Matisse Thybulle Defense

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#81 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Nov 5, 2019 1:49 am

robbie84 wrote:
Marcus wrote:Just the mere fact that he wants it this bad and legit takes pride in making these kinds of plays is the most impressive part to me. He legit wants to be this guy. It's Rodman esque in that sense.

You guys really need to watch a Marcus Smart highlight reel. He's even better than Thybulle.

You seem to really want to talk about Marcus Smart, with multiple posts about him this thread for seemingly no reason. How about you start a thread about him, then you can talk about him all day long.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,374

Post#82 » by robbie84 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 8:30 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
Marcus wrote:Just the mere fact that he wants it this bad and legit takes pride in making these kinds of plays is the most impressive part to me. He legit wants to be this guy. It's Rodman esque in that sense.

You guys really need to watch a Marcus Smart highlight reel. He's even better than Thybulle.

You seem to really want to talk about Marcus Smart, with multiple posts about him this thread for seemingly no reason. How about you start a thread about him, then you can talk about him all day long.

It's a thread about a young defensive stud.
If you want to compare this rookie to anyone for a standard of what it means to be a guard candidate for DPOY then Marcus Smart is that standard- yet I'm the only one who's mentioned him so far.
Their defensive games look pretty similar- yet this kid is still a poor man's Marcus Smart.
If you don't like it, ignore me.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,076

Post#83 » by The-Power » Tue Nov 5, 2019 10:46 am

robbie84 wrote:yet I'm the only one who's mentioned him so far.

And maybe that should tell you something.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#84 » by The_Hater » Tue Nov 5, 2019 2:11 pm

robbie84 wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

If you want to compare this rookie to anyone for a standard of what it means to be a guard candidate for DPOY then Marcus Smart is that standard- yet I'm the only one who's mentioned him so far.
Their defensive games look pretty similar- yet this kid is still a poor man's Marcus Smart

Their defensive games/styles are actually nothing alike at all. Not even remotely.

If you took the time to watch Thybuille play instead of derailing the thread with your non-stop posts about Smart then people wouldn’t have to explain this to you. Plus everyone already knows Smart is a great defensive player so I have no idea what you think you’re proving here. But I will take your advice and hit the ignore button.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,374

Post#85 » by robbie84 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 10:01 pm

The_Hater wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:You seem to really want to talk about Marcus Smart, with multiple posts about him this thread for seemingly no reason. How about you start a thread about him, then you can talk about him all day long.

Their defensive games look pretty similar- yet this kid is still a poor man's Marcus Smart

Their defensive games/styles are actually nothing alike at all. Not even remotely.

If you took the time to watch Thybuille play instead of derailing the thread with your non-stop posts about Smart then people wouldn’t have to explain this to you. Plus everyone already knows Smart is a great defensive player so I have no idea what you think you’re proving here. But I will take your advice and hit the ignore button.

You're joking right? I've watched all of Thybulle's defensive highlights. His perimeter defensive game is just like Smart's. He's taller so he is more successful with the trailing over the head blocks but he's a calculated gambler who sticks to his man like glue and recovers from getting beaten to still alter shots when the jumpshooter thinks he's beaten him- or pokes the ball from behind unexpectedly just like Smart. It's what great defenders do. They find a way to recover and alter the offensive players plans so they have to make a rushed decision.
He's an excellent defender, he's just less versatile than Marcus and not quite as strong. But he'll only get better with experience and stronger in the gym.
We have a thread here drooling over Thybulle with a bunch of comparisons to other gret defensive NBA players and I am the first one to mention Marcus Smart as the one to compare to if you want a benchmark.
I don't think it's inappropriate to mention Smart considering he's literally the best guard defender in the NBA and was all NBA first defensive team and should have been first team more than just last season.

When I read a thread and RealGmer's say stuff like 'I've never seen someone recover so well or stick to their man so well-it's amazing!' like Thybulle is the next coming of Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman etc, then they obviously haven't watched Marcus Smart enough because he's been doing what Thybulle does since he was a rookie every...single... night and it's laughable- so if someone points it out, don't get mad lol.

So yeah, Thybulle is great, one of the best defensive rookies we've seen, but he can't hold a jockstrap for Marcus Smart- yet. lol some of you jokers just don't watch anyone other than your own team. 'Never seen that before omg!'. Then get salty when someone makes a valid point about a comparable player who's better at the exact same thing you're frothing about.

