Kudos, front office! Thanks, Rob!

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Kudos, front office! Thanks, Rob! 

Post#21 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm

This team is basically a Klutch Sports platform at this point... I'd really like to give Rob all the credit, but I think that would be incredibly naive or oblivious... Kudos for getting out of the way and letting it happen, maybe. Kudos for not screwing it up.

I don't really care honestly, I'm just glad it happened... I'm still not sure about our coaching staff, but the players are all good pickups...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#22 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:39 am

Where is Miles?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#23 » by mcscotty » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:47 am

I'm still cautiously optimistic. We've had a tendency to come strong out of the gates in recent years, only to fizzle out after 20-30 games. However, it does feel different this year. Seems sustainable.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#24 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:43 am

I think it feels sustainable because we're winning games in spite of the fact we aren't really playing that well. The stars are having good games but we lack cohesiveness. So it feels like there's actually a lot of room for improvement just with the guys on the court. And we're getting Kuz back...

I think optimism is justified. If we're still playing kind of disjointed ball by Christmas, it might be time to take the rose colored glasses off, but not yet.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#25 » by stan francisco » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:16 pm

Kilroy wrote:I think it feels sustainable because we're winning games in spite of the fact we aren't really playing that well. The stars are having good games but we lack cohesiveness. So it feels like there's actually a lot of room for improvement just with the guys on the court. And we're getting Kuz back...

Exactly!
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#26 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:43 pm

93.7 combined PTS/GAME for 7 ex Lakers currently,
Ingram, 27 pts, 5 APG, 8 rebs,
BAll, 12.4 pts, 7.4 assists, 75% FT%
Hart, 13.8 pts, 6 rebs, 40% 3pt%
Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%
Bryant, 14.5pts, 10.3 rebs, 20.0 PER
Zubac, 8.7 pts, 6 rebs, 25.8 PER,
Bonga, 6.3 pts, 4.5 rebs.
I understand BI and BAll were drafted very high but ,Is Rob Pelinka an under rated Talent evaluator? AD has been balling out but it just seems like NO didn't really get a raw deal here. Yes, they are not winning but it's more about them not playing great defense and making mistakes in the 2ND half IMO.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#27 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:58 pm

Kilroy wrote:I think it feels sustainable because we're winning games in spite of the fact we aren't really playing that well. The stars are having good games but we lack cohesiveness. So it feels like there's actually a lot of room for improvement just with the guys on the court. And we're getting Kuz back...

I think optimism is justified. If we're still playing kind of disjointed ball by Christmas, it might be time to take the rose colored glasses off, but not yet.

It seems like they lack some fluidity on offense but the bright spot has been their focus on defense, currently 4th in DRTG inspite of the Clippers getting 117.5 ORTG and 58.6 EFG %. I'm not sure if Pelinka should be the bulk of the current success tho. Lebron and AD along with most of the team have been really working hard on defense.
valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Post#28 » by valrond1 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:44 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:93.7 combined PTS/GAME for 7 ex Lakers currently,
Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%
I understand BI and BAll were drafted very high but ,Is Rob Pelinka an under rated Talent evaluator? AD has been balling out but it just seems like NO didn't really get a raw deal here. Yes, they are not winning but it's more about them not playing great defense and making mistakes in the 2ND half IMO.

Yep, they gave away way too much for AD. I had been a loyal Laker fan since 1988, when I first started watching the NBA, but no more. This is just idiotic. I have endured, what, 6-7 years of sucking to get all those high draft picks to turn them into... a 35 y.o. Lebron and A.D.? And Davis could be just a one year rental.

I was always very high on the kids, specially Ingram and Ball. Ingram was steadly improving every year, and Ball is the kind of player you need in a team to win. Plus all the other players you but, AND the future draft picks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not how you build a dinasty. The Lakers will have a shot at the title this year, and that's it. If things go south, that's another 10 years of sucking. Hard. I pass.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#29 » by SweetTouch » Fri Nov 1, 2019 10:31 pm

The reason to be optimistic is that a title contender needs to be able to lock in defensively for consecutive possessions

This team has shown to be capable of that

Previous laker teams got away offensively
Stop being so disrespectful.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#30 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 2, 2019 12:44 am

Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%

Isn't this just what our team did last year and the year before? Not winning and no defense and making dumb mistakes in key situations? Seems like somehow that's in NO and not here any longer.

The problem with our drafts is that during that time there is only one true top tier player so far and that's KAT. Even he's not at a point where he can truly change the outcome of a game by himself. The NBA has always been about having that type of guy. None of our your picks will every be that guy. Some will be very productive players and be on winning teams but we had a chance to put 2 of those types of players together. I think the price was high and I hoped we could save Ingram from the Davis trade and move him for more pieces but in the end we had to dump all of them but Kuzma.

The Zubac trade is the only one that didn't make sense from a rebuild standpoint.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by stan francisco » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:49 am

Yeah, we gave away a full roster of great talent, that’s how we are contenders now. I didn’t like it, but we’re now contenders. Win now mode. Well done.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,954

Post#32 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Nov 2, 2019 5:11 am

valrond1 wrote:
Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%

Yep, they gave away way too much for AD. I had been a loyal Laker fan since 1988, when I first started watching the NBA, but no more. This is just idiotic. I have endured, what, 6-7 years of sucking to get all those high draft picks to turn them into... a 35 y.o. Lebron and A.D.? And Davis could be just a one year rental.

I was always very high on the kids, specially Ingram and Ball. Ingram was steadly improving every year, and Ball is the kind of player you need in a team to win. Plus all the other players you but, AND the future draft picks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not how you build a dinasty. The Lakers will have a shot at the title this year, and that's it. If things go south, that's another 10 years of sucking. Hard. I pass.

What football team did you similarly abandon to hop on New England's bandwagon?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#33 » by zimpy27 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 6:21 am

Kilroy wrote:This team is basically a Klutch Sports platform at this point... I'd really like to give Rob all the credit, but I think that would be incredibly naive or oblivious... Kudos for getting out of the way and letting it happen, maybe. Kudos for not screwing it up.

I don't really care honestly, I'm just glad it happened... I'm still not sure about our coaching staff, but the players are all good pickups...

Truthfully, getting out the way can be the hardest thing to do. You need to be both smart enough to realize others know better but also have low enough ego to let go. That's pretty damn rare.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Post#34 » by valrond1 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 10:54 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
valrond1 wrote:
Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%

None. The only FOOTBALL team I follow is Real Madrid (and Granada CF, which is my local team). As for NFL, I picked Pats cause they are good and have been good for 20 years.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#35 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:40 pm

Landsberger wrote:
Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%

Isn't this just what our team did last year and the year before? Not winning and no defense and making dumb mistakes in key situations? Seems like somehow that's in NO and not here any longer.

The problem with our drafts is that during that time there is only one true top tier player so far and that's KAT. Even he's not at a point where he can truly change the outcome of a game by himself. The NBA has always been about having that type of guy. None of our your picks will every be that guy. Some will be very productive players and be on winning teams but we had a chance to put 2 of those types of players together. I think the price was high and I hoped we could save Ingram from the Davis trade and move him for more pieces but in the end we had to dump all of them but Kuzma.

The Zubac trade is the only one that didn't make sense from a rebuild standpoint.

No defense? basketballref ranked them at 12th best in ORTG last season. NBA.COM ranked them 13th overall
They could have ranked higher if not for injuries and trade rumors that demoralized the young core.
For the month of November, 14 games, Lakers were actually ranked 3rd best at 103.5, December ranked 10th at 106.7 then Lebron got injured in Christmas, followed by Rondo then Ball in January.
Again the trade rumors were like in Feb were the walls came off dropping them to 26th at 116.4 and March ranked 19th at 110.8
https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=TEAM_NAME*E*&Month=6
The year before, with no trade rumors and pre- Lebron, the team ranked 12th best in defense with Ball's, Kuz,Hart's first year... so I disagree about them not playing defense. Yes, they made rookie mistakes, yes they had their share of issues like health etc.
I brought up these numbers not to insinuate that the Lakers gave up too much but to bring attention about how Rob and esp his staff did to find these talent, esp Thomas Byant, Hart etc which were picked late in the draft.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#36 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:46 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
Wagner, 11 pts, 72% EFG%

