Porzingis is shooting 41%

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Re: Porzingis is shooting 41% 

Post#41 » by mixerball » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:45 pm

Lost Angel wrote:I'm not an advanced stats guy, but he's not playing well enough to help Luka propel the team into the playoffs.

19 and 8 sounds good but not at his efficiency. Yes he is coming back from injury, but that can't be his excuse if this continues.

is he overrated? or do you think he's rights the ship?

he is coming from an injury but that cant be excuse if dallas continues to win?
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,793

Post#42 » by Stannis » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:59 pm

He was never an efficient scorer. That can change. He's still young.

But the best and most underrated part of his game, imo, is his defense.
Free Palestine
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#43 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:01 pm

Breaking News - Outrageously sized guy who missed 1.5 years is having struggles returning to a contact sport.

Zinger is 24. Lets not bury him yet. He is absolutely perfect spacing the floor for Luka and protecting the basket on the other end. He needs to get better at efficiently scoring in ISO because Luka cant do that 100% of the time and Dallas doesn't have anyone else that can come close to creating for themselves.

But he is going to be fine. He started strong and is struggling a bit now, exactly what you would expect from someone that missed 1.5 years. First rested games w/ the excitement he does well, now the conditioning is hitting a bit. Just calm down everyone.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#44 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:12 pm

Guys are rarely 100% after sitting out a year with those kind of injuries. The second and third years are what tells the better story.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#45 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:16 pm

See Gordan Hayward and a list of stars who came back after a long lay off. Proz will get it right and be a nice piece for them.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:37 pm

The good news is that he's not far from his lifetime numbers. The bad news is his lifetime numbers aren't impressive.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#47 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:44 pm

He’s never been an efficient finisher and has an affinity for turn around iso jumpers... so this makes sense. He’ll play better as the season progressed but I think it’ll be seen more on defense and offensive rebounding.
He is still a monster threat on pick n pop threes because he shoots them with no fear... really opens up the offense. But he’ll never be a high fg%. Guy
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#48 » by nicnac215 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:31 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Its 7 freaking games for him after an 18 month break. How about you give him some time? He was inefficient in NY because their whole offense was "dump the ball to KP in the highpost and let him shoot over smaller guys". I totally expect him to have a much better effiency under Rick Carlisle but the whole offense is still a work in progress:

This is the Mavs roster. They are still at the very beginning of a total makeover:
Guys with only 7 or fewer regular-season games with the Mavs
KP (7 games)
Wright (7 games)
Curry (7 games)
Boban (3 games)

Guys with fewer than 30 games with the Mavs
Hardaway Jr (26 games)
Lee (24 games)

Guys with fewer than 40 games with the Mavs
Jackson (36 games)

Guys with fewer than 82 games with the Mavs
Brunson (80 games)
Doncic (79 games)

Guys with 2+ seasons with the Mavs
Barea
DFS
Kleber
Powell

Curry played 70 games in a season on the mavs avg 29 mpg before.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,617

Post#49 » by UcanUwill » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:36 pm

Under 52 TS% this season, over 53 % career. I am definitely a fan and see big potential, but its about time he improves his scoring percentages, because as of now, on offense he is still rather potential than actual impact.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#50 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:43 pm

I mean a few things. First, ya the dude has been out over a year and a half, rust is a thing. Look at Gordon Hayward right now compared to Hayward this time last year, he is also playing in a brand new system.

Another thing, 7 game sample size can be heavily influenced by 1 or 2 bad performances. Before the ORL game (where he went against one of the best defenders) he had a TS% of 54% and an eFG% of 50%, those aren't great numbers but aren't bad enough to make a thread about. After the ORL game, his TS% is now 51% and eFG% is 48%, when 1 bad game can effect %s that much, you're still dealing with a really small sample size. You take away the ORL game and the DEN game, he would be sitting at a 56 TS% (above league average). Of course you could do the same the opposite way and take away his 2 best games and his numbers would look horrible. But that is kind of my point, we are still dealing with a sample size small enough where 1 or 2 bad games can drastically change his averages.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#51 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:50 pm

JohnWillow wrote:Harden is shooting 38 %.

I'm not an advanced stats guy, but he's not playing well enough to help Houston propel the team into the contender.

