If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then...

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then... 

Post#1 » by Pelly24 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:30 am

If Gordon Hayward is back to being an all-star level player, then the Celtics probably have the best chance to come out of the eastern conference this year. Philly's reliance on Ben Simmons will cost them late in games and Boston has Kemba and Hayward and Tatum as guys that can hit tough shots in close quarters (with varying levels of success).

Really, it always came down to that. If Hayward were at all-star level last year, the Celtics probably get 55+ wins and get to at least conference finals.

Idk if I buy it yet for Hayward because he put up great stats against bad teams last year, too. But it looks promising so far.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Re: If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then... 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:38 am

No sir, not with Enes Kanter/Robert Williams starting at C. Somehow they've already played the Knicks twice, the Cavs and now the Hornets.

Solid start to the year though, with much credit to Hayward re-blossoming into his old self.

Edit) When I replied "no sir" I swear it said the Celtics would represent the East in the Finals! That or I misread it...
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#3 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:38 am

I'd like to see this hold up for a few more weeks before i fully buy in on him being his 16-17 self, but it completely changes the teams ceiling. They do not match up well with Philly at all though.

Tatum has been awesome too, his on/off is +26.7 lol, that is insanity.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#4 » by Pelly24 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:43 am

The Comedian wrote:I'd like to see this hold up for a few more weeks before i fully buy in on him being close to his self from 16-17, but it completely changes the teams ceiling. They do not match up well with Philly at all though.

Lol yeah I have to see about that. He's averaging 21/8/2 on 52 TS% I really don't buy him as an elite talent.

I have to wait it out for Hayward. Center is still a problem I forget they don't have Baynes (which sucks).
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#5 » by Black Mage » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:46 am

I am very happy for him after all his hard work to return from a gruesome injury. Celtics still need a big man tho.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#6 » by bisme37 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:46 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:No sir, not with Enes Kanter/Robert Williams starting at C. Somehow they've already played the Knicks twice, the Cavs and now the Hornets.

Solid start to the year though, with much credit to Hayward re-blossoming into his old self.

Daniel Theis has been starting at C for the C's and playing very well. His positional defense is great and he's 3rd in the league in blocks per game despite only playing 22 mpg. Robert Williams and Grant Williams are coming along nicely and playing well too. Kanter has barely played so far this season but will add rebounding and scoring around the basket. And Vincent Poirier and Tacko Fall are in the mix as well.

So far the Celtics have been defending and rebounding the ball better this year as opposed to last, despite the loss of Horford and Baynes. Folks who want to make a big issue of our center position haven't been paying attention. We have 5 of them and they are getting the job done. If anything the Cs don't really have a true power forward but we have centers coming out of our ears.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#7 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:49 am

Pelly24 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I'd like to see this hold up for a few more weeks before i fully buy in on him being close to his self from 16-17, but it completely changes the teams ceiling. They do not match up well with Philly at all though.

Lol yeah I have to see about that. He's averaging 21/8/2 on 52 TS% I really don't buy him as an elite talent.

I have to wait it out for Hayward. Center is still a problem I forget they don't have Baynes (which sucks).

I'm much higher on Tatum than you lol. His combination of size, shooting, and defense is pretty damn impressive.

I don't think he will be a top 5 player or anything, but feel good about him eventually being top 10-20.
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,565

Post#8 » by BloodNinja » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:49 am

Celtics would still get slapped by the Bucks. No one on the inside. Giannis and Brook are too big to stop.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#9 » by kdthunderup » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:51 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:No sir, not with Enes Kanter/Robert Williams starting at C. Somehow they've already played the Knicks twice, the Cavs and now the Hornets.

What would the Celtics give up for Nerlens Noel?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#10 » by bisme37 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:51 am

kdthunderup wrote:

Nothing?
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,509

Post#11 » by S.W.A.N » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:58 am

Too early. Someone is going to make a trade or two that changes the landscape. Raps have two bigs in Gasol and Ibaka that might be on the block. Other teams will as well. Boston still has pieces it can trade to get it over the top, and I don't think Philly done making moves either, but they'd be looking for a pg not a big.
We the North
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#12 » by HoopsterJones » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:01 am

Hayward has been great. But that alone isn’t a guarantee the Celtics make it to the Finals.

PHI or MIL is more likely to make it to the Finals from the EC.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#13 » by scottyno » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:02 am

BloodNinja wrote:Celtics would still get slapped by the Bucks. No one on the inside. Giannis and Brook are too big to stop.

they weren't a week ago, did they grow since then
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#14 » by dorkestra » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:03 am

kdthunderup wrote:

Great defender but his size is similar to Theis who is a decent defender in his own right. I think they needed a more sizable option for their purposes. Drummond, Adams or a similarly sized pony.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#15 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:07 am

kdthunderup wrote:

Nothing. Too focused on high-character guys this season.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#16 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:09 am

I don’t think they can make it out the east...but ECF is possible. I had their ceiling before the year at about 52 wins and a 2nd round out. Not ready to change that yet
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#17 » by alessandrux » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:11 am

Really unfortunate that they gifted Baynes to the Suns, he would be amazing for the Celtics.

Regarding the topic, if the Celtics are healthy they have a real, but small, chance to come out of the east. Philadelphia and Milwaukee are still the heavy favorites.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#18 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:14 am

Celtics are still a piece behind the Philly/Milwaukee tier
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#19 » by BigTrade92 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:15 am

Celtics will make a trade for a Center by the deadline.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#20 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:17 am

The Celtics have already played 3 rookies at center this season (Poirier, Fall, Grant Williams), along with a 2nd-year player (Rob Williams), a 3rd-year player (Theis), Kanter, and whoever you want to call the "center" in a no-center lineup. I expect the committee approach to continue, along with its implicit gamble on sufficiently rapid player development.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to The General Board