No defense? basketballref ranked them at 12th best in ORTG last season. NBA.COM ranked them 13th overall
They could have ranked higher if not for injuries and trade rumors that demoralized the young core.
For the month of November, 14 games, Lakers were actually ranked 3rd best at 103.5, December ranked 10th at 106.7 then Lebron got injured in Christmas, followed by Rondo then Ball in January.
Again the trade rumors were like in Feb were the walls came off dropping them to 26th at 116.4 and March ranked 19th at 110.8
https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=TEAM_NAME*E*&Month=6
The year before, with no trade rumors and pre- Lebron, the team ranked 12th best in defense with Ball's, Kuz,Hart's first year... so I disagree about them not playing defense. Yes, they made rookie mistakes, yes they had their share of issues like health etc.
I brought up these numbers not to insinuate that the Lakers gave up too much but to bring attention about how Rob and esp his staff did to find these talent, esp Thomas Byant, Hart etc which were picked late in the draft.

35 and 37 wins... shows the value of the defensive ranking stat doesn’t it. Giving up too much implies that those players were capable of getting us to the spot we’re in now by trading them. I’m firmly not in that camp.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,954

Post#37 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:16 pm

valrond1 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
valrond1 wrote:

None. The only FOOTBALL team I follow is Real Madrid (and Granada CF, which is my local team). As for NFL, I picked Pats cause they are good and have been good for 20 years.

lol, even better. Have you got your replacement lined up once Brady retires?
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#38 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:17 pm

Landsberger wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

35 and 37 wins... shows the value of the defensive ranking stat doesn’t it. Giving up too much implies that those players were capable of getting us to the spot we’re in now by trading them. I’m firmly not in that camp.

But IMO, they fail to win more games not bec of defense but bec of other issues like being bottom 3rd in FT% and 3pt shooting AND INJURIES. Both years both BI and Ball missed a ton games, you can add Lebron last year too and again the trade rumors.
Having said that, yes I agree, if they kept the core and not trade for AD, I can't see them contending but not bec of talent but bec of bad fit. I never liked the ball dominant Ingram playing with another ball dominant Lebron and I also don't like the fact last year that if Ball wasn't missing games, he was missing a ton of open shots and FTs....
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#39 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:52 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:No defense? basketballref ranked them at 12th best in ORTG last season. NBA.COM ranked them 13th overall

But IMO, they fail to win more games not bec of defense but bec of other issues like being bottom 3rd in FT% and 3pt shooting AND INJURIES. Both years both BI and Ball missed a ton games, you can add Lebron last year too and again the trade rumors.
Having said that, yes I agree, if they kept the core and not trade for AD, I can't see them contending but not bec of talent but bec of bad fit. I never liked the ball dominant Ingram playing with another ball dominant Lebron and I also don't like the fact last year that if Ball wasn't missing games, he was missing a ton of open shots and FTs....

I agree with the fit comment. Ingram seems to be an isolation player in a ball movement league. LeBron can get away with that because he's far more talented.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the "defense". I run quantitative modeling for a living and have done so for nearly 30 years. The so called advanced stats are not predictive and are based on variables that only exist looking rearward(meaning that they can only be quantified after they occur). The data needed to be able to create predictive modeling in something as dynamic as a basketball game is massive. Defensive rating is as flawed as the fundamental statistics it's based on. You can look at the rating and say injuries and offense were the problems.... or you can look at the rating and say the rating is the problem. You have made a statement that implies that the rating is right and something you can't clearly quantify is what's wrong.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:24 am

Again, thanks to the FO. For those who didn’t see it after game three, I hope you see it now. They built a legit contender. We are the team to beat this year. Period. And we’re deep...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers