OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 678

Re: OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers) 

Post#1321 » by ejn1214 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:41 am

Licensed to Il wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Watched ‘The King’ on Netflix last night. Besides a really solid performance by Timothée Chalamet it was well written by Joel Edgerton and David Michôd. I find English history fascinating (even though this was based very loosely on that as well as Shakespearean plays; a kind of mashup). The universal theme of the sins of the father passed onto the next generation are powerful to me (with a bit of a twist). I liked how they they explored how King Henry wrestles with that throughout the film. There were some good action sequences. A final battle scene that wasn’t too drawn out. One of the few Netflix films like that I truly enjoyed. Give it a shot if that’s your thing.

Wow. Talk about misreading the room.

Probably mention infinity stones or naked women on dragons if you want feedback.

I mostly lurk, but I do enjoy what iheartfootball has to say in this thread. I think we have similar tastes. I just completely skip over the marvel stuff as it doesn't interest me. I feel like I have almost nothing in common with what RS likes.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#1322 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:06 am

ejn1214 wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Watched ‘The King’ on Netflix last night. Besides a really solid performance by Timothée Chalamet it was well written by Joel Edgerton and David Michôd. I find English history fascinating (even though this was based very loosely on that as well as Shakespearean plays; a kind of mashup). The universal theme of the sins of the father passed onto the next generation are powerful to me (with a bit of a twist). I liked how they they explored how King Henry wrestles with that throughout the film. There were some good action sequences. A final battle scene that wasn’t too drawn out. One of the few Netflix films like that I truly enjoyed. Give it a shot if that’s your thing.

Probably mention infinity stones or naked women on dragons if you want feedback.

I mostly lurk, but I do enjoy what iheartfootball has to say in this thread. I think we have similar tastes. I just completely skip over the marvel stuff as it doesn't interest me. I feel like I have almost nothing in common with what RS likes.

It's okay, I'm used to it. There's a few of us genre folks around here, though. For what it's worth, I'd probably all over The King but I really don't like Chalamet.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1323 » by WRau1 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:10 am

Superheroes and tits or GTFO, imo.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1324 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:14 am

TBH I just need a Wings reboot and I'd be happy.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 678

Post#1325 » by ejn1214 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:00 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
ejn1214 wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:

It's okay, I'm used to it. There's a few of us genre folks around here, though. For what it's worth, I'd probably all over The King but I really don't like Chalamet.

Yeah it's no cut. It would be boring if everyone liked the same stuff. Sometimes I come on here and find out about shows/movies I haven't heard of.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1326 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:01 am

ejn1214 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
ejn1214 wrote:

Yeah it's no cut. It would be boring if everyone liked the same stuff. Sometimes I come on here and find out about shows/movies I haven't heard of.

Right on. Don't be such a lurker. The more the merrier around here.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#1327 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:53 pm

Saw Jojo Rabbit last night. I enjoyed it. A few spots where I choked up and wife was in tears. It wasn't quite as laugh out loud funny as I thought it would be and I attribute some of that to the edit but it was still funny. The kids gave really nice performances.

Also, there were people in the theater crying after the trailer for the Mr. Rogers movie.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#1328 » by 4xBuck » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:05 pm

Terminator Dark Fate sucks.

Having an ancient Sarah Connor run point on the movie didn't work for me. I thought it would, but it didn't.

Spoiler:
Killing John Connor with a model 101/T-800 Terminator (Schwarzeneggar) in the beginning kinda ruined it for me from the start. It's like it voided all the greatness that was T2.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#1329 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:39 pm

I recall posting a while ago that I get some of my media recommendations from RS so his taste is in my universe. But taste is subjective and there can be subtle and not so subtle differences. I appreciate the discussion. At a minimum it opens my mind up to new possibilities and perspectives. I’ve judged people for what they liked in the past and that didn’t work for me.

Also, and’1 on the lurking/posting thing. I really enjoy the opinions of this community. For the most part everyone keeps it civil without much mod intervention. We are a mature bunch. It’s encouraging to me when people make the decision to post after hanging out for a while. I did the same. I’m not sure about other boards but I have a hunch ours has more activity and thoutful discussion. But that’s pure speculation on my part.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#1330 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:45 pm

This is one of the best threads on the site. Its great to get reviews from people with different tastes.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#1331 » by Mags FTW » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:57 pm

4xBuck wrote:Terminator Dark Fate sucks.

Having an ancient Sarah Connor run point on the movie didn't work for me. I thought it would, but it didn't.

Spoiler:
Killing John Connor with a model 101/T-800 Terminator (Schwarzeneggar) in the beginning kinda ruined it for me from the start. It's like it voided all the greatness that was T2.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I did not like John dying 5 minutes into the movie. I was still trying to get over it by the time the first action set piece started.

