Why can't Knicks just be a good team?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Re: Why can't Knicks just be a good team? 

Post#81 » by jpengland » Tue Nov 5, 2019 9:44 am

Continued terrible decision making and short-termism.

Robinson and Barrett could at least be a start to getting some respectability but the signings in the summer suggest that the same issues are still present

The culture has also been toxic (due to the decision making) for two decades. Even if Robinson and Barrett are good picks, can they thrive in that culture?
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#82 » by Jazztop » Tue Nov 5, 2019 12:01 pm

sfernald wrote:Owner, simple as that.

Worst in professional sports.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#83 » by Triple7 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 12:03 pm

LKN wrote:The early to mid 90s Knicks were really good. They came the closest (IMO) to having a real shot to knock off those great Bulls teams.

Ewing unfortunately never had enough offensive help and was asked to do a bit too much on offense.

Most teams during the 90’s had around 2-3 offensive options, including the knicks. They are just unfortunate to ran through the great MJ and the bulls. Same thing happened with Malone and the Jazz. They were unlucky losing to the Rockets when MJ retired. If MJ never returned, the up and coming Shaq and the Magic, would have dominated the east. Saying Ewing never had enough offensive help is false imo.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,320

Post#84 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 12:13 pm

jpengland wrote:Continued terrible decision making and short-termism.

Robinson and Barrett could at least be a start to getting some respectability but the signings in the summer suggest that the same issues are still present

The culture has also been toxic (due to the decision making) for two decades. Even if Robinson and Barrett are good picks, can they thrive in that culture?

I agree that the decision making has been bad but the culture has been nowhere near toxic since Phil left
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#85 » by Swish1906 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 12:54 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:Why couldn't we just ignore KPs brother like teams have learned to ignore Lavaar Ball? SMH.

I just have the feeling that if KP were forced to stay he wouldve met this Barrett kid and hit it off. Mills and Perry panicked. If that's even what happened
In the first place. Did KP ever confirm his trade request? Last words #stay woke

As Mavs fan i follow every beat writer etc around the Mavs and since the KP introduction presser (Mavs welcomed his brother too but that they do with every agent/important person going all back to greeting Geschwindner back in 1998) i didnt read his name one single time. Right now i had to google for his name anyway because i forgot it. But there was nothing about his brother the past six months, not even a single quote.

About KP being the snake, wanting out, threatening to finish rehab in europe: The crap Mills spilled out in the days after the trade was amazing. The famous meeting hours before the trade when KP demanded the trade blabla. Donnie Nelson was since two days in NY, meeting with Perry/Mills to negociate the trade (Donnie confirmed that later). The Knicks decided days before the "meeting" to trade KP...

Regarding KP wanting out:
- his best teammate was washed up Melo
- multiple terrible coaches
- multiple different GM

This all in his first three years in the league...

Then he watched the Knicks signing allready washed up C. Lee for 50m in 2016 and signing THJ for 72m in 2017. And in 2018 the Knicks refused to give him his max extension (the amount of the **** Lee+THJ contracts + 30m). Yes he was injuried but an ACL injury isnt that bad anymore and yes, you give a talent like KP such an extension. Do you really blame him if he didnt have a lot of desire to stay with the Knicks? Injuries can always happen. Gordon Hayward...the guy was never considered injury prone and 5min into his contract with his new team he blows his leg out...

The MLE jumped to 10m, there are 4th and 5th options getting 15m a year...so its not even that big of a risk to gamble with 30m for KP. Its a risk you have to take with a 24y old that showed such a potential and looks like the perfect Robin to your franchise batman.

Yes, when KP returns to NY the fans are going to vent their frustration towards him and they are going to have fun doing it. I dont think KP is going to care about it. But the guys who will love the hostile atmosphere against KP the most are going to be Dolan and Mills. They are going to laugh their asses off that KP is the scapegoat....
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#86 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Nov 5, 2019 1:35 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:The Knicks haven't re-signed a first round pick beyond their rookie contract since Charlie Ward in the mid 90's.

Mismanagement at the highest level.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Still can't believe that guy went undrafted (NFL) after winning the Heisman.

To be fair though all anybody does is convince us that everybody we draft sucks and that we overrate everybody.....till they arent here and then the narrative changes to how impatient we are. I've yet to hear the collective NBA fanbase come to the conclusion that we have awesome prospects.

I'd say there was a pretty overwhelming consensus that Zinger was a cornerstone prospect. Still can't believe he was giftwrapped to Dallas for such an underwhelming package.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 910

Post#87 » by syrus3 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:21 pm

Front office aside, the Knicks need better luck in the draft. Not getting KAT was a huge blow. It’s been terrible for KAT too.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,998

Post#88 » by anotherhomer » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:39 pm

Knicks obviously have horrible management in every part of the way.......so bad, that hopefully they don't screw up a legit prospect in RJ Barrett
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#89 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:47 pm

im late to this thread... i assume someone already posted a Dolan .gif? consider this my And-1 on that post
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#90 » by ballup » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:43 pm

The Knicks relied too much on their status symbol than actual program structure. This past decade, their strategy was to have cap space and they thought the free agents would roll on in. The problem for them is that most big free agents care more about the game. Yes, there will be an instance or two of a top free agent like Lebron going to the Lakers. Kawhi went to the Clippers in the condition of them acquiring another star. Butler went to the Heat, a team with a built team culture. Same with Kyrie and KD to the Nets. Don't get me wrong, location matters. See how the Mavericks have been free agent players for years without success despite always having a solid team. But when location your only sell, you just stay squatted rolling the dice, waiting for luck to bail you out

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#91 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:19 pm

When you swing for the fences, you risk striking out. To be consistently good, you hit singles.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,933

Post#92 » by Stannis » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 am

I feel lot of the GB do not understand that Dolan doesn't just own the Knicks, he owns MSG. So I'm not even sure if he could just sell the Knicks if he wanted to.

He's actually well liked by NY Rangers fans. This is one of the reasons why some fans, including myself, have some hope. Because when he doesn't meddle and finds the right guys, things look ok. He just needs to find the ballz to fire Mills.
Free Palestine
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#93 » by tundraknight » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:42 am

I wonder which team will get good first between the Knicks and Hornets.

Both teams seem like they’ve been stuck in a bottomless pit as losers for an eternity.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#94 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:07 am

Owner. They could have had prime Lowry. I mean he did get the short end of the Bargnani sweepstakes and left a sour taste in his mouth dealing with the Raps.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to The General Board