still a really good defender beyond the stats but I'd caution against hyperbole based just on his steal/block, which is generally a bad way to measure defense anyway.

I understand there's a lot more to defense than blocks and steals, but I don't think it's hyperbole. He is simply a great all around defender, whether we are talking man or help D.

He currently has the highest DBPM in the league at +9.1 right now.

I know he has a long way to go on the offensive end to get to the point where he isn't a significant liability.

But I've seen all his preseason and regular season games, and truly believe this guy is special on the defensive end.

I think the key difference (other than making smart gambles) is his recovery ability. Most guys with large steals/blocks and poor overall defensive impact are those guys who gamble and put themselves out of the play. This guy gambles and has the ability to recover that well that he's still in the play and sometimes even more dangerous as the offense doesn't know where he is.

It's obviously a tiny sample size but he looks like something we haven't really seen before.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#53 » by gorz » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:59 am

Thabo Sefolosha 2.5
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#54 » by robbie84 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 10:45 am

Kids a stud but he's got nothing on Marcus Smart.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,786

Post#55 » by eyeatoma » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:14 pm

robbie84 wrote:Kids a stud but he's got nothing on Marcus Smart.

Smart is a better on ball defender, and does have a lot of hustle. But Thybulle's anticipation skills and ability to make up when he gets beat is unprecedented.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#56 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:25 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who are the two dudes in the right upper quadrant? And the two in the right lower besides Riu?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,629

Post#57 » by LordCovington33 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:25 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

Smart is a better on ball defender, and does have a lot of hustle. But Thybulle's anticipation skills and ability to make up when he gets beat is unprecedented.

I am not necessarily disputing it as Marcus Smart has caused us considerable grief in years past, but can somebody point to me stats in which he is superior defensively. Thybulle has a better defensive rating (although it took a big hit last night), has a significantly better DBPM and a higher TPA for defence (whatever that means). He leads the league in steals and deflections.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#58 » by Black Mage » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:33 pm

matt6715 wrote:He should have been a lotto pick just based on that defensive potential alone.

This is exactly why Brand had to give the kid a promise. He knew if teams worked him out he'd leap up the board.

Did he pay a price for doing that? Yep, but it was a pittance compared to what he might have had to pay fo move up if other teams saw the kid in workouts.

Thanks Danny for taking Langford and then sending Matisse to us!!! :D
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,616

Post#59 » by KingDavid » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:37 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who are the two dudes in the right upper quadrant? And the two in the right lower besides Riu?

The highest on the upper right is Chris Silva for the Miami Heat. The lower quadrant on the far right is Kendrick Nunn, also for the Miami Heat. Dunno about the others.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,074

Post#60 » by SkyHookFTW » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:23 pm

Maybe he'll work on his flopping skills.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley

Return to The General Board