It was like in Alien 3 when Hicks and Newt died right away, but at least you got some time to soak it in and they were given a funeral. This was like, "Hey remember the protagonist from one of the greatest action movies of all-time? Well he's dead now, but here's somebody else you know nothing about. Start caring about her!"
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,867

Post#1332 » by engelmartin » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:04 pm

Did anyone else love Patriot on Amazon? It's so good. Highly recommended.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1333 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:05 pm

engelmartin wrote:Did anyone else love Patriot on Amazon? It's so good. Highly recommended.

I loved it. Got way darker than I expected in the second season. I wish it hadn't gotten cancelled.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#1334 » by blazza18 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
engelmartin wrote:Did anyone else love Patriot on Amazon? It's so good. Highly recommended.

I loved it. Got way darker than I expected in the second season. I wish it hadn't gotten cancelled.

Dark would be putting it lightly. Second season got weird.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#1335 » by chonestown » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:28 am

The foremost critic of our times:

Read on Twitter
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#1336 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:33 am

chonestown wrote:The foremost critic of our times:

Read on Twitter

Think he even watches the show?
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#1337 » by stellation » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:55 am

I was a little disappointed in the first episode of Catherine The Great- everything about it was fine to impressive, but it just didn't quite click for me (dare I sound like a GoT devotee, but I felt like they tried to cram too much storyline into the one episode). I was happy that it presented her court/Moscow at the time as a bawdy place- I've always felt there was a lot of historical (and real time) misogyny in the way she has been portrayed; she's always painted as an outlier who had many lovers, not that she was just behaving in line with society of the day. It's an unfortunately common way for people to bring powerful women into question throughout history, although she copped it more than most (crazy how consistent a take it is across different cultures- men really can suck).

Genuinely fascinating bit of history, I'm hoping it picks up a bit in the next episode.
#FreeChuckDiesel
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#1338 » by 4xBuck » Mon Nov 4, 2019 1:33 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
4xBuck wrote:Terminator Dark Fate sucks.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I did not like John dying 5 minutes into the movie. I was still trying to get over it by the time the first action set piece started.

It was like in Alien 3 when Hicks and Newt died right away, but at least you got some time to soak it in and they were given a funeral. This was like, "Hey remember the protagonist from one of the greatest action movies of all-time? Well he's dead now, but here's somebody else you know nothing about. Start caring about her!"

Spoiler:
That was exactly it for me. I called it getting "Iron Eagled"... Iron Eagle was a semi B movie from the 80's with Lou Gossett Jr that made a bunch of real bad sequels. In the first sequel they "killed"/shot down the kid from the first movie. It would have been like killing Daniel in the beginning of Karate Kid II.

T2 is one of my favorite movies and like I mentioned, this movie just ruined the whole feel good part of an Arnold Terminator saving John Connor... Even though Darkfate actually did an OK job explaining the new situation without John Connor, I just couldn't get over it.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#1339 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:39 pm

stellation wrote:I was a little disappointed in the first episode of Catherine The Great- everything about it was fine to impressive, but it just didn't quite click for me (dare I sound like a GoT devotee, but I felt like they tried to cram too much storyline into the one episode). I was happy that it presented her court/Moscow at the time as a bawdy place- I've always felt there was a lot of historical (and real time) misogyny in the way she has been portrayed; she's always painted as an outlier who had many lovers, not that she was just behaving in line with society of the day. It's an unfortunately common way for people to bring powerful women into question throughout history, although she copped it more than most (crazy how consistent a take it is across different cultures- men really can suck).

Genuinely fascinating bit of history, I'm hoping it picks up a bit in the next episode.

I understand your point regarding a double standard that unfairly diminishes the legacy of females in history (who merely did the same things the men did). But my take after reading a lot on monarchs, generals, and presidents is that the more power someone has, the worse they treat others, regardless of gender. I know that is not your point. My contribution is merely "they are all pretty awful."

I recently read "The Heir Apparent" which was a really interesting book about Edward VII, who was an English king around the turn of the century. He spent the majority of his life seducing married women, hunting, gambling, and shirking any responsibilities that would have been beneficial to his country (that bankrolled and enabled his lifestyle). His mother (Queen Victoria) on the other hand, had none of his vices, but was absolutely a more selfish and manipulative figure. That is two historical figures, one permissive and the other prude. But both awful in their use of privilege and power.

There is a great two volume (Last Train to Memphis, and Careless Love) biography on Elvis Pressley (another king) that really unfolds how this whole process develops over time. He started off such a sweet, earnest, and simple kid. Fast forward and he was a really sad and broken guy, his undoing being that he got whatever he ever wanted.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#1340 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:02 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:I recall posting a while ago that I get some of my media recommendations from RS so his taste is in my universe. But taste is subjective and there can be subtle and not so subtle differences. .

Agreed. Some people like Michael Bay movies and some people have good taste. :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks