If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then...

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then... 

Post#21 » by Ill News » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:39 am

They're a frontcourt player away from being in the Sixers/Bucks tier. Smart(!) has been their closing center for a couple of games now, and while he's been phenomenal at it (he's shut down Giannis, Love, and Randle), it'll eventually take its toll on his body. It's just unsustainable.

That said, Boston has an absolutely lethal wing rotation right now in Hayward/Tatum/Brown. The first two are averaging 20+ ppg, and Brown isn't far behind. If they can sustain that and welcome a better center (Adams?), watch out.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#22 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:40 am

bisme37 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:No sir, not with Enes Kanter/Robert Williams starting at C. Somehow they've already played the Knicks twice, the Cavs and now the Hornets.

Solid start to the year though, with much credit to Hayward re-blossoming into his old self.

Daniel Theis has been starting at C for the C's and playing very well. His positional defense is great and he's 3rd in the league in blocks per game despite only playing 22 mpg. Robert Williams and Grant Williams are coming along nicely and playing well too. Kanter has barely played so far this season but will add rebounding and scoring around the basket. And Vincent Poirier and Tacko Fall are in the mix as well.

The Celtics have been defending and rebounding the ball better this year as opposed to last, despite the loss of Horford and Baynes. Folks who want to make a big issue of our center position haven't been paying attention. We have 5 of them and they are getting the job done. If anything the Cs don't really have a true power forward but we have centers coming out of our ears.

I like Theis but going up against an Embiid or Giannis in the playoffs will be a different story. The Celtics have a chance the way the Heat/Raptors/healthy Pacers do, but the way I see it the Bucks/Sixers are still the teams to beat.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#23 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:47 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Celtics are still a piece behind the Philly/Milwaukee tier

Agreed. I do think they could win 2 against the Bucks, maybe 3 if everything goes right. But i think the Sixers would win in 5, just way too physically imposing and long, a horrible matchup.

Tatum is making the leap you and I predicted, which is fun. An efficient 24/9 and his usual defense again tonight.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,437

Post#24 » by bisme37 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:54 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:No sir, not with Enes Kanter/Robert Williams starting at C. Somehow they've already played the Knicks twice, the Cavs and now the Hornets.

Solid start to the year though, with much credit to Hayward re-blossoming into his old self.

Daniel Theis has been starting at C for the C's and playing very well. His positional defense is great and he's 3rd in the league in blocks per game despite only playing 22 mpg. Robert Williams and Grant Williams are coming along nicely and playing well too. Kanter has barely played so far this season but will add rebounding and scoring around the basket. And Vincent Poirier and Tacko Fall are in the mix as well.

The Celtics have been defending and rebounding the ball better this year as opposed to last, despite the loss of Horford and Baynes. Folks who want to make a big issue of our center position haven't been paying attention. We have 5 of them and they are getting the job done. If anything the Cs don't really have a true power forward but we have centers coming out of our ears.

I like Theis but going up against an Embiid or Giannis in the playoffs will be a different story. The Celtics have a chance the way the Heat/Raptors/healthy Pacers do, but the way I see it the Bucks/Sixers are still the teams to beat.

I'm loving the way the C's are playing but I'm sure the Sixers would be favored in playoff series. I was just correcting the "Celtics can't win because they start Kanter and his sucky defense at center" narrative. The team said he would come off the bench before the season began. They started him against you guys in the season opener because he's had success against Embiid in the past. But the team plans to use him as an interior scoring punch off the bench this year.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#25 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:55 am

Simmons is closer to a superstar than not....this post is absurdity beyond words.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#26 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:57 am

bisme37 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
bisme37 wrote:

I'm loving the way the C's are playing but I'm sure the Sixers would be favored in playoff series. I was just correcting the "Celtics can't win because they start Kanter and his sucky defense at center" narrative. The team said he would come off the bench before the season began. They started him against you guys in the season opener because he's had success against Embiid in the past. But the team plans to use him as an interior scoring punch off the bench this year.

Yeah I have no doubt you guys will put up a rock solid RS, the way Brad Stevens always does. I'm thinking ahead to a playoff series against the Bucks or Sixers where they will likely need another big man to compete.

Do you think you'll go after one before the deadline?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#27 » by bisme37 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:01 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Yeah I have no doubt you guys will put up a rock solid RS, the way Brad Stevens always does. I'm thinking ahead to a playoff series against the Bucks or Sixers where they will likely need another big man to compete.

Do you think you'll go after one before the deadline?

I have no idea who it would be, honestly. And I feel like the players who teams would want in a trade aren't going to be available unless it's for a center who's a major talent upgrade. IMO they aren't going to trade for a center just because he's a center.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#28 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:02 am

The Comedian wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I'd like to see this hold up for a few more weeks before i fully buy in on him being close to his self from 16-17, but it completely changes the teams ceiling. They do not match up well with Philly at all though.

