Mavs looking legit

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Will the Mavs make the 2020 playoffs?

Yes, Mavs will make the playoffs
68%
No, Mavs will not make the playoffs
15%
I'm not sure if the Mavs will make the playoffs
17%

Total votes: 356

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Re: Mavs looking legit 

Post#101 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 7, 2019 7:48 pm

Forbes wrote:For what ever reason we have had Dwight Powell on guys like Vucevic and Anthony Davis at the end of games instead of putting KP on them, that needs to change it we plan on winning.

kristpas was always adamant about not banging downlow on the defensive end to preserve his energy on the offensive end.

that's why knicks started rolo and then kanter next to kristaps, even though he should be a small ball 5.

"I think it's better for us," Porzingis said Wednesday. "Me at the 4, especially if I'm playing against a non-shooting 4, I can do a lot. When I'm playing against the 5, I'm fighting with the big a lot of times and I'm wasting a lot of energy. Obviously, offensively I have an advantage at center, but I'm just more comfortable playing at the 4."
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Post#102 » by ZB9 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 7:54 pm

We know who 6 playoff teams will be in the west.

The other two spots will be between the Mavs, Suns, Wolves, and Blazers. I bet the Mavs will make it.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#103 » by Lowtech801 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 8:35 pm

ejs78 wrote:As a Mavs

I find them very soft and it will show in the big games

Need to get KP involved way more especially in the post

Need to dump THJ and Lee for a better 3 & D player or a board gobbler at the 5

I do think they make the playoffs but they aren't doing any damage this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Which is fine as just making the playoffs is more than most expected.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#104 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 7, 2019 8:38 pm

I do also think they need some beef in the paint. I’d like to see them make a move at the deadline to fix that weakness. Tristan Thompson is a guy I’d like to see in Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#105 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 7, 2019 8:39 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Mavs need a better center...Powell and Kleber are too small and soft to properly fill the gap.

If they had assets to give, Adams would fit in perfectly here..

But yeah they do look good so far

Adams or Tristan Thompson

ZB9
Sixth Man

Post#106 » by ZB9 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 8:44 pm

Mr B wrote:

I do also think they need some beef in the paint. I’d like to see them make a move at the deadline to fix that weakness. Tristan Thompson is a guy I’d like to see in Dallas.

Heck no on Tristan Thompson. Maxi is a better shot blocker and can switch onto perimeter players if he needs to. and of course Maxi can shoot. One of the things that makes this Mavs offense so dangerous is the fact that every player on the floor can hit threes (even Boban). Tristan Thompson cannot shoot.

I dont know why yall are acting like their interior defense is a problem. The Mavs have one of the best interior defenses in the league.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#107 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 7, 2019 8:47 pm

Side beard wrote:Luka, KP and Rick have to work together. I understand that Luka is the wonderboy and wants to be the hero. But KP is lethal shooter. And he is not used properly. At all. For the most part of the game it seems that Luka does not want to use Porzingis. No pnr, no pick and pops. No post play, no cuts. Luka rather will pass to someone in the corner or tightly guarded.

Its only 7 games in to the new season, but they should at least try something few times a game.

I think you need to give KP time. He’s coming off a major injury and from being out a significant amount of time. By mid-season he should completely back and showing the things he did when he was in NY.

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#108 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:14 pm

Doncic is just too good at the moment I think they can get to 6th seed ahead of Spurs, Portland, Phoenix.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#109 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:19 pm

Ferulci wrote:I must say that for once it is very refreshing to see a fanbase being critical of their team even if they have a good record. Good for you, Mavs fans.
I have a question : why is Carlisle changing line-up so match ? Is he auditioning the role players to see the best combination ? Or is he testing a new style where the lineup is changed to match the opponent strengths ?

He’s trying to find the lineup that meshes with each other the best. He has new players in the starting lineup so it will likely take a couple weeks for him to settle on a starting 5.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#110 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:36 pm

ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Heck no on Tristan Thompson. Maxi is a better shot blocker and can switch onto perimeter players if he needs to. and of course Maxi can shoot. One of the things that makes this Mavs offense so dangerous is the fact that every player on the floor can hit threes (even Boban). Tristan Thompson cannot shoot.

I dont know why yall are acting like their interior defense is a problem. The Mavs have one of the best interior defenses in the league.

They need a stronger defender in the paint though and they need a stronger rebounder next to KP. Maxi great but he’s not a strong rebounder. He’s not strong enough to push guys around. Boban is capable but he plays on restricted minutes. A guy like Thompson would bring the interior D/rebounding and would also bring a little attitude to the Mavs. Him playing next to KP’s shot blocking ability and their interior defense and rebounding would be much better. That is going to be needed if they do happen to make the playoffs.

TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#111 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:42 pm

Justin Jackson should be playing more and THJ less.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#112 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:47 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Doncic is just too good at the moment I think they can get to 6th seed ahead of Spurs, Portland, Phoenix.

I believe that’s just why they won’t be in the playoffs. It’s almost impossible that Luka continues with that kind of game the whole year. Some might se him doing mistakes, but I see 27/10/9 with insane usage for 20 years old player. He’s playing like no one 20 years old player has played before. Unsustainable.
LukaV
Senior
And1: 687

Post#113 » by LukaV » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:02 pm

The Mavs shouldn't rush into anything trade-wise, plus they have great chemistry currently and they're still working on integrating all the new players and shaking off the rust of Porzingis. If a good trade opportunity presents itself, great, if not, ride the season out as it is. This summer, Courtney Lee's contract comes off the books and Hardaway's contract becomes expiring (or perhaps he even declines his player option to sign a long-term contract elsewhere, if the FA pool dries up enough), which would give the Mavs lots more maneuvering space.
ZB9
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by ZB9 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

They need a stronger defender in the paint though and they need a stronger rebounder next to KP. Maxi great but he’s not a strong rebounder. He’s not strong enough to push guys around. Boban is capable but he plays on restricted minutes. A guy like Thompson would bring the interior D/rebounding and would also bring a little attitude to the Mavs. Him playing next to KP’s shot blocking ability and their interior defense and rebounding would be much better. That is going to be needed if they do happen to make the playoffs.

I disagree man. The Mavs interior defense has not been a problem thus far and I doubt it will be. It has actually been a strength for them, not a weakness.

Thompson is a poor man's Erik Dampier and there is no way that they will give up anything to trade for him. Thompson doesn't fit what the team wants to do on offense. He cant shoot threes, he's not a threat in the screen and roll game...and Thompson is certainly not strong enough on D to compensate for his offensive limitations.

imho
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#115 » by bran muffin » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:11 pm

This thread is going to get bumped when the Mavs go on a 5-game losing streak later this season.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,715

Post#116 » by HotRocks34 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:45 pm

Data ---> Mavs currently 3rd-best bench in the NBA behind Bucks, Clippers
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/20/7/diffeff/1-1

Metric used is "Deff", bolded and to the far right. Difference in efficiency between the team's bench unit and its opponents' bench efficiency, I believe.

Bucks ------> +18.7
Clips -------> +18.4
Mavs -------> +16.7

Also 5th-best bench in PPG (45.3). Just click on the "pts" vertical to sort by this category (LAC bench leads at 55.1 PPG).
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
FelixD
Sophomore
And1: 328

Post#117 » by FelixD » Thu Nov 7, 2019 11:10 pm

Porzingis has been straight up bad these last games. His synergy with Doncic looks negative. I know its only 7 games but even Seth Curry and D.Wright looks decent with Luka.
He is doing nothing in 4th quarters except chucking bad shots.
For someone who is getting a max, his impact is wiggins-esque.

Read on Twitter
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#118 » by bran muffin » Thu Nov 7, 2019 11:54 pm

FelixD wrote:For someone who is getting a max, his impact is wiggins-esque.

You sound like someone who doesn't actually watch Mavs games. KP has been the Mavs' best player on defense.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#119 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:32 am

Luka is playing at an MVP level early in the season when he's still fresh but depth and defense is still going to be an issue. Roster depth is what will carry a team through tough stretches of the season when your star players are bogged down from high minutes played, injuries occur and when motivation isn't at its highest which is something we see with many teams in the middle of the season.

I'm just not sure you can rely on Luka and Zinger playing at an elite level throughout the season without a deep roster to balance the load. Mavs have a great coach, a solid system and an elite player in Luka but it might be too much to ask of Luka to carry this team in the loaded West. That's really my main concern with the Mavs
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,619

Post#120 » by Swish1906 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:11 am

FelixD wrote:Porzingis has been straight up bad these last games. His synergy with Doncic looks negative. I know its only 7 games but even Seth Curry and D.Wright looks decent with Luka.
He is doing nothing in 4th quarters except chucking bad shots.
For someone who is getting a max, his impact is wiggins-esque.

[tweet]

How about you give a guy who is coming back a 18 months injury more than 7 games? KP and Doncic saying it all the time that they still have to learn to read the other on the court. KP coming back in shape is a work in progress and also the chemistry between the two main go to guys...

Thats a perfect example of the work in progress
Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board