Here's some education for yall. 'His game is nothing like Marcus Smart's'. get out buddy looooool.
Marcus Smart highlights as a rookie, just a few games...

One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#86 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 5, 2019 10:23 pm

robbie84 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

You're joking right? I've watched all of Thybulle's defensive highlights. His perimeter defensive game is just like Smart's. He's taller so he is more successful with the trailing over the head blocks but he's a calculated gambler who sticks to his man like glue and recovers from getting beaten to still alter shots when the jumpshooter thinks he's beaten him- or pokes the ball from behind unexpectedly just like Smart. It's what great defenders do. They find a way to recover and alter the offensive players plans so they have to make a rushed decision.
He's an excellent defender, he's just less versatile than Marcus and not quite as strong. But he'll only get better with experience and stronger in the gym.
We have a thread here drooling over Thybulle with a bunch of comparisons to other gret defensive NBA players and I am the first one to mention Marcus Smart as the one to compare to if you want a benchmark.
I don't think it's inappropriate to mention Smart considering he's literally the best guard defender in the NBA and was all NBA first defensive team and should have been first team more than just last season.

When I read a thread and RealGmer's say stuff like 'I've never seen someone recover so well or stick to their man so well-it's amazing!' like Thybulle is the next coming of Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman etc, then they obviously haven't watched Marcus Smart enough because he's been doing what Thybulle does since he was a rookie every...single... night and it's laughable- so if someone points it out, don't get mad lol.

So yeah, Thybulle is great, one of the best defensive rookies we've seen, but he can't hold a jockstrap for Marcus Smart- yet. lol some of you jokers just don't watch anyone other than your own team. 'Never seen that before omg!'. Then get salty when someone makes a valid point about a comparable player who's better at the exact same thing you're frothing about.

Here's some education for yall. 'His game is nothing like Marcus Smart's'. get out buddy looooool.

The player comp board would be a good place for a Thybulle v Smart conversation or a Smart v any perimeter defender discussion for that matter. I'm sure you'll find the field a bit more acceptable to these types of additions to a thread.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#87 » by arh1109 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 10:40 pm

draymond
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,477

Post#88 » by Hipster Doofus » Tue Nov 5, 2019 11:06 pm

Mahcus who?
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#89 » by basketball royalty » Tue Nov 5, 2019 11:26 pm

Seems like his lack of scoring is keeping him off the court at the moment.
props to Turbozone for the sig
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#90 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Nov 5, 2019 11:37 pm

robbie84 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,346

Post#91 » by dakomish23 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 12:28 am

A lot of energy to follow those great defensive instincts. If he can be a decent 3PT shooter, he’s got a place in the NBA.

The GOAT stuff needs to stop. Can we let him play a season first?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#92 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Nov 6, 2019 12:43 am

basketball royalty wrote:Seems like his lack of scoring is keeping him off the court at the moment.

Last night it was his foul trouble. Other than that his minutes have been pretty consistent around 20 per game.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#93 » by jason bourne » Wed Nov 6, 2019 1:03 am

knuckles862 wrote:His defense is very good he is already an impact player as just a rookie. Brand did well drafting him

Brand had to trade #24 and #33 to the Celtics for #20 in order to get Thybull.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#94 » by basketball royalty » Wed Nov 6, 2019 9:42 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Seems like his lack of scoring is keeping him off the court at the moment.

Last night it was his foul trouble. Other than that his minutes have been pretty consistent around 20 per game.

Damn. I dropped him in fantasy. Was keeping him for his STOCKS but thought his PT was going to Korkmaz. Maybe I’ll pick him back up on a bit.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,479

Post#95 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 10:52 pm

He's Andre Roberson 2.0. Otherworldly defender, but beyond anemic on the offensive end.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,176

Post#96 » by mowcrowbar » Wed Nov 6, 2019 10:55 pm

But less offense than Tony Allen, Sefolosha and Roberson
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,136

Post#97 » by AdagioPace » Wed Nov 6, 2019 11:35 pm

his first name is already HOF worthy....the rest is secondary...
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#98 » by Ericb5 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 1:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:He's Andre Roberson 2.0. Otherworldly defender, but beyond anemic on the offensive end.

His offense is basically where it should be as a rookie drafted where he was picked, which would normally have him on the bench. His defense is so great that it has thrust him into the rotation before his offense is ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#99 » by Gus McCrae » Thu Nov 7, 2019 6:04 am

Not getting any minutes.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#100 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:33 pm

Saw he got a DNP-CD last night— was this just because of his offense?

Return to The General Board