If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then...

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: If Gordon Hayward is an All-Star-level player this year then... 

Post#61 » by Gooner » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:33 am

He has to sustain this to be an all star caliber player, but he looks a lot better. It's a big plus for them, but I think they've lost a lot of their defense and toughness with departures of Horford and Baynes. I still see too many guys that want to score. It helps not having Rozier though, that guy was really the most disruptive force on the team last year. Backup point guard like that wasn't worth the headache. He made so much noise about sacrificing his talent last season, and now he is proving himself to be the worst starting point guard in he NBA.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#62 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:38 am

Theis is an excellent role player, you don't necessarily need low post scoring in today's league. Now obviously, in specific matchups, Theis won't be able to do his thing, but until the playoffs, you don't really have to worry about this. I think he stays as a starter even when Kanter is back, and the turk will be able to do his thing off the bench.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#63 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:43 am

scottyno wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I'm a believer in the Celtics this season.

I think they could come out the East. Their wing rotation is the best in the East.

Their 5 spot is the only weakness but I think RW3 should start and if Theis can get his 3-ball up and running he could be a good pairing with Kanter.

Playoff rotation:
14 min - Kemba, Smart, Tatum, Hayward, RW3
14 min - Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Kanter
10 min - Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, RW3
10 min - Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Theis, Kanter

Not sure where he fits exactly, but I'd be pretty surprised if Grant Williams isn't seeing meaningful minutes in the playoffs, depending on the matchup. Even as a rookie he's already earning Brad's trust in big spots, he won't light up the stat sheet, but he does a lot of the little things to help a team win.

Grant Williams might end up being our next James Posey. Really excited about him and his development.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#64 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:51 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:Celtics will make a trade for a Center by the deadline.

Jayson Tatum and a first round pick for Aron Baynes?

Come on, you're smarter than that. The asking price will be much greater than that when it comes to Baynes.

We're gonna have to add our other upcoming star PG, Brad Wanamaker, to the offer.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,904

Post#65 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:19 pm

scottyno wrote:

I think they could come out the East. Their wing rotation is the best in the East.

Their 5 spot is the only weakness but I think RW3 should start and if Theis can get his 3-ball up and running he could be a good pairing with Kanter.

Playoff rotation:

Not sure where he fits exactly, but I'd be pretty surprised if Grant Williams isn't seeing meaningful minutes in the playoffs, depending on the matchup. Even as a rookie he's already earning Brad's trust in big spots, he won't light up the stat sheet, but he does a lot of the little things to help a team win.

Maybe but I wouldn't count on a rookie like that just yet. Who do you take minute from in that rotation?

38: Tatum
34: Hayward, Brown, Kemba
28: Smart
24: Kanter, Theis, RW3
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,924

Post#66 » by Joshyjess » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:52 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
scottyno wrote:

Playoff rotation:

Maybe but I wouldn't count on a rookie like that just yet. Who do you take minute from in that rotation?

You take minutes from Kanter. Kanter is good at pretty much one or two things, Williams could easily develop into a really good all-around player. Kanter to me is more situational, whereas Williams seems to be much more versatile. You could also take minutes from RW3 (same reason as Kanter), depending on what you need at the time.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#67 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:53 pm

Best chance of coming out of the East? Lol. PUMP. YOUR. BRAKES.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,168

Post#68 » by strokerace » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:35 pm

If gordo is an allstar player this year, he will opt out of his player option and seek a new big contract.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#69 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:40 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Best chance of coming out of the East? Lol. PUMP. YOUR. BRAKES.

Can't we just find the most realistic take? The GB is now either "Celtics Exposes looking at the 1st pick" Or after a 6-1 start "celtics best chance coming out of the east"

Reality is they are in the middle of all that. They are a great team, but not a greatest team. They will be in the playoffs, but don't expect a 6-1 winning ratio for the rest of the year. Exactly what we have been saying since we signed Kemba.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,904

Post#70 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:41 pm

Joshyjess wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
scottyno wrote:

You take minutes from Kanter. Kanter is good at pretty much one or two things, Williams could easily develop into a really good all-around player. Kanter to me is more situational, whereas Williams seems to be much more versatile. You could also take minutes from RW3 (same reason as Kanter), depending on what you need at the time.

While you are correct, you know what you are going to get from Kanter in a playoff game. He will get you rebounds and points while fragmenting your D. He's consistent. Rookies are a problem because of their unreliability.

And yes taking minutes from Theis, RW3 and Kanter is the only acceptable place for G Will. Maybe cut 4 from each to give him 12 minutes.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,497

Post#71 » by ropjhk » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:42 pm

The Celtics can make a trade, but will they be willing to give up a key piece like Brown in order to go for it this season? Will Ainge finally pull the trigger? They probably won't get equal return in such a trade, but if it makes them a better team and takes them to the finals it could be worth it.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#72 » by chrisab123 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:42 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
kdthunderup wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:No sir, not with Enes Kanter/Robert Williams starting at C. Somehow they've already played the Knicks twice, the Cavs and now the Hornets.

Solid start to the year though, with much credit to Hayward re-blossoming into his old self.

What would the Celtics give up for Nerlens Noel?

Nothing. Too focused on high-character guys this season.

Noel is fine as long as you keep him away from his Everett buddies. Boston is not the best place for him. I like the player but there are outside factors at play that's been mentioned hundreds of times on the Celtics board.

In regards to the original question, if he is back to his All-Star level of talent then yes it puts the Celtics on the tier with Philly and Milwaukee due to depth. The only problem is that when the Celtics play both of those teams they might be outmatched. Ironically the Sixers who the Celtics have long owned are now a tougher match for them than Milwaukee. I think Milwaukee is going to miss Brogdan long term.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#73 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:45 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Best chance of coming out of the East? Lol. PUMP. YOUR. BRAKES.

Can't we just find the most realistic take? The GB is now either "Celtics Exposes looking at the 1st pick" Or after a 6-1 start "celtics best chance coming out of the east"

Reality is they are in the middle of all that. They are a great team, but not a greatest team. They will be in the playoffs, but don't expect a 6-1 winning ratio for the rest of the year. Exactly what we have been saying since we signed Kemba.

Sadly, this is what society has become now, whether it's basketball, other sports, politics, humor, etc. When you give everyone a voice, the only ones that end up getting attention are the extremely biased opinions, because they are different from 95% of the common-sense takes that the rest of the world have. And unfortunately, if those extreme takes are the only ones being paid attention to and parroted by the media, then it ends up brainwashing the rest of the world into thinking that this is the norm, and as a result, the weak-minded individuals follow suit. It's almost like self-fulfilling prophecies caused by hot takes. :lol: Donald Trump is the president of the United States because he exploited this junk. :lol:
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,826

Post#74 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:56 pm

ropjhk wrote:The Celtics can make a trade, but will they be willing to give up a key piece like Brown in order to go for it this season? Will Ainge finally pull the trigger? They probably won't get equal return in such a trade, but if it makes them a better team and takes them to the finals it could be worth it.

Jaylen Brown is not going anywhere, he has a poison pill provision in his contract by signing an extension after his rookie contract.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Post#75 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:05 pm

him playing like his old self will make kyrie and al horford and scary terry regret leaving the celtics and danny ainges warchest of odd draft picks
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,312

Post#76 » by CoP » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:24 pm

Pelly24 wrote:If Gordon Hayward is back to being an all-star level player, then the Celtics have a much better probably have the best chance to come out of the eastern conference this year.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,786

Post#77 » by Michael Jordan » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:27 pm

I also think Celtics have a great shot at the finals regardless of where they finish in the standings.

Cutting Rozier and Irving and allowing Hayward to be a play-maker has looked rewarding SO FAR.
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#78 » by IgorK » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:39 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Ainge is smart, so he will. Gordon is C's worst contract and he is not going to maintain this for longer than half a season.

How is the guy who's playing like the best player on the team, the C's worst contract? I need an explanation on this.

He's just trolling for a reaction, nobody is that dumb to actually think that.

I don't troll. Let's come back to this in February ;)
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#79 » by IgorK » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:44 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
IgorK wrote:If he keeps up playing well, Gordon will be the centerpiece for a trade that nets a starting 5. Easy to see Snake Ainge doing that.

Whats would be the point of this? Ainge finally has a team that looks like they gel on and off the court and Hayward is still takes up a sizable portion of any team's cap. I just dont see the point of this honestly.

I get calling him a snake and all that other talking points and stuff, but the IT trade was a legit smart move. Sold IT at his highest value, unless Hayward starts playing at all nba level, hes not going to have a high trade value with his contract.

The point is to get a legitimate big. Their current biggest 5 is a Taco and Kanter, and neither are getting you the big man presence they need to go deep in the playoffs.

IT trade was smart. Exactly why I say that Ainge will do this. They have Brown and Tatum, why hang on to Hayward who is older and more expensive?
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,479

Post#80 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:48 pm

IgorK wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
IgorK wrote:If he keeps up playing well, Gordon will be the centerpiece for a trade that nets a starting 5. Easy to see Snake Ainge doing that.

Whats would be the point of this? Ainge finally has a team that looks like they gel on and off the court and Hayward is still takes up a sizable portion of any team's cap. I just dont see the point of this honestly.

I get calling him a snake and all that other talking points and stuff, but the IT trade was a legit smart move. Sold IT at his highest value, unless Hayward starts playing at all nba level, hes not going to have a high trade value with his contract.

The point is to get a legitimate big. Their current biggest 5 is a Taco and Kanter, and neither are getting you the big man presence they need to go deep in the playoffs.

IT trade was smart. Exactly why I say that Ainge will do this. They have Brown and Tatum, why hang on to Hayward who is older and more expensive?

Hayward actually moves the ball around. Good luck with ball movement with just Kemba/Tatum/Brown out there on the perimeter for you, that's less than 8 assists total per game from those 3 guys. And like you said, he is older and expensive, what kind of value could he get back, what defensive big could Hayward get back in return? Also people continue to bash the Celtics big man rotation, yet somehow Boston has the 3rd best defense in the league right now. Trading away Hayward makes zero sense right now.

Return to The General Board