Tatum has been awesome too, his on/off is +26.7 lol, that is insanity.

Lol yeah I have to see about that. He's averaging 21/8/2 on 52 TS% I really don't buy him as an elite talent.

I have to wait it out for Hayward. Center is still a problem I forget they don't have Baynes (which sucks).

I'm much higher on Tatum than you lol. His combination of size, shooting, and defense is pretty damn impressive.

I don't think he will be a top 5 player or anything, but feel good about him eventually being top 10-20.

Guy misses the fact that Tatum's defense has been elite this year as well.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,565

Post#29 » by BloodNinja » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:03 am

scottyno wrote:
BloodNinja wrote:Celtics would still get slapped by the Bucks. No one on the inside. Giannis and Brook are too big to stop.

they weren't a week ago, did they grow since then

Reminds me of the playoffs when the Celtics won the series after the first game.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:03 am

As for the thread, winning the East. Nah. But we aren't the 9th seed like Prokarov says.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#31 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:06 am

Darth Celtic wrote:As for the thread, winning the East. Nah. But we aren't the 9th seed like Prokarov says.

CeltsFanSinceBirth looking good in that sig bet between those two. Nets have to finish ten games better IIRC.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#32 » by nzahir » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:07 am

Why did Boston give up Baynes again?

Will be hard to get a highly paid big without giving up at least Smart and I don't know if you guys should do that.

Mcgee is up for grabs if you guys want to match a couple salaries and some 2nds?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:08 am

nzahir wrote:Why did Boston give up Baynes again?

Will be hard to get a highly paid big without giving up at least Smart and I don't know if you guys should do that.

Mcgee is up for grabs if you guys want to match a couple salaries and some 2nds?

Kemba walker wouldn't be a Celtic if we kept Baynes. Pretty simple really.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#34 » by bisme37 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:11 am

Had to move Baynes to have enough cap space for Kemba.

Yeah people want the C's to trade for Steven Adams but he makes way too much to match contracts in a reasonable deal.

I like Javale pretty well actually.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#35 » by Higgs Boston » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:17 am

Besides a defensive C, Celtics also need a shooter SF-PF coming from the bench. We have too much fringe NBA players like wannabe, ojeleye, green, poirier, and the rookies (langford, edwards, grant), we lack depth.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#36 » by nzahir » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:28 am

bisme37 wrote:

Had to move Baynes to have enough cap space for Kemba.

Yeah people want the C's to trade for Steven Adams but he makes way too much to match contracts in a reasonable deal.

I like Javale pretty well actually.

What would you offer for Javale? Need 3.2M outgoing min or 5M max

Theis and 1-2 2nds for Mcgee?

Or Enes and a 2nd for Mcgee?

Enes might fit better next to AD. He still clogs up the lane, but a better offensive rebounder. Play some time with bench unit to get some post buckets?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:34 am

Why would we trade Kanter for a worse player?
scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#38 » by scottyno » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:49 am

Higgs Boston wrote:Besides a defensive C, Celtics also need a shooter SF-PF coming from the bench. We have too much fringe NBA players like wannabe, ojeleye, green, poirier, and the rookies (langford, edwards, grant), we lack depth.

They have 3 very good shooting wings already, yeah none comes off the bench, but their minutes are staggered enough that they'll never have to play a meaningful minute without 1, probably 2 in the game at a time. Sure another would help if they're replacing a zero like poirier, but it's definitely not a need. It's a different definition of depth, but by some measures they're actually one of the deeper teams in the league.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#39 » by Pelly24 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:51 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
Lol yeah I have to see about that. He's averaging 21/8/2 on 52 TS% I really don't buy him as an elite talent.

I have to wait it out for Hayward. Center is still a problem I forget they don't have Baynes (which sucks).

I'm much higher on Tatum than you lol. His combination of size, shooting, and defense is pretty damn impressive.

I don't think he will be a top 5 player or anything, but feel good about him eventually being top 10-20.

Guy misses the fact that Tatum's defense has been elite this year as well.

Tatum's been great on defense, but still needs to become an above average scorer.

And being a top 10-20 player is very hard in today's NBA. Not something to take foregranted. After his rookie year I did see him becoming an all-star, though.

Either way, this wing rotation is amazing so far. Rest of the east better look out.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,404

Post#40 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:54 am

Going with some PER 36 STATS OMG LOL but that robert williams is averaging 11/11/6 blocks+steals per 36. OMG LOL HES ONLY PLAYING A FEW MINUTES A GAME WHAT A JOKE.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot

Return to The General Board