36 and 8 sounds good but not at his efficiency. Yes he is coming back from dissapointing playoff perfomance year in and year out, but that can't be his excuse if this continues.

Start your own thread man.
zeke45
Sophomore
And1: 139

Post#52 » by zeke45 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:05 pm

It's known that Porzingis regresses as the season goes on. His body cannot take all of the games. His last year on the Knicks he started hot and regressed mightily until finally tearing the ACL.

I think he projects to be a high end 3rd fiddle player on a contender.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,584

Post#53 » by Swish1906 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:36 pm

nicnac215 wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:Its 7 freaking games for him after an 18 month break. How about you give him some time? He was inefficient in NY because their whole offense was "dump the ball to KP in the highpost and let him shoot over smaller guys". I totally expect him to have a much better effiency under Rick Carlisle but the whole offense is still a work in progress:

This is the Mavs roster. They are still at the very beginning of a total makeover:
Guys with only 7 or fewer regular-season games with the Mavs
KP (7 games)
Wright (7 games)
Curry (7 games)
Boban (3 games)

Guys with fewer than 30 games with the Mavs
Hardaway Jr (26 games)
Lee (24 games)

Guys with fewer than 40 games with the Mavs
Jackson (36 games)

Guys with fewer than 82 games with the Mavs
Brunson (80 games)
Doncic (79 games)

Guys with 2+ seasons with the Mavs
Barea
DFS
Kleber
Powell

Curry played 70 games in a season on the mavs avg 29 mpg before.

Yeah, my fault for being lazy not to add that Currys 16-17 season pretty much cant count because the only guys left from that year are Powell, Finney-Smith and Barea.

When Seth was with the Mavs the main guys that year were Barnes, Matthews, Dirk, Deron Williams and Yogi Ferrell...so yes, he knows Rick and his playbook but the guys running it are pretty much all new. And you see it with Seth too, he isnt comfortable as he was in the 16-17 season...the team is still figuring things out
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#54 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:40 pm

porzingis is a very good floor spacer and rim protector right now. Thats a very good basketball player, hes only taking 2 layups a game, his percentages are gonna be kinda low from 2, especially since hes been shooting over 5'11 trainers for the last year and a half
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#55 » by jpengland » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:06 pm

He's had 18 months out and is playing good defense and is fighting for rebounds.

He needs to get comfier banging inside a little, he clearly looks scared of reinjury and that's only going to get better with time.

Once he starts getting a few more easy buckets using his size, that shooting percentage will shoot upwards and also open up better looks from mid range and three.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#56 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:15 pm

dirkforpres wrote:I give him a pass due to how much time he’s missed. By the end of the year, I expect him to be back to form though

he shot 43% his last season with the knicks.

he's a low efficient shooter that makes up for it by being good on defense.

but at 158mm tho ...
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,049

Post#57 » by Lalouie » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:48 pm

Lost Angel wrote:I'm not an advanced stats guy, but he's not playing well enough to help Luka propel the team into the playoffs.

19 and 8 sounds good but not at his efficiency. Yes he is coming back from injury, but that can't be his excuse if this continues.

wrong. that CAN be an excuse.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#58 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:48 pm

If it continues you are right, he can’t use it as an excuse. The fact is though, he’s coming off a very significant injury and coming off a 20 month layoff, not to mention playing on a new team in a new system. It will take time for him to return to form. Let’s see how he’s playing after the All Star break. My bet is that he’ll be putting numbers better than 19/8.

So as of right now is he overrated? Absolutely not, it’s too early to say one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#59 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:56 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:Truth is he's never once scored at league-average efficiency and he might not be sturdy enough for the post
This, he's a bad offensive player.
Dallas should try as hard as possible to find a second fiddle and make Porzingis their defensive anchor and third offensive option as Bosh in the LeBron Heat.

I definitely would not say he’s a bad player but I do agree that they could use another scorer. Their roster is far from being complete. In addition to another scorer they also need another defensive wing and a stronger defensive minded big that is a good rebounder.

It may take the Mavs at least two season to acquire all of these pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#60 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:19 pm

He was never good.... just put up over the top numbers on bad teams

PF lavine
Raptors til death

Return to The General Board